• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Printed 5 Volume Set W/ Gurmukhi & English

Kaur92

SPNer
Apr 15, 2017
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Anyone interested in the printed 5 volume set of the Guru Granth Sahib with an English translation from Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa?
Happy to give it out for free, though a reimbursement of shipping costs would be nice..

=)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Anyone interested in the printed 5 volume set of the Guru Granth Sahib with an English translation from Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa?
Happy to give it out for free, though a reimbursement of shipping costs would be nice..

=)

I would suggest that you donate this to any Gurdwara of your choice as everything is available here on the net.
One sad thing though. Sant Singh Khalsa's translation of the SGGS is the worst possible. The poor chap told Yogi Bhajan that his Gurmukhi skills were very limited but who can say no to his Demi-God?
This was just the beginning. With Yogi's influence on SGPC, he made them recommend this translation as the best and they followed on that by officially recommending it.

Kaur92

SPNer
Apr 15, 2017
I would suggest that you donate this to any Gurdwara of your choice as everything is available here on the net.
One sad thing though. Sant Singh Khalsa's translation of the SGGS is the worst possible. The poor chap told Yogi Bhajan that his Gurmukhi skills were very limited but who can say no to his Demi-God?
This was just the beginning. With Yogi's influence on SGPC, he made them recommend this translation as the best and they followed on that by officially recommending it.

Many thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, a lot of English translations are based on Vedantic philosophy.
I am not so sure the local Gurdwara will want to have this set of pothis. For one, I live in a non-English speaking country and people really know very little English. Second, I have highlighted a few words and added some comments in writing, which is considered a "sin" by quite a few Sikhs...

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

=)
Well, yes, me.... Wow, really?
I'd love to have it and I cannot afford buying it. So, this would be an amazing gift . Can I ask how is it that you don't want it anymore? I'm in Spain, were are you? (to calculate the shipping costs)

I'm aware that this is not cosidered the best translation possible but still it is provably the only chance I have for now to have the SGGS complete. And Anyway at some point I hope to learn Panjabi..

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
Maybe I can make the most o the thread to ask for opinions about what is the best translation possible of the SGGS (into English)...?

Thanks!

Kaur92

SPNer
Apr 15, 2017
Well, yes, me.... Wow, really?
I'd love to have it and I cannot afford buying it. So, this would be an amazing gift . Can I ask how is it that you don't want it anymore? I'm in Spain, were are you? (to calculate the shipping costs)

I'm aware that this is not cosidered the best translation possible but still it is provably the only chance I have for now to have the SGGS complete. And Anyway at some point I hope to learn Panjabi..

Great! I will be shipping it from Germany.
Well, I think using this set of Pothis for a first sehaj path is fine. But now I read Gurbani without translation, and figured somebody else might want this set of books.

Kaur92

SPNer
Apr 15, 2017
Maybe I can make the most o the thread to ask for opinions about what is the best translation possible of the SGGS (into English)...?

Thanks!

Personally, I would recommend Prof Sahib Singh's darpan for anyone who knows Punjabi well. English translations I would recommend from Dr Harjinder Singh Dilgeer.
In addition to reading translations or explanations I think it would be good to get educated about the existing spiritual philosophies in India at the Guru's time. Gurbani, as I understand it, uses reference to common practises (pilgrimages, chanting...) and beliefs to actually question them, and not to reinforce doing the same things with a new scripture.

Maybe check out the following video:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Thanks!

Simranjit ji,

Guru Fateh.

Sadly, there is none because of the earlier Christian influences. We, here at SPN are trying to rectify this mal.
Having said that, you are capable of finding the right meaning even from the misleading translations because of your inquisitiveness and your personal journey in Sikhi. Hence, this would be wonderful for you.
Talking about translations, the Spanish Translation of the SGGS is atrocious and the same goes for the Jap ji translated into Portuguese. They were both translated not from the original Gurmukhi script but from the English Translations. The above two translations are also from the 3HO devotees.

Last edited:

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
Great! I will be shipping it from Germany.
Well, I think using this set of Pothis for a first sehaj path is fine. But now I read Gurbani without translation, and figured somebody else might want this set of books.
Cool, let me check the usual fares to make sure I can afford it. My partner told me it ocsted him 12 euros to send a few magazines from Spain to Italy :( !

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
Personally, I would recommend Prof Sahib Singh's darpan for anyone who knows Punjabi well. English translations I would recommend from Dr Harjinder Singh Dilgeer.
In addition to reading translations or explanations I think it would be good to get educated about the existing spiritual philosophies in India at the Guru's time. Gurbani, as I understand it, uses reference to common practises (pilgrimages, chanting...) and beliefs to actually question them, and not to reinforce doing the same things with a new scripture.

Simranjit ji,

Guru Fateh.

Sadly, there is none because of the earlier Christian influences. We, here at SPN are trying to rectify this mal.
Having said that, you are capable of finding the right meaning even from the misleading translations because of your inquisitiveness and your personal journey in Sikhi. Hence, this would be wonderful for you.
Talking about translations, the Spanish Translation of the SGGS is atrocious and the same goes for the Jap ji translated into Portuguese. They were both translated not from the original Gurmukhi script but from the English Translations. The above two translations are also from the 3HO devotees.

Thanks a lot!

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
Kaur92,

could you let me know the total weight to better calculate the cost ?

I have a friend living in Leipzig, if by chance you were there I might take it myself when I am visiting him hopefully soon.

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018

The Essence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib by Gurbachan Singh Makin.
It is a very well written translation in English .Would recommend Strongly

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
kaur 92. it is insult to the writer to come on the net and offert 5 copies for free. but before you ship them to any one, please read his translation of waaraan te wadheek by Nanak sir. [age 1410. then u will have the real picture

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: