Samagam. Wearing Dastar Before Amrit? | Sikh Philosophy Network
  • Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Samagam. Wearing Dastar Before Amrit?

Currently reading:
Samagam. Wearing Dastar Before Amrit?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 21, 2012
Ok so you all know I have been practicing tying a dastar for awhile now. I feel I'd like to wear it around people a little bit prior to doing Amrit. Would it be ok to tie it for samagam this weekend at the Gurdwara? Even if most of the time I don't tie one....yet?? Or will people look down on this?

My thinking is, wear it around people gradually so it won't be all at once all of a sudden.

I DO know a lot of men who tie turban ONCE a week... for gurdwara and that's it. So why am I feeling like I might be doing something wrong?

I have to be there 4 am to help with breakfast langar, and so I need to know soon... whether or not I can / should.

Thanks!

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 21, 2012
Why on the earth will they look down upon you? Its a Gurdwara......IMO they'll be quite happy about it. Go ahead with it.
I did it!!!!!!! And I am so glad I did!!! I got nothing but compliments, and beyond that, I can't explain... except that I was treated 'differently' not that I was ever treated bad at all, but people that never really talked to me before came right to me today! Also, people from away who were here for the samagam, I had a few uncles / aunties beg me to come to samagam in their city later this Summer. It's like I was seen in a while new light!

I was so worried for nothing!!! I guess I was just scared of the change... because its so outward and not something you can hide at all.... but I guess that was the point - to stand out - why Guru Gobind Singh Ji created the uniform of the Khalsa and turban as part of that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

SPN on Facebook