• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Q: Is God A Trinity?

panja

SPNer
Jun 9, 2004
A: Sikhs do not believe in any trinity. As Guru Granth Sahib (the Holy Scripture of Sikhs) states - on its first page, first line, and first word, “God is One.”

Jesus did not say that God is a trinity. Christianity is a religion of great diversity. Common human being with no spiritual knowledge came up with the concept of their own, which they called trinity. According to the theory, the trinity is composed of the Holy Spirit, The Father and the son.

The belief in trinity is to consider three to be one and one to be three, which is completely illogical. It is a belief that considers father not to be elder than his son, a son to be equal with his father; and one preceding from both to be equal with both. It is a belief to consider a virgin to be a mother of a son, and that very son of hers to be her maker.

As explained in a previous question that Jesus is not God (Please read it by going to Frequently Asked Questions), there is no chance that Jesus can be included in trinity as equal to God.

Jesus himself made it clear that there is only one God and he is the Father. How can a Holy Spirit be considered different from the Father God. God is the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is no other entity but God. So the Father (God) and the Holy Spirit are not two different entities but One, which completely fails the theory of trinity.

In summary the theory of trinity fails completely due to following reasons described in brief above:

1. One cannot be three and three cannot be one. Simple math.
2. Son cannot be equal to the father.
3. Jesus is not God.
4. The Holy Spirit not different from God but is God.

Sikhs believe that God is One and there is no one else like God. According to Sikhism, God is NOT a trinity.

We apologize anyone who might feel offended by disregarding the theory of trinity but we are presenting what is written in the Holy Scripture of Sikhs. We do not mean in any way to disrespect someone and their beliefs.
http://www.realsikhism.com/faq/trinity.html

A

anthony

The Trinity is very easy to understand. By way of analogy, consider a three-leaf clover. Three leaves, one clover. Just remember that no analogy is exact.

How can two or three separate things be one? Consider space and time. If ever two things were different, it would be time and space. Clearly, time is one thing, space is another. We know this, Right?

Wrong. There is not 'space' and 'time'. There is just space-time. Ask any physicist. According to modern physics, space and time, which seem so different to us, are actually just different aspects of the same thing, space-time.

This does not mean that God (if you believe in Him) is like that (Three in One). It just means that there is no reason to believe that He could not be like that, should you truly believe that God exists. To say that the Trinity does not make logical sense, and therefore is wrong, is no argument at all. Space and time as the same thing do not make logical sense either.

Just as space and time are not at the mercy of human logic--they are what they are--God the Father and God the Son (should they exist) are not at the mercy of human logic either. If your human logic can't grasp a true fact (should it, in fact, be true) that is your problem, not God's.

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Members,

My intellect tells me that God is one, one and one only: there is no second and no third. I am in harmony with the Sikh view on this issue. For me it is only 'Ek Onkar. This statement answers your question on 'Trinity'.

Under the heading 'Gurbani and Gurmat Vichaarr' there is one question asked 'What Is God'. My understanding, in response to the question, is posted there in this discussion forum. There you can find the reason why I say that God is only one. I do not want to repeat it here.

With love and respect for all

Amarpal

Jun 1, 2004
"For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son."-John 5:22. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."-John 1:18. "Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."-John 14:12. "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said to you."-John 14:26.

These Biblical words refer to the threefold nature of God as Father, Son, Holy Ghost (Sat, Tat, Aum in the Hindu scriptures). God the Father is the Absolute, Unmanifested, existing beyond vibratory creation. God the Son is the Christ Consciousness (Brahma or Kutastha Chaitanya) existing within vibratory creation; this Christ Consciousness is the "only begotten" or sole reflection of the Uncreated Infinite. Its outward manifestation or "witness" is Aum or Holy Ghost, the divine, creative, invisible power which structures all creation through vibration. Aum the blissful Comforter is heard in meditation and reveals to the devotee the ultimate Truth..

Source: The Autobiography of a Yogi Chapter 14.

Rajs

SPNer
Aug 6, 2004
Earth
Dear Panja,

Is God a trinity?

No, He isn't. However, He can be understood as a trinity. Allow me to provide a simple analogy:

Sun = Sun + Light + Heat (Three yet ONE)
You cannot touch the Sun (you will die) but you can see the light it provides and feel the heat so you know that the Sun exist.

In the same way,

God = Father + Son + Spirit (Three yet ONE)
You cannot approach God directly because of sin. (You will die) But you may know God through Jesus (light) and feel God's presence through the Holy Spirit (heat).

Kind regards
Rajs

21khalsa13

HRH
SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
on earth
god manifest' as trinity fundalmental principle.

space, time, energy
father, son, holy spirit
tat, sat, aum
eye of horus holy triangle
god, man, life

and scientifically
physical studied as per newton's laws
mental as per quantum physics
spiritual as per religion
in sikhi is it correct we raise above physical and mental realms and keep our minds infused in the spiritual ----> living truthfully, not just intelltual knoeing but a whole person being.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Ek Oankar Wahiguru Ji Ki Fateh

A similar not same concept is there in Sanatan Sikhs.

1)Atamdev ie Akal who is in whole of the universe.

2)Estdev Adi Guru Darbar(In Nihungs it also included Dasham Guru Darbar and Sarbloh Guru Darbar),This is the way to unit with Atamdev to be more clear it is verbal manifestation of God.Or Sabad Guru.

3)Lastly we have Gurudev,It is the physical form of Guru Panth(as Guruship since tenth Master is with the Khalsa or the comunity) And human bodey which represent it.Say Panj Pyara or other instructor who teachs or explain the knowledge.It is not the living Guru like 'satgurus 'etc of Nirankaris or Namdharis but Panth taken as a whole.No single individual like it happens in Dehdhairs or livng Gurus.

In Fact at last to make thing simple Tenth Nanak,The last Estdev,With body said about Khalsa(Guru Panth),'In Me,In Them and In Akal,there is no differance.'(Sarbloh Guru Darbar)

Oct 16, 2004
Bay Area
anthony said:
The Trinity is very easy to understand. By way of analogy, consider a three-leaf clover. Three leaves, one clover. Just remember that no analogy is exact.

How can two or three separate things be one? Consider space and time. If ever two things were different, it would be time and space. Clearly, time is one thing, space is another. We know this, Right?

To say that the Trinity does not make logical sense, and therefore is wrong, is no argument at all. Space and time as the same thing do not make logical sense either.

Just as space and time are not at the mercy of human logic--they are what they are--God the Father and God the Son (should they exist) are not at the mercy of human logic either. If your human logic can't grasp a true fact (should it, in fact, be true) that is your problem, not God's.
Dear Anthony,

A God who requires us to hold beliefs that contradict logic for salvation cannot be just and loving.

The problem with the trinity is that it isn't informative. You are either purporting that God has three specific tasks (opposed to being three persons) or that God is really three gods. If you were to list the distinct natures of the three different aspects of the trinity, you would be providing evidence that God has parts. An incorporeal being cannot have parts, because parts require physical existence to manifest. For instance, other immaterial things like God, i.e. love and justice, don't have parts, they just are. That's the nature of the immaterial. Only cars, atoms, and the physical have parts.

The trinity is not elegant. Believing that the ultimate reality, the alpha and omega, is three persons opposed to a singular being is victim to Occam's Razor. But this a problem of aesthetics.

But what the trinity attempts to solve is the nature of Christ, that he is both human and both God, at the same time. This is the problem us monists have. How can the infinite become physical and material?

--Sincerely, Randeep Singh Hothi

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM