• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Rumalas

Dr Karminder Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Sep 3, 2009
The question is does our Shabd Guru need even a second rumalla beyond the one that is necessary. ?

- 99.99 Sikhs will answer YES - and on the following grounds

1) We need to give the Guru the best, the latest, the most elaborate and most expensive. He is our Guru is he not ?

2) If we ourselves desire the best to wear we should give our Guru better ones

3) It’s a show of respect and love to the Guru. I may not have more than one pair of clothes but my Guru must have a new one everyday.

All three reasons are defective and devoid of spirituality for the following reasons:

1) The SGGS is our SHABAD Guru. The Shabd does not need to adorn the latest and most extravagant covering. Only one is needed to keep it covered when not read.

2) Correct that most human beings want variety and class in their dressing. But the Guru is not a human being.

3) Rumala = Respect ? Have we checked this equation with the SGGS to see if it is correct ?

The bottom line defect in our reasoning behind our penchant for rumalla giving is that we consider the Guru to be a human. We want to make the Guru just like us. We don’t want to make ourselves like the Guru.

So this penchant goes further.

During winter give thick rumalla. During wedding pink. During death White. During summer light.

It’s big business for the rumalla shops.

Our clergy have no interest in stopping it. They want to let sleeping dogs lie. They even twist a Gurbani verse

PREM PATOLA TEIN SEIN DITTA DHAKUN KO PATT MERI.

Meaning: O Guru your love for me acts as a dignified cover for my sins.

Our clergy recite this verse in a twisted sense when offering the rumalla to mean “we are offering a rumalla to cover / protect the Gurus dignity!!

We can see the Tamasha in Darbar Sahib. One new rumalla per 30 seconds. They don’t even open it. Just TOUCH it to the Manjee and hand it to the collector behind - who takes it right back to the shop for resale ???

JAAG LEYO MNAA JAAG LEYO KHAAN GAFUL SOEYA.

Awaken O mind ! Awaken. Why r u asleep in slumber ?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM