• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Project Conversion: 12 Months Of Spiritual Promiscuity

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
((According to Andrew's schedule, September is "Sikhism" month!))

Humanity has lost its mind, all because of religious strife. For a cultural phenomenon that’s existed as long as Man has been afraid of the dark, religion remains a divisive and misunderstood subject. A poll by The Pew Forum found that many religious groups know little to nothing about one another, or even their own theologies. People are afraid of what they don’t understand and are willing to kill and die over their concept of the divine.​

It’s time to lighten up and open our eyes.

Project Conversion: Twelve Months of Spiritual Promiscuity has a mission: To enlighten and entertain. Over the course of a year, I will immerse myself in one religion per month. With the help of spiritual mentors and research, every step of the journey will be documented here via photos, video, and blog entry. In addition, each week of each month will focus on one of four areas:

Week One: Religous Practices, Worship, and Ritual

Week Two: Culture and Art

Week Three: Social Issues/Conflicts

Week Four: Personal Reflection on the Month​

Should be fun. Will certainly be interesting, and hopefully by the end a few folks who may have been reticent to find out about different faiths will learn something by vicariously practicing for a month through me.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
My first immediate thoughts are that for over a year we have been uploading scores of articles about other faiths in Interfaith Dialogs and we have added folders to cover faiths that had not been covered earlier. There is a treasure trove there.

Coming up a close second is this thought. There are some religions that are very complex as history created divisions and sects and layer upon layer of teaching. Hinduism is probably the most outstanding example of that. There are 4 major traditions within Hinduism...a faith which defies easy analysis. The vedas have been rewritten over centuries. Something as fundamental as the BhagataVeda shows evidence of at least 4 sequential layers of verse. It would then be the most simplistic effort to understand Hinduism in a month, even with 24/7 submersion.

But I applaud the suggestion. It certainly is an improvement over freewheeing ignorance.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
You can spend a lifetime searching for Truth is just ONE religion! I think his goal is probably about raising awareness and encouraging interfaith dialogue, he's only devoting 1 week to "practice" per that as I understand it.

But his Sikhi experiences might be interesting when the time comes and I'll keep SPN posted!

(and thank you for fixing the title kaurhug)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I am trembling until the time when he provides his insights into the Sikh religion. Too many years on the Internet have turned me into sawdust when the subject rises up. :grinningkudi: This is a subject that has defied the best of the best minds in the quom.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Will be interesting to see what his experiences and reactions will be for the month. Creative, curious and lots of fortitude. Thanks for the update, Ishna ji.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM