• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

FAQs Question Regarding Other Religions As Friends

charanjyot

SPNer
Sep 12, 2011
Although we as Sikhs are supposed to respect all religions. However in todays world many Sikhs have a friends that are Muslim, Hindu etc. I do myself. But do we keep history in mind while having these people as friends. For example Muslims killed and betrayed many Sikhs, which is why we're told not to trust them, but in todays world do we still not trust them, or forget everything and trust them as people, and not based on faith.

Thanks

Aug 28, 2010
CHARANJYOT ji,
Sikh philosophy is very unique in making relations with people of other faiths.
We should bear in mind Sikh philosophy is never against any faith.
You will surprise to note that three initial fights of GuRu Gobind Singh ji were with Hindu Kings of Hills and they later on invited the intervention of Aurangjeb aginst Sikhs in Punjab.
At those times there were Muslims who helped Sikhs a lot during fightings and even at times Some Hindus remained always against Sikhs in Punjab.And Sikhs are still facing many forces against them but now in a different way.
Therefore we have to make our own assessment in maintaining the relations.In modern times we should learn to make balanced approach in making the trust ........
Prakash.S.Bagga

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
I do myself

You have friends of different faiths and that is right of you to do so. It doesnt mean you should accept the doctrines of other faiths. I note you are a Canadian and surely must have Christian friends also ? Perhaps French Canadians as well.

I utterly hate Nazism with a vengence... My wife was a beautiful German and am proud my son is also German. I abhor Islamacist theology but have muslim friends. I support Isreal but cant stand bigoted Zionists. I am angry of the rape and desertion of Sikhs and India by the British but am a proud English patriot. I am baptised but love sikhi.

You will find friendship with many people and embrace it. What I have learned in Sikhism is that if you know yourself, then you will see the good in people. You will know a friend and that friendship will last whether Sikh,Muslim,Jew etc....

You are 18 kid. You have a long way to go compared to some of us oldies.

Dont worry and as long as YOU ARE NOT FORCED in any way to forsake your beliefs then all will be fine. You have a lot to learn.. so Mr 18 learn from your friends...You can choose them ;-)... the beauty is that YOU can choose them and they you.... NOT DOGMA ;-)kaurhug

Aug 28, 2010
SSA ji,

wht is the meaning of this quote?

"prem patal teh seeh ditaa dakhan koo pat meri"

"O" My LORD Husband Thou has given me a beautiful Cloth of Silk in the form of LIVING IN LOVE with NAAMu to maintain my honour or reputation
everywhere.

Here the word PATOLA is Metaphor for SIFAT SALLAHA( Words of praise ) of the LORD.
Prakash.S.Bagga.

kgbang

SPNer
Dec 6, 2011
Thank you so much Prakash sir ji.
I was searching for this meaning since mrng.
One more botheration sir.
On which occasion this quotation is used?

Regards,
kgbang

Aug 28, 2010
Thank you so much Prakash sir ji.
I was searching for this meaning since mrng.
One more botheration sir.
On which occasion this quotation is used?

Regards,
kgbang

As such according to Gurbani there is no special occasion for this Quotation. .But we as normal human beings we like to listen to this on any occassion of happiness like marriage or New Birth and like that.
The quotation very stronly conveys a deep sense of ones relationship with the LORD.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Although we as Sikhs are supposed to respect all religions. However in todays world many Sikhs have a friends that are Muslim, Hindu etc. I do myself. But do we keep history in mind while having these people as friends. For example Muslims killed and betrayed many Sikhs, which is why we're told not to trust them, but in todays world do we still not trust them, or forget everything and trust them as people, and not based on faith.

Thanks

Charanjyot Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

First and foremost it is a must to have self trust and Sikhi gives us the tools to train ourselves to cultivate trust in us. Trust has nothing to do with the religions of other people or other people themselves.

Where does the trust go when one divorces one's wife of the same or from another religion?

Where does the trust go when your boss fires you two days after telling you that you were his best employee?

So, cultivating self- trust in Sikhi means, to be able to get up,dust off and carry on against all odds of life whether the things happened because of someone, one's health or one's love and respect for one's MIL.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks

I would not dislike someone because of a particular faith, however some of the Abrahamic religions do have a strange outlook on others of different faiths, for instance, Christians are supposed to believe that the only way to salvation is through Christ, by default, all other religions can be viewed as satanic, Islam believes that non muslims are infidels, so if a Christian or a Muslim were to come into my shop, I would have no problem being as friendly and as inquisitive as I am normally, however I would bear in mind that although I may feel they were equal, and had an equal faith, they may not see me in the same light, and I think one should be aware of that.

It is then a simple question of do you trust someone who has no trust in you..........

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
Lionsingh, thank you for your reply. With grace, I am very attached to Sikhi, so I think no matter what happens it would be very hard for someone to force me to change my religion. You're right, I do have a long way to, meet so many people, Muslim, Hindu etc.

Thank you for listening...but if you feel inside a Sikh, think of all those other kids who have been brought up with a negative stereotype of Sikhism. I am sure you are a good kid...so be yourself first and perhaps they will also see a friend first who happens to be a Sikh ? lol Thats what friends are... you will stick to your principles as they will. Perhaps you will all learn. Some religions do BAN friends from non-believers but Sikhism doesnt...they are perhaps being stronger in their friendship than you realise....and rebelling against their parents and community......see that as a compliment if they choose to laugh with you kid. They choose you over dogma. :mundabhangra:

I wish I were young again ;-))). Be yourself. That is a strength Sikhism can give you kid.

God and Gurus bless you

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
I would not dislike someone because of a particular faith, however some of the Abrahamic religions do have a strange outlook on others of different faiths, for instance, Christians are supposed to believe that the only way to salvation is through Christ, by default, all other religions can be viewed as satanic, Islam believes that non muslims are infidels, so if a Christian or a Muslim were to come into my shop, I would have no problem being as friendly and as inquisitive as I am normally, however I would bear in mind that although I may feel they were equal, and had an equal faith, they may not see me in the same light, and I think one should be aware of that.

It is then a simple question of do you trust someone who has no trust in you..........

WE can debate this on another thread !!!

Christianity does not regard other faiths as satanic..!!! whereas I will accept Islam does.

As to friendship, if it is based on only religious grounds then that is a clear falsehood as this kid asked if it was okay to have non-sikh friends. I clearly believe so.....You have turned this argument on its head by saying you might feel they were equal...then suggest they would not. It is not helpful here !!!!

:grinningkaur:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
WE can debate this on another thread !!!

Christianity does not regard other faiths as satanic..!!! whereas I will accept Islam does.

As to friendship, if it is based on only religious grounds then that is a clear falsehood as this kid asked if it was okay to have non-sikh friends. I clearly believe so.....You have turned this argument on its head by saying you might feel they were equal...then suggest they would not. It is not helpful here !!!!

:grinningkaur:
Lionji,

I stand corrected, although my experience is mostly with the born again types, it appears other religions are viewed somewhere between misguided and satanic, depending on denomination.

many thanks

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
Lionji,

I stand corrected, although my experience is mostly with the born again types, it appears other religions are viewed somewhere between misguided and satanic, depending on denomination.

many thanks

Tell the so called christians to watch http://www.1channel.ch/watch-1247-The-Passion-of-the-Christ
maybe they should remember !!!

From a Christian perspective...There is nothing in the bible that actually condemns other religions apart from the fact that Jesus basically told the Jewish tribes that the old testament of God with all its rules and revenge and killing were wrong, as he was the "Immanuel" the "Christ" , that he was given by God to correct all the wrongs...He basically ****** everyone off, the Romans and the Religious leaders... He refuted all the dogma...and some 70-130 years after his cruxifiction four gospels were written of his life....He was a rebel.....he spent his life preaching against the synagogues and Romans....He lived with the worst society claimed and Mary Magdalene was the prostitute who was with him till the end.

The words he spoke were " Think not I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets (Judiasim) I have come to fulfill " St Matthew 7

So maybe the Romans liked this mad rabbi because he preached against rebellion ? and promoted his works ?

WHATEVER... Jesus was the living human God to christians.

He didnt take the sword...he willingly died so that all evil we may do....he took on himself....Even the idiots you have met condemning other people. Attack the theology not the people. Simples. ;-)

I can see humanity in many religions...but some are to me barbaric. If Jesus Ji or Guru Nanak Ji had the courage to question....then we all should.

Let us question .

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tell the so called christians to watch http://www.1channel.ch/watch-1247-The-Passion-of-the-Christ
maybe they should remember !!!

From a Christian perspective...There is nothing in the bible that actually condemns other religions apart from the fact that Jesus basically told the Jewish tribes that the old testament of God with all its rules and revenge and killing were wrong, as he was the "Immanuel" the "Christ" , that he was given by God to correct all the wrongs...He basically ****** everyone off, the Romans and the Religious leaders... He refuted all the dogma...and some 70-130 years after his cruxifiction four gospels were written of his life....He was a rebel.....he spent his life preaching against the synagogues and Romans....He lived with the worst society claimed and Mary Magdalene was the prostitute who was with him till the end.

The words he spoke were " Think not I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets (Judiasim) I have come to fulfill " St Matthew 7

So maybe the Romans liked this mad rabbi because he preached against rebellion ? and promoted his works ?

WHATEVER... Jesus was the living human God to christians.

He didnt take the sword...he willingly died so that all evil we may do....he took on himself....Even the idiots you have met condemning other people. Attack the theology not the people. Simples. ;-)

I can see humanity in many religions...but some are to me barbaric. If Jesus Ji or Guru Nanak Ji had the courage to question....then we all should.

Let us question .

Let's be honest and factual here. To compare, Guru Nanak with Jesus shows ignorance and absence of facts.

Jesus is all hearsay unlike Guru Nanak who wrote Gurbani.

What "Jesus said" is in doubt. All Jesus' words are second-hand quotes by Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. This Son of an omnipotent, omniscient God who could confound the wise men of the temple never wrote his own gospel. Many of the Gospels contradict each other.

and some 70-130 years after his cruxifiction four gospels were written of his life.

Yes, that is the whole problem. Do you remember what you ate, wore, whom you talked to/about, and/or did 5 years ago today in details?

It is also nonsensical to believe that some guy 2000 years ago was dead for 3 days, and then got up and walked away. Now, if one believes such things, then one has given away his/her reason.

Tejwant Singh

HGNIS

SPNer
Jan 27, 2012
Take each person for who they are. Don't ascribe pre-conceived notions onto them or judge/view them with contempt for things they had no part in.

Also, you could very easily look at Farid Ji as the model for Muslims rather than Mughuls. Live with love, not with hate.

Jan 9, 2012
@ Tejwant ji
"It is also nonsensical to believe that some guy 2000 years ago was dead for 3 days, and then got up and walked away. Now, if one believes such things, then one has given away his/her reason."

And, what about another "guy" 500 years ago who is purported to have been underwater for three days, then got up and established a new religion ... ?

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
How should we interpret Satta and Balwand vaar 'putri kual na palio kar peeroh kan murateiye ... SGGS. 967.4. I don't think the sabd is referring to the sons of Guru Nanak for not obeying their father and as such Gurgaddi was given to Bhai Lehna. Shabd has a spiritual meaning and divine message. I would request learned members to kindly help.
Sahni

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
sirf india k logo ko he guru nanak kuo mila? kya sirf sikh he sawarg pon ge... jo people forest mein rehte hai, jino ne abhi tak bolna vi nhi sekha, kya wo narak mein jyen ge?... india mein vi adi-wasi lok hai jo forest mein rehte hai and animals ko khate hai, une kuz nhi pta guru nanak g k bre mein , une kuz nhi pta kesi god k bre mein.. toh kya wo zanam marn de chakra wich pye rehn ge(will they die and born again nd again?) ?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM