• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sakhis Sakhi Guru Amardas Ji - A Few Questions?

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
SSA

I need help in understanding about Guru Amardas the third guru. I came across the booklet distributed by SGPC short stories about gurus. One of the story is about guru Amardas Ji. There is some question about the katha.

Amardas ji met Guru Angad dev ji when Amardas was in his 60’s. As the story says he did the seava by bringing water from river bis every morning. He did that for 12 years.

That make him almost about 70-75 years of age. After Amardas got the gadi from Angad Ji, he moved to goabindwal sahib. Then One of the boy Jetha ji came in touch with Amardad Ji and he was impressed by Amardas’s preaching and satyed in goandwal. There the Wife of Amardas said to her husband we should look for husband for our daughter. Guru ji asked what type of boy we should look for. The wife said like that kaka(boy) sitting in the doorway. Guru ji said he is the only boy that is like him and no other boy be like him. So they agree to marry their daught Bhani ji with Jetha ji.

What I am confused is and need help with is: The age of kaka(boy) must been about 20 years. When father and mother were close to 75-80 how their daughter be 20 or about that age? She has to be no less then 40 year old. Does this make any sense that Guru ji married his daughter of 40 or over to boy age 20.

Jetha’s name was changed to Ramdas which is normal thing. The other son-inlaw of guru was bhai Rama ji. Amardas set up a test to see who was capable of guru gadi. Ramdas passed the test by building the stage(thara) for Amardas three times.

Bhani ji use to give bath to her father every morning. One time the step stool’s leg breakdown Bhani ji put her foot or hand under the stool. There was blood on the floor. When guru ji saw the blood he was very much impressed by her action. Guru ji said to Bhani ji to ask any thing. She asked guru ji to give the gadi in her home and her olad.

Before it was the norm to give the gadi to the right man who is capable of the responsible .The question is was the test guru did to see who isw capable of gadi or was it after Bhani asked guru ji to keep it in her family?

Can any one enlighten me about it?

Seeker3k

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
What I am confused is and need help with is: The age of kaka(boy) must been about 20 years. When father and mother were close to 75-80 how their daughter be 20 or about that age? She has to be no less then 40 year old. Does this make any sense that Guru ji married his daughter of 40 or over to boy age 20. by seeker3k ji

seekr3k ji

The sakhis should be taken with a grain of salt. There are many different versions of the sakhis of the Gurus, some match better with SGGS and others do not. There are even Sikhs who refuse to believe any of them.

But about your specific question about the quoted material above. It is possible. My granfather's youngest brother was 68 years old when he married for the first time. He died at the age of 96. He married a woman who was in her late 30's and they had 2 boys when he was 70 and 74 years of age. So by the time he died, one boy was 26 and one was 22 years of age. Hope my math is correct.

On a related note. My grandfather was one of 5 brothers, and he was the 3rd in line. He died at the age of 55 and was about 25 years older than the brother described above. So how old was their father when the younger one was born? He had to be already into his senior years. The old stock was stronger than the stock of today.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM