• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Prayers I Can Say

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Hi. I haven't participated in the forums here for a long while and was never too actively involved, but I hope to come here more and more now.

I am just starting out now...embracing Sikhism, though not totally. I'll see where it goes. One thing that caused me to make this step was what happened in Wisconsin. I felt tugged or nudged, maybe a Divine Touch, I don't know, but it felt like I could honor the lives lost by myself dedicating to myself to more exploration.

I would like to make prayers for those who were harmed at the Wisconsin gurdwara. Not only for those who died, but those they left behind. Are there any specific prayers or recitations made at times like these?

Thank you.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hi Jasnoorji

Please do stay around this time. :)

In direct answer to your question, Ardaas is your best option. Some people might recommend reciting Sukhmani Sahib or Benti Chaupai but for what purpose I'm not sure.

Indirectly I would ask what is the purpose of your prayer - why do you want to pray? What do you hope it will achieve? How will your prayers suppliment and enhance your physical response to the event?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Welcome Jasnoor ji

There is no official prayer as such.
You may do whatever you feel comfortable with.

We pray for different things, some may pray because this news is upsetting them whereas some will pray because they feel do and sorry for the victims.

The prayer helps our mood by taking the mind away from any stimulating or painful factor.
If you are just out and about, or even when at home, you can just waheguru simran and this will help bring a state of calm and comfort.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
I will dedicate my morning and evening prayers to them today. May their souls truly be immersed in the Ocean of Divine Love.

Thank you, Arvind ji.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM