• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Quran - To All Sikh Students

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
I reccommend the Quran to all Sikh students.

Before you assume that I have converted faiths or have a hidden agenda to destroy sikhi, I would just like to explain my side.

I have no need to convert, as I am not the firmest believer in organized religion, hence why I am a Sikh. There is no "conversion ritual" to enter the faith and the community of its followers.

I treat "holy" books as intelligence, not divine order or necessarily divine truth. That's why I can read the Bible and Koran and just intake the amount of intelligence they hold without becoming a follower of the actual religion. I can read the SGGS and contemplate it rather than just assume its truth.

Even though I am not Khalsa yet, I will only become and be part of the Khalsa Panth.

So, here me out and why I put this strong reccomendation to all Sikh students. And by students, I do not mean Sikh Youth, I mean people who have practiced/read/and actively follow the Sikh religion and Sikh politics.

Islam is the active submission to God. It's a psychological cleansing to eradicate your mind and submit your dues to God.

There is wisdom in those books but it is useless to most. The word of God is useless to one that can only read it and not live it. Islam to me is a powerful religion that is based on a mental strength and submission to God. In that submission it clears the psychological path to the other side of your self. For if there is a hope in you, the dream to do good, to succeed and to prosper, and then it is only logical to assume there is another side. If life struggles to prolong itself and to maintain its existence, then something within you must work towards self annihilation. For all the good in you there must be a part of you that lives in the complacency of failure and works toward negativity. Islam addresses that struggle, it gives people inner strength that have nothing. Being one with God makes those parts of you clearer to see.

As a Sikh growing up, when you see history/Gurus/1984 you are filled with the need to make a change, to progress, and to do good for all. You see the Guru's lifestyle and you want to accomplish what they did, you want to lead, you want tos ucceed and prosper, and help out every human whose suffereing. Then, you face current society, you face your own community whose become so corrupted. This is exactly what I mean by the wars of the mind. One side seeks good, while the other starts to seek self-annlihation. Me, and many sikhs that I've spoken to, have at times become so fed up and sad with the state of the Sikhs, or the future of the Sikhs that they feel they should jus give up. Everyone sees the Sikh identity going away, even as uncles begin to tell you that you dont need kesh anymore, and you see your children may give it away too. So what's the point, if eventually someone will cut it. This is what I mean by self-annlihation. I do not mean suicide, but eradicating your own self, your own culture, and "giving in".

I've only read and understood part of the Quran, but even the little I have, it does help, and I recommend it to all children of the same league as me.

At times, I feel as reading the SGGS it does not factor in the struggle of the mind that I face at times, hence where the Quran can come in as a factor.

gurbilas

SPNer
Jun 25, 2005
UK
Our main problem is understanding the Holy Guru Granth Sahib. At least that is what I face when I read the holy book as there is nobody to tell us and reach out to us. We on our part probabaly do not make enough effort. I read parts of translated holy Quran a long time ago and then started reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and I feel the love which enamates out of the verses of the Gurus and Bhagats is enormous. True the passion it generates is only for humanity and not as a 'religion' and this may be the reason that staying in 'Sikh' form in modern world has become challanging to many of us.
I found a teacher in my grandfather who would patiently explain each verse after reading a lot about it and I was a small kid then. This is how I got passionately involved with Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. But I am unable to do it for my son who has started to understand words just now and because of the changing trends and routines we are more or less a unitary family with my parents not able to spend a lot of time with my son. So he will have to work very hard to understand all this probably.
All Holy books have a lot to give but I feel Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a practical approach to life in order to become an ideal society.

gurbilas

SPNer
Jun 25, 2005
UK
And to re-emphasise that Sri Guru Granth Sahib has nothing to do with Sikhism specifically. It is meant for the entire humanity.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Sikh

I have many things to agree and disagree with you r post

When our guru ji came to this world many faiths were being practiced already there which included hindu , muslim , bhuddism and Jainism
All these religions had there own text t guide them and all these text were written in way tio relate to the respective followers
There is no doubt in this statement of you r that every religious s text has something for guidance and betterment of human life and this thing is confirmed by Our guru Granth Sahib Itself
Now people were trying to follow their religions as they understood it but more they tired to follow ot more were the difficulties that faced society of the time they were fighting among themselves on the agenda of different religious beliefs and at such time Sri Guru Granth Sahib was compiled and this doesnot mean that those people had wrong guidance from their respective religious books but because they could not understand the real point so the same AKAL Purakh which brought Vedas and Koran to earth brought Guru Granth Sahib ji to earth and this time by most scruitnised way possible as it was written in direct supervision of elightened souls , and it serves as kungi ( keys) to peoples spiritual riddles no matter what religion they are from
And this not just philosophical what I am saying I have practical example , one of my friend who came to sikhi after being born in hindu family and who was devout hindu told me that now after getting understanding from GuruGranth Sahib he can understand many riddles and things from hindu Vedas that were not clear to him ( my this friend is even member of this spn forum )

So the thing is that life is very precious and we cant just play hit and trial with it and waste our time and offcourse there could be no harm in reading other religious text but before that you should try to understand Gurbani and which ultimately will act as a key for you understand other religious text and I can say from personal experience that I have been reading many other things before I started reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib and it used to be very interesting for a while but soon I used to become more and more confused ( I used to read lot of material from Taoism ,and many other writer related to theosophical Soc. Etc .) and they appeared to me as to be very intelligent text and answering my immediate questions some time , But now when I read back all these writing they appear so clear and they just augment my understanding with help of Guru Granth Sahib

So what I would advise to young generation as contrary to you that you should read any spiritual text that appeal to you but before this you should have kaswati ( touch stone ) of complete ( Puran Guru) Gurur Granth Sahib so that you may not get confused in life and waste precious years of life in vain as many people like me might have done

Jatinder Singh

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

What S|kh ji says makes sense to me.

English is my mother toungue, yet I did not have it mastered by the age of 7. Yet, I started learning some Spanish phrases from my bi-lingual friends. As I started formally studying Spanish in middle-school, I learned that my Spanish helped improve my English, by broadening my vocabulary and forcing me to think about different ways of structuring a sentence.

I've heard from computer science professionals that one can improve their programming skills in one language by learning to code in another language.

It makes sense to me that one can understand more about one's own religion by studying scriptures of another faith. I recently saw a calander of quotes from Zen Buddhism that I found very inspiring...even though I am just a student of Gurbani.

Just my thoughts...

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Amerikaur said:

English is my mother tongue, yet I did not have it mastered by the age of 7. Yet, I started learning some Spanish phrases from my bi-lingual friends. As I started formally studying Spanish in middle-school, I learned that my Spanish helped improve my English, by broadening my vocabulary and forcing me to think about different ways of structuring a sentence.

I've heard from computer science professionals that one can improve their programming skills in one language by learning to code in another language.

It makes sense to me that one can understand more about one's own religion by studying scriptures of another faith. I recently saw a calender of quotes from Zen Buddhism that I found very inspiring...even though I am just a student of Gurbani.

Just my thoughts...

Kaur ji

Totally agree with what You said

This is well known technique You are telling till is also known as pegging Technique and has been successfully used to increase the memorizing power of intellect and is widely used

While spirituality as i understand is totally different thing it is more of unlearning then learning but any way i agree to what you said may be i am wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Amerikaur said:

English is my mother toungue, yet I did not have it mastered by the age of 7. Yet, I started learning some Spanish phrases from my bi-lingual friends. As I started formally studying Spanish in middle-school, I learned that my Spanish helped improve my English, by broadening my vocabulary and forcing me to think about different ways of structuring a sentence.

It makes sense to me that one can understand more about one's own religion by studying scriptures of another faith. I recently saw a calander of quotes from Zen Buddhism that I found very inspiring...even though I am just a student of Gurbani.

Just my thoughts...

I agree with everything your saying and that is the point I wanted to get across. But, you know how it is...when your thinking and your thoughts get jumbled up when you try to write them down.

Beautifully explained Amerikaur ji =)

Sep 11, 2005
"Religion is Nothing but a Huge Multinational Corporation with one and only one Product "Philosophy having FAITH as its Nucleus" , with one and only one marketing weapon "Psychology".
:idea:

If We are True Sikhs then we should dress ourselves from inside with the powerful thoughts and Guru weechars of our Gurus. If we can do so then we won't critisize any religion , caste , creed etc.

I also recommend that Sikhs should read not only Islam but each and every religious text . We are the Sikhs , meaning Disciples and a disciple of a God should not restrict himself/herself to , or be narrow minded .

From the Whole Guru Granth Sahib , One of the Most thing which is very precious is that "Remaining Pure amid Impurities is the sign of a true character" .

If we have surrended to God and have Faith in It , Then no one is going to convert anyone . Moreover , it cannot be assumed that if a person doesn't goes to gurudwara or any religious place is not religious.

I have seen many Sikhs who read Guru Granth sahib like Parrots , but Still they don't have FAITH in it . STill they have scarcity and narrow Mindset .

In most of the discussion Forums What I have observed is that instead of promoting the guru bani , what they do is , All the members in the forum try to compete with each other , try to show that how much they know about . How great he or she is and nothing else . They stretch each and every sentece even the simple one like a chewing gum and nothing else.

I have observed that 99 % of the Sikhs don't have faith in GOD , They read Guru Granth Sahib as a daily chore and nothing else.Most even don't read from Within heart but to show that how religious they are .

gurbilas said:
Our main problem is understanding the Holy Guru Granth Sahib. At least that is what I face when I read the holy book as there is nobody to tell us and reach out to us. We on our part probabaly do not make enough effort. I read parts of translated holy Quran a long time ago and then started reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and I feel the love which enamates out of the verses of the Gurus and Bhagats is enormous. True the passion it generates is only for humanity and not as a 'religion' and this may be the reason that staying in 'Sikh' form in modern world has become challanging to many of us.
I found a teacher in my grandfather who would patiently explain each verse after reading a lot about it and I was a small kid then. This is how I got passionately involved with Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. But I am unable to do it for my son who has started to understand words just now and because of the changing trends and routines we are more or less a unitary family with my parents not able to spend a lot of time with my son. So he will have to work very hard to understand all this probably.
All Holy books have a lot to give but I feel Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a practical approach to life in order to become an ideal society.

Sep 4, 2005
Punjab, India
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ke fateh

I agree, one should read and try to understand other religious books. And surly one comes across many useful things. I feel every Sikh should have knowledge about other religions. A Sikh who tries to understand Guru Granth Sahib Jee and has read about other faiths finds himself truly blessed. If you forget about the adulterations that have cropped into us and if you stick to the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib Jee, you'll feel that God has been too kind on you for giving you birth as a Sikh.

What I feel (if you permit me to say, I may be wrong) there cannot be many 'Religions'. Truth cannot be in multiple. It has to be One. Yes there may be many 'Faiths', many ‘Paths’.

Only Guru Granth Sahib Jee makes you realize that One Religion.

humanist

SPNer
Oct 24, 2004
Delhi (India)
Every Holy book is a veritable treasure. For example:-

1)The repeated recitation of a single word of the Holy Quran, can lead to sidhi.
The varied pronunciation of a single word, like 'Bismillah', has different effects.
The use of a single 'ayat' from the Quran can asnswer our prayers.

2) The mere listening to the recitation of 'hymns' from the Vedas is soothing to the ears.

3) The group-chanting ('jap')--with full concentration, of the 'mool mantra' from the 'Japuji sahib' can lift the human spirit.
Humanist

hardeep

SPNer
Dec 16, 2004
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
The notion that all sikhs should read quran for spiritual guidance, is very sad and totally inaccurate. The quran & Hadiths teaches no religious freedom for mankind and is full of hatred. Islam means Submission, submission is forceful, it is not peaceful. peace under islam only exists if you submit to Allah, all others will have no peace. Instead of reading the backward and illogical verses within the quran, it would be more benificial for sikhs to invest the time reading and understanding Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, the eternal flows with love and divine guidance.
The quran & hadiths chain man to fear and liberation is not possible see below examples from quran & hadith:-
Please visit: www.faithfreedom.org
Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 445:
Narrated Abu Dhar:
The Prophet said, "Gabriel said to me, 'Whoever amongst your followers die without having worshipped others besides Allah, will enter Paradise (or will not enter the (Hell) Fire)." The Prophet asked. "Even if he has committed illegal sexual intercourse or theft?" He replied, "Even then."

Last edited:

bhoolchook

SPNer
Mar 13, 2005
India
Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh, There is nothing odd in reading and understanding the religion books of Islam, Budhism, Christianity or Hunduism. Truth lies in the fact how true we are in our practical life to our professed faiths. Normally in our lives we identify a man belonging to a sect by his name, his parentage and what he himself states when asked to about the faith to which belongs. The outward appearance or dresscode or outward routines of rituals is not the essence. We must be true followers and that is what Guru Nanak has specifically cautioned that no one is good unless he is true to his faith.We must first of all prepare ourselves to understand the difference between good or bad, have our minds developed logically to rationalise the various allurements and then appeal to go through the teachings contained in other religion books. The problem is that the percentage of people with capacity to understand logically the various faiths is very less. Majority follows by asking others the inns and outs or blindly copying others.The "SIKH" who has tried to prevail upon others to read Quran before first understanding what is SIKHI and what is imbibed inour reverred Guru Granth Sahib Ji must first analyse the level of understanding of our majority of masses.

Sep 11, 2005
:idea: Stop Spreading hatred towards other religion , why not appreciate that there is one and only one Religion and that is "Humanity Towards Each and every object whether living or non living".

:idea: Whether you are a Hindu , Sikh , Muslim or Christrian ,
We all take the same food from same Plant and trees,
Whether you are a Hindu , Sikh , Muslim or Christrian ,
The feeling of Thirst is not going to change,
Whether you are a Hindu , Sikh , Muslim or Christrian
The feeling of Hunger is not going to change,
The reproduction of human beings is not going to change,
The feeling of Love is not going to change,
The feeling of humanity is not going to change,
The feeling and desire of sex is not going to change,
Nothing is going to change , to whatever religion you belong.

We should all Expand our thinking horizons , and should not be myopic.The Teaching and Preaching of our Gurus does not Promote Hatred but Love .

hardeep said:
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
The notion that all sikhs should read quran for spiritual guidance, is very sad and totally inaccurate. The quran & Hadiths teaches no religious freedom for mankind and is full of hatred. Islam means Submission, submission is forceful, it is not peaceful. peace under islam only exists if you submit to Allah, all others will have no peace. Instead of reading the backward and illogical verses within the quran, it would be more benificial for sikhs to invest the time reading and understanding Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, the eternal flows with love and divine guidance.
The quran & hadiths chain man to fear and liberation is not possible see below examples from quran & hadith:-
Please visit: www.faithfreedom.org
Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 445:
Narrated Abu Dhar:
The Prophet said, "Gabriel said to me, 'Whoever amongst your followers die without having worshipped others besides Allah, will enter Paradise (or will not enter the (Hell) Fire)." The Prophet asked. "Even if he has committed illegal sexual intercourse or theft?" He replied, "Even then."

rooh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2005
london
If you read The Guru Granth Sahib- and more importantly imbibe and practice its essence, then there are no more questions, and no more need to explore and research into other paths.

Our minds are already overloaded - endless distractions, endless projections, endless analysis, - where has it all got us in terms of spirituality??

Sep 4, 2005
Punjab, India
Guru Granth Sahib Jee is for freedom of humanity.

Freedom from bondages of dogmas and rituals.

It stimulates us to free ourselves from clutches of Greed for sex, stimulates us to develop a personality of Love towards others by controlling Anger inside us, it wants us to enjoy this life but develop detachment from worldly desires by not forgetting the ultimate Truth of this life. It wants us to clean our soul from the false pride of our achievements.

In the eyes of God there is No Muslim No Sikh No Christian No Hindu. All are his children.
He kowns no language, but the language of Love.
He is not pleased or displeased by your deeds.
He does not get any benefit out of your deeds.
He doesn’t get angry if you do not remember Him.
Others may not know what you do, but He knows it.
He is ever forgiving without asking anything in return. He keeps giving.
God is least interested in the name of the religion you believe in. He is least interested in the language you speek.

He has no special place created for the sinners and no special place for pious persons. No hell no heaven.

Guru says He would likes only one thing and that is Love for everything in this world i.e. everything created by Him.
Guru says remain in His Hukam. Try to understand His Hukam. He would make you understand if you try. Take a step, you’ll find Him close to you, inside you.

What I feel is that Guru Granth Sahib Jee is for freedom of humanity. Sikhs are blessed to have the opportunity to realize this truth. We have been released from all the dogmas and bondages that the humanity had been subjected to.

Where others trend to instill FEAR of God, Guru Granth Sahib Jee creates in you LOVE for God.

A Sikh needs no guidance from Quran.

rkaur

SPNer
Sep 13, 2005
WHY NOT SGGS JI FOR ALL MUSLIM YOUTHS! :advocate:

I was so shocked and surprised at the same time when I read this post, that how one can compare our SGGS with any other holy book. Not to mention as we all should remember this, that it was our guru's sons who were burried alive in the walls, it was our banda bahadur, whose son was put on ground alive, and his heart was taken out and forced into banda bahadur ji's mouth. I have seen this cruelity in many religions and Quran is something that I for one will never read.
Also I believe person who wrote this and believes so much into Quran is a vCS (Very Confused Sikh) I can't say he is not a sikh but he needs to read between the lines, and I wonder if he ever even read SGGS ji. And if he did than he should remember also being a sikh that it says very clearly that:
Pae gahe jab te Tumre tab te kou ankh tare nahi anyo.
Ram Rahim Puran Kuran anek kahain mat ek na manyo.

Since (I had honor of ) holding your (lotus) feet, none else merits to come under my glimpse. Ram, Rahim, Puranas and Kuran (referring Hindus, Muslims, and their respective scriptures), deliver multi-fold sermons, but I am votary of none of them.

Simrt’ Sastr bed sabhai bahu bhed kahain ham ek na janyo.

Sinmritties, Sasters and Vedas –all of them- try to indoctrinate me, introducing me to many of their (so called) Divine secrets, but I have no faith on them. O, Lord God- The weilder of Sword- all that I have said is due to Thy Mercy; Infact I have said nothing, it is your dictate!

WKWKF. god bless us all!

rkaur

SPNer
Sep 13, 2005
Well said, but it's not for everyone. Reading is one thing and understanding is another. And people who reasearch into other paths are the ones who were, are and will never have satisfaction and piece of mind we get from waheguru.

Sep 11, 2005
Are U Satisfied ? Are people Satisfied in Punjab ?

Why people in Punjab and everywhere don't have Faith in SGGS ?

Why People Are eargerly listening to Asa Ram Bapu in Punjab ?

Why People Are eagerly listening to Radha Soami ?

Why ?

Will you accept the people who are satisfied as they are , as they seem to be ?

No , you won't accept the satisfied ?

It is easy to blah blah in the discussion forum , Move out of the house and look inside the people .

SGGS is one of the Best , Granths , and Even the CEO of CISCO and many american companies have read it and they appreciate the value of it .

But , instead of understanding the SGGS we promote , parroting without knowing the meaning of .

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM