• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure Practicing Tying Dumalla

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Okay, so I decided to try to tie dumalla. The fabric is brand new, mul mul... and it's a bit stiff (not washed or anything) so it turned out a bit loose, but overall I like how I look in it! I *think* I figured out the basics of it anyway... Brings me to my question, is Dumalla only for Nihangs... or I also remember some people saying that only Amritdhari (at the very least) should tie Dumalla?? Anyway, should I stick to gol dastar or does this style suit me better?

Attachments

• dumalla3.jpg
    dumalla3.jpg
    134.4 KB · Reads: 765
  • dumalla2.jpg
    dumalla2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Reads: 555

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Nice one Akasha Ji, actually I cannot choose between the Gol-dastaar or the Dumalla for you, both look equally awesome.
What lengths and fabric do you use for tying the Dumalla? I haven't tried it yet...:animatedkhanda1:

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Actually that's how I did it... Twist my kesh into the fabric and coil it on top to start but my hair isn't really long yet so it doesn't make a big 'bunga' lol it's cut off in the pic but it does stick up a little bit... If only I had some shastars to put in it I think would look good!!

I used 8 meters total for this. That's all I had so when I cut to dumalla width (1/2 width) I had two pieces both 8 meters. So the inner one is same length as outer. Need to bring back lots of material when I go to India :)

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Actually that's how I did it... Twist my kesh into the fabric and coil it on top to start but my hair isn't really long yet. I used 8 meters total for this.

Twisting the hair into the fabric at the start is a thing I dont particularly like, I have seen most of the people in Youtube videos doing this. I prefer the proper top-knot while tying my Patiala-shahi turban and casual round-turban.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Twisting the hair into the fabric at the start is a thing I dont particularly like, I have seen most of the people in Youtube videos doing this. I prefer the proper top-knot while tying my Patiala-shahi turban and casual round-turban.

My hair is very thick and co{censored} so it won't stay in a top knot... It bounces right back out! So twisting it in the cloth is the only way I can keep it together while tying.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Try the rubber band :D

I do already :p I need the rubber band to keep it in a ponytail on top of my head just so I can actually twist it in the cloth without it jumping out at the sides as I start to twist! LOL My kesh really has a mind of its own!! haha

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Haha....tough luck then....:D

Now you know why I took to tying dastar so easily huh? LOL

It just makes life SOOOOO much easier to contain it all inside a dastar. Before, I would spend an hour blowing my hair dry and then using a flat iron to straighten it just so it would not look like I stuck my finger in a light socket! hahaha Now 15 mins I can do gol dastar, and it's all contained! Plus the bonus is in the wind, my hair does not get in front of my eyes anymore either.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Akasha ji,

Guru fateh.

You look great and now a days it is a trend to change the turban styles among both sexes in the diaspora. So, just please yourself the way you want to.

@ Aristotle ji,

I am one of the dying species who does not tie Patiala style pug. :)

Regards

Tejwant Singh

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Akasha ji just a short note to say you look radiant and majestic. May Guru ji bless you on your chosen path, always.

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM