Pride And Balance

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by seekingsikhi, Jan 8, 2018.

1. seekingsikhi

seekingsikhi Writer SPNer

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
    Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sangat ji,
    A couple of weeks ago I took a very important test for getting into school. I did well on it. So well in fact that my ahankaar nearly got the best of me and I almost made a couple of bad decisions. I wanted to celebrate, and not without good reason. With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone knew any bani particularly about this subject. When it comes down to it, all great works are works of Vaheguru, but are we not entitled to some of the pleasure of a job well done? Where is the balance? Obviously a building cannot go up if the concrete foundation doesn't harden, which only happens because god set up the chemistry to do so; but the building isn't self-assembling. I have to imagine there is a healthy level of pride that doesn't boil over into ahankaar. Thoughts, sangat ji?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

3. singhbj

singhbj SPNer

4. Sikhilove

Sikhilove Writer SPNer

Yeh you can accept praise and you can praise yourself.

Ultimately, we do nothing. This is His khel and it's All by His Grace. The hard work u put in derived the Karam of your good grades. It's Karma :)

5. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel We seek him here,we sikh Writer SPNer

Ego is very hard to pass,Forge your Mind in the Furnace (if you can find it) ,and remember you are just the Dealer in Deeds.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  6. Sikhilove

Sikhilove Writer SPNer

Ah that's awesome :)

7. Navdeep88

Navdeep88 Writer SPNer Supporter

Acknowledging that we struggle with our ego is better than fake humility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Harry Haller

Harry Haller

Panga Master

SPNer

good, well done

err since when has celebrating been seen as something heinous in Sikhism? The Gurus celebrated wedding and festivals, I do not recall any preaching against such.
    a bani to celebrate celebrating?

err surely ALL works are works of Vaheguru, great or not?

ahh, yes, i can see where your coming from, clearly you should uhmm wear your best black kurta pyjama and look solemn
    where is your balance? or where is THE balance? Well I would say THE balance depends on the situation, the circumstances, the use of intellect and logic, and if original was standing behind me, I suppose faith.

read this, it is a short story, sinden.org: "The Verger" by W Somerset Maugham , if you have the time, it is quite interesting

do you really know whether your building up, down, sideways?would our friend the verger have celebrated being able to read?
    in my very humble opinion, both pride and ego are needed in order to survive, so there must be a healthy level, it is up to you to dictate that level with the tools and circumstances available at the time, I think given the huge amount spent on fireworks in Amritsar that the spiritual home of Sikhsim is not above celebrating, or you could just pop over to any Sikh wedding, so it would appear the Spiritual and Secular camps are in agreement, celebrating something is ok.....

• Like Like x 1