• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Reincarnation

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Findingmyway ji,

Guru fateh.

I love your inquisitiveness,your deep desire to open as many windows for the forum members as your understanding of Gurmat will allow. The more you are able to open them within yourself, luckier we, as members of this wonderful forum will feel about Sikhi and appreciate the true meaning of Sadh Sangat.

Thanks for your candor and well thought comments which are direct to the point.

Ik Ong Kaar is not a lab experiment. Ik Ong Kaar IS..

Thanks once again and regards

Tejwant Singh

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Last Saturday during our weekly discussions, there was one discussant from Japan visiting after 20 years but first studied this particular interpretation of the Buddha’s teachings 35 years ago. Currently he is the head of the Department of research in language, brain and cognition in one of the universities in Japan but will be retiring in a year or so and plans subsequently to become a novice in Thailand.

At one point in the discussion this person said that he has doubts regarding ‘rebirth’ and wondered if this was a hindrance to any progress in the understanding of the Dharma on the whole. I quickly said, yes. Some of the points I brought up and some which I reflected on later are:

Doubt is a mental factor which is a big hindrance on the Path. However, it is to be expected that this will arise from time to time, for all of us who have not yet penetrated the Truth and become enlightened. The more the understanding is developed, the less the frequency of doubt about the nature of mind and matter. In this regard, doubt being another mental reality, knowing doubt as doubt increases both knowledge about mental realities in general, as well as the drawback of doubt itself.

In light of the above, rather than talk in terms of ‘persons’ having doubt, it is better to talk about this as being instances of the particular reality arising and falling away by conditions. This means that at any moment when otherwise there is right understanding about other aspects of the Dharma, at those instances wisdom is being developed and doubt is kept at bay. With this comes the inclination to study doubt when it arises which may otherwise be hidden as a result of labeling oneself as, “one who has doubt”, not to speak of when the conclusions made by doubt are adhered to.

In response to this latter, I pointed out the difference between 1. Blind acceptance and 2. Belief based on some preliminary level of understanding about the nature of mind and matter; and also to the difference between 3. Not knowing for sure because one knows oneself to have lots of ignorance / little understanding and 4. Outright disbelief.

In the above the first and the last are more or less equally bad, whereas the second and third are signs of understanding. It would seem that ‘outright disbelief’ is a reaction to seeing ‘blind acceptance’ as the only other option. However, if one were to go a little deeper, it becomes apparent that this is actually due to belief in cause and effect as happens in this one lifetime alone, which in fact is an inclination towards an annihilation view or otherwise a myopic vision of things.

In the case of the Japanese professor above, it seems that he was in fact missing the point of the Buddha’s teachings from the very outset. This is reflected in the fact that he was quite influenced by the findings of science as to think that the conclusions arrived at were of equal merit as that of the Buddha’s. Although he did make the distinction between direct understanding / insight and that of the study based on conventional observation and building up of concepts upon concepts and theories upon the other, he believed somehow, that the two may one day meet. And this I strongly objected to, for obvious reasons.

With this it becomes evident that one aspect of the teachings when misunderstood influences other aspects and doubt will then arise casting a shadow, making it even harder to progress along the path of right understanding.

Let us now go on to the idea of rebirth, what is it?
But first of all allow me to show the difference between rebirth and the idea of reincarnation.
Rebirth is based on the fact of Conditionality. One example of this is that consciousness and its mental concomitants arises by conditions and falls away completely but would necessarily condition the next mind moment on and on. This is contiguity condition and is one of 24 kinds of conditions. Karma is another kind of condition, the main one involved in rebirth. There are ever just these conditions, nothing continuing from one moment to the next which is unchanged.

Reincarnation on the other hand, posits some selfsame entity such as ‘soul’ continuing from one moment to the next and from life to life. Hence with regard to the idea of being reborn again, several problems arise given that we begin with a belief in that which can’t be directly observed ever, re: the soul.

But rebirth, this being based on the understanding of mind and matter arising from moment to moment, the characteristic, function and proximate cause, questioning and discarding it is in fact indicative of a problem on the part of those who do so! After all what do they know about the nature of that by which any thoughts arise at all, including those which lead to the questioning of rebirth? As far as I am concerned, it is symptomatic of the uninstructed that having a wrong understanding of the way things are, it automatically relies on past knowledge for explanations, ones that are never about the realities of the present moment.

We are swimming in the ocean of concepts, many of which are a result of the influence of science. And like science, we incline to explain everything away in terms of one theory or another, but never with any curiosity as to what goes on *now*. Even in principle, there is no inclination to study mind as an “element”, but only after reducing it to being a product of materiality, as in the case of all these studies about ‘brain’, we go by inferences based on even more concepts! Likewise ‘birth’, which in reality is a type of consciousness, science moves around concepts based on a materialistic outlook and rests satisfied with this. No mind to study the nature of seeing consciousness, hearing consciousness, thinking, attachment, kindness and so on. No clue, yet think it knows the truth.

But of course we can’t blame science. That we go along with its explanations is because deep down we have the same / similar view about what goes on, not at the level of details, but that of perception which happen from moment to moment. Indeed, all our theories and justifications are meant to feed and hence perpetuate these misperceptions, so to speak. There seems to be an attempt here to interpret Guru Nanak’s teachings on karma and rebirth in accordance to one’s own misunderstandings. This is not doing anyone any good. It reminds me of what I label; “modern commentators” in my own tradition, those who clearly have not had a moment of insight, but go on to be critical of the ancients, who on their part show not only deep understanding, but also compassion towards those of us who lack the necessary wisdom.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
findinmyway ji

Thank you for your time spent thinking about this out loud with us.

Another question! Has the term jaanam maran ever appeared in the rehao line of a shabad.? I would be curious to find out. :)

It would make a difference if that were true.

I went through all the quotes given in the article by G Singh referring to the womb. None of them are in the rahao line. All of them work beautifully when the womb is used as an analogy for the pain of transition so cannot be used as definitive proof for reincarnation but supports rebirth as illustrated above.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
posted by kggr001 ji

ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਪਰਮ ਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥੪॥੪੩॥੫੪॥ नानक ता की परम गति होइ ॥४॥४३॥५४॥ Nānak ṯā kī param gaṯ ho▫e. ||4||43||54|| O Nanak, they attain the supreme status. ||4||43||54||
ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ रामकली महला ५ ॥ Rāmkalī mėhlā 5. Raamkalee, Fifth Mehl:
ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਥੀਆ ॥ जो तिसु भावै सो थीआ ॥ Jo ṯis bẖāvai so thī▫ā. Whatever pleases Him happens.
ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਆਨ ਬੀਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ सदा सदा हरि की सरणाई प्रभ बिनु नाही आन बीआ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Saḏā saḏā har kī sarṇā▫ī parabẖ bin nāhī ān bī▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o. Forever and ever, I seek the Sanctuary of the Lord. There is none other than God. ||1||Pause||
ਪੁਤੁ ਕਲਤ੍ਰੁ ਲਖਿਮੀ ਦੀਸੈ ਇਨ ਮਹਿ ਕਿਛੂ ਨ ਸੰਗਿ ਲੀਆ ॥ पुतु कलत्रु लखिमी दीसै इन महि किछू न संगि लीआ ॥ Puṯ kalaṯar lakẖimī ḏīsai in mėh kicẖẖū na sang lī▫ā. You look upon your children, spouse and wealth; none of these will go along with you.
ਬਿਖੈ ਠਗਉਰੀ ਖਾਇ ਭੁਲਾਨਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਗਇਆ ॥੧॥ बिखै ठगउरी खाइ भुलाना माइआ मंदरु तिआगि गइआ ॥१॥ Bikẖai ṯẖag▫urī kẖā▫e bẖulānā mā▫i▫ā manḏar ṯi▫āg ga▫i▫ā. ||1|| Eating the poisonous potion, you have gone astray. You will have to go, and leave Maya and your mansions. ||1||
ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਵਿਗੂਤਾ ਗਰਭ ਜੋਨਿ ਮਹਿ ਕਿਰਤਿ ਪਇਆ ॥ निंदा करि करि बहुतु विगूता गरभ जोनि महि किरति पइआ ॥ Ninḏā kar kar bahuṯ vigūṯā garabẖ jon mėh kiraṯ pa▫i▫ā. Slandering others, you are totally ruined; because of your past actions, you shall be consigned to the womb of reincarnation.
ਪੁਰਬ ਕਮਾਣੇ ਛੋਡਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਮਦੂਤਿ ਗ੍ਰਾਸਿਓ ਮਹਾ ਭਇਆ ॥੨॥ पुरब कमाणे छोडहि नाही जमदूति ग्रासिओ महा भइआ ॥२॥ Purab kamāṇe cẖẖodėh nāhī jamḏūṯ garāsi▫o mahā bẖa▫i▫ā. ||2|| Your past actions will not just go away; the most horrible Messenger of Death shall seize you. ||2||
ਬੋਲੈ ਝੂਠੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਅਵਰਾ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਨ ਬੂਝੈ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਹਇਆ ॥ बोलै झूठु कमावै अवरा त्रिसन न बूझै बहुतु हइआ ॥ Bolai jẖūṯẖ kamāvai avrā ṯarisan na būjẖai bahuṯ ha▫i▫ā. You tell lies, and do not practice what you preach. Your desires are not satisfied - what a shame.
ਅਸਾਧ ਰੋਗੁ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਸੰਤ ਦੂਖਨਿ ਦੇਹ ਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਮਹਾ ਖਇਆ ॥੩॥ असाध रोगु उपजिआ संत दूखनि देह बिनासी महा खइआ ॥३॥ Asāḏẖ rog upji▫ā sanṯ ḏūkẖan ḏeh bināsī mahā kẖa▫i▫ā. ||3|| You have contracted an incurable disease; slandering the Saints, your body is wasting away; you are utterly ruined. ||3||
ਜਿਨਹਿ ਨਿਵਾਜੇ ਤਿਨ ਹੀ ਸਾਜੇ ਆਪੇ ਕੀਨੇ ਸੰਤ ਜਇਆ ॥ जिनहि निवाजे तिन ही साजे आपे कीने संत जइआ ॥ Jinėh nivāje ṯin hī sāje āpe kīne sanṯ ja▫i▫ā. He embellishes those whom He has fashioned. He Himself gave life to the Saints.
ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਕੰਠਿ ਲਾਇ ਰਾਖੇ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਮਇਆ ॥੪॥੪੪॥੫੫॥ नानक दास कंठि लाइ राखे करि किरपा पारब्रहम मइआ ॥४॥४४॥५५॥ Nānak ḏās kanṯẖ lā▫e rākẖe kar kirpā pārbarahm ma▫i▫ā. ||4||44||55|| O Nanak, He hugs His slaves close in His Embrace. Please grant Your Grace, O Supreme Lord God, and be kind to me as well. ||4||44||55||
ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ रामकली महला ५ ॥ Rāmkalī mėhlā 5. Raamkalee, Fifth Mehl:
ਐਸਾ ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਉ ਸਹਾਈ ॥ ऐसा पूरा गुरदेउ सहाई ॥ Aisā pūrā gurḏe▫o sahā▫ī. Such is the Perfect Divine Guru, my help and support.
ਜਾ ਕਾ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ जा का सिमरनु बिरथा न जाई ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Jā kā simran birthā na jā▫ī. ||1|| rahā▫o. Meditation on Him is not wasted. ||1||Pause||
ਦਰਸਨੁ ਪੇਖਤ ਹੋਇ ਨਿਹਾਲੁ ॥ दरसनु पेखत होइ निहालु ॥ Ḏarsan pekẖaṯ ho▫e nihāl. Gazing upon the Blessed Vision of His Darshan, I am enraptured.
ਜਾ ਕੀ ਧੂਰਿ ਕਾਟੈ ਜਮ ਜਾਲੁ ॥ जा की धूरि काटै जम जालु ॥ Jā kī ḏẖūr kātai jam jāl. The dust of His feet snaps the noose of Death.
ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਬਸੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਕੇ ॥ चरन कमल बसे मेरे मन के ॥ Cẖaran kamal base mere man ke. His lotus feet dwell within my mind,
ਕਾਰਜ ਸਵਾਰੇ ਸਗਲੇ ਤਨ ਕੇ ॥੧॥ कारज सवारे सगले तन के ॥१॥ Kāraj savāre sagle ṯan ke. ||1|| and so all the affairs of my body are arranged and resolved. ||1||
ਜਾ ਕੈ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਰਾਖੈ ਹਾਥੁ ॥ जा कै मसतकि राखै हाथु ॥ Jā kai masṯak rākẖai hāth. One upon whom He places His Hand, is protected.
ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਮੇਰੋ ਅਨਾਥ ਕੋ ਨਾਥੁ ॥ प्रभु मेरो अनाथ को नाथु ॥ Parabẖ mero anāth ko nāth. My God is the Master of the masterless.
ਪਤਿਤ ਉਧਾਰਣੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ॥ पतित उधारणु क्रिपा निधानु ॥ Paṯiṯ uḏẖāraṇ kirpā niḏẖān. He is the Savior of sinners, the treasure of mercy.
ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਜਾਈਐ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੁ ॥੨॥ सदा सदा जाईऐ कुरबानु ॥२॥ Saḏā saḏā jā▫ī▫ai kurbān. ||2|| Forever and ever, I am a sacrifice to Him. ||2||
ਨਿਰਮਲ ਮੰਤੁ ਦੇਇ ਜਿਸੁ ਦਾਨੁ ॥ निरमल मंतु देइ जिसु दानु ॥ Nirmal manṯ ḏe▫e jis ḏān. One whom He blesses with His Immaculate Mantra,
ਤਜਹਿ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਬਿਨਸੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ॥ तजहि बिकार बिनसै अभिमानु ॥ Ŧajėh bikār binsai abẖimān. renounces corruption; his egotistical pride is dispelled.
ਏਕੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਸਾਧ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ॥ एकु धिआईऐ साध कै संगि ॥ Ėk ḏẖi▫ā▫ī▫ai sāḏẖ kai sang. Meditate on the One Lord in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.
ਪਾਪ ਬਿਨਾਸੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੈ ਰੰਗਿ ॥੩॥ पाप बिनासे नाम कै रंगि ॥३॥ Pāp bināse nām kai rang. ||3|| Sins are erased, through the love of the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||3||
ਗੁਰ ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰ ਸਗਲ ਨਿਵਾਸ ॥ गुर परमेसुर सगल निवास ॥ Gur parmesur sagal nivās. The Guru, the Transcendent Lord, dwells among all.
ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਗੁਣਤਾਸ ॥ घटि घटि रवि रहिआ गुणतास ॥ Gẖat gẖat rav rahi▫ā guṇṯās. The treasure of virtue pervades and permeates each and every heart.
ਦਰਸੁ ਦੇਹਿ ਧਾਰਉ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਸ ॥ दरसु देहि धारउ प्रभ आस ॥ Ḏaras ḏėh ḏẖāra▫o parabẖ ās. Please grant me the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan;
ਨਿਤ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਚਿਤਵੈ ਸਚੁ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ॥੪॥੪੫॥੫੬॥ नित नानकु चितवै सचु अरदासि ॥४॥४५॥५६॥ Niṯ Nānak cẖiṯvai sacẖ arḏās. ||4||45||56|| O God, I place my hopes in You. Nanak continually offers this true prayer. ||4||45||56||

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ੴ सति नामु करता पुरखु निरभउ निरवैरु अकाल मूरति अजूनी सैभं गुर प्रसादि ॥ Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯ nām karṯā purakẖ nirbẖa▫o nirvair akāl mūraṯ ajūnī saibẖaʼn gur parsāḏ. One Universal Creator God. Truth Is The Name. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying. Beyond Birth. Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace:
ਰਾਗੁ ਬਿਹਾਗੜਾ ਚਉਪਦੇ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਘਰੁ ੨ ॥ रागु बिहागड़ा चउपदे महला ५ घरु २ ॥ Rāg bihāgaṛā cẖa▫upḏe mėhlā 5 gẖar 2. Raag Bihaagraa, Chau-Padas, Fifth Mehl, Second House:
ਦੂਤਨ ਸੰਗਰੀਆ ॥ दूतन संगरीआ ॥ Ḏūṯan sangrī▫ā. To associate with your arch enemies,
ਭੁਇਅੰਗਨਿ ਬਸਰੀਆ ॥ भुइअंगनि बसरीआ ॥ Bẖu▫i▫angan basrī▫ā. is to live with poisonous snakes;
ਅਨਿਕ ਉਪਰੀਆ ॥੧॥ अनिक उपरीआ ॥१॥ Anik uprī▫ā. ||1|| I have made the effort to shake them off. ||1||
ਤਉ ਮੈ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕਰੀਆ ॥ तउ मै हरि हरि करीआ ॥ Ŧa▫o mai har har karī▫ā. Then, I repeated the Name of the Lord, Har, Har,
ਤਉ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜਰੀਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ तउ सुख सहजरीआ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Ŧa▫o sukẖ sėhjarī▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o. and I obtained celestial peace. ||1||Pause||
ਮਿਥਨ ਮੋਹਰੀਆ ॥ मिथन मोहरीआ ॥ Mithan mohrī▫ā. False is the love of,
ਅਨ ਕਉ ਮੇਰੀਆ ॥ अन कउ मेरीआ ॥ An ka▫o merī▫ā. many emotional attachments,
ਵਿਚਿ ਘੂਮਨ ਘਿਰੀਆ ॥੨॥ विचि घूमन घिरीआ ॥२॥ vicẖ gẖūman gẖirī▫ā. ||2|| which suck the mortal into the whirlpool of reincarnation. ||2||
ਸਗਲ ਬਟਰੀਆ ॥ सगल बटरीआ ॥ Sagal batrī▫ā. All are travelers,
ਬਿਰਖ ਇਕ ਤਰੀਆ ॥ बिरख इक तरीआ ॥ Birakẖ ik ṯarī▫ā. who have gathered under the world-tree,
ਬਹੁ ਬੰਧਹਿ ਪਰੀਆ ॥੩॥ बहु बंधहि परीआ ॥३॥ Baho banḏẖėh parī▫ā. ||3|| and are bound by their many bonds. ||3||
ਥਿਰੁ ਸਾਧ ਸਫਰੀਆ ॥ थिरु साध सफरीआ ॥ Thir sāḏẖ safrī▫ā. Eternal is the Company of the Holy,
ਜਹ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਹਰੀਆ ॥ जह कीरतनु हरीआ ॥ Jah kīrṯan harī▫ā. where the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises are sung.
ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਨਰੀਆ ॥੪॥੧॥ नानक सरनरीआ ॥४॥१॥ Nānak sarnarī▫ā. ||4||1|| Nanak seeks this Sanctuary. ||4||1||
ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥ Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ. One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
ਰਾਗੁ ਬਿਹਾਗੜਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੯ ॥ रागु बिहागड़ा महला ९ ॥ Rāg bihāgaṛā mėhlā 9. Raag Bihaagraa, Ninth Mehl:
ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਨਹਿ ਕੋਊ ਜਾਨੈ ॥ हरि की गति नहि कोऊ जानै ॥ Har kī gaṯ nėh ko▫ū jānai. No one knows the state of the Lord.
ਜੋਗੀ ਜਤੀ ਤਪੀ ਪਚਿ ਹਾਰੇ ਅਰੁ ਬਹੁ ਲੋਗ ਸਿਆਨੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ जोगी जती तपी पचि हारे अरु बहु लोग सिआने ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Jogī jaṯī ṯapī pacẖ hāre ar baho log si▫āne. ||1|| rahā▫o. The Yogis, the celibates, the penitents, and all sorts of clever people have failed. ||1||Pause||
ਛਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਉ ਰੰਕ ਕਉ ਕਰਈ ਰਾਉ ਰੰਕ ਕਰਿ ਡਾਰੇ ॥ छिन महि राउ रंक कउ करई राउ रंक करि डारे ॥ Cẖẖin mėh rā▫o rank ka▫o kar▫ī rā▫o rank kar dāre. In an instant, He changes the beggar into a king, and the king into a beggar.
ਰੀਤੇ ਭਰੇ ਭਰੇ ਸਖਨਾਵੈ ਯਹ ਤਾ ਕੋ ਬਿਵਹਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ रीते भरे भरे सखनावै यह ता को बिवहारे ॥१॥ Rīṯe bẖare bẖare sakẖnāvai yėh ṯā ko bivhāre. ||1|| He fills what is empty, and empties what is full - such are His ways. ||1||
ਅਪਨੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਆਪਿ ਪਸਾਰੀ ਆਪਹਿ ਦੇਖਨਹਾਰਾ ॥ अपनी माइआ आपि पसारी आपहि देखनहारा ॥ Apnī mā▫i▫ā āp pasārī āpėh ḏekẖanhārā. He Himself spread out the expanse of His Maya, and He Himself beholds it.
ਨਾਨਾ ਰੂਪੁ ਧਰੇ ਬਹੁ ਰੰਗੀ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਰਹੈ ਨਿਆਰਾ ॥੨॥ नाना रूपु धरे बहु रंगी सभ ते रहै निआरा ॥२॥ Nānā rūp ḏẖare baho rangī sabẖ ṯe rahai ni▫ārā. ||2|| He assumes so many forms, and plays so many games, and yet, He remains detached from it all. ||2||
ਅਗਨਤ ਅਪਾਰੁ ਅਲਖ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਜਿਹ ਸਭ ਜਗੁ ਭਰਮਾਇਓ ॥ अगनत अपारु अलख निरंजन जिह सभ जगु भरमाइओ ॥ Agnaṯ apār alakẖ niranjan jih sabẖ jag bẖarmā▫i▫o. Incalculable, infinite, incomprehensible and immaculate is He, who has misled the entire world.
ਸਗਲ ਭਰਮ ਤਜਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਚਰਨਿ ਤਾਹਿ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇਓ ॥੩॥੧॥੨॥ सगल भरम तजि नानक प्राणी चरनि ताहि चितु लाइओ ॥३॥१॥२॥ Sagal bẖaram ṯaj Nānak parāṇī cẖaran ṯāhi cẖiṯ lā▫i▫o. ||3||1||2|| Cast off all your doubts; prays Nanak, O mortal, focus your consciousness on His Feet. ||3||1||2||
ਰਾਗੁ ਬਿਹਾਗੜਾ ਛੰਤ ਮਹਲਾ ੪ ਘਰੁ ੧ रागु बिहागड़ा छंत महला ४ घरु १ Rāg bihāgaṛā cẖẖanṯ mėhlā 4 gẖar 1 Raag Bihaagraa, Chhant, Fourth Mehl, First House:
ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥ Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ. One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਮੋਲੇ ਰਾਮ ॥ हरि हरि नामु धिआईऐ मेरी जिंदुड़ीए गुरमुखि नामु अमोले राम ॥ Har har nām ḏẖi▫ā▫ī▫ai merī jinḏuṛī▫e gurmukẖ nām amole rām. Meditate on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my soul; as Gurmukh, meditate on the invaluable Name of the Lord.
ਹਰਿ ਰਸਿ ਬੀਧਾ ਹਰਿ ਮਨੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਰਸਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਝਕੋਲੇ ਰਾਮ ॥ हरि रसि बीधा हरि मनु पिआरा मनु हरि रसि नामि झकोले राम ॥ Har ras bīḏẖā har man pi▫ārā man har ras nām jẖakole rām. My mind is pierced through by the sublime essence of the Lord's Name. The Lord is dear to my mind. With the sublime essence of the Lord's Name, my mind is washed clean.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀਉ ਕਾ ਚਉਪਦਾ ਘਰੁ ੨ ਦੂਜਾ ॥ स्री कबीर जीउ का चउपदा घरु २ दूजा ॥ Sarī Kabīr jī▫o kā cẖa▫upaḏā gẖar 2 ḏūjā. Chau-Padas Of Kabeer Jee, Second House:
ਚਾਰਿ ਪਾਵ ਦੁਇ ਸਿੰਗ ਗੁੰਗ ਮੁਖ ਤਬ ਕੈਸੇ ਗੁਨ ਗਈਹੈ ॥ चारि पाव दुइ सिंग गुंग मुख तब कैसे गुन गईहै ॥ Cẖār pāv ḏu▫e sing gung mukẖ ṯab kaise gun ga▫īhai. With four feet, two horns and a mute mouth, how could you sing the Praises of the Lord?
ਊਠਤ ਬੈਠਤ ਠੇਗਾ ਪਰਿਹੈ ਤਬ ਕਤ ਮੂਡ ਲੁਕਈਹੈ ॥੧॥ ऊठत बैठत ठेगा परिहै तब कत मूड लुकईहै ॥१॥ Ūṯẖaṯ baiṯẖaṯ ṯẖegā parihai ṯab kaṯ mūd luka▫īhai. ||1|| Standing up and sitting down, the stick shall still fall on you, so where will you hide your head? ||1||
ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਬੈਲ ਬਿਰਾਨੇ ਹੁਈਹੈ ॥ हरि बिनु बैल बिराने हुईहै ॥ Har bin bail birāne hu▫īhai. Without the Lord, you are like a stray ox;
ਫਾਟੇ ਨਾਕਨ ਟੂਟੇ ਕਾਧਨ ਕੋਦਉ ਕੋ ਭੁਸੁ ਖਈਹੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ फाटे नाकन टूटे काधन कोदउ को भुसु खईहै ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Fāte nākan tūte kāḏẖan koḏa▫o ko bẖus kẖa▫īhai. ||1|| rahā▫o. with your nose torn, and your shoulders injured, you shall have only the straw of co{censored} grain to eat. ||1||Pause||
ਸਾਰੋ ਦਿਨੁ ਡੋਲਤ ਬਨ ਮਹੀਆ ਅਜਹੁ ਨ ਪੇਟ ਅਘਈਹੈ ॥ सारो दिनु डोलत बन महीआ अजहु न पेट अघईहै ॥ Sāro ḏin dolaṯ ban mahī▫ā ajahu na pet agẖ▫īhai. All day long, you shall wander in the forest, and even then, your belly will not be full.
ਜਨ ਭਗਤਨ ਕੋ ਕਹੋ ਨ ਮਾਨੋ ਕੀਓ ਅਪਨੋ ਪਈਹੈ ॥੨॥ जन भगतन को कहो न मानो कीओ अपनो पईहै ॥२॥ Jan bẖagṯan ko kaho na māno kī▫o apno pa▫īhai. ||2|| You did not follow the advice of the humble devotees, and so you shall obtain the fruits of your actions. ||2||
ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਕਰਤ ਮਹਾ ਭ੍ਰਮਿ ਬੂਡੋ ਅਨਿਕ ਜੋਨਿ ਭਰਮਈਹੈ ॥ दुख सुख करत महा भ्रमि बूडो अनिक जोनि भरमईहै ॥ Ḏukẖ sukẖ karaṯ mahā bẖaram būdo anik jon bẖaram▫īhai. Enduring pleasure and pain, drowned in the great ocean of doubt, you shall wander in numerous reincarnations.
ਰਤਨ ਜਨਮੁ ਖੋਇਓ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਇਹੁ ਅਉਸਰੁ ਕਤ ਪਈਹੈ ॥੩॥ रतन जनमु खोइओ प्रभु बिसरिओ इहु अउसरु कत पईहै ॥३॥ Raṯan janam kẖo▫i▫o parabẖ bisri▫o ih a▫osar kaṯ pa▫īhai. ||3|| You have lost the jewel of human birth by forgetting God; when will you have such an opportunity again? ||3||
ਭ੍ਰਮਤ ਫਿਰਤ ਤੇਲਕ ਕੇ ਕਪਿ ਜਿਉ ਗਤਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਰੈਨਿ ਬਿਹਈਹੈ ॥ भ्रमत फिरत तेलक के कपि जिउ गति बिनु रैनि बिहईहै ॥ Bẖarmaṯ firaṯ ṯelak ke kap ji▫o gaṯ bin rain bih▫īhai. You turn on the wheel of reincarnation, like an ox at the oil-press; the night of your life passes away without salvation.
ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਮੂੰਡ ਧੁਨੇ ਪਛੁਤਈਹੈ ॥੪॥੧॥ कहत कबीर राम नाम बिनु मूंड धुने पछुतईहै ॥४॥१॥ Kahaṯ Kabīr rām nām bin mūnd ḏẖune pacẖẖuṯ▫īhai. ||4||1|| Says Kabeer, without the Name of the Lord, you shall pound your head, and regret and repent. ||4||1||
ਗੂਜਰੀ ਘਰੁ ੩ ॥ गूजरी घरु ३ ॥ Gūjrī gẖar 3. Goojaree, Third House:
ਮੁਸਿ ਮੁਸਿ ਰੋਵੈ ਕਬੀਰ ਕੀ ਮਾਈ ॥ मुसि मुसि रोवै कबीर की माई ॥ Mus mus rovai Kabīr kī mā▫ī. Kabeer's mother sobs, cries and bewails -
ਏ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਕੈਸੇ ਜੀਵਹਿ ਰਘੁਰਾਈ ॥੧॥ ए बारिक कैसे जीवहि रघुराई ॥१॥ Ė bārik kaise jīvėh ragẖurā▫ī. ||1|| O Lord, how will my grandchildren live? ||1||
ਤਨਨਾ ਬੁਨਨਾ ਸਭੁ ਤਜਿਓ ਹੈ ਕਬੀਰ ॥ तनना बुनना सभु तजिओ है कबीर ॥ Ŧannā bunnā sabẖ ṯaji▫o hai Kabīr. Kabeer has given up all his spinning and weaving,
ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਿਖਿ ਲੀਓ ਸਰੀਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ हरि का नामु लिखि लीओ सरीर ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Har kā nām likẖ lī▫o sarīr. ||1|| rahā▫o. and written the Name of the Lord on his body. ||1||Pause||
ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਤਾਗਾ ਬਾਹਉ ਬੇਹੀ ॥ जब लगु तागा बाहउ बेही ॥ Jab lag ṯāgā bāha▫o behī. As long as I pass the thread through the bobbin,
ਤਬ ਲਗੁ ਬਿਸਰੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਸਨੇਹੀ ॥੨॥ तब लगु बिसरै रामु सनेही ॥२॥ Ŧab lag bisrai rām sanehī. ||2|| I forget the Lord, my Beloved. ||2||
ਓਛੀ ਮਤਿ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਜੁਲਾਹਾ ॥ ओछी मति मेरी जाति जुलाहा ॥ Ocẖẖī maṯ merī jāṯ julāhā. My intellect is lowly - I am a weaver by birth,
ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਹਿਓ ਮੈ ਲਾਹਾ ॥੩॥ हरि का नामु लहिओ मै लाहा ॥३॥ Har kā nām lahi▫o mai lāhā. ||3|| but I have earned the profit of the Name of the Lord. ||3||
ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਮੇਰੀ ਮਾਈ ॥ कहत कबीर सुनहु मेरी माई ॥ Kahaṯ Kabīr sunhu merī mā▫ī. Says Kabeer, listen, O my mother -
ਹਮਰਾ ਇਨ ਕਾ ਦਾਤਾ ਏਕੁ ਰਘੁਰਾਈ ॥੪॥੨॥ हमरा इन का दाता एकु रघुराई ॥४॥२॥ Hamrā in kā ḏāṯā ek ragẖurā▫ī. ||4||2|| the Lord alone is the Provider, for me and my children. ||4||2||

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਹੂਨੇ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਹੋਤ ਜਾਤ ਸਭੁ ਧੂਰ ॥੧॥ नाम बिहूने नानका होत जात सभु धूर ॥१॥ Nām bihūne nānkā hoṯ jāṯ sabẖ ḏẖūr. ||1|| Without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, O Nanak, all are reduced to dust. ||1||
ਪਵੜੀ ॥ पवड़ी ॥ Pavṛī. Pauree:
ਧਧਾ ਧੂਰਿ ਪੁਨੀਤ ਤੇਰੇ ਜਨੂਆ ॥ धधा धूरि पुनीत तेरे जनूआ ॥ Ḏẖaḏẖā ḏẖūr punīṯ ṯere janū▫ā. DHADHA: The dust of the feet of the Saints is sacred.
ਧਨਿ ਤੇਊ ਜਿਹ ਰੁਚ ਇਆ ਮਨੂਆ ॥ धनि तेऊ जिह रुच इआ मनूआ ॥ Ḏẖan ṯe▫ū jih rucẖ i▫ā manū▫ā. Blessed are those whose minds are filled with this longing.
ਧਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਬਾਛਹਿ ਸੁਰਗ ਨ ਆਛਹਿ ॥ धनु नही बाछहि सुरग न आछहि ॥ Ḏẖan nahī bācẖẖėh surag na ācẖẖėh. They do not seek wealth, and they do not desire paradise.
ਅਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਸਾਧ ਰਜ ਰਾਚਹਿ ॥ अति प्रिअ प्रीति साध रज राचहि ॥ Aṯ pari▫a parīṯ sāḏẖ raj rācẖėh. They are immersed in the deep love of their Beloved, and the dust of the feet of the Holy.
ਧੰਧੇ ਕਹਾ ਬਿਆਪਹਿ ਤਾਹੂ ॥ धंधे कहा बिआपहि ताहू ॥ Ḏẖanḏẖe kahā bi▫āpahi ṯāhū. How can worldly affairs affect those,
ਜੋ ਏਕ ਛਾਡਿ ਅਨ ਕਤਹਿ ਨ ਜਾਹੂ ॥ जो एक छाडि अन कतहि न जाहू ॥ Jo ek cẖẖād an kaṯėh na jāhū. who do not abandon the One Lord, and who go nowhere else?
ਜਾ ਕੈ ਹੀਐ ਦੀਓ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਨਾਮ ॥ जा कै हीऐ दीओ प्रभ नाम ॥ Jā kai hī▫ai ḏī▫o parabẖ nām. One whose heart is filled with God's Name,
ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਧ ਪੂਰਨ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੪॥ नानक साध पूरन भगवान ॥४॥ Nānak sāḏẖ pūran bẖagvān. ||4|| O Nanak, is a perfect spiritual being of God. ||4||
ਸਲੋਕ ॥ सलोक ॥ Salok. Shalok:
ਅਨਿਕ ਭੇਖ ਅਰੁ ਙਿਆਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਮਨਹਠਿ ਮਿਲਿਅਉ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥ अनिक भेख अरु ङिआन धिआन मनहठि मिलिअउ न कोइ ॥ Anik bẖekẖ ar ńi▫ān ḏẖi▫ān manhaṯẖ mili▫a▫o na ko▫e. By all sorts of religious robes, knowledge, meditation and stubborn-mindedness, no one has ever met God.
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਭਈ ਭਗਤੁ ਙਿਆਨੀ ਸੋਇ ॥੧॥ कहु नानक किरपा भई भगतु ङिआनी सोइ ॥१॥ Kaho Nānak kirpā bẖa▫ī bẖagaṯ ńi▫ānī so▫e. ||1|| Says Nanak, those upon whom God showers His Mercy, are devotees of spiritual wisdom. ||1||
ਪਉੜੀ ॥ पउड़ी ॥ Pa▫oṛī. Pauree:
ਙੰਙਾ ਙਿਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਮੁਖ ਬਾਤਉ ॥ ङंङा ङिआनु नही मुख बातउ ॥ Ńańā ńi▫ān nahī mukẖ bāṯa▫o. NGANGA: Spiritual wisdom is not obtained by mere words of mouth.
ਅਨਿਕ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਰਿ ਭਾਤਉ ॥ अनिक जुगति सासत्र करि भातउ ॥ Anik jugaṯ sāsṯar kar bẖāṯa▫o. It is not obtained through the various debates of the Shaastras and scriptures.
ਙਿਆਨੀ ਸੋਇ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ ਸੋਊ ॥ ङिआनी सोइ जा कै द्रिड़ सोऊ ॥ Ńi▫ānī so▫e jā kai ḏariṛ so▫ū. They alone are spiritually wise, whose minds are firmly fixed on the Lord.
ਕਹਤ ਸੁਨਤ ਕਛੁ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਹੋਊ ॥ कहत सुनत कछु जोगु न होऊ ॥ Kahaṯ sunaṯ kacẖẖ jog na ho▫ū. Hearing and telling stories, no one attains Yoga.
ਙਿਆਨੀ ਰਹਤ ਆਗਿਆ ਦ੍ਰਿੜੁ ਜਾ ਕੈ ॥ ङिआनी रहत आगिआ द्रिड़ु जा कै ॥ Ńi▫ānī rahaṯ āgi▫ā ḏariṛ jā kai. They alone are spiritually wise, who remain firmly committed to the Lord's Command.
ਉਸਨ ਸੀਤ ਸਮਸਰਿ ਸਭ ਤਾ ਕੈ ॥ उसन सीत समसरि सभ ता कै ॥ Usan sīṯ samsar sabẖ ṯā kai. Heat and cold are all the same to them.
ਙਿਆਨੀ ਤਤੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੀਚਾਰੀ ॥ ङिआनी ततु गुरमुखि बीचारी ॥ Ńi▫ānī ṯaṯ gurmukẖ bīcẖārī. The true people of spiritual wisdom are the Gurmukhs, who contemplate the essence of reality;
ਨਾਨਕ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰੀ ॥੫॥ नानक जा कउ किरपा धारी ॥५॥ Nānak jā ka▫o kirpā ḏẖārī. ||5|| O Nanak, the Lord showers His Mercy upon them. ||5||
ਸਲੋਕੁ ॥ सलोकु ॥ Salok. Shalok:
ਆਵਨ ਆਏ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਮਹਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਬੂਝੇ ਪਸੁ ਢੋਰ ॥ आवन आए स्रिसटि महि बिनु बूझे पसु ढोर ॥ Āvan ā▫e sarisat mėh bin būjẖe pas dẖor. Those who have come into the world without understanding are like animals and beasts.
ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸੋ ਬੁਝੈ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਭਾਗ ਮਥੋਰ ॥੧॥ नानक गुरमुखि सो बुझै जा कै भाग मथोर ॥१॥ Nānak gurmukẖ so bujẖai jā kai bẖāg mathor. ||1|| O Nanak, those who become Gurmukh understand; upon their foreheads is such pre-ordained destiny. ||1||
ਯਾ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਏਕਹਿ ਕਉ ਆਇਆ ॥ या जुग महि एकहि कउ आइआ ॥ Yā jug mėh ekėh ka▫o ā▫i▫ā. They have come into this world to meditate on the One Lord.
ਜਨਮਤ ਮੋਹਿਓ ਮੋਹਨੀ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ जनमत मोहिओ मोहनी माइआ ॥ Janmaṯ mohi▫o mohnī mā▫i▫ā. But ever since their birth, they have been enticed by the fascination of Maya.
ਗਰਭ ਕੁੰਟ ਮਹਿ ਉਰਧ ਤਪ ਕਰਤੇ ॥ गरभ कुंट महि उरध तप करते ॥ Garabẖ kunt mėh uraḏẖ ṯap karṯe. Upside-down in the chamber of the womb, they performed intense meditation.
ਸਾਸਿ ਸਾਸਿ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਰਹਤੇ ॥ सासि सासि सिमरत प्रभु रहते ॥ Sās sās simraṯ parabẖ rahṯe. They remembered God in meditation with each and every breath.
ਉਰਝਿ ਪਰੇ ਜੋ ਛੋਡਿ ਛਡਾਨਾ ॥ उरझि परे जो छोडि छडाना ॥ Urajẖ pare jo cẖẖod cẖẖadānā. But now, they are entangled in things which they must leave behind.
ਦੇਵਨਹਾਰੁ ਮਨਹਿ ਬਿਸਰਾਨਾ ॥ देवनहारु मनहि बिसराना ॥ Ḏevanhār manėh bisrānā. They forget the Great Giver from their minds.
ਧਾਰਹੁ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਜਿਸਹਿ ਗੁਸਾਈ ॥ धारहु किरपा जिसहि गुसाई ॥ Ḏẖārahu kirpā jisahi gusā▫ī. Those upon whom the Lord showers His Mercy,
ਇਤ ਉਤ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਸੁ ਬਿਸਰਹੁ ਨਾਹੀ ॥੬॥ इत उत नानक तिसु बिसरहु नाही ॥६॥ Iṯ uṯ Nānak ṯis bisrahu nāhī. ||6|| O Nanak, they do not forget Him, here or hereafter. ||6||
ਆਵਤ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਬਿਨਾਸ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਆਗਿਆ ਭਿੰਨ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥ आवत हुकमि बिनास हुकमि आगिआ भिंन न कोइ ॥ Āvaṯ hukam binās hukam āgi▫ā bẖinn na ko▫e. By His Command, we come, and by His Command, we go; no one is beyond His Command.
ਆਵਨ ਜਾਨਾ ਤਿਹ ਮਿਟੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਹ ਮਨਿ ਸੋਇ ॥੧॥ आवन जाना तिह मिटै नानक जिह मनि सोइ ॥१॥ Āvan jānā ṯih mitai Nānak jih man so▫e. ||1|| Coming and going in reincarnation is ended, O Nanak, for those whose minds are filled with the Lord. ||1||
ਏਊ ਜੀਅ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਗ੍ਰਭ ਵਾਸੇ ॥ एऊ जीअ बहुतु ग्रभ वासे ॥ Ė▫ū jī▫a bahuṯ garabẖ vāse. This soul has lived in many wombs.
ਮੋਹ ਮਗਨ ਮੀਠ ਜੋਨਿ ਫਾਸੇ ॥ मोह मगन मीठ जोनि फासे ॥ Moh magan mīṯẖ jon fāse. Enticed by sweet attachment, it has been trapped in reincarnation.
ਇਨਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਬਸਿ ਕੀਨੇ ॥ इनि माइआ त्रै गुण बसि कीने ॥ In mā▫i▫ā ṯarai guṇ bas kīne. This Maya has subjugated beings through the three qualities.
ਆਪਨ ਮੋਹ ਘਟੇ ਘਟਿ ਦੀਨੇ ॥ आपन मोह घटे घटि दीने ॥ Āpan moh gẖate gẖat ḏīne. Maya has infused attachment to itself in each and every heart.
ਏ ਸਾਜਨ ਕਛੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥ ए साजन कछु कहहु उपाइआ ॥ Ė sājan kacẖẖ kahhu upā▫i▫ā. O friend, tell me some way,
ਜਾ ਤੇ ਤਰਉ ਬਿਖਮ ਇਹ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ जा ते तरउ बिखम इह माइआ ॥ Jā ṯe ṯara▫o bikẖam ih mā▫i▫ā. by which I may swim across this treacherous ocean of Maya.
ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਸਤਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਏ ॥ करि किरपा सतसंगि मिलाए ॥ Kar kirpā saṯsang milā▫e. The Lord showers His Mercy, and leads us to join the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation.
ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਨ ਮਾਏ ॥੭॥ नानक ता कै निकटि न माए ॥७॥ Nānak ṯā kai nikat na mā▫e. ||7|| O Nanak, Maya does not even come near. ||7||
ਕਿਰਤ ਕਮਾਵਨ ਸੁਭ ਅਸੁਭ ਕੀਨੇ ਤਿਨਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਆਪਿ ॥ किरत कमावन सुभ असुभ कीने तिनि प्रभि आपि ॥ Kiraṯ kamāvan subẖ asubẖ kīne ṯin parabẖ āp. God Himself causes one to perform good and bad actions.
ਪਸੁ ਆਪਨ ਹਉ ਹਉ ਕਰੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਹਾ ਕਮਾਤਿ ॥੧॥ पसु आपन हउ हउ करै नानक बिनु हरि कहा कमाति ॥१॥ Pas āpan ha▫o ha▫o karai Nānak bin har kahā kamāṯ. ||1|| The beast indulges in egotism, selfishness and conceit; O Nanak, without the Lord, what can anyone do? ||1||
ਏਕਹਿ ਆਪਿ ਕਰਾਵਨਹਾਰਾ ॥ एकहि आपि करावनहारा ॥ Ėkėh āp karāvanhārā. The One Lord Himself is the Cause of all actions.
ਆਪਹਿ ਪਾਪ ਪੁੰਨ ਬਿਸਥਾਰਾ ॥ आपहि पाप पुंन बिसथारा ॥ Āpėh pāp punn bisthārā. He Himself distributes sins and noble acts.
ਇਆ ਜੁਗ ਜਿਤੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਆਪਹਿ ਲਾਇਓ ॥ इआ जुग जितु जितु आपहि लाइओ ॥ I▫ā jug jiṯ jiṯ āpėh lā▫i▫o. In this age, people are attached as the Lord attaches them.
ਸੋ ਸੋ ਪਾਇਓ ਜੁ ਆਪਿ ਦਿਵਾਇਓ ॥ सो सो पाइओ जु आपि दिवाइओ ॥ So so pā▫i▫o jo āp divā▫i▫o. They receive that which the Lord Himself gives.
ਉਆ ਕਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਜਾਨੈ ਕੋਊ ॥ उआ का अंतु न जानै कोऊ ॥ U▫ā kā anṯ na jānai ko▫ū. No one knows His limits.
ਜੋ ਜੋ ਕਰੈ ਸੋਊ ਫੁਨਿ ਹੋਊ ॥ जो जो करै सोऊ फुनि होऊ ॥ Jo jo karai so▫ū fun ho▫ū. Whatever He does, comes to pass.
ਏਕਹਿ ਤੇ ਸਗਲਾ ਬਿਸਥਾਰਾ ॥ एकहि ते सगला बिसथारा ॥ Ėkėh ṯe saglā bisthārā. From the One, the entire expanse of the Universe emanated.
ਨਾਨਕ ਆਪਿ ਸਵਾਰਨਹਾਰਾ ॥੮॥ नानक आपि सवारनहारा ॥८॥ Nānak āp savāranhārā. ||8|| O Nanak, He Himself is our Saving Grace. ||8||
ਰਾਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਬਨਿਤਾ ਬਿਨੋਦ ਕੁਸਮ ਰੰਗ ਬਿਖ ਸੋਰ ॥ राचि रहे बनिता बिनोद कुसम रंग बिख सोर ॥ Rācẖ rahe baniṯā binoḏ kusam rang bikẖ sor. Man remains engrossed in women and playful pleasures; the tumult of his passion is like the dye of the safflower, which fades away all too soon.
ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਹ ਸਰਨੀ ਪਰਉ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਜਾਇ ਮੈ ਮੋਰ ॥੧॥ नानक तिह सरनी परउ बिनसि जाइ मै मोर ॥१॥ Nānak ṯih sarnī para▫o binas jā▫e mai mor. ||1|| O Nanak, seek God's Sanctuary, and your selfishness and conceit shall be taken away. ||1||

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥ माझ महला ३ ॥ Mājẖ mėhlā 3. Maajh, Third Mehl:
ਇਸੁ ਗੁਫਾ ਮਹਿ ਅਖੁਟ ਭੰਡਾਰਾ ॥ इसु गुफा महि अखुट भंडारा ॥ Is gufā mėh akẖut bẖandārā. Within this cave, there is an inexhaustible treasure.
ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਵਸੈ ਹਰਿ ਅਲਖ ਅਪਾਰਾ ॥ तिसु विचि वसै हरि अलख अपारा ॥ Ŧis vicẖ vasai har alakẖ apārā. Within this cave, the Invisible and Infinite Lord abides.
ਆਪੇ ਗੁਪਤੁ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੈ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਆਪੁ ਵੰਞਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ आपे गुपतु परगटु है आपे गुर सबदी आपु वंञावणिआ ॥१॥ Āpe gupaṯ pargat hai āpe gur sabḏī āp vañāvaṇ▫i▫ā. ||1|| He Himself is hidden, and He Himself is revealed; through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, selfishness and conceit are eliminated. ||1||
ਹਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਜੀਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਵਣਿਆ ॥ हउ वारी जीउ वारी अम्रित नामु मंनि वसावणिआ ॥ Ha▫o vārī jī▫o vārī amriṯ nām man vasāvaṇi▫ā. I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who enshrine the Ambrosial Naam, the Name of the Lord, within their minds.
ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਹਾ ਰਸੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਆਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ अम्रित नामु महा रसु मीठा गुरमती अम्रितु पीआवणिआ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Amriṯ nām mahā ras mīṯẖā gurmaṯī amriṯ pī▫āvṇi▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o. The taste of the Ambrosial Naam is very sweet! Through the Guru's Teachings, drink in this Ambrosial Nectar. ||1||Pause||
ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ਬਜਰ ਕਪਾਟ ਖੁਲਾਇਆ ॥ हउमै मारि बजर कपाट खुलाइआ ॥ Ha▫umai mār bajar kapāt kẖulā▫i▫ā. Subduing egotism, the rigid doors are opened.
ਨਾਮੁ ਅਮੋਲਕੁ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ नामु अमोलकु गुर परसादी पाइआ ॥ Nām amolak gur parsādī pā▫i▫ā. The Priceless Naam is obtained by Guru's Grace.
ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਏ ਕੋਈ ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੨॥ बिनु सबदै नामु न पाए कोई गुर किरपा मंनि वसावणिआ ॥२॥ Bin sabḏai nām na pā▫e ko▫ī gur kirpā man vasāvaṇi▫ā. ||2|| Without the Shabad, the Naam is not obtained. By Guru's Grace, it is implanted within the mind. ||2||
ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨ ਅੰਜਨੁ ਸਚੁ ਨੇਤ੍ਰੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ गुर गिआन अंजनु सचु नेत्री पाइआ ॥ Gur gi▫ān anjan sacẖ neṯrī pā▫i▫ā. The Guru has applied the true ointment of spiritual wisdom to my eyes.
ਅੰਤਰਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਅੰਧੇਰੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥ अंतरि चानणु अगिआनु अंधेरु गवाइआ ॥ Anṯar cẖānaṇ agi▫ān anḏẖer gavā▫i▫ā. Deep within, the Divine Light has dawned, and the darkness of ignorance has been dispelled.
ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲੀ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਿ ਸੋਭਾ ਪਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੩॥ जोती जोति मिली मनु मानिआ हरि दरि सोभा पावणिआ ॥३॥ Joṯī joṯ milī man māni▫ā har ḏar sobẖā pāvṇi▫ā. ||3|| My light has merged into the Light; my mind has surrendered, and I am blessed with Glory in the Court of the Lord. ||3||
ਸਰੀਰਹੁ ਭਾਲਣਿ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਜਾਏ ॥ सरीरहु भालणि को बाहरि जाए ॥ Sarīrahu bẖālaṇ ko bāhar jā▫e. Those who look outside the body, searching for the Lord,
ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਲਹੈ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਵੇਗਾਰਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਏ ॥ नामु न लहै बहुतु वेगारि दुखु पाए ॥ Nām na lahai bahuṯ vegār ḏukẖ pā▫e. shall not receive the Naam; they shall instead be forced to suffer the terrible pains of slavery.
ਮਨਮੁਖ ਅੰਧੇ ਸੂਝੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਫਿਰਿ ਘਿਰਿ ਆਇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵਥੁ ਪਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੪॥ मनमुख अंधे सूझै नाही फिरि घिरि आइ गुरमुखि वथु पावणिआ ॥४॥ Manmukẖ anḏẖe sūjẖai nāhī fir gẖir ā▫e gurmukẖ vath pāvṇi▫ā. ||4|| The blind, self-willed manmukhs do not understand; but when they return once again to their own home, then, as Gurmukh, they find the genuine article. ||4||
ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਸਚਾ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਏ ॥ गुर परसादी सचा हरि पाए ॥ Gur parsādī sacẖā har pā▫e. By Guru's Grace, the True Lord is found.
ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਜਾਏ ॥ मनि तनि वेखै हउमै मैलु जाए ॥ Man ṯan vekẖai ha▫umai mail jā▫e. Within your mind and body, see the Lord, and the filth of egotism shall depart.
ਬੈਸਿ ਸੁਥਾਨਿ ਸਦ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ਸਚੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਮਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੫॥ बैसि सुथानि सद हरि गुण गावै सचै सबदि समावणिआ ॥५॥ Bais suthān saḏ har guṇ gāvai sacẖai sabaḏ samāvaṇi▫ā. ||5|| Sitting in that place, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord forever, and be absorbed in the True Word of the Shabad. ||5||
ਨਉ ਦਰ ਠਾਕੇ ਧਾਵਤੁ ਰਹਾਏ ॥ नउ दर ठाके धावतु रहाए ॥ Na▫o ḏar ṯẖāke ḏẖāvaṯ rahā▫e. Those who close off the nine gates, and restrain the wandering mind,
ਦਸਵੈ ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਵਾਸਾ ਪਾਏ ॥ दसवै निज घरि वासा पाए ॥ Ḏasvai nij gẖar vāsā pā▫e. come to dwell in the Home of the Tenth Gate.
ਓਥੈ ਅਨਹਦ ਸਬਦ ਵਜਹਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੬॥ ओथै अनहद सबद वजहि दिनु राती गुरमती सबदु सुणावणिआ ॥६॥ Othai anhaḏ sabaḏ vajėh ḏin rāṯī gurmaṯī sabaḏ suṇāvṇi▫ā. ||6|| There, the Unstruck Melody of the Shabad vibrates day and night. Through the Guru's Teachings, the Shabad is heard. ||6||
ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਆਨੇਰਾ ॥ बिनु सबदै अंतरि आनेरा ॥ Bin sabḏai anṯar ānerā. Without the Shabad, there is only darkness within.
ਨ ਵਸਤੁ ਲਹੈ ਨ ਚੂਕੈ ਫੇਰਾ ॥ न वसतु लहै न चूकै फेरा ॥ Na vasaṯ lahai na cẖūkai ferā. The genuine article is not found, and the cycle of reincarnation does not end.
ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ सतिगुर हथि कुंजी होरतु दरु खुलै नाही गुरु पूरै भागि मिलावणिआ ॥७॥ Saṯgur hath kunjī horaṯ ḏar kẖulai nāhī gur pūrai bẖāg milāvaṇi▫ā. ||7|| The key is in the hands of the True Guru; no one else can open this door. By perfect destiny, He is met. ||7||
ਗੁਪਤੁ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਤੂੰ ਸਭਨੀ ਥਾਈ ॥ गुपतु परगटु तूं सभनी थाई ॥ Gupaṯ pargat ṯūʼn sabẖnī thā▫ī. You are the hidden and the revealed in all places.
ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਮਿਲਿ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਈ ॥ गुर परसादी मिलि सोझी पाई ॥ Gur parsādī mil sojẖī pā▫ī. Receiving Guru's Grace, this understanding is obtained.
ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਲਾਹਿ ਸਦਾ ਤੂੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੮॥੨੪॥੨੫॥ नानक नामु सलाहि सदा तूं गुरमुखि मंनि वसावणिआ ॥८॥२४॥२५॥ Nānak nām salāhi saḏā ṯūʼn gurmukẖ man vasāvaṇi▫ā. ||8||24||25|| O Nanak, praise the Naam forever; as Gurmukh, enshrine it within the mind. ||8||24||25||
ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥ माझ महला ३ ॥ Mājẖ mėhlā 3. Maajh, Third Mehl:
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਮਿਲਾਏ ਆਪੇ ॥ गुरमुखि मिलै मिलाए आपे ॥ Gurmukẖ milai milā▫e āpe. The Gurmukhs meet the Lord, and inspire others to meet Him as well.
ਕਾਲੁ ਨ ਜੋਹੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਨ ਸੰਤਾਪੇ ॥ कालु न जोहै दुखु न संतापे ॥ Kāl na johai ḏukẖ na sanṯāpe. Death does not see them, and pain does not afflict them.
ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ਬੰਧਨ ਸਭ ਤੋੜੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਹਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ हउमै मारि बंधन सभ तोड़ै गुरमुखि सबदि सुहावणिआ ॥१॥ Ha▫umai mār banḏẖan sabẖ ṯoṛai gurmukẖ sabaḏ suhāvaṇi▫ā. ||1|| Subduing egotism, they break all their bonds; as Gurmukh, they are adorned with the Word of the Shabad. ||1||
ਹਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਜੀਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸੁਹਾਵਣਿਆ ॥ हउ वारी जीउ वारी हरि हरि नामि सुहावणिआ ॥ Ha▫o vārī jī▫o vārī har har nām suhāvaṇi▫ā. I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who look beautiful in the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਾਵੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਚੈ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ गुरमुखि गावै गुरमुखि नाचै हरि सेती चितु लावणिआ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Gurmukẖ gāvai gurmukẖ nācẖai har seṯī cẖiṯ lāvaṇi▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o. The Gurmukhs sing, the Gurmukhs dance, and focus their consciousness on the Lord. ||1||Pause||

ੴ ਸਤਿਗ੝ਰ ਪ੝ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
Ik oankar satgur parsad.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
ਸਲੋਕ ਮਹਲਾ ੯ ॥
Salok mohala 9.
Salok, Ninth Mehl:
ਗ੝ਨ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗਾਇਓ ਨਹੀ ਜਨਮ੝ ਅਕਾਰਥ ਕੀਨ੝ ॥
Gun gobind gĝio nahī janam akĝrath kīn.
If you do not sing the Praises of the Lord, your life is rendered useless.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਜ੝ ਮਨਾ ਜਿਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਜਲ ਕਉ ਮੀਨ੝ ॥੧॥
Kaho Nĝnak har bhaj manĝ jih bidh jal kao mīn. ((1))
Says Nanak, meditate, vibrate upon the Lord; immerse your mind in Him, like the fish in the water. ((1))
ਬਿਖਿਅਨ ਸਿਉ ਕਾਹੇ ਰਚਿਓ ਨਿਮਖ ਨ ਹੋਹਿ ਉਦਾਸ੝ ॥
Bikhian sio kĝhe rachio nimakh na hohi udĝs.
Why are you engrossed in sin and corruption? You are not detached, even for a moment!
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਜ੝ ਹਰਿ ਮਨਾ ਪਰੈ ਨ ਜਮ ਕੀ ਫਾਸ ॥੨॥
Kaho Nĝnak bhaj har manĝ parai na jam kī fĝs. ((2))
Says Nanak, meditate, vibrate upon the Lord, and you shall not be caught in the noose of death. ((2))
ਤਰਨਾਪੋ ਇਉ ਹੀ ਗਇਓ ਲੀਓ ਜਰਾ ਤਨ੝ ਜੀਤਿ ॥
Ŧarnĝpo eo(n) hī gaio līo jarĝ tan jīt.
Your youth has passed away like this, and old age has overtaken your body.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਜ੝ ਹਰਿ ਮਨਾ ਅਉਧ ਜਾਤ੝ ਹੈ ਬੀਤਿ ॥੩॥
Kaho Nĝnak bhaj har manĝ aodh jĝt hai bīt. ((3))
Says Nanak, meditate, vibrate upon the Lord; your life is fleeting away! ((3))
ਬਿਰਧਿ ਭਇਓ ਸੂਝੈ ਨਹੀ ਕਾਲ੝ ਪਹੂਚਿਓ ਆਨਿ ॥
Birad bhaio sūjhai nahī kĝl pahūchio ĝn.
You have become old, and you do not understand that death is overtaking you.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਰ ਬਾਵਰੇ ਕਿਉ ਨ ਭਜੈ ਭਗਵਾਨ੝ ॥੪॥
Kaho Nĝnak nar bĝvre kio na bhajai bhagvĝn. ((4))
Says Nanak, you are insane! Why do you not remember and meditate on God? ((4))
ਧਨ੝ ਦਾਰਾ ਸੰਪਤਿ ਸਗਲ ਜਿਨਿ ਅਪ੝ਨੀ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨਿ ॥
Dhan dĝrĝ sampat sagal jin apunī kar mĝn.
Your wealth, spouse, and all the possessions which you claim as your own -
ਇਨ ਮੈ ਕਛ੝ ਸੰਗੀ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚੀ ਜਾਨਿ ॥੫॥
In mai kacho sangī nahī Nĝnak sĝchī jĝn. ((5))
none of these shall go along with you in the end. O Nanak, know this as true. ((5))
ਪਤਿਤ ਉਧਾਰਨ ਭੈ ਹਰਨ ਹਰਿ ਅਨਾਥ ਕੇ ਨਾਥ ॥
Patit udhĝran bhai haran har anĝth ke nĝth.
He is the Saving Grace of sinners, the Destroyer of fear, the Master of the masterless.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਹ ਜਾਨੀਝ ਸਦਾ ਬਸਤ੝ ਤ੝ਮ ਸਾਥਿ ॥੬॥
Kaho Nĝnak tih jĝnīai sadĝ basatu tum sĝth. ((6))
Says Nanak, realize and know Him, who is always with you. ((6))
ਤਨ੝ ਧਨ੝ ਜਿਹ ਤੋ ਕਉ ਦੀਓ ਤਾਂ ਸਿਉ ਨੇਹ੝ ਨ ਕੀਨ ॥
Ŧan ḝẖan jih ṯo ka▫o ḝī▫o ṯĝʼn si▫o nehu na kīn.
He has given you your body and wealth, but you are not in love with Him.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਰ ਬਾਵਰੇ ਅਬ ਕਿਉ ਡੋਲਤ ਦੀਨ ॥੭॥
Kaho Nĝnak nar bĝvre ab ki▫o dolaṯ ḝīn. ((7))
Says Nanak, you are insane! Why do you now shake and tremble so helplessly? ((7))
ਤਨ੝ ਧਨ੝ ਸੰਪੈ ਸ੝ਖ ਦੀਓ ਅਰ੝ ਜਿਹ ਨੀਕੇ ਧਾਮ ॥
Ŧan ḝẖan sampai sukẖ ḝī▫o ar jih nīke ḝẖĝm.
He has given you your body, wealth, property, peace and beautiful mansions.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨ੝ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਕਾਹਿ ਨ ਰਾਮ੝ ॥੮॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ simraṯ kĝhi na rĝm. ((8))
Says Nanak, listen, mind: why don't you remember the Lord in meditation? ((8))
ਸਭ ਸ੝ਖ ਦਾਤਾ ਰਾਮ੝ ਹੈ ਦੂਸਰ ਨਾਹਿਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
Sabẖ sukẖ ḝĝṯĝ rĝm hai ḝūsar nĝhin ko▫e.
The Lord is the Giver of all peace and comfort. There is no other at all.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਤਿਹ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥੯॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ ṯih simraṯ gaṯ ho▫e. ((9))
Says Nanak, listen, mind: meditating in remembrance on Him, salvation is attained. ((9))

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Top : Read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji page 1427
ਜਿਹ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਈਝ ਤਿਹ ਭਜ੝ ਰੇ ਤੈ ਮੀਤ ॥
Jih simraṯ gaṯ pĝ▫ī▫ai ṯih bẖaj re ṯai mīṯ.
Remembering Him in meditation, salvation is attained; vibrate and meditate on Him, O my friend.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨ੝ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਅਉਧ ਘਟਤ ਹੈ ਨੀਤ ॥੧੦॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ a▫oḝẖ gẖataṯ hai nīṯ. ((10))
Says Nanak, listen, mind: your life is passing away! ((10))
ਪਾਂਚ ਤਤ ਕੋ ਤਨ੝ ਰਚਿਓ ਜਾਨਹ੝ ਚਤ੝ਰ ਸ੝ਜਾਨ ॥
Pĝʼncẖ ṯaṯ ko ṯan racẖi▫o jĝnhu cẖaṯur sujĝn.
Your body is made up of the five elements; you are clever and wise - know this well.
ਜਿਹ ਤੇ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਲੀਨ ਤਾਹਿ ਮੈ ਮਾਨ੝ ॥੧੧॥
Jih ṯe upji▫o nĝnkĝ līn ṯĝhi mai mĝn. ((11))
Believe it - you shall merge once again into the One, O Nanak, from whom you originated. ((11))
ਘਟ ਘਟ ਮੈ ਹਰਿ ਜੂ ਬਸੈ ਸੰਤਨ ਕਹਿਓ ਪ੝ਕਾਰਿ ॥
Gẖat gẖat mai har jū basai sanṯan kahi▫o pukĝr.
The Dear Lord abides in each and every heart; the Saints proclaim this as true.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਹ ਭਜ੝ ਮਨਾ ਭਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਉਤਰਹਿ ਪਾਰਿ ॥੧੨॥
Kaho Nĝnak ṯih bẖaj manĝ bẖa▫o niḝẖ uṯrėh pĝr. ((12))
Says Nanak, meditate and vibrate upon Him, and you shall cross over the terrifying world-ocean. ((12))
ਸ੝ਖ੝ ਦ੝ਖ੝ ਜਿਹ ਪਰਸੈ ਨਹੀ ਲੋਭ੝ ਮੋਹ੝ ਅਭਿਮਾਨ੝ ॥
Sukẖ ḝukẖ jih parsai nahī lobẖ moh abẖimĝn.
One who is not touched by pleasure or pain, greed, emotional attachment and egotistical pride -
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨ੝ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਸੋ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੧੩॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ so mūraṯ bẖagvĝn. ((13))
says Nanak, listen, mind: he is the very image of God. ((13))
ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਿੰਦਿਆ ਨਾਹਿ ਜਿਹਿ ਕੰਚਨ ਲੋਹ ਸਮਾਨਿ ॥
Usṯaṯ ninḝi▫ĝ nĝhi jihi kancẖan loh samĝn.
One who is beyond praise and slander, who looks upon gold and iron alike -
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਮ੝ਕਤਿ ਤਾਹਿ ਤੈ ਜਾਨਿ ॥੧੪॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ mukaṯ ṯĝhi ṯai jĝn. ((14))
says Nanak, listen, mind: know that such a person is liberated. ((14))
ਹਰਖ੝ ਸੋਗ੝ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਨਹੀ ਬੈਰੀ ਮੀਤ ਸਮਾਨਿ ॥
Harakẖ sog jĝ kai nahī bairī mīṯ samĝn.
One who is not affected by pleasure or pain, who looks upon friend and enemy alike -
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਮ੝ਕਤਿ ਤਾਹਿ ਤੈ ਜਾਨਿ ॥੧੫॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ mukaṯ ṯĝhi ṯai jĝn. ((15))
says Nanak, listen, mind: know that such a person is liberated. ((15))
ਭੈ ਕਾਹੂ ਕਉ ਦੇਤ ਨਹਿ ਨਹਿ ਭੈ ਮਾਨਤ ਆਨ ॥
Bẖai kĝhū ka▫o ḝeṯ nėh nėh bẖai mĝnaṯ ĝn.
One who does not frighten anyone, and who is not afraid of anyone else -
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਤਾਹਿ ਬਖਾਨਿ ॥੧੬॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ gi▫ĝnī ṯĝhi bakẖĝn. ((16))
says Nanak, listen, mind: call him spiritually wise. ((16))
ਜਿਹਿ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਸਗਲੀ ਤਜੀ ਲੀਓ ਭੇਖ ਬੈਰਾਗ ॥
Jihi bikẖi▫ĝ saglī ṯajī lī▫o bẖekẖ bairĝg.
One who has forsaken all sin and corruption, who wears the robes of neutral detachment -
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨ੝ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਤਿਹ ਨਰ ਮਾਥੈ ਭਾਗ੝ ॥੧੭॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ ṯih nar mĝthai bẖĝg. ((17))
says Nanak, listen, mind: good destiny is written on his forehead. ((17))
ਜਿਹਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਮਤਾ ਤਜੀ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਭਇਓ ਉਦਾਸ੝ ॥
Jihi mĝ▫i▫ĝ mamṯĝ ṯajī sabẖ ṯe bẖa▫i▫o uḝĝs.
One who renounces Maya and possessiveness and is detached from everything -
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨ੝ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਤਿਹ ਘਟਿ ਬ੝ਰਹਮ ਨਿਵਾਸ੝ ॥੧੮॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ ṯih gẖat barahm nivĝs. ((18))
says Nanak, listen, mind: God abides in his heart. ((18))
ਜਿਹਿ ਪ੝ਰਾਨੀ ਹਉਮੈ ਤਜੀ ਕਰਤਾ ਰਾਮ੝ ਪਛਾਨਿ ॥
Jihi parĝnī ha▫umai ṯajī karṯĝ rĝm pacẖẖĝn.
That mortal, who forsakes egotism, and realizes the Creator Lord -
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਵਹ੝ ਮ੝ਕਤਿ ਨਰ੝ ਇਹ ਮਨ ਸਾਚੀ ਮਾਨ੝ ॥੧੯॥
Kaho Nĝnak vahu mukaṯ nar ih man sĝcẖī mĝn. ((19))
says Nanak, that person is liberated; O mind, know this as true. ((19))
ਭੈ ਨਾਸਨ ਦ੝ਰਮਤਿ ਹਰਨ ਕਲਿ ਮੈ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮ੝ ॥
Bẖai nĝsan ḝurmaṯ haran kal mai har ko nĝm.
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Name of the Lord is the Destroyer of fear, the Eradicator of evil-mindedness.
ਨਿਸਿ ਦਿਨ੝ ਜੋ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਜੈ ਸਫਲ ਹੋਹਿ ਤਿਹ ਕਾਮ ॥੨੦॥
Nis ḝin jo Nĝnak bẖajai safal hohi ṯih kĝm. ((20))
Night and day, O Nanak, whoever vibrates and meditates on the Lord's Name, sees all of his works brought to fruition. ((20))
ਜਿਹਬਾ ਗ੝ਨ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਭਜਹ੝ ਕਰਨ ਸ੝ਨਹ੝ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ੝ ॥
Jihbĝ gun gobinḝ bẖajahu karan sunhu har nĝm.
Vibrate with your tongue the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe; with your ears, hear the Lord's Name.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਪਰਹਿ ਨ ਜਮ ਕੈ ਧਾਮ ॥੨੧॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ parėh na jam kai ḝẖĝm. ((21))
Says Nanak, listen, man: you shall not have to go to the house of Death. ((21))
ਜੋ ਪ੝ਰਾਨੀ ਮਮਤਾ ਤਜੈ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ॥
Jo parĝnī mamṯĝ ṯajai lobẖ moh ahaʼnkĝr.
That mortal who renounces possessiveness, greed, emotional attachment and egotism -
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਆਪਨ ਤਰੈ ਅਉਰਨ ਲੇਤ ਉਧਾਰ ॥੨੨॥
Kaho Nĝnak ĝpan ṯarai a▫uran leṯ uḝẖĝr. ((22))
says Nanak, he himself is saved, and he saves many others as well. ((22))
ਜਿਉ ਸ੝ਪਨਾ ਅਰ੝ ਪੇਖਨਾ ਝਸੇ ਜਗ ਕਉ ਜਾਨਿ ॥
Ji▫o supnĝ ar pekẖnĝ aise jag ka▫o jĝn.
Like a dream and a show, so is this world, you must know.
ਇਨ ਮੈ ਕਛ੝ ਸਾਚੋ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨ੝ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੨੩॥
In mai kacẖẖ sĝcẖo nahī Nĝnak bin bẖagvĝn. ((23))
None of this is true, O Nanak, without God. ((23))
ਨਿਸਿ ਦਿਨ੝ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਪ੝ਰਾਨੀ ਡੋਲਤ ਨੀਤ ॥
Nis ḝin mĝ▫i▫ĝ kĝrne parĝnī dolaṯ nīṯ.
Night and day, for the sake of Maya, the mortal wanders constantly.
ਕੋਟਨ ਮੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੋਊ ਨਾਰਾਇਨ੝ ਜਿਹ ਚੀਤਿ ॥੨੪॥
Kotan mai Nĝnak ko▫ū nĝrĝ▫in jih cẖīṯ. ((24))
Among millions, O Nanak, there is scarcely anyone, who keeps the Lord in his consciousness. ((24))
ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਤੇ ਬ੝ਦਬ੝ਦਾ ਉਪਜੈ ਬਿਨਸੈ ਨੀਤ ॥
Jaise jal ṯe buḝbuḝĝ upjai binsai nīṯ.
As the bubbles in the water well up and disappear again,
ਜਗ ਰਚਨਾ ਤੈਸੇ ਰਚੀ ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨਿ ਮੀਤ ॥੨੫॥
Jag racẖnĝ ṯaise racẖī kaho Nĝnak sun mīṯ. ((25))
so is the universe created; says Nanak, listen, O my friend! ((25))
ਪ੝ਰਾਨੀ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਚੇਤਈ ਮਦਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ ਅੰਧ੝ ॥
Parĝnī kacẖẖū na cẖeṯ▫ī maḝ mĝ▫i▫ĝ kai anḝẖ.
The mortal does not remember the Lord, even for a moment; he is blinded by the wine of Maya.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨ੝ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਪਰਤ ਤਾਹਿ ਜਮ ਫੰਧ ॥੨੬॥
Kaho Nĝnak bin har bẖajan paraṯ ṯĝhi jam fanḝẖ. ((26))
Says Nanak, without meditating on the Lord, he is caught by the noose of Death. ((26))
ਜਉ ਸ੝ਖ ਕਉ ਚਾਹੈ ਸਦਾ ਸਰਨਿ ਰਾਮ ਕੀ ਲੇਹ ॥
Ja▫o sukẖ ka▫o cẖĝhai saḝĝ saran rĝm kī leh.
If you yearn for eternal peace, then seek the Sanctuary of the Lord.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਦ੝ਰਲਭ ਮਾਨ੝ਖ ਦੇਹ ॥੨੭॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ ḝurlabẖ mĝnukẖ ḝeh. ((27))
Says Nanak, listen, mind: this human body is difficult to obtain. ((27))
ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾਰਨਿ ਧਾਵਹੀ ਮੂਰਖ ਲੋਗ ਅਜਾਨ ॥
Mĝ▫i▫ĝ kĝran ḝẖĝvhī mūrakẖ log ajĝn.
For the sake of Maya, the fools and ignorant people run all around.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨ੝ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਨਮ੝ ਸਿਰਾਨ ॥੨੮॥
Kaho Nĝnak bin har bẖajan birthĝ janam sirĝn. ((28))
Says Nanak, without meditating on the Lord, life passes away uselessly. ((28))
ਜੋ ਪ੝ਰਾਨੀ ਨਿਸਿ ਦਿਨ੝ ਭਜੈ ਰੂਪ ਰਾਮ ਤਿਹ ਜਾਨ੝ ॥
Jo parĝnī nis ḝin bẖajai rūp rĝm ṯih jĝn.
That mortal who meditates and vibrates upon the Lord night and day - know him to be the embodiment of the Lord.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Top : Read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji page 1428
ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਤਰ੝ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚੀ ਮਾਨ੝ ॥੨੯॥
Har jan har anṯar nahī Nĝnak sĝcẖī mĝn. ((29))
There is no difference between the Lord and the humble servant of the Lord; O Nanak, know this as true. ((29))
ਮਨ੝ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੈ ਫਧਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਨਾਮ੝ ॥
Man mĝ▫i▫ĝ mai faḝẖ rahi▫o bisri▫o gobinḝ nĝm.
The mortal is entangled in Maya; he has forgotten the Name of the Lord of the Universe.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨ੝ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਜੀਵਨ ਕਉਨੇ ਕਾਮ ॥੩੦॥
Kaho Nĝnak bin har bẖajan jīvan ka▫une kĝm. ((30))
Says Nanak, without meditating on the Lord, what is the use of this human life? ((30))
ਪ੝ਰਾਨੀ ਰਾਮ੝ ਨ ਚੇਤਈ ਮਦਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ ਅੰਧ੝ ॥
Parĝnī rĝm na cẖeṯ▫ī maḝ mĝ▫i▫ĝ kai anḝẖ.
The mortal does not think of the Lord; he is blinded by the wine of Maya.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਨ੝ ਪਰਤ ਤਾਹਿ ਜਮ ਫੰਧ ॥੩੧॥
Kaho Nĝnak har bẖajan bin paraṯ ṯĝhi jam fanḝẖ. ((31))
Says Nanak, without meditating on the Lord, he is caught in the noose of Death. ((31))
ਸ੝ਖ ਮੈ ਬਹ੝ ਸੰਗੀ ਭਝ ਦ੝ਖ ਮੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
Sukẖ mai baho sangī bẖa▫e ḝukẖ mai sang na ko▫e.
In good times, there are many companions around, but in bad times, there is no one at all.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਜ੝ ਮਨਾ ਅੰਤਿ ਸਹਾਈ ਹੋਇ ॥੩੨॥
Kaho Nĝnak har bẖaj manĝ anṯ sahĝ▫ī ho▫e. ((32))
Says Nanak, vibrate, and meditate on the Lord; He shall be your only Help and Support in the end. ((32))
ਜਨਮ ਜਨਮ ਭਰਮਤ ਫਿਰਿਓ ਮਿਟਿਓ ਨ ਜਮ ਕੋ ਤ੝ਰਾਸ੝ ॥
Janam janam bẖarmaṯ firi▫o miti▫o na jam ko ṯarĝs.
Mortals wander lost and confused through countless lifetimes; their fear of death is never removed.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਜ੝ ਮਨਾ ਨਿਰਭੈ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਬਾਸ੝ ॥੩੩॥
Kaho Nĝnak har bẖaj manĝ nirbẖai pĝvahi bĝs. ((33))
Says Nanak, vibrate and meditate on the Lord, and you shall dwell in the Fearless Lord. ((33))
ਜਤਨ ਬਹ੝ਤ੝ ਮੈ ਕਰਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਮਿਟਿਓ ਨ ਮਨ ਕੋ ਮਾਨ੝ ॥
Jaṯan bahuṯ mai kar rahi▫o miti▫o na man ko mĝn.
I have tried so many things, but the pride of my mind has not been dispelled.
ਦ੝ਰਮਤਿ ਸਿਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਫਧਿਓ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹ੝ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੩੪॥
Ḏurmaṯ si▫o Nĝnak faḝẖi▫o rĝkẖ leho bẖagvĝn. ((34))
I am engrossed in evil-mindedness, Nanak. O God, please save me! ((34))
ਬਾਲ ਜ੝ਆਨੀ ਅਰ੝ ਬਿਰਧਿ ਫ੝ਨਿ ਤੀਨਿ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਜਾਨਿ ॥
Bĝl ju▫ĝnī ar biraḝẖ fun ṯīn avasthĝ jĝn.
Childhood, youth and old age - know these as the three stages of life.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਨ੝ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਸਭ ਹੀ ਮਾਨ੝ ॥੩੫॥
Kaho Nĝnak har bẖajan bin birthĝ sabẖ hī mĝn. ((35))
Says Nanak, without meditating on the Lord, everything is useless; you must appreciate this. ((35))
ਕਰਣੋ ਹ੝ਤੋ ਸ੝ ਨਾ ਕੀਓ ਪਰਿਓ ਲੋਭ ਕੈ ਫੰਧ ॥
Karṇo huṯo so nĝ kī▫o pari▫o lobẖ kai fanḝẖ.
You have not done what you should have done; you are entangled in the web of greed.
ਨਾਨਕ ਸਮਿਓ ਰਮਿ ਗਇਓ ਅਬ ਕਿਉ ਰੋਵਤ ਅੰਧ ॥੩੬॥
Nĝnak sami▫o ram ga▫i▫o ab ki▫o rovaṯ anḝẖ. ((36))
Nanak, your time is past and gone; why are you crying now, you blind fool? ((36))
ਮਨ੝ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੈ ਰਮਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਨਿਕਸਤ ਨਾਹਿਨ ਮੀਤ ॥
Man mĝ▫i▫ĝ mai ram rahi▫o niksaṯ nĝhin mīṯ.
The mind is absorbed in Maya - it cannot escape it, my friend.
ਨਾਨਕ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਚਿਤ੝ਰ ਜਿਉ ਛਾਡਿਤ ਨਾਹਿਨ ਭੀਤਿ ॥੩੭॥
Nĝnak mūraṯ cẖiṯar ji▫o cẖẖĝdiṯ nĝhin bẖīṯ. ((37))
Nanak, it is like a picture painted on the wall - it cannot leave it. ((37))
ਨਰ ਚਾਹਤ ਕਛ੝ ਅਉਰ ਅਉਰੈ ਕੀ ਅਉਰੈ ਭਈ ॥
Nar cẖĝhaṯ kacẖẖ a▫or a▫urai kī a▫urai bẖa▫ī.
The man wishes for something, but something different happens.
ਚਿਤਵਤ ਰਹਿਓ ਠਗਉਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਫਾਸੀ ਗਲਿ ਪਰੀ ॥੩੮॥
Cẖiṯvaṯ rahi▫o ṯẖaga▫ur Nĝnak fĝsī gal parī. ((38))
He plots to deceive others, O Nanak, but he places the noose around his own neck instead. ((38))
ਜਤਨ ਬਹ੝ਤ ਸ੝ਖ ਕੇ ਕੀਝ ਦ੝ਖ ਕੋ ਕੀਓ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
Jaṯan bahuṯ sukẖ ke kī▫e ḝukẖ ko kī▫o na ko▫e.
People make all sorts of efforts to find peace and pleasure, but no one tries to earn pain.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ੝ਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਹੋਇ ॥੩੯॥
Kaho Nĝnak sun re manĝ har bẖĝvai so ho▫e. ((39))
Says Nanak, listen, mind: whatever pleases God comes to pass. ((39))
ਜਗਤ੝ ਭਿਖਾਰੀ ਫਿਰਤ੝ ਹੈ ਸਭ ਕੋ ਦਾਤਾ ਰਾਮ੝ ॥
Jagaṯ bẖikẖĝrī firaṯ hai sabẖ ko ḝĝṯĝ rĝm.
The world wanders around begging, but the Lord is the Giver of all.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨ ਸਿਮਰ੝ ਤਿਹ ਪੂਰਨ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਕਾਮ ॥੪੦॥
Kaho Nĝnak man simar ṯih pūran hovėh kĝm. ((40))
Says Nanak, meditate in remembrance on Him, and all your works will be successful. ((40))
ਝੂਠੈ ਮਾਨ੝ ਕਹਾ ਕਰੈ ਜਗ੝ ਸ੝ਪਨੇ ਜਿਉ ਜਾਨ੝ ॥
Jẖūṯẖai mĝn kahĝ karai jag supne ji▫o jĝn.
Why do you take such false pride in yourself? You must know that the world is just a dream.
ਇਨ ਮੈ ਕਛ੝ ਤੇਰੋ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਹਿਓ ਬਖਾਨਿ ॥੪੧॥
In mai kacẖẖ ṯero nahī Nĝnak kahi▫o bakẖĝn. ((41))
None of this is yours; Nanak proclaims this truth. ((41))
ਗਰਬ੝ ਕਰਤ੝ ਹੈ ਦੇਹ ਕੋ ਬਿਨਸੈ ਛਿਨ ਮੈ ਮੀਤ ॥
Garab karaṯ hai ḝeh ko binsai cẖẖin mai mīṯ.
You are so proud of your body; it shall perish in an instant, my friend.
ਜਿਹਿ ਪ੝ਰਾਨੀ ਹਰਿ ਜਸ੝ ਕਹਿਓ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਹਿ ਜਗ੝ ਜੀਤਿ ॥੪੨॥
Jihi parĝnī har jas kahi▫o Nĝnak ṯihi jag jīṯ. ((42))
That mortal who chants the Praises of the Lord, O Nanak, conquers the world. ((42))
ਜਿਹ ਘਟਿ ਸਿਮਰਨ੝ ਰਾਮ ਕੋ ਸੋ ਨਰ੝ ਮ੝ਕਤਾ ਜਾਨ੝ ॥
Jih gẖat simran rĝm ko so nar mukṯĝ jĝn.
That person, who meditates in remembrance on the Lord in his heart, is liberated - know this well.
ਤਿਹਿ ਨਰ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਤਰ੝ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚੀ ਮਾਨ੝ ॥੪੩॥
Ŧihi nar har anṯar nahī Nĝnak sĝcẖī mĝn. ((43))
There is no difference between that person and the Lord: O Nanak, accept this as the Truth. ((43))
ਝਕ ਭਗਤਿ ਭਗਵਾਨ ਜਿਹ ਪ੝ਰਾਨੀ ਕੈ ਨਾਹਿ ਮਨਿ ॥
Ėk bẖagaṯ bẖagvĝn jih parĝnī kai nĝhi man.
That person, who does not feel devotion to God in his mind -
ਜੈਸੇ ਸੂਕਰ ਸ੝ਆਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਾਨੋ ਤਾਹਿ ਤਨ੝ ॥੪੪॥
Jaise sūkar su▫ĝn Nĝnak mĝno ṯĝhi ṯan. ((44))
O Nanak, know that his body is like that of a pig, or a dog. ((44))
ਸ੝ਆਮੀ ਕੋ ਗ੝ਰਿਹ੝ ਜਿਉ ਸਦਾ ਸ੝ਆਨ ਤਜਤ ਨਹੀ ਨਿਤ ॥
Su▫ĝmī ko garihu ji▫o saḝĝ su▫ĝn ṯajaṯ nahī niṯ.
A dog never abandons the home of his master.
ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਉ ਇਕ ਮਨਿ ਹ੝ਇ ਇਕ ਚਿਤਿ ॥੪੫॥
Nĝnak ih biḝẖ har bẖaja▫o ik man hu▫e ik cẖiṯ. ((45))
O Nanak, in just the same way, vibrate, and meditate on the Lord, single-mindedly, with one-pointed consciousness. ((45))
ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਅਰ੝ ਦਾਨ ਕਰਿ ਮਨ ਮੈ ਧਰੈ ਗ੝ਮਾਨ੝ ॥
Ŧirath baraṯ ar ḝĝn kar man mai ḝẖarai gumĝn.
Those who make pilgrimages to sacred shrines, observe ritualistic fasts and make donations to charity while still taking pride in their minds -
ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਹਫਲ ਜਾਤ ਤਿਹ ਜਿਉ ਕ੝ੰਚਰ ਇਸਨਾਨ੝ ॥੪੬॥
Nĝnak nihfal jĝṯ ṯih ji▫o kuncẖar isnĝn. ((46))
O Nanak, their actions are useless, like the elephant, who takes a bath, and then rolls in the dust. ((46))
ਸਿਰ੝ ਕੰਪਿਓ ਪਗ ਡਗਮਗੇ ਨੈਨ ਜੋਤਿ ਤੇ ਹੀਨ ॥
Sir kampi▫o pag dagmage nain joṯ ṯe hīn.
The head shakes, the feet stagger, and the eyes become dull and weak.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਭਈ ਤਊ ਨ ਹਰਿ ਰਸਿ ਲੀਨ ॥੪੭॥
Kaho Nĝnak ih biḝẖ bẖa▫ī ṯa▫ū na har ras līn. ((47))
Says Nanak, this is your condition. And even now, you have not savored the sublime essence of the Lord. ((47))

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Top : Read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji page 1429
ਨਿਜ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖਿਓ ਜਗਤ੝ ਮੈ ਕੋ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੋ ਨਾਹਿ ॥
Nij kar ḝekẖi▫o jagaṯ mai ko kĝhū ko nĝhi.
I had looked upon the world as my own, but no one belongs to anyone else.
ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰ੝ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੈ ਤਿਹ ਰਾਖੋ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥੪੮॥
Nĝnak thir har bẖagaṯ hai ṯih rĝkẖo man mĝhi. ((48))
O Nanak, only devotional worship of the Lord is permanent; enshrine this in your mind. ((48))
ਜਗ ਰਚਨਾ ਸਭ ਝੂਠ ਹੈ ਜਾਨਿ ਲੇਹ੝ ਰੇ ਮੀਤ ॥
Jag racẖnĝ sabẖ jẖūṯẖ hai jĝn leho re mīṯ.
The world and its affairs are totally false; know this well, my friend.
ਕਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰ੝ ਨਾ ਰਹੈ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਲੂ ਕੀ ਭੀਤਿ ॥੪੯॥
Kahi Nĝnak thir nĝ rahai ji▫o bĝlū kī bẖīṯ. ((49))
Says Nanak, it is like a wall of sand; it shall not endure. ((49))
ਰਾਮ੝ ਗਇਓ ਰਾਵਨ੝ ਗਇਓ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਬਹ੝ ਪਰਵਾਰ੝ ॥
Rĝm ga▫i▫o rĝvan ga▫i▫o jĝ ka▫o baho parvĝr.
Raam Chand passed away, as did Raawan, even though he had lots of relatives.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰ੝ ਕਛ੝ ਨਹੀ ਸ੝ਪਨੇ ਜਿਉ ਸੰਸਾਰ੝ ॥੫੦॥
Kaho Nĝnak thir kacẖẖ nahī supne ji▫o sansĝr. ((50))
Says Nanak, nothing lasts forever; the world is like a dream. ((50))
ਚਿੰਤਾ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਕੀਜੀਝ ਜੋ ਅਨਹੋਨੀ ਹੋਇ ॥
Cẖinṯĝ ṯĝ kī kījī▫ai jo anhonī ho▫e.
People become anxious, when something unexpected happens.
ਇਹ੝ ਮਾਰਗ੝ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਕੋ ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰ੝ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥੫੧॥
Ih mĝrag sansĝr ko Nĝnak thir nahī ko▫e. ((51))
This is the way of the world, O Nanak; nothing is stable or permanent. ((51))
ਜੋ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਸੋ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਹੈ ਪਰੋ ਆਜ੝ ਕੈ ਕਾਲਿ ॥
Jo upji▫o so binas hai paro ĝj kai kĝl.
Whatever has been created shall be destroyed; everyone shall perish, today or tomorrow.
ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਗ੝ਨ ਗਾਇ ਲੇ ਛਾਡਿ ਸਗਲ ਜੰਜਾਲ ॥੫੨॥
Nĝnak har gun gĝ▫e le cẖẖĝd sagal janjĝl. ((52))
O Nanak, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, and give up all other entanglements. ((52))
ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥
Ḏohrĝ.
Dohraa:
ਬਲ੝ ਛ੝ਟਕਿਓ ਬੰਧਨ ਪਰੇ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਹੋਤ ਉਪਾਇ ॥
Bal cẖẖutki▫o banḝẖan pare kacẖẖū na hoṯ upĝ▫e.
My strength is exhausted, and I am in bondage; I cannot do anything at all.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਅਬ ਓਟ ਹਰਿ ਗਜ ਜਿਉ ਹੋਹ੝ ਸਹਾਇ ॥੫੩॥
Kaho Nĝnak ab ot har gaj ji▫o hohu sahĝ▫e. ((53))
Says Nanak, now, the Lord is my Support; He will help me, as He did the elephant. ((53))
ਬਲ੝ ਹੋਆ ਬੰਧਨ ਛ੝ਟੇ ਸਭ੝ ਕਿਛ੝ ਹੋਤ ਉਪਾਇ ॥
Bal ho▫ĝ banḝẖan cẖẖute sabẖ kicẖẖ hoṯ upĝ▫e.
My strength has been restored, and my bonds have been broken; now, I can do everything.
ਨਾਨਕ ਸਭ੝ ਕਿਛ੝ ਤ੝ਮਰੈ ਹਾਥ ਮੈ ਤ੝ਮ ਹੀ ਹੋਤ ਸਹਾਇ ॥੫੪॥
Nĝnak sabẖ kicẖẖ ṯumrai hĝth mai ṯum hī hoṯ sahĝ▫e. ((54))
Nanak: everything is in Your hands, Lord; You are my Helper and Support. ((54))
ਸੰਗ ਸਖਾ ਸਭਿ ਤਜਿ ਗਝ ਕੋਊ ਨ ਨਿਬਹਿਓ ਸਾਥਿ ॥
Sang sakẖĝ sabẖ ṯaj ga▫e ko▫ū na nib▫hi▫o sĝth.
My associates and companions have all deserted me; no one remains with me.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਬਿਪਤਿ ਮੈ ਟੇਕ ਝਕ ਰਘ੝ਨਾਥ ॥੫੫॥
Kaho Nĝnak ih bipaṯ mai tek ek ragẖunĝth. ((55))
Says Nanak, in this tragedy, the Lord alone is my Support. ((55))
ਨਾਮ੝ ਰਹਿਓ ਸਾਧੂ ਰਹਿਓ ਰਹਿਓ ਗ੝ਰ੝ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ੝ ॥
Nĝm rahi▫o sĝḝẖū rahi▫o rahi▫o gur gobinḝ.
The Naam remains; the Holy Saints remain; the Guru, the Lord of the Universe, remains.
ਕਹ੝ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਜਗਤ ਮੈ ਕਿਨ ਜਪਿਓ ਗ੝ਰ ਮੰਤ੝ ॥੫੬॥
Kaho Nĝnak ih jagaṯ mai kin japi▫o gur manṯ. ((56))
Says Nanak, how rare are those who chant the Guru's Mantra in this world. ((56))
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ੝ ਉਰ ਮੈ ਗਹਿਓ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਸਮ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥
Rĝm nĝm ur mai gahi▫o jĝ kai sam nahī ko▫e.
I have enshrined the Lord's Name within my heart; there is nothing equal to it.
ਜਿਹ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਸੰਕਟ ਮਿਟੈ ਦਰਸ੝ ਤ੝ਹਾਰੋ ਹੋਇ ॥੫੭॥੧॥
Jih simraṯ sankat mitai ḝaras ṯuhĝro ho▫e. ((57)(1))
Meditating in remembrance on it, my troubles are taken away; I have received the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan. ((57)(1))

Posted many shabads through out Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, seperated by an empty line break.

Btw you can use search function to find word reincarnation however there are also lines in there which don't contain the word reincarnation but are related to it.

for e.g. "Says Nanak, listen, mind: this human body is difficult to obtain."

If you need more shabads I'll post them tomorrow.

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Thank you, Harry Haller ji.

Tejwant ji, this time I didn't post the whole shabad cause I did that before and you didn't like it.
However if you want to see, that its really from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Harry Haller ji posted whole Shabad.

----------------------------------------

Enduring pleasure and pain, drowned in the great ocean of doubt, you shall wander in numerous reincarnations.
You have lost the jewel of human birth by forgetting God; when will you have such an opportunity again? ||3|| You turn on the wheel of reincarnation, like an ox at the oil-press; the night of your life passes away without salvation.

By His Command, we come, and by His Command, we go; no one is beyond His Command.
Coming and going in reincarnation is ended, O Nanak, for those whose minds are filled with the Lord. ||1||

This soul has lived in many wombs.
Enticed by sweet attachment, it has been trapped in reincarnation.

In shalok mahalla 9, the 9th guru wrote "Says Nanak, listen, mind: this human body is difficult to obtain."

Slandering others, you are totally ruined; because of your past actions, you shall be consigned to the womb of reincarnation. our past actions will not just go away; the most horrible Messenger of Death shall seize you.

The blind have forgotten the Naam, the Name of the Lord. The self-willed manmukhs are in utter darkness.
Their comings and goings in reincarnation do not end; through death and rebirth, they are wasting away.

Those who receive His Mercy obtain the True One. The Gurmukhs dwell forever in balanced restraint. ||3||
By true actions, the True Lord is met, and the Guru's Teachings are found.
Then, they are not subject to birth and death; they do not come and go in reincarnation.

O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.
Those who do not become Gurmukh do not understand the Naam; they die, and continue coming and going in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||
That body is said to be pure, in which the True Name abides.

The body is the field of karma in this age; whatever you plant, you shall harvest.

I do think that they are talking here about Reincarnation, in sense of you do get born again until one mingles with lord. I don't believe there is a man in heavens with a large beard and staff who is waiting for us to get punished. I believe that Karma and reincarnation(messenger of the death) are the natural laws and not entities.

Also before someone says god is already in me, thats true god is in each and everything, but one has to question himself is his mind also in god, like god is in that person.

I grouped the quotes of one shabad by give multiple lines same colors.

If you need some more quotes from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, feel free to ask.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Quoted from the other thread (since I kind of forgot which thread it was at the time lol):

Ut oh... the R word again....

So Sikhi doesn't believe in Heaven or in Hell (as in the Christian sense)
And it doesn't believe in Reaincarnation (as in the Hinduism sense)
But, Sikhi also doesn't believe that this life is 'IT' as in,.. you die and you're dust and that's it and everything you were - your 'being' is gone, erased... kaput and you become worm food.

So what's left?

My take on reincarnation is a bit different... not in the sense that something separate migrates from one physical body to another like a ghost playing hop scotch... but if you understand that everything is really one thing... one base energy field... one base conscious energy field... that is ever manifesting reality through vibration... then its easier to grasp. The concept of death itself is moot point because there really is only one reality. Ik Onkar. We are what's not real.... really... in the end - the physical us I mean. The 'DOER' the 'I AM' inside you is what's real.
The physical bodies are just characters being played (all of us) by the very same actor who also happens to be the director of this huge play we call reality. To merge back with the Creator, in my belief, is to simply awaken to the fact that collectively we all ARE the one.

There are several places in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji where it tells us that once you realize your OWN true self (or that HE IS ME) what more is there to know.

In the mean time... ONE base energy field.... which I believe is pure consciousness. I don't believe every consciousness is something separate. I believe consciousness is the ONE constant in the Universe. The Universe must have been created - implying creative intent. The Creator must be aware of its own creation.

So I imagine the Universe to be one pool of base conscious energy which is formless, and yet through contemplation everything arises through vibration (celestial vibration). Einstein even said that everything we know to exist all matter in the Universe is merely energy vibrating at different frequencies. Consciousness itself as taking up no space and yet all space... difficult concept to grasp, but not impossible. (try imagining how much physical space your dreamworld at night takes up in our physical reality, and you will see what I am getting at)

So, compared to an ocean, why can't the same drop of water become a raindrop more than once?

I look at reincarnation as spiritual progression of the one universal consciousness... each separate individual that we perceive are really bit of the whole even though we don't realize we are connected.

Merging back with the creator, in my belief is awakening to the fact that we all possess the divine... in essence, collectively, we all are the creator.

Makes sense to me since the creator is both nirgun / sargun meaning both creator and creation... kind of the same as you dream at night and you are the dream and the characters and also the creator of the dream and yet within the dream itself, you have no form - and you are all forms (you, the dreamer are simply thought, brainwaves to the characters in the dream since you exist outside of it)

Maya deceives with its illusions... you have forgotten that you are really the 'little dreamer' inside another big dream...so who really is the dreamer?? If you fell asleep and started to dream and could never wake up, would you realize you were dreaming? (not to bring the movie Matrix into it on purpose but the point is valid) We have gotten so caught up in the experiences of the characters that we have forgotten that we really are the actor and that this is just a play. And yes we have played and will play more characters until we decide to end our acting careers.

(see SGGS p 736 for the analogy of reality as a play and the creator as the director and all of the characters, but once the play is over, and the costumes are removed, there is only one - and then it asks where have they gone to? Where did they come from? In other words there only ever was the one to begin with... only the audience would never know)

I believe spiritual progression through all these different forms is just the natural unfolding of the Universe... so my concept is totally different than say reincarnation in a Hinduism sense.

Hope it made sense??

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਬਾਜੀਗਰਿ ਜੈਸੇ ਬਾਜੀ ਪਾਈ ॥
Bājīgar jaise bājī pā▫ī.
The director stages the play,

ਨਾਨਾ ਰੂਪ ਭੇਖ ਦਿਖਲਾਈ ॥
Nānā rūp bẖekẖ ḏikẖlā▫ī.
playing the many characters in different costumes;

ਸਾਂਗੁ ਉਤਾਰਿ ਥੰਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਓ ਪਾਸਾਰਾ ॥
Sāʼng uṯār thamiĥa▫o pāsārā.
but when the play ends, he takes off the costumes,

ਤਬ ਏਕੋ ਏਕੰਕਾਰਾ ॥੧॥
Ŧab eko ekankārā. ||1||
and then he is one, and only one. ||1||

ਕਵਨ ਰੂਪ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿਓ ਬਿਨਸਾਇਓ ॥
Kavan rūp ḏaristi▫o binsā▫i▫o.
How many forms and images appeared and disappeared?

ਕਤਹਿ ਗਇਓ ਉਹੁ ਕਤ ਤੇ ਆਇਓ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Kaṯėh ga▫i▫o uho kaṯ ṯe ā▫i▫o. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Where have they gone? Where did they come from? ||1||Pause||

So if the creator really is the director of this play we call life, and ALL the characters (us) how does this affect our thought on reincarnation in the traditional sense that somehow implies each individual 'soul' is something separate on its own journey? If the truth is really oneness - than how does this also affect our thought on death?

Remember that the 'I AM' within you... the 'DOER' .... the 'EXPERIENCER' is who you really are - YOU are the actor - and you need to take the costumes off eventually... eventually all plays end. It doesn't mean that you will end.... The character's part may be done, but the actor lives on to perform again.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Findingmyway ji,

Guru fateh.

I love your inquisitiveness,your deep desire to open as many windows for the forum members as your understanding of Gurmat will allow. The more you are able to open them within yourself, luckier we, as members of this wonderful forum will feel about Sikhi and appreciate the true meaning of Sadh Sangat.

Thanks for your candor and well thought comments which are direct to the point.

Ik Ong Kaar is not a lab experiment. Ik Ong Kaar IS..

Thanks once again and regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Ji, the point I think is, that any analogy any of us can possibly use to try and explain things (even if we do glimpse reality and have understanding) and even the analogies used in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji are all based on experiences and things that we as humans know or have experienced. Otherwise, nobody would understand at all. There would be no way to explain it.... but as Sikhs are we not supposed to try???

I don't think his analogy of a computer was meant to make the Creator look imperfect, but just as a way to explain the concept of how we are all seemingly separate (algorhythms), but also really there is only one thing (the program) and that as a whole its formless... and the only thing that is real / base truth is the programmer (creator). And that the programmer and the program are really the same thing. The nirgun / sargun concept... creator = creation, formless and yet ALL form...without attributes and yet ALL attributes. He was just trying to put it into a concept for others to try and grasp.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has used dreams as metaphors to explain the same thing where the creator is the dreamer and we are all dream characters, it has also used plays as metaphors to express the same concept (see my post above) etc That God is both creator and creation, transcendent and imminent, without attributes and yet posseses all attributes. Unmanifest as the ONE and yet manifest as ALL.

But no matter what metaphor is used, it's only trying to express the concept that the creator is the base truth, there is only the ONE, we are just aspects of the creator (dream characters, play characters, algorhythms etc insert whatever analogy you want to use). And none of them will be perfect as an analogy because we are using aspects of the creation itself to try and explain something that exists outside of the creation... its impossible.

You actually have to experience it because no words can accurately describe it.

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Tejwant Ji, the point I think is, that any analogy any of us can possibly use to try and explain things (even if we do glimpse reality and have understanding) and even the analogies used in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji are all based on experiences and things that we as humans know or have experienced. Otherwise, nobody would understand at all. There would be no way to explain it.... but as Sikhs are we not supposed to try???

I don't think his analogy of a computer was meant to make the Creator look imperfect, but just as a way to explain the concept of how we are all seemingly separate (algorhythms), but also really there is only one thing (the program) and that as a whole its formless... and the only thing that is real / base truth is the programmer (creator). And that the programmer and the program are really the same thing. The nirgun / sargun concept... creator = creation, formless and yet ALL form...without attributes and yet ALL attributes. He was just trying to put it into a concept for others to try and grasp.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has used dreams as metaphors to explain the same thing where the creator is the dreamer and we are all dream characters, it has also used plays as metaphors to express the same concept (see my post above) etc

But no matter what metaphor is used, it's only trying to express the concept that the creator is the base truth, there is only the ONE, we are just aspects of the creator (dream characters, play characters, algorhythms etc insert whatever analogy you want to use). And none of them will be perfect as an analogy because we are using aspects of the creation itself to try and explain something that exists outside of the creation... its impossible.

You actually have to experience it because no words can accurately describe it. My feeble mind locked in this physical life, can try its best to share what I know inside... but ultimately, everyone has to experience truth for themselves.

Akasha ji, this is real wonderful post you posted here, I wish I could write as clear as you.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
So if the creator really is the director of this play we call life, and ALL the characters (us) how does this affect our thought on reincarnation in the traditional sense that somehow implies each individual 'soul' is something separate on its own journey? If the truth is really oneness - than how does this also affect our thought on death?

Remember that the 'I AM' within you... the 'DOER' .... the 'EXPERIENCER' is who you really are - YOU are the actor - and you need to take the costumes off eventually... eventually all plays end. It doesn't mean that you will end.... The character's part may be done, but the actor lives on to perform again.

very well said ji,

there are also many shabads that portray a soul after physical death still in an individualized sense...

contemplating the shabad that you posted, where it says "when the play ends" i brings up many questions..

is that referring to the play ending when i experience physical death?

is it referring to the complete play and every single one of the characters... i.e. the end of creation itself..

is it referring to an individual, who upon taking the inner journey, merges with Waheguru within him/herself...?

some interesting things to contemplate on...

in my humble opinion, i feel that even after physical death, we still have a sense of Ego, a sense of being individual...and we can still be affected by desires, ego, anger etc...

I also believe (as highlighted in Gurbani) that we can experience the following whilst still here in the physical self...i.e. the taking off of the costumes and experiencing the 'one' state (excuse my explanations...the mind cannot even fathom such a thing)...

ਸਾਂਗੁ ਉਤਾਰਿ ਥੰਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਓ ਪਾਸਾਰਾ ॥
Sāʼng uṯār thamiĥa▫o pāsārā.
but when the play ends, he takes off the costumes,

ਤਬ ਏਕੋ ਏਕੰਕਾਰਾ ॥੧॥
Ŧab eko ekankārā. ||1||
and then he is one, and only one. ||1||

Thank you for posting such amazing shabads :)

Jul 18, 2007
London
You actually have to experience it because no words can accurately describe it.

This reminds me of the 12th pauri of Jap ji:

ਮੰਨੇ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਕਹੀ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥ Manne kī gaṯ kahī na jā▫e. The state of the faithful cannot be described.
ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਪਛੁਤਾਇ ॥ Je ko kahai picẖẖai pacẖẖuṯā▫e. One who tries to describe this shall regret the attempt.
ਕਾਗਦਿ ਕਲਮ ਨ ਲਿਖਣਹਾਰੁ ॥ Kāgaḏ kalam na likẖaṇhār. No paper, no pen, no scribe
ਮੰਨੇ ਕਾ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ Manne kā bahi karan vīcẖār. can record the state of the faithful.
ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥ Aisā nām niranjan ho▫e. Such is the Name of the Immaculate Lord.
ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੨॥ Je ko man jāṇai man ko▫e. ||12|| Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. ||12||

It's definitely to be experienced :icecreammunda:

Thanks for your post Akasha ji, you definitely explained something complex in an understandable way!

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

ਮੰਨੇ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਕਹੀ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥ Manne kī gaṯ kahī na jā▫e. The state of the faithful cannot be described.
ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਪਛੁਤਾਇ ॥ Je ko kahai picẖẖai pacẖẖuṯā▫e. One who tries to describe this shall regret the attempt.
ਮੰਨੇ ਕਾ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ Manne kā bahi karan vīcẖār. can record the state of the faithful.
ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥ Aisā nām niranjan ho▫e. Such is the Name of the Immaculate Lord.
ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੨॥ Je ko man jāṇai man ko▫e. ||12|| Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. ||12||

Thanks for your post Akasha ji, you definitely explained something complex in an understandable way!

the problem is people want to be told everything, rather than dive in and experience the ocean for themselves...

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
is that referring to the play ending when i experience physical death?

is it referring to the complete play and every single one of the characters... i.e. the end of creation itself..

I believe it's referring to both. I believe that because we are an inward expression of the divine, we also posses that same creative potential when we dream, when we contemplate etc. (All creation first starts as a thoughtform prior to becoming reality).

So the shabad I believe refers to the Creator staging the play that is our reality, and its also referring to our creations as inward expressions of ourselves.

Ultimately though, no matter how many levels inward we could go... there is really only ONE that is staging the entire thing. Like when you hold two mirrors facing each other... you see an infinite number of reflections of yourself inward in the mirror. But there really is only ONE you.

Again a mirror is a limited way to try and express it. Because a mirror implies every reflection is the exact same when we know thats not the case in reality, although each reflection does posses the same basic attribute of 'I AM'. ...Again, I was just trying to illustrate the inward reflection idea using a reference we already have. Sometimes its frustrating to try and even get the ideas in my head out... because the references I can use are so limited in comparison to the idea I am trying to explain...

Okay I need a break as my head's about to explode haha

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

SaintSoldier1699,

Guru Fateh.

This 12th Pauri in the Jap is just showing us how to get into the Gurmat rocket to take a ride to the Gurmat Galaxy. The next 3 pauris talk about the Sikh who has already gotten ready to enjoy the Gurmat journey to the Sikhi galaxy.

Hence the vast span between ਮੰਨੇ and ਮੰਨੈ , the two step dance of the personal experiences.

How a subtle difference between the two sounds of ੇ and ੈ can create a huge leap in the personal experiences between the two!

Our visionary Gurus knew how to cajole us into learning the wonders of life by showing us step by step manual which is much easier than assembling Ikea's one legged stool.

Tejwant Singh

dpcpress

DrDLN
SPNer
Jul 23, 2004
I saw this old thread with no update of our thinking in light of 21 st century. May be we need a new thread. But here I share some of the ideas about what happens after death or past lives or reincarnation.

What happens after death or afterlife or reincarnation or past life has become one of the most asked questions and highly misunderstood! Logically, metaphorically reinterpreted, the terms reincarnation and transmigration really mean that after death everyone and every species that exhibits life become part of the greater biological life cycle. That is the logical way to look at afterlife, birth and rebirth, reincarnation or transmigration. Enjoy this life. “Conscious and SOUL is part of God within us [as long as we are alive].” http://amzn.to/gwaTWs Available now at your favorite digital store!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM