• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Reflections On Gurmantar

Oct 21, 2009
India
Moved from another thread at http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sukhmani-sahib/37672-sukhmani-sahib-astpadi-1-sabad-1-a.html by spnadmin

TARANJEET SINGH Ji,
You have given very valuable information but I find that the construcion and arrangementof Baanee is not as per Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
I think you are refering to the construction and arrangement from some GUTAKAA.

There is only ONE TUK of RAHA-Au.

There is reference of Beej Mantra and that GuR Mantra.How can the Word WAHiGURU can be SYMBOLIC for GuR Mantra.This is nowhere so in Gurbani.

I look forward to your views to improve my own understanding with regard to GuR Mantra as WAHiGuRU.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Waheguru Gurmantar Hai - Giani Sant Singh Ji Maskeen 01/02 - YouTube
Sant Maskeen ji….on Vaheguru Mantar hey

Waheguru Gurmantar Hai - Giani Sant Singh Ji Maskeen 02/02 - YouTube
Sant Maskeen ji…On waheguru and significance of reciting Vaheguru…-

OTHER LINKS

LINK-1
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/15034-vaheguru-is-gurmantar.html
VaheGurumantar hey jap Hao mein khoi…

Relevant Extracts
"The Gurmantar is "Vaheguru", through reciting which erases egotism. Losing egotism and merging into the qualities of the supreme Lord, he himself becomes full of qualities."
(Vaar 13, Bhai Gurdaas Ji, Contemporary of Guru Arjan Dev Ji
)
Knowing the meaning of the Mantar is very helpful when one is concentrating on it. Then the person will know when they reach the goal, which the Mantar is supposed to produce within them. The word 'Vaheguru' (Wondrous Lord) implies that the Mantar is essentially meant for praising the One Creator Supreme Being through chanting, Keertan, or Naam Simran with each and every swaas (life breaths) as taught by the Guru-roop Panj Piaare.

LINK-1 CONTD
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/15034-vaheguru-is-gurmantar.html
A thread of sikhphilosophy.net as above..

"Vaheguru is the nearest of the near. Remember Him, meditate on Him, and sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe, day and night, evening and morning. ||1||Pause||" (Devgandhaaree, Ang 530, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji)
Where does this one Word of Shabad come from? Although it is mentioned throughout Guru Granth Sahib Ji in various names as discussed above, the full form of this Mantar, 'Vaheguru', was revealed by the enlightened Bhattas (Bards) in their Bani. It was also mentioned in the writings of Bhai Gurdaas Ji, the contemporary and maternal uncle of Guru Arjan Dev Ji, who also was the scriber of the 'Pothi Sahib'.

LINK-2
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/5485-vaheguru-gurmantar-hai.html
Wahe Guru Mantar Hey…..A thread on sikh philosophy.net

LINK-3
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/15722-vaheguru-ek-gurumantar.html
An article by Roop k

LINK-4
http://www.saavn.com/popup/psong-ZD2FI1xI.html

I have Just 'Googled out'... 'waheGuru Mantar Hey....... and it helped. You may kindly do it yourself as well for further research.
My own knowledge is very limited.

I am in 'studying and understanding' phase.

I shall post the rest on your profile page so that the thread may also move on in proper mode.

Thanks and Regards!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 28, 2010
Re: ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧ ਸਬਦ ੧ / Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 1 Sabad ੧

TARANJEET SINGH Ji,
You have not given any evidence from Gurbani to Know that the word WAHiGuRU is GuR Mantra.
If you find any pl quote that .
What others say ,should we accept that as such ?
I think we should get for the answer from SGGS.only.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010

TARANJEET SINGH Ji,
I dont find any reference in Raagu DEvgandharee pp530 SGGS as suggested by your goodself.
Can you ple letme know for my own understanding that the actual word in Gurbani is WAHiGuRoo (matra of sihari with letter H and Matra of Dulakad with letter R)
Why do we write the word as WAHEGURU.
PRAKASH.S.Bagga

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010

Sat Sri Akaal,

The objective of "Wa He Gu Ru" recitation
to make one remember

that life has combination of "air as matter" and "light as energy impulse",

union of matter and energy

slight disintegration of air and impulse can be cause of death

Oh Human
Don't Play Clever Tricks and stay with Maya

Don't create situation for yourself in which mind becomes so active, that it doesn't
leave impulse to heart and one lose breath.

One shall not forget about this union,
even for a second even in his life.
One shall always remember this union, as cause of life.

And shall recite always and repeatedly so that it comes to spine level
in extreme situations, it is must.

One small experience though vicarious

A person who practiced recitation, had head injury, and went in coma,
but as a result of previous repetitive action till spine level on "Naam Simran"
his finger tips were moving as reciting and was recovered from coma within weeks.

May be Doctor's reading this can have better explanation or rejection of this fact.

These are self realisation through reflection from "GURU's BANI",

Thought can be interacted/accepted/comented or rejected.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ki Ki Fateh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Taranjeet ji,

Guru Fateh.

Unfortunately, I am not able to read your Punjabi fonts. Could you please use http://www.srigranth.org which are legible in this forum?

After that, I would like to make some comments regarding your post on which you have worked very hard and is much appreciated.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Raveneet Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Although your HAIKU style of expressing yourself is quite impressive but for a lay man like me it becomes difficult to grasp the message of the Guru and what you are really trying to convey. I would love to learn from you as any other Sikh because you have great meaningful Gurmat thoughts which involve tan, mann, dhan; the latter does not mean money as many think. It means internal wealth/treasure.

Could you please put your thoughts in a simple prose form so I can learn from them?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Oct 21, 2009
India

TARANJEET SINGH Ji,
You have not given any evidence from Gurbani to Know that the word WAHiGuRU is GuR Mantra.
If you find any pl quote that .
What others say ,should we accept that as such ?
I think we should get for the answer from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.only.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Thanks for your post and views on interpretation of Gurbani.
We have two sources of interpretation. I would sum up by saying Intrinsic aids and extrinsic aids. Intrinsic aids are the aids that are provided in the words of scripture it self. We take the meaning of the words from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and work on them with them. Nothing else is required.

The second , that may or may not be or may be equally important, is extrinsic aids to interpretation i.e something that is external to the document that is being interpreted by us.

Some may not need the extrinsic aids. However, most of us do need extrinsic aids as well.

In the context of interpretation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, one may like to include Sikh Rehat, Vaaran by Gurdas ji and Teeka of Dr. Sahib singh ji . There are hosts of other sources like advice of elders like yourself , Sh Tejwant ji and those who can express things in elaborate manner without interfering with the objectivity of the interpretation. I do include the views of sangat that I meet at Gurudwara sahib as well. It is not to impose on any one to follow these views as these are subjective.

The idea is to decipher the message that Guru sahibs had intended to be conveyed. Some of the choices are permissible while other may not be acceptable. Here lies the subjectivity and is role.

In any case, in reference to 'Gurumantra'; Vaaran of Bhai Gurdas ji is the source. Kindly refer Vaar13 in general and Paudi-2 in specific and it shall be of immense use and help.

With Regards!

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Re: Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 1 Sabad 1 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧ ਸਬਦ ੧

Sat Sri Akaal,

Tejwant Singh Ji,

These are self experience not read/recited but realized as reflections from "GURU's BANI"

It is very difficult to explain and express.
As the exact happenings can't be seen as scientific research, but are to realization levels and in "GURU's BANI" its available as document.

but yes I can relate with some physical developments

There is something like in mobile, there is some signal, which connects, and sound
is produced, each mobile has unique identification.

like wise there is some life source from nature, which connects with our cells,
each of us have unique identification.

this unique energy from the source comes with a time span, it nourishes mind,
heart, liver, throat main organs.

in extreme difficult situations, mind takes the entire energy, ignoring other life organs.
all energy source is taken by mind.

even heart is left without energy, and that divine union tends to separate.

It takes away strength of speech.

Word is so important for life,

"Wa He Gu Ru" origin of "alpha" and "beta" alphabet has relevance which keeps connection of energy source and breath.

I am ignorant person, i don't know,
just sharing this natural phenomenon,
trying to make self aware through learned,
and with Sat Sangat who seeks truth, awareness increases.
if someone can share his experience.

Sat Sangat who seeks truth of nature is rare,
for rest it is as (passion) total madness, and to some extent it is.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

ravneet_sb Word is so important for life said:
ravneet_sb ji "Waheguru" is "revered esteemed teacher" in Gurbani. What you take it to be when chanting, writing or repeating such in mind.

Sat Sri Akal.

Aug 28, 2010

TARANJEET SINGH Ji,
I appreciate most of your views .Since Gurbani is perfect by itself as Baanee is of Complete GuR,. And for understanding important reference like GuR Mantra should it be known from external aids I beg to differ.
We can try to look at what Gurbaani is telling about GuR Mantra.Either we should accept that Gurbaani is not clear about GuR Mantra so we have to make use of external aids to know What should be GuR Mantra..
I strongly believe the word WAHiGuRoo is very very....important word.But how we can consider this word as NAAM that is a question.?
Prakash.S.Bagga

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM