• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Punjabi Kinship Terms Who Are Your Relatives?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sokunn- A Second Wife.

Actually, they are not Punjabi Kinship Terms for the Relatives but a bigoted hierarchical ladder where each relative demands respect as per his/her kinship and the ones on the lower level of this ladder are left to curse their status.

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Sokunn- A Second Wife.

Actually, they are not Punjabi Kinship Terms for the Relatives but a bigoted hierarchical ladder where each relative demands respect as per his/her kinship and the ones on the lower level of this ladder are left to curse their status.

Hi Tejwant

Is there really a hierarchy in the Punjabi kinship terms? I thought it was just an elaborate (and often useful) classification system. You can pinpoint exactly who you're talking about. When I say "my aunt" in English, it needs a whole lot more discussion before we can pinpoint who I mean exactly.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Hi Tejwant

Is there really a hierarchy in the Punjabi kinship terms? I thought it was just an elaborate (and often useful) classification system. You can pinpoint exactly who you're talking about. When I say "my aunt" in English, it needs a whole lot more discussion before we can pinpoint who I mean exactly.

Thanks

Ishna,

Guru Fateh.

YES!! And a quite insulting kind. It is the worst class system ever existed.
For example, if one is the groom's little brother, the bride would call him Devur which culturally means he can joke around with the bhabi-sister in law.
The groom's older brother, who is called Jeth has to be respected by the bride. Even some families demand her to touch his feet every morning. And no hide n seek with the Bhabi a la Devur.
Auntie ji in Punjabi culture is just the run of the mill female. But in the Kinship ladder, depends on the Aunt's kinship which bestows the relative title on her for respect or as a demeaning joke
Sala- Wife's brother is the butt of jokes in the Indian culture including Punjabi. Sala is a curse word too in everyday lexicon.

Ishna and the most insulting thing I find in this Kinship business is the role of women in the culture. The daughter in law is supposed to touch her in-laws' feet, her jeth, his wife. However, the daughter cannot do the same to her dad, her older brothers etc.
And so on.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM