• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Please Define Literal Meaning Of Sat Sri Akaal

Apr 7, 2005
Brampton
Sat = That which has been true since before time.
Sri = Respectful term.
Akaal = Not part of the life and death cycle of this world. Beyond the 3 world (Tamo, Rajo and Sato) and a quality of GOD. Also another name for GOD.

So now if you fuse all 3 words into one sentence you get.

Jo bole so nihal Sat Sri Akal = Blessed are thee who say, The Immortal God is truth from before time till after.

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
from what ive learned its like this:

Sat: True
Sri: respectful term, also can mean Holy
Akal: God

so in total it means: True is Holy God

Apr 7, 2005
Brampton
There is a bit of difference between Sat and Such both mean truth but Sat has a deeper meaning, while Such is the literal translation of Truth.

As for Akal. Since Sat Sri Akal was used primarily as a War Cry the word Akal has a special meaning because it represents that which is beyond Death.

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Aman Ji,

As i have been mentioning in many of my posts, all the words are arbitrary verbal sounds which have come to denote some meaning in a given society.

The appellation 'Sat-Sri-Akaal' one makes there different sounds, each one of them means the ultimate Reality. 'Sat' is one which cannot be diffrentiated or dissolved. 'Sri' is the Head which means the 'One' i.e. 'Ik' and 'Akaal' means independent of time, which again means the same.

When we say 'Sat-Sri-Akaal', in our mind we must remember the 'Ik' three times. The same should occur to us when we listen some one saying so. Then only this appellation has some meaning and then only the sayer and the listener will get blessed.

In fact 'Sat-Sri-Akaal is a very small Jaap. Without the feeling in one's mind which are natural to these words, they loose their significance. If that happen they are left with no real meaning. It will hardly matter if they are uttered by a human or a robot.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
UnstoppableSingh said:
There is a bit of difference between Sat and Such both mean truth but Sat has a deeper meaning, while Such is the literal translation of Truth.

As for Akal. Since Sat Sri Akal was used primarily as a War Cry the word Akal has a special meaning because it represents that which is beyond Death.

God = beyond Death

Apr 7, 2005
Brampton
i know it does but Akaal is also a quality of GOD. Akaal represents a certain quality of GOD and that quality is only limited to GOD that is why it represents GOD. But the word has a meaning other then the simple translation to GOD.

I choose to show the deeper meaning because it gives a broader understanding of the phrase.

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
UnstoppableSingh said:
i know it does but Akaal is also a quality of GOD. Akaal represents a certain quality of GOD and that quality is only limited to GOD that is why it represents GOD. But the word has a meaning other then the simple translation to GOD.

I choose to show the deeper meaning because it gives a broader understanding of the phrase.

of course its a quality, because someone/thing who os beyong death has a great quality.Akal both tells us the quality of God (beyond death) and represents God as an indestructable Being.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM