• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Rene Descartes

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Everyone knows the philosopher Rene Descartes?

Check out these new things I found out about him :

- When he was in his spiritual state, and attempted to further his complete knowledge...he never cut his head hair.

- He always had a comb, and would take proper care of it.

- He would wear an iron bracelet, and put one on his daughter, so they could be united forever, even if they weren't in the same room.

- He carried a small knife with him everywhere. (Reason uknown, as to what I could find out)

Interesting stuff, just thought I'd let you guys know ;)

And I'm pretty certain he never walked around naked...lol :p

Rene Descartes = Founder of Modern Western Philosophy

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
S|kH said:
Everyone knows the philosopher Rene Descartes?

Check out these new things I found out about him :

- When he was in his spiritual state, and attempted to further his complete knowledge...he never cut his head hair.

- He always had a comb, and would take proper care of it.

- He would wear an iron bracelet, and put one on his daughter, so they could be united forever, even if they weren't in the same room.

- He carried a small knife with him everywhere. (Reason uknown, as to what I could find out)

Interesting stuff, just thought I'd let you guys know ;)

And I'm pretty certain he never walked around naked...lol :p

Rene Descartes = Founder of Modern Western Philosophy

wow sikh
thats cool, but can u share the source of your information too

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Thanks Sikh ji,

Cool piece of information. Do post more about this Founder of Modern Western Philosophy in terms of the work done.

Best Regards.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
In his book discourse on method,

he states how he carries a knife,

In other books, people have written how he had came back from his "spiritual search" with longer hair, but that was kept neatly combed. (<-- Is that a word?)
[My philosophy instructor was telling the class this]

and my phil teacher also told us that he used to wear an iron bracelet and he put one on his daughter so they could be kept in union. (His daughter died when she was 6, i believe).

Then asked me why i wore an iron bracelet...he knew about Sikhism, but not the 5 K's and their meanings.

The only one that I've read where Descartes points out to it is in his book Discourse on Method and Meditations of First Philosophy. He says how he carries around a knife for reminder. But doesn't explain it in that book too well. Perhaps it was a personal thing for him?

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Off-topic: Faraday used to carry magnets to keep himself reminded of his work for magnetic fields.

So, I guess, most of the things what we do as amritdhari sikhs are just the beginning to keep ourselves reminded. And once one is in real advanced stage, then there is no need of reminders, things just carry on at conscious level.

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
S|kH said:
In his book discourse on method,

he states how he carries a knife,

In other books, people have written how he had came back from his "spiritual search" with longer hair, but that was kept neatly combed. (<-- Is that a word?)
[My philosophy instructor was telling the class this]

and my phil teacher also told us that he used to wear an iron bracelet and he put one on his daughter so they could be kept in union. (His daughter died when she was 6, i believe).

Then asked me why i wore an iron bracelet...he knew about Sikhism, but not the 5 K's and their meanings.

The only one that I've read where Descartes points out to it is in his book Discourse on Method and Meditations of First Philosophy. He says how he carries around a knife for reminder. But doesn't explain it in that book too well. Perhaps it was a personal thing for him?
Hi sIkh i think that rene descartes has nothing to do with our gurus or 5 kakaars because i dont think that Guru Gobind Singh ji ever came in contact with the works as Rene descartes (1595-1650) preceeds Guru Gobind Singh ji (1675 - 1708) , i wud logically consider it a coincidence

regards

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Actually, I never even said that Rene Descartes was a sikh, or he knew of the Gurus.

lol, I simply made this thread because I knew it was a "coincidence" and I thought it was cool and interesting.

Anyway, its a coincidence that shows the 5 K's can always symbolize various things for people who didn't even hear of Sikhism before.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: