• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

UK Police And Public Injured As Violence Flares At "Peaceful" Dudley Protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Breeb you joined today , are you trying to ruin the discussion ,maybe because you are a member of another forum.
Your first post was calling the protesters hardliners and now you are having a go at the committee?
Could you be a snake in the grass!

I quote
Notorious Gunman

"Im a Celebrity LOLLL...Anyways it seems as though our dear old friend Mr Medare(dudley committee supporter has fled to Sikh Phiolosophy Network and has started moaning on there..the only problem is they have jumped to his rescue and are 100% behind his views ....it seems as though our friend Mr Medare has found a home amongst the pakandhi missionary community...."

"The gifted propagandist brings to a boil ideas and passions already simmering in the minds of his hearers".E.Hoffer

Questions from the Mainstream Media regarding the Protest held at Dudley on 28 May 2011Satkaar press release
1. What do you make of the term 'militant sikhs' being used to describe your group across much of the mainstream media?

The Satkaar Campaign is just that: a campaign. It is not a formal group or organisation. It is neither a registered charity nor a private association, nor does it have any formal office or office-bearers. The Satkaar Campaign is a UK Sangat (community) led grassroots Gurdwara (Sikh religious place of worship) reform movement focussed on preventing the gross sacrilege of parties, meat, alcohol and tobacco being permitted on the holy Gurdwara premises or any premises funded with the Sangat's donations which is against the basic tenants of the Sikh faith and specifically against the Sandesh (edict) issued by the Akal Takht (supreme temporal authority of the Sikh religion) in 2006.

The Satkaar Campaign strongly disagrees and takes offence at the term 'militant Sikhs' which has been used to describe members the Sikh community who attended the rally in Dudley last Saturday. The rally was attended by approximately 500 Sikhs young and old alike including men, women and children from across the country. The attendees included representatives from leading Sikh Gurdwaras in the midlands.

The Sikh men, women and children who attended the rally were exercising their democratic right to peacefully protest. It is sad and hurtful that terms such as "militants" and "extremists" have been used by the mainstream media. This is in contrast to the way that same media has reported other protests for example the student protests in London this year in which the students were protesting in respect of increased tuition fees. These protests involved considerable violence and damage to property, smashed windows, attacks on the Police, graffiti on walls and attempts to break into Government buildings but the media did not describe all protesters as militants or extremists. Rather the media differentiated the majority of peaceful protesters from the "small minority of troublemakers" and the "small hand of people that caused disorder".

The rally in Dudley lasted approximately six hours and remained largely peaceful and involved those attending sitting down in front of the Sikh Cultural Centre and reciting prayers to raise awareness of the gross sacrilege that was taking place. The vast majority of those who attended remained peaceful.

2. Did you envisage the protest would turn violent?

No. There was unfortunately a small element of disorder which was isolated in nature. Whilst we consider that there was considerable provocation and goading by the attendees of the party which led to isolated instances of disorder, the the Satkaar Campaign does NOT condone any such behaviour and is, and will always remain, a PEACEFUL movement that makes all attempts to resolve issues through raising awareness and dialogue. Representatives of the Satkaar Campaign and other Gurdwaras remained in full dialogue with the West Midlands Police before and during the rally.

All attempts were made by the Satkaar Campaign and Sikh leaders in the Midlands Gurdwara to highlight that the protest was a peaceful event, a peaceful protocol was released in advance and distributed on the day a copy of which can be found on our website. There were also several discussions in advance on the Sikh television media. The majority of attendees focused on chanting and reciting prayers. Continuous attempts were made by the majority who attended the rally to maintain calm and focus during the rally.

A similar rally held at Grays Sikh Community Centre in Essex on 16 October 2010 in which the Satkaar Campaign issued the same protocol was entirely peaceful in nature and passed off without any incident.

3. How long have you been in conversation with the Sikh Cultural Centre about the consumption of meat and alcohol on the premises?

The Akal Takht Sandesh was issued in April 2006. This edict provides clear guidance to global Sikhs that buildings owned or associated with Gurdwaras must not serve alcohol or meat. All Gurdwara's have been sent a copy of the Sandesh and are aware of it.

The Satkaar Campaign made contact with the Guru Nanak Singh Sabha (GNSS) Dudley Gurdwara committee (which owns and runs the Sikh Cultural Centre) back in January 2011. Concerned Sikhs from the UK sought to meet with GNSS Dudley Gurdwara committee several times in the last five months leading up to the protest. A coalition of the leading Gurdwara's and Gurdwara Council's sought to meet with the Dudley Gurdwara committee on 8 April 2011 by way of a meeting arranged through the West Midlands Police. The Dudley committee refused to sit down with the representatives of those other Gurdwara's on the spurious basis that there was no agenda for the meeting. The Dudley Gurdwara representatives in the presence of the West Midlands Police promised to hold a meeting with those other Gurdwara representatives within a week but subsequently refused to sit down to discuss the matter with anyone.

All attempts at dialogue and negotiation were made with the GNSS Dudley committee by the Satkaar Campaign and other Sikh community leaders from the midlands. The Sikh community had no alternative but to peacefully protest against the party booking on 28 May 2011 following the refusal of the Dudley committee to even sit down to talk about the matter.

4. What was the attitude of those in charge of the Sikh Cultural Centre to your simple request?

The attitude of the GNSS Dudley Gurdwara committee can only be described as deliberately defiant and an attempt to play with the sentiments of the Sikh community. The GNSS Dudley committee should have at the very least sat down to talk about the matter with the representatives of the other Sikh Gurdwara's in the midlands region who had sought dialogue with the committee with a view to resolving the matter of the Sikh Cultural Centre and avoiding the need for the Sikh community to protest.

As you may be aware from our press release of 29 May 2011 the initial party booking made for 28 May 2011 was made by a family in respect of a pre-wedding function. A peaceful rally was originally called by the Sikh community to take place outside the Sikh Cultural Centre on that date to raise awareness of the sacrilege that was to occur in the sacred properties of the Gurdwara and how this is offending and hurting Sikh sentiments.

However members of the family who had booked the party on 28 May 2011 contacted representatives of the Guru Nanak Gurdwara West Bromwich to arrange an emergency meeting with representatives of the local Sikh community. The meeting took place on 25 May 2011 and was attended by representatives from various Sikh Gurdwaras in the West Midlands.

At the meeting the family members explained that they were aware of the rally and that they had been told by representatives of the GNSS Dudley Gurdwara that the protesters were only a handful of "fundamentalist" Sikhs wishing to stop all Sikhs having parties in Dudley. However, having understood the nature of the rally, which was merely against such parties taking place on Gurdwara owned or related premises in line with principles and edits of the Sikh faith, they too agreed that hosting the party at the Sikh Cultural Centre in Dudley was against the principles of the Sikh religion.

The family members explained that subject to finding an alternative venue at short notice they would be prepared to cancel their party. Having found an alternative venue the family duly cancelled its party booking at the Sikh Cultural Centre. This in turn led to a press release on 25 May 2011, cancelling the original peaceful rally.

However, for some reason which can only be interpreted as a defiant and deliberate attempt to play with the sentiments of the Sikh community, another party booking was arranged at the Sikh Cultural Centre by the GNSS Dudley Gurdwara to take place on 28 May 2011. This was confirmed by West Midlands Police to Sikh community leaders on the evening of Friday 27 May 2011. It is widely believed that the booking was made by a committee member of the GNSS Dudley Gurdwara itself although this has not been confirmed.

5. Do you think your campaign is one supported by a majority of British Sikhs?

The Satkaar Campaign has widespread support amongst the mainstream of Sikh Gurdwaras, Sikh organisations and the grass roots of the Sikh community. The Satkaar Campaign is UK Sangat (community) led reform movement. The Satkaar Campaign has worked closely with a number of Gurdwara's and Sikh organisations based in the midlands and beyond in relation to the Dudley matter.

6. West Midlands Police have launched an investigation into the weekends events and are looking to identify individuals relating to the violent outbursts. Will you work with the police in identifying those individuals?

The Satkaar Campign was in full liaison with the West Midlands Police prior to and during the rally. We understand from media reports that the Police has launched an investigation regarding the weekends events and look forward to the outcome of the same in due course.

7. What's next for the campaign?

The Satkaar Campaign will remain focused on raising awareness of the gross sacrilege that a small minority of Gurdwara committees in the UK are continuing to commit by permitting the consumption of meat and alcohol on Gurdwara owned or related premises. The Satkaar Campaign looks forward to working positively with all Sikh communities to eradicate such practices from all Gurdwara premises throughout the country.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Look, I like a good beefburger like the next person, but if a number of gurdwaras from the midlands have approached the dudley committee over the last few months trying to make them see sense about the Akaal takhat hukamnama and the protests were 95% peaceful then surely the committee should take note of the sentiments of the sangat ? do you not think ?

Hey, maybe am wrong who knows ?

Breeb you make a good point, but I have been thinking about this.

Now these function halls have been set up by temples as a seperate entity from the Temple itself. It is a lucrative source of income and helps the temple with its up keep.

I personally don't drink but wouldn't stop anyone from doing it. We know they are going to do it anyway, so lets be grown up about it.

Also what is this nonsense these fundi's are going on about meat? Don't they know their own Rehat Maryada which allows Sikhs to eat meat? I mean meat is served in Langaar in some Gurdwaras in India. Infact meat was included in Langaar up until the 2nd Guru, when the Guru's Vaishnav brother in law objected.

Jun 3, 2011
Goading comment removed.

Sinner Ji were you not so very prominant on other forums also ?

Listen, I don't know much, I am just a little greeb person that is all.

I didn't realise that Gurdwaras or associated properties were supposed to be "lucrative source of income" I thought in my humble opinion that they were places of worship, maybe its just me I dunno.

By all means make party halls but don;t make them out of gurdwara funds and then justify them. From what I know that centre was made by gurdwara funds but then sold to people in the committee for a nominal £1, surely that cannot be right can it ?

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Breeb,I came here after being harassed off your forum ,I did not have much choice ,I also asked for the admin to delete my account and have not posted there again.Your aka is I believe still posting! you are playing both sides.You have not left the other one,Still trying to harass me.
I respect this forum's members and I have no other avenue ,but your intentions are not honourable, you only seek to disrupt our discussions.
Or patronise as in your first posting I quote"All the comments are spot on. These people are so hard-line fundamentalists, what is wrong with a bit of meat and sharaab in a Sikh Community hall eh?"
I told you it has not been funded from the golak ,ask Dudley Council how much they provided if you don't believe me.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Breeb ji

I am sorry if I am ruining your cosy chats but I was just opening the discussion up a little that is all, no offence meant.

I did have the feeling you were either opening the discussion up or winding the forum up. I was not sure. I suspected you were being sarcastic.

Two poles of extremism are now in play in this thread.

1. Beadbi watchers who fulfill their mission in life - self styled - as the army of God (rather than sant sipahi). For them violence is justified in haumei.

2. Lounge lizards who fulfill their mission in life - self styled - as armchair philosophers who can make any deed that cheapens their religion sound like a creative thought. For them condoning or permitting the use of alcohol is justified by the right to "express myself."

I am not real happy with the direction this thread has taken because it is not going anywhere at this point in time. Looking to close it sooner rather than later. There are some meaningful statements in this thread about the nature of the cultural center that we should take a look at if we want to save the thread. Let's discuss those points in relation to what happened. spnadmin

Jun 3, 2011
I am sorry you think I am here to harass you. Deletion verbal abuse.

We say that they caused havoc and mayhem but from what little I know there were peaceful protests all day with naam japing and Chaupai Sahib paths, hardly what you would call disruptive elements. From what I have read, and I don’t know much, they even handed out food and water to the sangat and police on duty. Hardly actions of extremists.

deletions

From what I heard the community centre was sold to the same people of the gurdwara for £1.

Seems strange don’t you think? If the centre was built using sangat money why would they sell it for just £1 ?

deletions

I don’t know much guys, but to me if a building is in the name of the gurdwara then it should follow the rules. If a gurdwara does not allow meat and alcohol and tobacco then I would have thought that that should also be the case for its associate buildings. Seems reasonable to me.

Deletions of all statements intended to goad another member, and hearsay statements.

Breeb ji,

N.B., Leasing or selling real estate for a token fee such as £1 is a common practice centuries old. Usually a government body (like a town or city government) or a large corporation will sell or lease to a smaller entity, individual or enterprise. Under a lease this will be for a stated period of time. For example 99 years. It is also not uncommon for individuals to exchange property the same way. The exchange of £1 is intended to make the transfer of property official. It is part of English Common law and continues in countries who retain elements of English Common law. EG., in the US houses on public park land can be leased for $1 US for the lifetime of the lessee. So don't make a issue of this.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The thread is closed. It is wandering in circles. And...a dispute from another forum has been transmitted to SPN. Nothing new or informative has been added to the discussion. What we have are personal, private theories of what happened before, during and after the event. If new information is reported via the news media that contributes to understanding the issues, then the thread can be re-opened. When it is re-opened, let's stay with the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: