• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Part III Liberation Mukti-Niravan

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
<>
The Sikh religion is monotheistic, believing in One Supreme God. Absolute yet All-pervading, the Eternal, the Creator, the Cause of Causes, without enmity, without hate, both Immanent in His creation and beyond it. It is no longer the God of one nation, but the GOD OF GRACE. That being so, He creates human not to punish them for their sins, but for the realization of their true purpose in the cosmos and to merge themselves into Him. The basic postulate of Sikhism is that life is not sinful in its origin, but having emanated from a Pure Source, the True One abides in it. Not only the whole of Sikh Philosophy, but the whole of Sikh history and character flows from 'this principle'. The Sikhs do not recognize the caste system nor do they believe in Idol-worship, rituals or superstitions. The gods and goddesses are considered as nonentities. This religion consists of practical living, in rendering service to humanity and engendering tolerance and brotherly love towards all. The Sikh Gurus did not advocate retirement from the world in order to attaining salvation. It can be achieved by any one who earns an honest living and leads a normal life and shares his/her earnings with the needy. Sikhism does not accept the ideology of pessimism. It advocates self-confidence, optimism and hope. The maxim, "Resist not evil but whosoever shall smite thee onto the right cheek, turn to him the other also", does not find any place in Sikh way of life. On the other hand it enjoins its followers to practice self-determination, self-respect, and self-defense. Sikhs believe in 'Naam' as the source of origin of the entire nature including the entire mankind. Many believe that it is not possible to see HIM. It is to be noted that there is no organized and structured sector in which one is imparted the knowledge and interpretation of the scripture that is authored in old dialect of Punjabi or Gurmukhi that most of them cannot understand. For this reason many terms and expressions are likely to be misinterpreted on account of the free flow of the English translations of the scriptures. There is also no effort by any central body to enforce some ethical laws in this direction.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

III-1

Alternate Routes to liberation

With the limited knowledge / intellect and the inputs received, it is my firm belief that one can get ‘Naam’ with patience and understanding self and the nature. It is through self- realization that one can realize Him. ‘Naam’ and ‘sabad’ are the two most important terms that has appeared in Gurbani literature. However, it seems that not enough can be stated on this as the material is scant and the persons who have been blessed with such a jewel [or the blessed state of mind] are fairly limited. After listening to Gyani Maskeen ji today morning, it became apparent that Gurmukhs who have realized HIM would only be few. I do not know any person who would state that one has received the grace. May be it is out of humility that person do not talk of this or admit so.

This is not to suggest that the Sikhism has only one route available. ‘Naam’/’sabad’ may be the pen ultimate stage of liberation or merger. Dhan Sri Guru Granth sahib ji has various places indicated in more than one ways that suggests that one can reach the goal with confidence by following the edicts contained in Granth Sahib ji. It is the way that one looks at.

We are all contemporarian undertaking this journey of life. No one is superior or inferior. We all have all the nuts and bolts that were produced and fitted in HIS workshop. He is the artist and the Creator; we are just like his paintings, all of us are entitled for the best that HE has to bless us with. None can be advisor. Our sole and single Guru is SGGS ji.

ijs no ik®pw krY iqsu Awpn nwmu dyie ]
[He Himself gives His Name to those, upon whom He bestows His Mercy.]

No Sadhoo and no saint unless he falls within the definition as contained in SGGS ji, if there is some sadhoo and saint we shall meet Him if HE so directs to me and not otherwise.

Howsoever, knowledgeable one may be the above is a stated fact of Granth sahib ji. I may be an ignorant so far as the Gurbani is concerned but the above words infuse lot of confidence whenever I read these lines or when I feel discouraged by the various advisors and critiques and by their so called statements and pieces of advices. There are some experiences that I would like to share with you over a period of time. But if you are the one who is seriously pursuing Sikhism, do it with full force. He shall caste HIS glance when we are worthy of it. Let us try to be worthy of HIS glance. Let us beg for Mercy in collective manner that HE listens to us. If any living being has the courage to disappoint I have ten times the courage to beg for His mercy and beg for the mercy for the one who causes me to be in that state. I have started maintaining a diary and keep on putting on gems like above. The above line may not a stand- alone and may be pre-conditioned. His grace and Mercy cannot be pre-conditioned. It is HIS glance and Mercy that we come here and it will be with HIS glance that we shall depart. I am counting a few of the ways that should lead to the achievement of the elevated state of affairs. Let us analyse the bani and that has been stated in SGGs ji in this regard.

Bani-Sachi Bani- Significance therof

siqgur kI bwxI siq siq kir jwxhu gurisKhu hir krqw Awip muhhu kFwey ] (308-5, gauVI, mÚ 4)
[O GurSikhs, know that the Bani, the Word of the True Guru, is true, absolutely true. The Creator Lord Himself causes the Guru to chant it.]

Comments:
In the above it has been emphasized that Bani, as contained in The SGGS, is a word from the Mouth of Almighty and everything contained in it is all but Truth and Sat. Bani is the recorded form of the hymns and the teachings of the Guru’s as contained in the sikh scriptures and by following the Bani one can find the destination Sachkhand. There are many who will try to deviate by showing that what we are doing is not the right way but carry on the way you feel is accorded and approved by the scripture, there is no one to tell us that what we practice is wrong. Anything done as per the SGGS ji is approved irrespective of the fact whether we have been blessed with ‘Naam’ or not. That stage will follow automatically. For me ‘Naam’ is ‘waheguru’. You may select that suits you. None dare suggest that what is to be done is to be incorrect. One need not listen to even the best commentator if his comments causes you to deviate from the truth or makes one sad for some time. If one slanders it would be his own fate and destiny. Let us see as to how the Guru Sahibans have condemned slandering.

Slandering and Condemnation

ikrqu inMdk kw Duir hI pieAw
The fate of the slanderer is pre-ordained from the very beginning of time.
nwnk jo iqsu BwvY soeI iQAw
[O Nanak, whatever pleases God's Will comes to pass.]

E&OE

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all and Seeker07 Jee!

Quote "No Sadhoo and no saint unless he falls within the definition as contained in SGGS ji, if there is some sadhoo and saint we shall meet Him if HE so directs to me and not otherwise."
People's mind examines every person they meet if he is a true SaaDhoo, Saint or a fake.
God enjoys those people missing the true Guru's suggestion.
Strange some read that much and lack so much of Gurbaanee.

Thanks for the wonderful reference from Guru Arjan Dev Jee.
ijs no ik®pw krY iqsu Awpn nwmu dyie ] (1, gauVI suKmnI, gurU Arjn dyv)
"jis no kirpaa karai tis aapan naam dayi." SGGS 281-1

I feel to ask why have you missed these Vaaks from Gurdev.

Awpn nwmu siqgur qy pwieE ]1] rhwau ] (6, gauVI, gurU Arjn dyv)
"aapan naam satgur tay paa-i-o." ||1|| rahaa-o. (6, Gaurhee, Guru Arjan Dev) SGGS 187-6

swDU sMgiq qau bsY jau Awpn hoih dieAwl ] (17, gauVI, gurU Arjn dyv)
"saaDhoo sangat ta-o basai ja-o aapan hohi da-i-aal." (17, Gaurhee, Guru Arjan Dev) SGGS 255-17

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is not only available in printed form. He is available in spoken form on CDs and audio Cassettes also. He is present in Data form on Internet too.
May I ask why so many are missing true Naam then?

Balbir Singh

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
People's mind examines every person they meet if he is a true SaaDhoo, Saint or a fake.

Dear Balbir Singh ji Sat Sri Akal!!

Do you suggest that one should not examine the sadoo he meets

then how is one going to recognize one??

may be one who can give you the glimpse of god /nam !? is this the answer

actually i was just trying to guess may be you can tell what you think

Jatinder Singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Jatinder Jee!

People's mind examines even God unconsciously. With what else their mind is busy when everything is God Himself?

Please do not leave the SaaDhoo who preaches Naam. A true SaaDhoo will be happy and ready with your blessed time without delay.
A fake will find many reasons to send one away.

The true source of water does not send anyone away without drinking.

Balbir Singh

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
III-2
Bani and Service of Lord.

Naam for The Pre-destined

Naam is the greatest gift that one can be blessed with. As per Gurbani, only rare are blessed with His grace. It is very clearly stated that :

koit mDy iknY pCwixAw hir nwmw scu soeI ] (769-1, sUhI, mÚ 3)
[Among millions, there is scarcely one who realizes the Name of the True Lord.]

After listening to Gyani Maskeen ji today morning, it became apparent that Gurmukhs who have realized HIM would only be few[1]. It is for those lucky few who are blessed with such a destiny and have the blessings of the Almighty. ‘Naam’ is the creative potency and, probably, there is none on earth who can describe as what ‘Naam’ is and how much potent it is.

kudriq kvx khw vIcwru ] (4-2, jpu, mÚ 1)
[How can Your Creative Potency be described?]

He Himself knows this.

Karmas

One’s destiny is molded as per the deeds that are done by the one. Hence the deeds in actions and thoughts make us that we should be as per the Law of karma. It is not essential to know that as to when the reward of good karmas will be received. This is the single area about which nothing much can be speculated and stated. It is HE who decides as to when the fructification will take place. It is not with in our hands to see that we get the fruits of karmas immediately. It would be provided as per the bigger plan of the nature.

His Service and devotion

However, we should be in HIS service to the extent that we can. It is through ‘Bani’ that we are advised to serve Him as much as we can.

ijin syivAw iqin pwieAw mwnu [2]
[Those who serve Him are honored.]

To some extent we can serve Him through singing His praises through ‘sabads[3]’ or more clearly ‘sabad keertan’or By contemplating on HIS teachings. There are endless ways in which one can serve HIM. Gurbani lays stress upon the service of the lord in Holy Sangat. The is a clear emphasis on keertan as well. The bani and as to constant listening to the same has a beneficial effect on Human mind.

ihrdY suix suix min AMimRqu BwieAw ] (366-11, Awsw, mÚ 4)
[Constantly listening to the Ambrosial Gurbani in the heart, it becomes pleasing to the mind.]

Amrit Vela: the Best Time for contemplation

The Gurbani stresses that Amrit Vela is the best time for remembering Him and and His greatness and contemplation. In Gurbani Early Hours are significant as the mind is at rest and can reflect upon the HIM and His creativity and creative potency. Guru Nanak Dev ji has also stated to this effect in Jap ji sahib:

AMimRq vylw scu nwau vifAweI vIcwru ]
[In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.]

Devotion and Love for Lord

The service has to be carried out in such a manner that there is an element of devotion and love of Lord. The devotion and love for Lord are the two main attributes that are essential ingredients for having the fear of God. All the three elements like the devotion, love and Fear of Lord go side by side. We all have dispositions and hence these factors will grow up with time as per the nature and the experience that they want to have during service and contemplation. The creator is all Love. He gives all that we need.

Service and devotion Leads to Realization of ‘Naam’

I would not state much in this regard as Gurbani itself states as follows.Why should now I think of ‘incomprehensible ‘Naam’ when an alternate route to the same is available. For most of us the route available to us is the guidance provided by Dhan sriguru Granth sahib ji.

gurbwxI hir AlKu lKwieAw ]1] (366-12, Awsw, mÚ 4)
Through Gurbani, the Incomprehensible Lord is comprehended. ||1||

One need not get upsets if the devotional aspect is not present in the beginning. By constant practice and contemplation of the words of Gurbani one gets with the devotional aspect of service. The lord Himself blesses the aspirant with such a devotion.

Bgiq Kjwnw Awpy dIAw kwlu kMtku mwir smwxy rwm ] (769-3, sUhI, mÚ 3)
[He Himself blesses them with the treasure of devotion; conquering the thorny pain of death, they merge in the Lord]
kwlu kMtku mwir smwxy hir min Bwxy nwmu inDwnu scu pwieAw ] (769-3, sUhI, mÚ 3)
[Conquering the thorny pain of death, they merge in the Lord; they are pleasing to the Lord's Mind, and they obtain the true treasure of the Naam]

One can obtain the precious gift through devotion and service as well that is enshrined as an important principle as per the bani. The followings are also taken from bani to show as to how powerful and potent is the bani itself that teaches us about the realisation of Naam.

gur kI bwxI nwim vjwey ] (362-11, Awsw, mÚ 3)
[Through the Word of the Guru's Bani, the Naam resounds]

inrml bwxI inj Gir vwsw ] (362-18, Awsw, mÚ 3)
[Through the Immaculate Bani of the Word, the mortal dwells within the home of his own inner self.]

It is through the Gurbani that one is able to attain the peace and retain one’s mind in self and at the feet of the Almighty. It is with HIS grace that one can overcome ego and Haume through constant practice of the ’sabad’ of Guru or Gurubani. Guru Bani is, in itself , a powerful tool to obtain the Brahmgyan and knowledge of the creator. Understanding the creator and creativity ultimately lead to the self realization and God realization. It is my firm faith the realization of the self and God is possible through constant recitation/reading and contemplation of the bani. The bani will leave an impression on the mind and the same will be at peace with self over a period of time. One’s thoughts and deeds will be governed by the Bani. It is through the constant practice of Bani that one’s mind come to rest and is at peace with self.[4]

E &OE
to be contd.

[1] Para00 of the post III-1, I have now stopped thinking in terms of Naam. I have been greatly benefited by the advice of Japjisahib04 ji who advised me sincerely to practice ‘waheguru’. I shall be ever grateful for such an advice.

[2] ] (2-7, jpu, mÚ 1)

[3] ‘Sabad’ here has been used to represent literally the ‘sabad’ as is understood in the context of ‘sabad –keertan’.

[4] In the end it is stated that ‘naam’ is the name of the lord and the lord Himself. Whether we do the service of the Lord or the naam would be inconsequential. After contemplating on this during the past two days I have reached this conclusion.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany

Please come to know true Naam Simran. Your understanding, explanation and writings will not be the same.

The experience of Truth is exactly as the true Gurus have explained it. It is not as many interpret it.

Balbir Singh

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Dear Balbir ji,
Believe me,I am very small person. I do not know many things that you speak of.I do appreciate the pain that you feel for me. Kindly let us know as to what is resulting in pain to you that you are not able to sit in piece for a minute.
Das

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Balbir Singh ji Sat Sri Akal!!

Please do not leave the SaaDhoo who preaches Naam. A true SaaDhoo will be happy and ready with your blessed time without delay.
A fake will find many reasons to send one away.

The true source of water does not send anyone away without drinking.

Thanks for your post!

I m not sure whether I have met one in my life so the question of leaving does not seems relevant
may i havent been that fortunate

Jatinder Singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany

Quote "Kindly let us know as to what is resulting in pain to you that you are not able to sit in piece for a minute."
It is your wrong interpretation.

Quote "After listening to Gyani Maskeen ji today morning, it became apparent that Gurmukhs who have realized HIM would only be few [1]."
Story tellers and preachers always wish that people refer them this way. Is the above explanation from the true Guru or Gyani Maskeen Jee? Should Sikhs now listen to Gyani Maskin Jee's tapes to experience Truth?

Quote "‘Naam’ is the creative potency and, probably, there is none on earth who can describe as what ‘Naam’ is and how much potent it is."
All grapes of True Naam are sweet, also those that the fox does not get with efforts.
Enlightened persons are singing today also Naam's potent.
One does not imitate anyone after he participates once in the Naam Chorus with the true Guru.

Quote "To some extent we can serve Him through singing His praises through ‘sabads [3]’ or more clearly ‘sabad keertan’or By contemplating on HIS teachings."
I could not find it where the true Gurus have said so. Please provide one reference from Gurdev that explains 'sayvi-aa' is singing His Praises through 'Sabad Keertan'.

Quote "The Gurbani stresses that Amrit Vela is the best time for remembering Him and and His greatness and contemplation. In Gurbani Early Hours are significant as the mind is at rest and can reflect upon the HIM and His creativity and creative potency."
Please provide one reference from Gurdev that states Amrit Velaa is early hours. I will be grateful.

Quote "The devotion and love for Lord are the two main attributes that are essential ingredients for having the fear of God."
This shows that your mind understands something else than that the true Guru sings. Please confirm your views referring the Guru's Vaak and oblige.

Quote "All the three elements like the devotion, love and Fear of Lord go side by side. "
No where in Gurbaanee I have found this combination.

Quote "Why should now I think of ‘incomprehensible ‘Naam’ when an alternate route to the same is available."
It is some big baqwaas. It is totally opposite of that all what Gurdev is singing.

Quote "One need not get upsets if the devotional aspect is not present in the beginning. By constant practice and contemplation of the words of Gurbani one gets with the devotional aspect of service."
Surely your guru is your mind.
The true Naam works and gives results from the very moment one receives it. True Gurus never say that the result of true Naam is somewhere in the future.

Quote "One can obtain the precious gift through devotion and service as well that is enshrined as an important principle as per the bani."
Devotion and service are the results of true Naam Simran, not the prerequisites. I am not sure if one can find a reference from Gurbaanee for that.

The person who has eaten the mango once cannot express its taste sometimes real and mostly fake.
Even a dumb person can express the sweet taste of the mango truly through his mimics.

Balbir Singh

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
III-3

Bani and service to lord

Bgiq BMfwr gurbwxI lwl (376-14]
[Gurbani is the jewel, the treasure of devotion.]

Bgiq BMfwr gurbwxI lwl ] (376-14]
[Gurbani is the jewel, the treasure of devotion.]
gwvq sunq kmwvq inhwl ]2] (376-15,]
[Singing, hearing and acting upon it, one is enraptured.]

and

ijs no ndir kry soeI jnu pwey gur kw sbdu sm@wly ] (797-]
[That humble being, who is blessed by the Lord's Glance of Grace obtains Him, and contemplates the Word of the Guru's Shabad.]

Naam: A Tribute

· Such is the Name of the Immaculate, Divine Lord.I am just a beggar; You are invisible and unknowable.Love of Maya is like a cursed woman, ugly, dirty and promiscuous.Power and beauty are false, and last for only a few days.
· But when one is blessed with the Naam, the darkness within is illuminated.
· All teachings, instructions and understandings are Yours; the mansions and sanctuaries are Yours as well. One whose father is known, cannot be illegitimate.
· One who belongs to the One Lord, has no fear.

Complete Surrender to The Creator: Ordained By Bani

One who belongs to the creator and tries to identify with Him should have no fear. The major cause of our worries and tensions are on account of the fact that we think that we are the doer while it may not be the case in reality. We are just not able to take HIM with us. We do not surrender to HIM. Somewhere deep within me still remains the element of ‘self’ that does not permit complete surrender. It is the way I feel. However, with constant practice one can attain that state of affairs where one feels that HE is the Doer and one is only a watcher.

krqw kry krwvY soie ]3] (796-3, ]
[The Creator acts, and causes all to act. ]

pRB kI AwigAw mwin suKu pwieAw Brmu ADyrw lhI ]1] (529-16]
[Surrendering to the Will of God, I attain peace, and the darkness of doubt is dispelled.]

I am reminded of Hindu’s very popular Aarti :
‘Om jai jagdish hare…………………………………………..

Gurbani also has the following ‘tuk’ that is in essence, the same as is contained in the ‘Aarti’. Everything is given by HIM, Himself so what can we offer Him from our side.

mnu qnu Dnu sBu pRBU kyrw ikAw ko pUj cVwvey ] (542-8]
[The mind, body and all wealth belong to God; so what can anyone offer to Him in worship?]

The sense of surrender is attained by offering HIM everything that we have both in wordly ways and all that stuff that we carry in our top storey called the grey matter including the mind that is also made of five 'tatts'. The following line sums up the position as follows:

smrQ AgQ Apwr pUrn jIau qnu Dnu qum@ mnw ] (543-11]
[Almighty, sublime, infinite, perfect Lord - my soul, body, wealth and mind are Yours.]

God Himself created the world, and He himself takes care of it. Without the God's Fear, doubt is not dispelled, and love for His Name is not embraced. Through the Satguru, the Fear of God wells up , and the Door of Salvation is realized. Through the God"s Fear, natural state of Being is realized. It is through the God's Fear, reflecting on the Guru's Teachings that this terrifying world-ocean is crossed over. Through the God's Fear, the Fearless Lord is realized; He is Limitless. The self-willed Manmukhs do not appreciate the value of the God's Fear, and burning in desire, they weep and wail...(sggs 1288).

Control Of Mind: Possible through Bani

One who accepts the wisdom of the Guru's Teachings, is absorbed into the Lord. Control of the mind is the most difficult thing to practice. Mind has been stated as a wild animal in drunken state,.it keeps on moving from place to place by being in ‘furkay’ [Beechar] of various kinds. The uncontrolled mind is the biggest hurdle in the path of the seeker. However through the Bani the mind comes to a state of calmness and peace and it gets imbued in ‘simran’.Simran is the state of mind when it is in peace and is engaged in the contemplation of the creator. As He cause us to move, so do we move according to the Pleasure of His Will.

gur bcnI mnu shj iDAwny ] (796-5,]
[Through the Word of the Guru's Teachings, the mind intuitively meditates on the Lord.]

Once mind is under control one can surrender to the Almighty for HIS own benefit. When the He is pleased and appeased, one is absorbed in the Lord's Name. One who is blessed by the Lord's Mercy remains focused on the Lord's meditation.

Gurbani Leads to Shabad Realisation

And Imbued with the Lord's Love, the mind is satisfied. It is true that we cannot live without the Architect of our Destiny. But it is through the constant practice and contemplation of the Gurbani that we are able to realize the ‘shabad’

hir ibnu ikau rhIAY gur sbid pCwny ]1] (796-6,]
[Without the Lord, how can anyone survive? Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, He is realized.]

gurmiq hir rsu pweIAY hoir iqAwghu inhPl kwmw (799-7]
[Under Guru's Instructions, obtain the sublime, subtle essence of the Lord; renounce other fruitless actions.]

15.1 Realisation Of Naam through Keertan

The following line of Gurbani speaks for itself. The significance of bani can be realized when the full implications of this line are taken into consideration. Keeratn is another way of service of the master. Guru Sahibs have made it clear that through devotional worship and by generationg love and fear of the Creator one can reach the stage of the realization of Naam.

krxI kIriq nwmu vsweI ] (363-3,]
Singing the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises, the Naam abides within the mind.

Control Of Mind:Evil-mindedness and Gurbani

Gurbani has touched this aspect at various places. One has to be of pure mind to seek His shelter. There are many aspects of Human nature that do not qualify for the good conduct. Unless and until the mind is washed of the filth the surrender is not possible. He Himself leads the mortals to focus on Him, and He Himself causes them to chase after Maya.He Himself imparts understanding, and He reveals Himself.He Himself is the True Guru, and He Himself is the Word of the Shabad. According to sikhism Such is His play, One and Only Lord is contained among all. To the devotee the Word of the Guru's Shabad appears very sweet. And his thirst is quenched, and mind and body find peace.

Sikhism is a religion and Religion is a faith. Religion is above the trap –game of semantics. Religion does not require intellectualization. It is the individual action that would ultimately govern whether what has been done would fall under the category of good or not good [let’s call it evil]. The answer is straight- forward. God will like us happy with ultimate goal that we all merge into HIM after the passage of time and on doing some acts. HE has given us intellect to differentiate between good and evil and to refrain from doing that is not good. It is how we use this intellect. Thus evil is the creation of the man and the self and none else. Further it is to noted that Religion is above all the logics and science. Science begins observations and ends with ‘hence proved’. This is not workable in Religion. We do not adopt some magic formula of ‘hence proved’ while studying/practice religion. For the Sikhs the writs as Given in SGGS ji are above all. There cannot be two opinions. There are some references that I quote as per my limited exposure to Gurbani. The following are the references that are given in sequence of their appearance in the HOLY Granth Sahib that may be helpful for clarifying the matters to some extent.

Consequences Of evil-mindedness

It is our own evil actions that keep us separate from HIM and we need not accuse any one else.[ Page 136, Line 17Guru Arjan Dev ]

The evil-minded ones forget the Naam, and then depart.[ Guru Nanak Dev Page 152, Line 11]

The evil-minded are consigned to separation from the Lord[Guru Ram Das-Page 306, Line 5]

Evil-mindedness disappears, and his ego is subdued, when one meditates in remembrance on the Name of the Lord.[Guru Arjan Dev] Those who speak and listen to the Lord's Name, all find peace. Those who believe in it, obtain the supreme treasure. One can refer to the relevant lines of Dhan Sri Guru Granth ji Maharaj. The Gurmukhs are imbued with the love of the Word of the Shabad.They abide in the home of their own being, singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. The Shabad deep within the nucleus of the self dispels the darkness of ignorance. To the devotee the Word of the Guru's Shabad appears very sweet. And his thirst is quenched, and mind and body find peace. As per gurbani those who Vibrate upon the Lord, the filth of their evil-mindedness is washed away. Those who meditate on the Lord obtain the fruits of their rewards, and the bonds of Maya are all broken.

Other mentions and cures for evil-mindedness

pUjhu gur ky pYr durmiq jwie jir ] (519-12,]
[Worship the Feet of the Guru, and your evil-mindedness shall be burnt away.]

Love of Lord’s name–Evil-mindedness is washed

ijau ijau qyrw hukmu iqvY iqau hovxw ] (523-4]
[As is the Hukam of Your Command, so do things happen]

jh jh rKih Awip qh jwie KVovxw ] (523-4,]
[Wherever You keep me, there I go and stand.]

nwm qyrY kY rMig durmiq Dovxw ] (523-5,]
[With the Love of Your Name, I wash away my evil-mindedness]

By love of lord Egotism is removed.

khq nwnku scy isau pRIiq lwey cUkY min AiBmwnw ] (798-1,]
[Says Nanak, loving the True Lord, the mind's egotism and self-conceit is eradicated.]

khq suxq sBy suK pwvih mwnq pwih inDwnw ]4]4] (798-1, ]
[Those who speak and listen to the Lord's Name, all find peace. Those who believe in it, obtain the supreme treasure.]

Reference in Gurbani to Door Of Salvation

nwnk mukiq duAwrw Aiq nIkw nwn@w hoie su jwie ]
haumY mnu AsQUlu hY ikau kir ivcu dy jwie ]
siqgur imilAY haumY geI joiq rhI sB Awie ]
iehu jIau sdw mukqu hY shjy rihAw smwie[1]
Third Mehl:

O Nanak, the gate of liberation is very narrow; only the very tiny can pass through. Through egotism, the mind has become bloated. How can it pass through? Meeting the True Guru, egotism departs, and one is filled with the Divine Light. Then, this soul is liberated forever, and it remains absorbed in celestial bliss.[2]

Concept Of Guru In Sikhism

In Sikhism the term 'Guru' is not used for a teacher or a guide or an expert or even a human body. The word Guru is composed of two terms.

GU- means darkness and
RU- means Light.

For Sikhs, Guru is the Light that dispels all darkness. It is called JOT (Divine Light). Guru Nanak, the founder Guru of Sikhism was regarded as the embodiment of Divine Light.

The Guru in Sikhism is a perfect Prophet or Messenger of God in whom the Light of God shines fully, visibly and completely. Guru is in union with Divine. Thus he ushers the devotees, the seekers of Truth into a spiritual birth. Through him the Glory of the Lord is transmitted to humanity. On account of his Divine prerogatives, the Guru, though human in form, is Divine in Spirit.

God is in the Guru and Guru is in God. Though God is everywhere and in everybody but His traits are illuminated through the Guru. The Jot (Divine Light) that enshrined Guru Nanak's body and the Primal Jot of God are, therefore, one and the same.

The guruship and the Jot has been passed from Guru Nanak, the founding Guru of Sikhism, to the Sikh scripture, Grandh Sahib. When Guru Nanak conferred Guruship on Guru Angad, the JOT was passed on and Guru Angad too became the embodiment of Divine Light. In the same way all the nine Gurus were the embodiments of Guru Nanak Jot. The tenth Master, Guru Gobind Singh then conferred the Guruship on Guru Granth Sahib (Holy Scripture of Sikhs). As a result, Guru Nanak JOT is, enshrined and preserved in Guru Granth Sahib which became the embodiment of Divine Light. It is the Living Guru for ever[3].

Nutshell

In nutshell, It is our own evil actions that keep us separate from HIM and we need not accuse any one else what to say of God. The evil-minded ones forget the ‘Naam’ or ‘Naam Simran[4]’ of the same, and then depart. The evil-minded are consigned to separation from the Lord. However, the evil- mindedness disappears, and ego is subdued, when one meditates in remembrance on the Name of the Lord and may reach the door of salvation as well that has been briefly discussed at para.10 above. One is required to be a constant visitor to the Bani so that the fickleness of the mind is erased and one can attune oneself with ‘Naam’ in Simran and meditation. The reading and recitation of the bani plays a major role in self-purification and the realization of the self. The Lord's Name abides deep within the nucleus of one who realizes the Bani of the Guru's Word within his soul. Now, this is the essence of the teachings of the four ages: for the human race, the Name of the One Lord is the greatest treasure. Celibacy, self-discipline and pilgrimages were the essence of Dharma in those past ages; but in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Praise of the Lord's Name is the essence of Dharma. [p.797] Those who are attached to HIM are saved, like iron which is carried across with wood.

[1]This Shabad is by Guru Amar Daas Ji in Raag Gujri on Pannaa 509

[2]http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?SourceID=G&PageNo=&ShabadID=1887&Format=2

[3]http://www.1stholistic.com/Prayer/hol_sikh-history.htm#ConceptofGuru

[4] I would prefer to use the term Name-simran, however, due to conventional usage Naam simran is being used.

E & OE.
to be contd................

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Bani leading to Liberation

III-4

Salvation: need of leading Honest and Pious life

In order to attain salvation one must live a honest life and meditate on God and should be contended with life and with all that one receives.

jo dyie shxw mnih khxw AwiK nwhI vwvxw ] (566-7]
[Be satisfied with what God gives you; tell your mind not to complain uselessly.]

haumY bUJY qw dru sUJY ] (466-15]
[When one understands ego, then the Lord's gate is known.]

Attaining Salvation: Sikhi ways

Sikhism shows the way to attain salvation and become One with God. Sikhism instructs that we do not have to fast, abstain, go on renunciation or enter a monastery in order to meet God. Mortals have wandered lost and confused through countless lifetimes and yet they have not overcome the fear of death. Nanak says, tell your conscience, reciting the name of Lord, and you shall merge in the fearless Lord. All mortals in this whole world roam around like beggar; Lord is the giver of all. Nanak says, by reciting Him in the heart, all work comes to completeness. The ones who always long happiness should start reciting the name of Lord. Tell you tongue to recite the Name of Lord and tell your ears to hear the Name of Lord. Says Nanak, tell your conscience if you do so, you shall not be caught in the cycle of birth and death ever.

Whenever a mortals who recites the name of Lord loses strength and is caught in worldly means and cannot do anything at all to save himself. He then asks God for help, God helps him with the strength which is greatest of all. Then he regains his strength and is able to do forsake this world. He knows that the almighty God is with him. Nanak says, everything is in the hand of God; He is the greatest savior and protector. Nanak has enshrine the Name of Lord in his heart and he says there is nothing else equivalent to it. Its His Name by reciting all the troubles disappear and Lord Himself come in appearance.

Human life most precious Gift Of Lord

The human life is precious and is obtained as a reward of the precious and valuable Karmas of earlier incarnations.The present life is not to be wasted on account of lack of the wisdom or be sheer giving away to the senses and the sensual pleasures. The guru Sahibaans have laid stressed upon acquiring spritual wisdom. It is also a must for the seeker. Without spritual wisdom the progress of seeker is quite slow.

dulB jnmu puMn Pl pwieE ibrQw jwq AibbykY ] (658-8,]
[I obtained this precious human life as a reward for my past actions, but without discriminating wisdom, it is wasted in vain.]

Nanak says, human body is hard to attain, do not waste it. Mortals have numerous friends in good time and none in bad. Nanak says, tell your conscience to recite the Name of Lord, and He shall be your companion in the end (at the time of death).

God has given you body, wealth, peace, and house to live. Nanak says, why don’t you recite the name of Lord? Lord is the only giver of peace and happiness, and there is none else. God is the savior of sinners. He is the destroyer of fear, eradicator of evil-mindedness and the protector of every orphan. Nanak says, He always resides near you, make an attempt to know Him. Immerse your mind in Him, just like the fish in the water and you shall not be caught in the cycle of birth and death again. Always recite the One, by reciting whom you attain salvation. And salvation is attained only by reciting the name of God. Your dignity lies in merging in the one whom you originated from. Nanak says, tell your conscience to recite the name of Lord, and you shall be able to meet Him.

Spritual wisdom and significance in Realisation of Lord

The significance of the knowledge has been mentioned at more than one place in the Granth sahib ji.

ividAw vIcwrI qW praupkwrI ] (356-14]

[Contemplate and reflect upon knowledge, and you will become a benefactor to others.]

Awqmu cIin@ prm suKu pwieAw ]4]15] (375-3,]
[Realizing his own self, he has obtained supreme peace.]

Awpu pCwxih sbid mrih mnhu qij ivkwr ] (430-5]
[He understands his own self, and dies in the Word of the Shabad; he banishes corruption from his mind.]

Guru sahibans have laid the significance of self- realization that has been stated in most of the religions and philosophies as ‘know thyself’. Gurbani puts lot of significance on this aspect of knowledge. As we tend to understand ourselves in relationship with the other elements of creation we gradually develop an understanding of Prakarti [nature] and Purusha [spirit].

Let us see the following quote that states to this effect. Gurbani places emphasis on the spritual wisdom and understanding. The following line places an emphasis on the need of understanding and the knowledge.

bnu bUJy vfw Pyru pieAw iPir AwvY jweI ](]511-14,
[Without understanding, one must wander around the cycle of reincarnation, and continue coming and going.]

The real cause of delusion is on account of the entanglements caused by excessive indulgence in Maya that creates ‘trishna’ that leads to desires and the same has to be overcome. It is to be noted that as per Sikhism this ‘Maya’ is also the creation of the Almighty. It has been nicely states as follows in Gurbani.

mhw mohnI mgn ipRA pRIiq pRwn ] (380-7,]
[The mortal is intoxicated with the great enticement of Maya, which is dearer to him than life.]

At other places it has been stated that it is necessary to control the mind so that the knowledge can be realized. Mind and its control has been taken as quite serious as unless and until the mind is purified it shall not be possible to achieve the understanding of the divine. The intellect can understand the world of the three modes.

iehu mnu mugDu khhu ikau rhsI ] (415-9[]
[Tell me, how can this stupid mind be rescued?]

ibnu smJy jm kw duKu shsI ] (415-9[]
[Without understanding, it shall suffer the pains of death.]

Overcoming Self conceit and egotism

One is required to over come self-conceit and egotism. This is one of the most important aspects of the self- control. For a person of ordinary intellect it is very difficult to overcome the ‘haume’/’self conceit’ so as to achieve the purification of mind. It is only after one has overcome the ego that one starts understanding. It is also possible that one can attain the liberation by meeting the lord as well after ‘Haume’ is overcome.

Awpu gieAw soJI peI gur sbdI mylw ]1] (421-12]
[When self-conceit is eradicated, and understanding is obtained, one meets the Lord, through the Word of the Guru's Shabad.]

igAwn Apwru sIgwru hY soBwvMqI nwir ] (426-13]
[Spiritual wisdom is the incomparable decoration of the happy soul-bride.]

Rising to the level of Equipoise

The one who is not affected by happiness, pain, greed, emotional attachment and egotistical pride. The one who is beyond praise and slander, and treats iron and gold alike. The one who is not touched by pain or pleasure, and treats his friends and enemies alike. The one who does not terrorize anyone and neither is afraid of anybody. The one who leaves all the materialistic things, renounces wealth and have detached himself from this world. The one who recites the name of God day and night, Nanak says, that person is the one who knows what is salvation, that person becomes spiritually aware, that is the person whose future is bright and that person becomes the image of Lord. The truth is that by become the image of Lord it means that there remains no difference between God and that individual. Just like a drop of water merges in the ocean.

Realising that the world is temporary phenomeneon

Consider this world just like a dream. Nothing here is true besides God. Says Nanak, tell conscience that all mortals are created in this world just like ripples on the water, who comes in existence and fade away all the time. Nanak says, nothing in this world is ours.

WE should be worried if death was to wipe only you. But this is the condition everyone in this whole world has to face, no one is stable here. The one who has taken birth has to die, everyone has to perish. The world and its affairs are totally fake, be aware of this my friend. Just like a sand castle, this world will not last long. This world is like a dream, nothing lasts forever here. Baba Nanak ji says, this is the time to sing praises of Lord and give up all entanglements. Nanak says, stable is the worshipper of God, enshrine this in your mind. Stable is the Name of Lord and stable is Lord. Says Nanak, rare are ones who have enchanted the praises of Lord.

Estimating the value of service to Lord

In sikh scriptures the service to the Lord and devotional wprship has been emphasised . Even the guru’ sabad admits that the value of devotional service cannot be estimated even though one’s primary duty is to have faith, recite the Name of God and remember Him/Lord/Creator/Primal for every possible moment.

kvnu jwnY pRB qum@rI syvw ] (805-8]
[Who can know the value of serving You, God?]

eyks ibnu nwhI ko dUjw ] (805-10, [
[There is no other than the One Lord.]

qum@ hI jwnhu ApnI pUjw ]2] (805-10]
[You alone know Your worship and adoration.]

Detachment from the world :emphasised

Guru Ji themselves got married and lived a family life and showed everyone that you can meet God while living a family life. Furthermore, Guru Ji said that your mind has to be detached from this world, you have to look this world as a temporary place, you will not be here forever, one day you will have to die and nothing here appears to be of permanent nature.

AY jI ikAw mwgau ikCu rhY n dIsY iesu jg mih AwieAw jweI ] (504-17,]
[O Dear One, what should I ask of You? Nothing appears permanent; whoever comes into this world shall depart.]

What we do while we are alive is critical, so we have to make our decisions wisely. Furthermore, we do not have to detach ourself from this world physically, oneyou can lead a normal family life and still be able to meet God[1].

E&OE
To be contd……..

[1]The life to lead in order to attain salvation is clearly explained by Ninth Guru, Guru Teg Bahadur Ji in his sloks (name of a part of scripture). It is translated and summarized as follows:

Mortals are attached to this fake world and are not detached from it even for a moment. Your wealth, your spouse and everything you posses, which you think as of your own, Nanak says, the truth is that none of them shall go along with you at the time of your death. Mortal view this world as his own, but nothing here belongs to him. Mortal’s consciousness dwindles all the time because of money and among millions is one, who actually remembers God. Mortal have not enchanted the praises of Lord and have wasted all of his life. Mortals do not remember the name of Lord, and are completely drenched in money. All naïve and foolish mortals are worried about money. Nanak says, without reciting the name of Lord, this life is useless. Without reciting the name of Lord, you shall be caught in the cycle of birth and death again. For the one who does not recite the name of Lord, the use of his body is no greater than that of any animal that walks on this earth. Nanak says, everything is useless without reciting the name of Lord.[ Please refer:http://www.realsikhism.com/faq/salvation.html ]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Part III-5

Gurubani and Naam

Gurbani and Meaning thereof

Gurbani: Sikh scripture; ordained by the Guru.

Gur means Guru and bani means speech. Therefore Gurbani means the speech of the Gurus. The Sikh Gurus wrote their teachings in the Sikh scripture, the Guru Granth Sahib. This compilation of writing is called Gurbani. Gurbani must be treated with great respect.

The following ‘Shabad’ is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 189. The ‘shabad’ shows the significance and the importance that Sikhs give to the “naam’that is bestowed by Himself. As stated in the ‘shabad’ only those with perfect destiny are blessed with this Nectar.

gauVI mhlw 5 ]
nwmu Bgq kY pRwn ADwru ]
nwmo Dnu nwmo ibauhwru ]1]
nwm vfweI jnu soBw pwey ]
kir ikrpw ijsu Awip idvwey ]1] rhwau ]
nwmu Bgq kY suK AsQwnu ]
nwm rqu so Bgqu prvwnu ]2]
hir kw nwmu jn kau DwrY ]
swis swis jnu nwmu smwrY ]3]
khu nwnk ijsu pUrw Bwgu ]
nwm sMig qw kw mnu lwgu ]4]49]118]
The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the Support of the breath of life of His devotees.
The Naam is their wealth, the Naam is their occupation. ||1||
By the greatness of the Naam, His humble servants are blessed with glory.
The Lord Himself bestows it, in His Mercy. ||1||Pause||
The Naam is the home of peace of His devotees.
Attuned to the Naam, His devotees are approved. ||2||
The Name of the Lord is the support of His humble servants.
With each and every breath, they remember the Naam. ||3||
Says Nanak, those who have perfect destiny
- their minds are attached to the Naam. ||4||49||118||

‘Shabad’ and ‘Guru’

Shabad is a hymn of the Guru Granth Sahib or other Sikh scriptures.

The word shabad is generally used to denote any single hymn from the Guru Granth Sahib or more abstractly the command of God. Shabads are sung in the Gurdwara and in holy congregations to praise God. In this context it would be relevant to examine the meaning or the word ‘Guru’and

Guru is A spiritual leader for Sikhs.
As already discussed the word Guru is combination of two small words Gu and Ru. Gu means Darkness and Ru means Light. Literally translated, Guru means “The Light that dispels darkness”. The Guru is a highly spiritual teacher who has been sent to Earth by God to enlighten people. The Guru is in direct communion with God and it is through the Guru, that Sikhs come to know about God. There are a total of 10 living Sikh Gurus, who brought knowledge of God to the people. The Sikh Gurus provided guidance for about 240 years. They taught the basic values of freedom, brotherhood, charity, obedience, understanding, sympathy, patience, humility, simplicity, piety, and outlined the path to spirituality in life. The eternal Guruship (spiritual and temporal authority) in the Sikh faith lye in the Guru Granth Sahib (the Sikh Holy Scripture) and the Guru Panth (the association /commonwealth of Sikhs). It is from the Guru Granth Sahib that Sikhs receive guidance for life.[1]

Sabad Guru

The hymns that were recorded and were put into the SGGS ji constitute the most important part of the scriptures. Its place amongst the Sikhs is that Of Guru. The concept of Guruship in Human form came to an end after the tenth Guru Sahib. The Bani i.e the recorded hymns/teachings as compiled and put in the SGGS ji is termed as the ‘sabad guru’.i.e the Guru in the form of words as the Bani is in written forms. The bani is stated to be God him self in the form of ‘sabad’. It is clarified at this point that we are using ‘sabad’ and ‘word’ in the context of the followings:

• Sabad as the hymns/teachings as contained in the SGGS ji.
  • Sabad in the form of ‘Sabad guru’ i.e. reflecting the Bani in generic form. The Guru’s sabad would imply the teachings of the Gurus’
  • The ‘sabad’ is also used in the context of the divine word. It is also referred to as equivalent to ‘Naam’. This ’sabad’ has some element of divinity attached to it. The meaning beocmes clear once we go through the Bani and infer/deduce the meaning of ‘sabad’ as appearing in the context.

Sabad-Guru and Relevant ‘Tuks’ about Bani

Sing the praises of the Guru or Lord-Bani

eyko riv rihAw Gt AMqir muiK bolhu gur AMimRq bYnw ]1] rhwau ] (366-12]
[The One Lord is pervading and permeating deep within the heart; with your mouth, recite the Ambrosial Hymns of the Guru. ||1||Pause||]

In the present context the ‘Guru’ would stand for the creator or the primal being. The Sikhs put lot of importance to remembering Him and thanking HIM for all that He has given the mankind/mortals. The utterance of Gurbani is also one one of the nucleus concept of the Sikhs. The keetan of the ‘sabad’ of Bani sung in the praise of the Lord has been stated as the support of the life of a devotee.

hir kIrqnu AwDwru inhclu eyhu Dnuo ]2] (398-14,]
[The Kirtan of the Lord's Praise is my Support; this wealth is everlasting.]

Difference between ‘Name of Lord’ and ‘Naam’

In the similar context the ‘Name of the Lord’ is also deemed as the support of the devotees. The kertan sung in the praise of lord and the eulogizing of the name of the Lord are both the support of the devotees. Thus doing the regular ‘paath’ of the ‘bani’ or remembering and eulogizing Him will bring equivalent results so far as the seeker /devotee is concerned. He would be equally benefited as per the faith that is placed on the Bani or the Name of the Lord.

hir nwmu slwhin sdw sdw vKru hir nwmu ADwru ] (28-14,]

[They praise the Name of the Lord forever and ever. The Name of the Lord is their Merchandise and Support.]

It is again to be recapitulated that ‘Name of lord’ and ‘Naam’ are two entities that look similar but have totally different connotations and quite different meaning assigned to them. The name of the lord can be Rama, Satnaam , Ek-ongkar and ‘waheguru’. Most of us do practice ‘waheguru’ though. This is not a generalization. One can select the name of the lord that one likes. On the other hand ‘naam’ for Sikhs has divinity attached to it. The translators have used the words like ‘nectar’ and ‘amrit’ for the ‘Naam’.

31. His Grace and Naam

Naam’ is the representation of the creative power of the Almighty. He bestows this on His devotees on whom He castes His glance of Mercy or in other words the devotee has to become a subject of His grace. No one can claim it for a right. Once this precious gift is obtained or realized by the devotee there remains little to be achieved. Naam is said to be the causes of all causes and all potent that is as unfathomable as the Lord Hmself. Anything that has some element of Him has to be like Him. ‘Naam’ is thus the link, between His sargun form and the Nirgun form. Naam is the joint beween the explict and all that is implicit. It joins the ‘Aakar’ and the ‘Niraakar’. One may visualize this in some other format so that both the express and the implied format i.e. ‘Nature’ and ‘Purusha’ can be related to. Naam can again be said to be the explicit form, in its small way, of the implicit/Nirakaar form of the almighty.It is subtler that our senses cannot reach it.

32. No documentation of the recipients Of Naam

It can be said with cent percent degree of confidence that it is not on record as to how many people have been blessed with ‘Naam’. The various qualities of ‘naam’ are presented in the ‘shabad’ under the para. 26 above. It is again to remind the readers that it is impossible to explain as to what ‘Naam’ is. None except He Himself can be capable of this. Sikhs are blessed with the ‘sabad guru’ which is the seat of the teachings of all the Saints and Gurus. Sikhs can hope for the liberation and emanicipation through the teachings of the Sri Guru Granth sahib ji Maharaj. No living Guru/saint/Sadhoo can help any one. One has to place total reliance on the Guru [sabad-guru] which will guide the us/aspirants to come across the means to reach that stage of purity and self-control that he can become the entitled recipient of this ‘nectar’ with His grace. One cannot even suggest methods and means of recordings as to how to document this incidence. It is beyond comprehension of the author. May be it can be done but I know not how.

inrmolku hIrw imlY n aupwieAw ] (801-12,]
[This priceless jewel is not obtained by any efforts.]

33 Explanation as to why Naam is difficult to achieve

Some happenings of the nature can be repeated and some experiences and happenings of nature cannot be repeated in any manner unless one receive guidance. The experience of being graced with ‘Naam’ may fall in this category. Some Great souls have attained that level of spirituality to become eligible for the grace to receive the ‘nectar’. But the experience of one cannot be repeated unless the giver of ‘nectar’/’source of nectar’ so decides/selects. The religion is not a perfect model of any structured science. Hence it is not possible to repeat the experience of attaining ‘Naam’ with whatever accuracy and precision one may try to narrate it for the benefit of those others who are interested. ‘Naam’ is or would be unique experience the description of which may be impossible. Many theologians might have speculated over this aspect. However, it is an impossible task for any individual. Only His grace is the only ready made answer.

Naam is inside Body
hau iPrau audwsI mY ieku rqnu dswieAw ] (801-11,]
[I wander around, sad and depressed, seeking the jewel of the One Lord.]
and
hir kw mMdru iqsu mih lwlu ] (801-12, ]
[That jewel is within the body, the Temple of the Lord]

In the end it is to state that the importance given to bani is no less. As per Dhan Sri Guru Granth sahib ji:

ijnw gurbwxI min BweIAw AMimRiq Cik Cky ] (449-14]

[Those whose minds are pleased with the Word of the Guru's Bani, drink in the Ambrosial Nectar again and again.]

It is after getting necessary guidance and following the various edicts contained therein that one can seek the Grace of the Almighty for special favours. Anyone who does not follow the rules laid down in Bani in spirit and practice can think of the proximity to ‘naam’ or otherwise. The strict compliance of the norms set out in Bani would be a pre-requisite for the attainment of the nectar else we shall all get the benefit of Naam-simran that we are carrying out.

E&OE
To be contd………………..Bani and significance

[1] Gurdwara: Sikh place of worship; house of God.: The Gurdwara is a Sikh place of worship. Gurdwara is a compound word created by combining Gur for Guru and Dwara meaning door or house. Thus the word Gurdwara means the door or house of the Guru. The Guru Granth Sahib is always present at a Gurdwara as well as a Nishan Sahib (the Sikh flag - orange in color with the Sikh insignia - the Khanda).

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
III-6

[35-40]
Bani and liberation

Bani and Imporatnce to the Route Of Liberation

Continuing with para 29 [this is reproduced for the sake of continuity] it is to show that Guru Sahibs have put great support on the Bani as well. It is not to state that it is equivalent to anything else.Gurbani has its own inherent power or the intrinsic power.
Sing the praises of the Guru or Lord-Bani

eyko riv rihAw Gt AMqir muiK bolhu gur AMimRq bYnw ]1] rhwau ] (366-12]

[The One Lord is pervading and permeating deep within the heart; with your mouth, recite the Ambrosial Hymns of the Guru. ||1||Pause||]

In the present context the ‘Guru’ would stand for the creator or the primal being. The Sikhs put lot of importance to remembering Him and thanking HIM for all that He has given the mankind/mortals. The utterance of Gurbani is also one one of the nucleus concept of the Sikhs. The keetan of the ‘sabad’ of Bani sung in the praise of the Lord has been stated as the support of the life of a devotee.

hir kIrqnu AwDwru inhclu eyhu Dnuo ]2] (398-14,]
[The Kirtan of the Lord's Praise is my Support; this wealth is everlasting.]

How to Locate Him in our own self: Guide as per SGGS ji

The following are the important Compositions of Sri Guru Amar Das Jee, teaching us how union with God is attained while living in this world in our own house in the normal way. God’s Light abides in us all, is called Guru Jot or Sat Guru Poora, or SABDA; which has all the Qualities of Absolute God and is also our Guide or Teacher. Those who are Blessed by God to live with Him abidng in them, attain every thing; Naam[1] and ultimate Union with Him. GOD ALONE IS THE BESTOWER OF NAAM TO THE DEVOTEE, NONE ELSE. The claims of both old and modern fake gurus, sants, prophets, Avtars, etc. are thus repudiated.

The Guru also teaches us that God alone is the DOER who is the creator and none else; whom He blesses he finds Him abiding within him, live with Him, love Him and attain guidance and unon with Him. Those, who are not blessed by Him, they are enticed with the material allurements of the world, they lose the GEM within them and go after petty worldly comforts, and degenerates themselves. Although God is Formless, it is He Who makes the devotees realize His presence within themselves and everywhere. Also those unfortunate seekers who search Him outside from within themselves are like the deer, who has the musk within him, but aimlessly wanders from place to place in search of the Musk.

Let us read carefully the following Composition - “The love of Maya is enticing; without teeth, it has eaten up the world. The self-willed manmukhs are eaten away, while the Gurmukhs (who live with God abiding in them) are saved; they focus their consciousness on the True Name. Without the Name, the world wanders around insane; the Gurmukhs come to see this. Involved in worldly affairs, the one led by the waves of his Mind, wastes his life in vain; the peace-giving Lord does not come to abide in his mind. O Nanak, they alone obtain Naam (love of God), who have such pre-ordained destiny. 1

M.3: The home within all is filled with Ambrosial Nectar, but the self-willed manmukh does not get to taste it. He is like the deer, who does not recognize its own musk-scent; it wanders around, deluded by doubt. The manmukh forsakes the Ambrosial Nectar within him, and instead gathers poison; the Creator Himself has fooled him. How rare are the Gurmukhs, who obtain this understanding; they behold the Lord God within themselves. Their minds and bodies are cooled and soothed, and their tongues enjoy the sublime taste of the Lord. Through the Lord abiding in us in the Form of SABDA, the Naam (love of Lord) wells up; and it through the Lord abiding in us in the Form of SABDA, we are united with the SUPREME LORD. Without love of the SABDA, the whole world is insane, and it loses its life in vain. The Lord abiding in us in the Form of SABDA alone is Ambrosial Nectar; O Nanak, the Gurmukhs obtain it. 2

Pauree

The Lord God is inaccessible; tell me, how can we find Him? He has no form or feature, and He cannot be seen; tell me, how can we meditate on Him? The Lord is formless, immaculate and inaccessible; which of His Virtues should we speak of and sing? They alone walk on the Lord's Path, whom the Lord Himself instructs. The Perfect Guru (The Lord abiding in us) has revealed Him to me; loving Him, He is found. 4”

Slok M.3. Maya mumta mohni jin vin dunta jag khaya. Mumukh khadai gurmukh obrai jin sach naam chit laya. Bin navai jug kamla phire gurmukh nadir aaya. Dhunda kartia nehphal janam gavariya such data mun na vasaya. Nanak Naam tina ko milya jin ko dhur likh paeiya. (1)

M.3. ghar hi meh amrit bharpoor hai munmukha sadd na paiya. Join kastoori mirag na janai bharmda bharam bholaya. Amrit tuj bikh sungreh katai aap khoaiya. Gurmukh virlai sojhi paei tin aundar braham dikhaya. Tun mun seetal hoeiya rasna har sad aaiya. Sadai hi nao opjai sadai mail milaya. Bin sadai sabh jug bohrana birtha janam gavaiya. Amrit eiko sabad hai Nanak gurmukh paiya. (2)
Pauri . so har purkh agam hai koho kit bidh paeiye. Tis roop na raikh aadirist koho jun kio dhiaaeiye. Nirankar niranjan har agam kia keh gun gaeiye. Jis aap bojhaey aap so har marag paeiye. Gur poore vakhaliya gur seva paeiye. (4)
(Slok M.3, Sorath ki Var, pages 643 –44[2])

37. Sikhism the Religion Created by God

The Sikh Gurus were in direct communion with God and narrated only God’s Word. Guru Nanak Dev Ji writes,

When I speak, I speak as You make me speak” (Guru Granth Sahib, 565).

Furthermore, the fourth Guru, Guru Ram Das Ji writes, “O God, O Creator, Lord and Master of the devotee Nanak, as You wish, so do I speak” (Guru Granth Sahib, 800).

In addition, “O Sikhs of Guru, know that the Word of the True Guru is true, absolutely true. The Creator Lord Himself causes the Guru to chant it” (Guru Granth Sahib, 308).

Everything Sikh Gurus said was instructed to them by God.

Guru Arjun Dev Ji (the fifth Guru) writes, “What can I say? I don't know what to say. Whatever pleases God, so do I speak” (Guru Granth Sahib, 1202).

In addition, “The Word of the Guru has been emanated from God. It eradicates all anxiety” (Guru Granth Sahib, 627).[3]

Before the coming of the Gurus, India was filled with discrimination due to a very strong belief in the caste system. Most people believed in making pilgrimages, black magic and other such superstitions. Essentially people had forgotten God. God sent the Sikh Gurus in this world in order to enlighten people and showed them the path to salvation and eternal bliss.

38 Final testimony: By Dashmesh Pita ji,

The tenth Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji writes, “I did not wanted to come in this world. My mind was immersed in God. Then somehow God explained me His purpose and sent me to this world with His directive. Then God said, ‘I establish thee as my son, You are to create a religion. Go and create a religion and stop people from doing unrighteousness and evil actions.’ I stood up, with my palms joined and bowing my head to God and said, ‘I will only be able to create a religion when You help me.’ This is the reason God send me in this world and I was born in this world. I speak as God told me. I have no enmity with anyone. Those who call me God, will fall into the pit of hell. Consider me as a humble servant of God and have no doubt about it. I am a servant of the Supreme Being and have come to witness His worldly play. I have come in this world for this purpose. God sent me for the purpose of religion. Wherever you will spread this religion, evil and wicked will be eliminated. I have taken birth for this purpose. Let the holy men understand this well. I have come to spread the divine religion, protection of the devotees of God and the annihilation (elimination) of all evils.(Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Vachitar Natak).

39. Bani the Creation of the Blessed ones’

Hence Guru Gobind Singh Ji completed the purpose for which he and the nine Gurus before Him were sent: by creating the Sikh religion. God’s purpose of enlightening people was started by sending Guru Nanak Dev Ji in this world, carried on by sending the next eight Gurus and completed by sending Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Hence Sikhism is a religion created by God through the Sikh Gurus[4]. There is hardly any point of disagreement on this.

It is thus to re-emphasize that Gurbani is the creation of the creator or the creation of those personalities who were in direct communion with the Creator. The produce of the representatives [if I may use this expression] of the creator is likely to be as precious like any other gift of the lord. The bani is, therefore, holier than any other thing of the creator. The ‘sabad guru’ is hence, rightly treated as the living guru by the Sikhs. It is God in itself. Anything stated in it is truth and hence the we all bow to it and seek all that we require to.

The recitation of the Bani would bring forth all the fruits and rewards as is done by practicing the Truth. I do not know the ‘sabad’, I do not know ‘Naam’ but I know where to access Bani and how to meet HIM. It is for me know and for you now to select that suits. Recitation of the bani and putting it into practice is of immense importance to the Sikhs or, in fact, anyone who seeks HIM. It is a divinity and all divine. I do not know ‘Nam –Simran’ as I am not sure if I am doing Naam simran or ‘Name Simran’.

But I know that bani is holy and I would be benefited to by practicing the same.

And that

But I know that I am reciting that is holy and the taste of it on the tongue is like a spicy flavor of the sound current [Sggs ji], hence we should:

Love Gurbani

gur kI bwxI isau rMgu lwie ] (387-13, Awsw, mÚ 5)
[Embrace love for the Word of the Guru's Bani.]

May He bless us all with the precious jewel but till then let us be happy with the Bani and its Teachings………………………………………………..Amen

And

jnu nwnku boly gux bwxI gurbwxI hir nwim smwieAw ]4]5] (494-5, gUjrI, mÚ 4)

[Servant Nanak chants the Glorious Words of the Guru's Bani; through them, one is absorbed into the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||4||5||]

[1] Some commentators have used Naam as a ‘Love for the Lord’ as well.

[2] Source: Internet, I do not have the site to quote. But anyone who is interested can easily ‘google out’.

[3] There would be differences in the English Translations but the pith and the substance would be the same.I am not reproducing the concerned ‘tuk’s from Guru Granth sahib ji.

[4]Adopted from : http://www.realsikhism.com/faq/creation.html

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Part VII-42-50

Bani and Liberation

Miss Pearl S. Buck, a Nobellaureate, gives the following comment on receiving the First English translation of the Guru Granth Sahib:
.... I have studied the scriptures of the great religions, but I do not find elsewhere the same power of appeal to the heart and mind as I find here in these volumes. They are compact in spite of their length, and are a revelation of the vast reach of the human heart, varying from the most noble concept of God, to the recognition and indeed the insistence upon the practical needs of the human body. There is something strangely modern about these scriptures and this puzzles me until I learned that they are in fact comparatively modern, compiled as late as the 16th century, when explorers were beginning to discover that the globe upon which we all live is a single entity divided only by arbitrary lines of our own making. Perhaps this sense of unity is the source of power I find in these volumes. They speak to a person of any religion or of none. They speak for the human heart and the searching mind. ...

He cannot be obtained by any effort[1] .If the Lord grants His Grace, and then we come to meet the True Guru. His Kindness unites us united in His Union.

Guru’s Teachings Lead to Naam

The Divine name is identitical with God; that is to say, there is not the least difference between God and His name.Considering the time of human life as invaluable and transitory, one should make use of it performing the very best deeds and should not waste even a single moment. If for reason even a moment is wasted without remembrance of God either through bani or through meditation and remembrance of God one should repent for it severly so that such an error does not occur else it can be summed up that the man has not realised the worth of time that we have been alloted for a specific purpose.Thinking of the Almighty in mind, recitingHIs holy name through speech and rendering through the body disinterested service to the world, treating all manifestations of God -this is the best form of action. Even in dialy life the sabad keeratn and meditation should be given primary importance and the worldly transactions should be secondary.One should get up early in the morning and in case it is not done one should make a rule to observe some kind of an act wherein he is reminded of this ,say, one should observe a fast for few hours and get engaged in Ajapa jap.

gur swKI imitAw AMiDAwrw ] (126-10]
[Through the Guru's Teachings, the darkness of spiritual ignorance is dispelled.]

Through Gurus Teachings that are contained in the Scriptures one can rise to the level of attaining Naam that is stated to be the supreme spiritual status. Bani is the teachings of our Guru Sahiban. Sri Guru Granth sahib ji Maharaj is the source of these teachings besides other scripture that are generally not mentioned but a reference to them is made either directly or indirectly.

There are certain ‘tuks’ that we do not understand and the interpretation of the lines is almost impossible for person of my intellect. At many places, in posts, I have asked for the clarification from the sangat. If anyone feels to share as to that can be shared it would be the privilege of the author and for the benefit of the sangat. One of the sentence/’tuk’ of similar status is as follows:

gurmiq nwmu AMimRq jlu pwieAw Agin buJI gur sbid buJeIAw ]4] (834-18,]

[Following the Guru's Teachings, I have obtained the Ambrosial Water of the Naam, and the fire has been put out. The Word of the Guru's Shabad has put it out. ||4||]

The essence of the above line is clear but the verbatim meaning, as given, is not clear. There seems to be duplication in the translation .It is not amplified as the translation and its defect are self-evident. There is overlap of the translated lines. Both the lines refer to expression ‘put out’. It could have been at one place and should have been used only in a single sentence. One can see meaning from other work of translation and give the feed back that may be necessary. However, The point is clear that ‘Bani’ leads to the ‘Naam’ as well and hence its significance of bani/Gurmat in our daily life cannot be undermined for obvious reasons that is not discussed. The Word of the Guru’s Shabad breaks the bonds of the three-phased Maya. Through the Guru's Shabad, liberation is achieved[2].

One has to follow the teachings of the Guru with extreme love and caution else it would be of no avail to know the things only. It would only be a piece of knowledge if that is ordained is not put to practice. One is required to put these into practice else every effort shall be futile.

khY pRBu Avru Avru ikCu kIjY sBu bwid sIgwru Pokt PokteIAw ] (836-10]
[If God says one thing, and the soul-bride does something else, then all her decorations are useless and false.]

In order to make spiritual discipline practiced in seclusion more valuable, one may resort to the practice of Meditation, Chanting, singing of hymns of praise and recitation of sacred texts of scriptures. This should be characterized by reverence and devotion and should not be carried out in a disinterested manner. One should have full involvement while doing Nit nem and in any case the same should not be treated as mechanical compliances. Considering any duty as cumbersome and burden is not to make that activity beneficial. The same action if done delightfully or with devotion and dedication is an act of high order.

Welling Up of Love for God.

The SGGS ji informs the follower: "Pilgrimages, fasts, purification and self-discipline are of no use, nor are rituals, religious ceremonies or empty worship. O Nanak, emancipation comes only by loving devotional worship; through duality, people are engrossed in duality. ||2||" [SGGS jipage 75][3]

It is through constant recitation and contemplation of the Guru’s teachings and sabad that one starts understanding the Creator /creativity and to some extent oneself. Knowing one self is also one of the important aspects in the process of the realization of the God and liberation. The highest effort in the form of observance of duties is a vital means to realization.

AMqir ipAws auTI pRB kyrI suix gur bcn min qIr lgeIAw] (835-19]
[The thirst for God has welled up deep within me; hearing the Word of the Guru's Teachings, my mind is pierced by His arrow.]

One should also make efforts to accomplish supremely good deeds as quickly as possible as there is no certainity when the encaged soul may fly away and the body may fall. The development of love of God may be on account of many factors. It may on account of understanding HIS magnanimity and His creative powers and other attributes that are beautifully described. It is through this contemplation that one comes to know of His greatness as to how this creation is being run. In the end it can be stated that whatever efforts that one may put in, the basic fact remains that the fructification of all this is dependent upon HIS grace. We are just the follow that we are told to follow, rest is His pleasure. And we have no choice as well.

ikAw hm jIA jMq bycwry brin n swkh eyk romweI ] (822-11]
[What am I? Just a poor living being. I cannot even describe one of Your hairs, O Lord.]

Having this attitude and love for the God it is natural that the devotion to the Almighty springs up within us. Let us also remember that It is Guru’s teachings that we merge with HIM as and when it pleases HIM. A mortal cannot do much about this. It is his duty to carry out his duty and put no claim to the fruits. Unadulterated love for God is the most secret thing. Nothing could be greater than this.

hir Awpy myly syv krwey ] (126-14,]
[The Lord Himself leads us to merge with Him and serve Him.]
scw nwmu sdw hY inrmlu gur sbdI mMin vswvixAw ]1] rhwau ] (126-16]
[The True Name is eternally pure and immaculate. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, it is enshrined within the mind. ||1||Pause||]

Devotional worship : A Treasure of Past karmas

rqn pdwrQ gurmiq pwvY swgr Bgiq BMfwr Kul@eIAw ] (834-5]
[The treasure of jewels is found in the ocean of the Guru's Teachings. The treasure of devotional worship is opened to me.]

The development of the attitude of love and devotion is also HIS gift. Without His blessings it is not possible for a man to develop a sense of devotion toward the creator. The man is lost in this worldly jungle of hopes and desires [Trishna] created by Maya [illusion] and entire life is wasted by most of us. These kinds of indications are provided in the Granth sahib ji at more than one place. The devotional worship is stated to be a treasure in the above line. The development of the devotional worship for the Lord is the direct result of the past deeds and karmas. Without this package of past karmas to one’s account the development of the devotional worship is not possible. And anything done without devotion would tantamount to mere karma –kaand and meaningless rituals. ‘Bani’ has at many places stated to this aspect. It is important to understand this aspect of the service of the lord.

Devotional worship and Liberation

The devotional worship has been discussed at many places and in many contexts. The Gurbani instructs us that it is through the Devotional worship that one may find emancipation.

hir kI Bgiq mukiq Awnµdu ] (154-15]
[Through devotional worship of the Lord, liberation and bliss are obtained.]

Thus development of love and reverence toward ‘bani’ will give rise to the ‘Fear God’ that has also been stated to be an essential ingredient for liberation. It may be noted that Guru Bani tells us clearly that through the love of worship one can attain the supreme bliss as stated below:

Bgiq Bgiq krqy hir pwieAw jw hir hir hir hir nwim smeIAw ]7] (837-5]
[Worshipping, worshipping Him with devotion, I found the Lord, and then I merged into the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, Har, Har. ||7|]|

There is no peace without devotional worship of the Lord. As many breaths and morsels as one takes, O my mind - so many times, one should sing His Glorious Praises.[sggs ji]

Without devotional worship of the Lord, where can anyone find stability? People wander around endlessly. The supreme state of bliss is attainable while alive by being immersed in the devotional worship of the lord. This state is like to be liberated in the life itself. If the liberation is divided into two classes i.e. liberation in the present life and the liberation from the cycle of incarnation and re incarnations one would definitely like to be liberated while alive.

gurmuiK Bgiq prwpiq hovY jIviqAw ieau mrIAY ] (245-18]
[The Gurmukh obtains devotional worship of the Lord, and thus remains dead while yet alive.]

The Granth sahib explains as to what is devotional worship.

This is right conduct, and this is the correct lifestyle, to obey the Command of the Lord's Will; this is your devotional worship[4].

Developing devotional worship.

It is being told to us that the devotional worship cannot be developed unless we give up selfishness and conceit. A clean heart is the pre-requisite of the development of this quality. The human body is in the grip of greed and attachment. Without meditating and vibrating upon the Lord, it is reduced to ashes. It is best way to start remembering Him and keeping HIM in the consciousness. One should always depend on God. By doing this there is enhancement in the valuable virtues such as, patience, boldness, serenity fearlessness and self- confidence.

· There is wisdom equal to the knowledge of God.
· There is no glory equal to the glory of God.
· There is no gain equal to God-realization. There is no friend like holy sangat.
· There is no one like God. There cannot be so.

scI Bgiq ivchu Awpu Koie ] (159-3]
[True devotional worship consists of eliminating selfishness and conceit from within.]

It would not be out of context to state that The Lord is under the power of His devotees as well.[5]

pRB Bgq vis dieAwl ] (837-15]
[The Merciful Lord God is under the power of His devotees.]

hir Awpy myly syv krwey ] (126-14, ]
[The Lord Himself leads us to merge with Him and serve Him.]

gur syvw qy hir pweIAY jw kau ndir kryie ] (850-13]
[Serving the Guru, one finds the Lord, when the Lord blesses him with His Glance of Grace]

mwns qy dyvqy Bey scI Bgiq ijsu dyie ] (850-14]
[Human beings become angels, when the Lord blesses them with true devotional worship.]

gurmuiK syvk Bwie hir Dnu imlY iqQhu krmhIx lY n skih hor QY dys idsMqir hir Dnu nwih ]8] (853-1, iblwvlu, mÚ 3)

[Through loving service, the Gurmukhs receive the wealth of the Naam, but the unfortunate ones cannot receive it. This wealth is not found anywhere else, in this country or in any other. ]

pMifq sUr CqRpiq rwjw Bgq brwbir Aauru n koie ] (858-11, iblwvlu, Bgq rivdws jI)
[Among the religious scholars, warriors and kings, there is no other equal to the Lord's devotee.]

pRym Bgiq ijsu Awpy dyie ] (867-10, goNf, mÚ 5)
[One whom the Lord Himself blesses with loving devotional worship]

jg mih ivrly kyeI kyie ]3] (867-11, goNf, mÚ 5)
is very rare in this world.]

In the end it shall be worthwhile to mention that:

Bwie Bgiq pRB kIrqin lwgY ] (869-5, goNf, mÚ 5)
[One who is committed to loving devotional worship of God, and the Kirtan of His Praises,]

jnm jnm kw soieAw jwgY ]3] (869-5, goNf, mÚ 5)
[awakens from the sleep of countless incarnations.]

Guru’s Word : Sound Current Of naad.

Gurbani states that the Guru’s word [the words contained in ‘sabad-guru’] are the sound current of Naad and are full of wisdom. The wisdom has been compared to the spiritual wisdom as is contained in the Vedas that is stated to be the creation of the Creator. The sound current of Naad and similar expression are employed by the translators to convey that one can achieve the Turia state i.e. the state without of the ‘trigunas’. Thus the Guru’s teachings help one attain the opening of the ‘tenth Gate’ and make one nearer to the ‘Naam’.

gurmuiK nwdM gurmuiK vydM gurmuiK rihAw smweI ] (2-8,]
[The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading]

The wisdom of Guru is obtained by practicing the edict contained in the bani. It is for the devotee to interpret the ‘Bani’ with great caution and place a deep respect in the bani.

iKmw sIgwr kry pRB KusIAw min dIpk gur igAwnu bleIAw]
[If the soul-bride adorns herself with compassion and forgiveness, God is pleased, and her mind is illumined with the lamp of the Guru's wisdom.]

Thus the Guru’s teachings/Bani and is constant practice is essential for the devotees. ‘Bani’ is all but the guru’s teachings. It is for the individual aspirant and the devotee to interpret them and try to get the maximum benefit in reaching the goal of the life that is clearly stated in the SGGS ji. The above are the two very specific requirements that is stated for the mortal, it however, does not undermine the presence of other divinely qualities that should be present in the Gurmukhs.

Through Bani: Visualize HIM

scw siqguru scI bwxI ijin scu ivKwilAw soeI ] (769-8, sUhI, mÚ 3)
[True is the True Guru, and True is the Word of His Bani; through it, the True Lord is seen.]

The above ‘tuk’ in essence reflects that anything that is called as the ‘bani’ is true. It is through ‘Bani’ that one is able to see the Lord. Again nothing much is left if one has got the blessings of His darshan. ‘Darshan’ would imply to have a physical glimpse of the Almighty in sargun/nirgun form. This state is generally available to the devotees of very high level of spirituality.

47 Merger: Through Guru’s Teaching

Bani is pure and immaculate and it describes that it through the passage of practicing and contemplating the Guru’s teachings one can merge with HIM and attain all that we seek for that is getting out of the wheels of carnation and re-incarnations.

hir jgjIvnu inrBau dwqw gurmiq shij smwvixAw ]1] rhwau ] (126-4]
[Through the Guru's Teachings, I merge with intuitive ease into the Lord, the Life of the World, the Fearless One, the Great Giver. ||1||Pause||]

48. Bani: His location, presence and Realisation

Bani also tell that He is not anywhere else but is present with in us. It is through the Guru’s sabad i.e. Gurbani or all his teachings one can realize Him subject to HIS grace.

iesu guPw mih ieku Qwnu suhwieAw ] (126-18]
[Within the cave of this body, there is one beautiful place.]

gur kY sbid iehu guPw vIcwry ] (127-1]
[Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, search this cave.]

The Giver of peace is eternally blissful. Through the Guru's Teachings, we are absorbed in intuitive peace.[6] Deep within the our self is the Light of God; It radiates throughout the expanse of His creation[7]. Through the Shabad, the Word of the Perfect Guru, the Lord is realized. Night and day, they perform the Lord's devotional service; day and night, they find intuitive peace.
Without the Word of the Guru's Shabad, no one finds release[8]. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, the Mansion of the Lord's Presence is revealed within the home of one's own heart[9].

Conclusion
To sum up it can be stated that the devotional worship as stated in Gurbani can make one move to the liberation. The devotional worship is one of the method to reach Him subject to the fulfillment of all the other conditions. Needless to state that one should have all the divinely qualities that are stated to be of significance for any aspirant. AS per Hindu philosophy one should not entertain any desire, except for realizing God; as the desire is conducive to rebirth. Hence wish, lust, longing, thirst for some worldly thing i.e. all forms of desire should be given up.Through hypocrisy, devotional worship does not come, and the Supreme Lord God is not found.
Liberated is the man who even while alive treats the body as dead. [Jeevan –Mukt] As there is no relation of the man with the lifeless body similarly a liberated soul has no relation at all with his own body while being alive. He is a liberated soul.Why forsake God, and attach yourself to another? Without the Lord, you cannot even live.The ignorant fool does not feel any shame; the evil man wanders around deluded.God is the Purifier of sinners; if he forsakes God, tell me, where he can find a place of rest?O Nanak, by loving devotional worship of the Merciful Lord, he attains the state of eternal life. Embrace love for the Lord God, and in detachment, unite with Him.Give up your sandalwood oil, expensive clothes, perfumes, tasty flavors and the poison of egotism.Do not waver this way or that, but remain wakeful in the service of the Lord. One who does not serve the True Guru, and who does not love the Word of the Shabad,earns the very painful disease of egotism; he is so very selfish.Acting stubborn-mindedly, he is reincarnated over and over again.The birth of the Gurmukh is fruitful and auspicious. The Lord unites him with Himself. [SGGS ji]Forever and ever, worship and adore Him; this is the most wonderful wisdom[10].

Effect of Devotion and worship

Restraint and Controlloing of senses

[source : Extracts of Commentary on Geeta form site’ unknown’ ]

Devotional worship is also needed for the purpose of controlling the senses.Restraint and prohibition alone cannot subdue the senses. Along with negation of senses there must also be incessant contemplation of the God.
The feeling of attachment still persists in men who have got over their concern with the objects of sense. Desire is born from attachment. And there is anger when there is an obstacle in the way of satisfaction of desire.Confusion and ignorance arise from anger. Distinction between the eternal and the transient is obliterated. Confusion of memory weakens the seeker’s dedication and loss of discrimination makes him deviate from his goal of being one with God.

The worshipper’s mind should rather always be concerned with that-word, form, incarnation, or abode by which his mind may be enabled to be one with God.The mind is drawn to sensual objects when the discipline of worship is relaxed. Thoughts of these objects produce attachment, which in its own turn results in desire for them. Anger is generated if the satisfaction of this desire is obstructed in any way. And ignorance finally undoes the power of discernment. The Way of Selfless Action is also said to be the Way of Knowledge, for it has always to be kept in view that desire must not be allowed to enter the worshipper’s mind. There are, after all, no real fruits of the desires. A man who does not always think of God strays from the right path that will lead him to ultimate bliss and glory. However, there is one consolation. The chain of worship is only broken, not completely destroyed. Once the joy of worship has been experienced, when taken up again, it resumes from the same point at which it was discontinued.

After careful reading of the Holy book one would come across almost similar type of philosophy expressed at various places. I can think of the following lines to this effect:

jb Awsw AMdysw qb hI ikau kir eyku khY ] (877-7, ]
[As long as there is hope, there is anxiety; so how can anyone speak of the One Lord?]

Awsw BIqir rhY inrwsw qau nwnk eyku imlY ]4] (877-7,]
[In the midst of hope, remain untouched by hope; then, O Nanak, you shall meet the One Lord.]

ien ibiD swgru qrIAY ] (877-8,]
[In this way, you shall cross over the world-ocean]

jIviqAw ieau mrIAY ]1] rhwau dUjw ]3] (877-8, ]
[This is the way to remain dead while yet alive. ]

Seek out the Lord God, your only true Friend. He shall dwell in your mind, by great good fortune.

E&OE
To be contd…..

[1] aupwie n ikqI pwieAw jwey ] (127-10,]

[2]iqRibiD bMDn qUtih gur sbdI gur sbdI mukiq krwvixAw ]3] (127-12, mwJ, mÚ 3)

[3] Sikhism other observations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[4]iehI Acwr iehI ibauhwrw AwigAw mwin Bgiq hoie qum@wrI ] (377-18, Awsw, mÚ 5)

[5] SGGS ji.

[6] sdw Anµid rhY suKdwqw gurmiq shij smwvixAw ]2] (126-6, ]
Gr hI mih pRIqmu sdw hY bwlw ] (126-5] [Within the home of the self is the Eternally Young Beloved.]

[7]AMqir joiq prgtu pwswrw ] (126-10,]

[8] ibnu gur sbd n CUtis koie ] (839-4]

[9]gur kY sbid mhlu Gru dIsY ]1] rhwau ] (839-2, iblwvlu, mÚ 1)

[10] sdw sdw AwrwDIAY eyhw miq ivsyK ] (49-12, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)

[11]hir pRBu sjxu loiV lhu min vsY vfBwgu ] (845-3, iblwvlu, mÚ 4)

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
A Guide to Naam - Simran

Simran is the ladder leading to God. It is heard to climb heavenward without Naam. Some masters conceive simran to be the essence of worship. By the study of spiritual books, by hearing the words of pure souls, we are prompted to be at one with God. Through Simran we begin to walk on the path leading to God. Studying the Guide To London, wakes the desire to visit London, but to do so we must leave our home and undertake a voyage. Simran is the souls voyage to the heavens. The divine knowledge that we acquire through Simran, becomes part and parcel of our being. Without Simran, knowledge sharpens our mind and worsens our previous state. There is a world of difference between a hair-splitting philosopher, and those who, through Simran, acquire divine knowledge. The teachings of good souls and the words of Mahapursh in books cannot by themsleves create faith. He alone can have the fortitude to be sawn in half who has firm faith in union with God after death. He alone can mock death, who is at one with the source of life.

Simran washes and purifies the mind and helps it to concentrate. The wondering mind is feeble, the concentrated mind is strong and capable of deep thought. Only Simran provides the most convenient and effective means for concentration.
In the concentrated state of mind, Simran creates a yearning to realise God. Simran, unlike other methods, helps us to be at one with our original self, which automatically results in the dislike for wordly pleasures.
It creates a wondrous ecstasy in the soul, and the greater the ecstasy, the greater the aversion to sensual pleasures.
The concentrated mind tries to know and realise the soul and the Infinate Soul.
Simran saves the mind from wavering. It stabilises its concentration and does not permit its derailment.
Simran tends to keep God’s attributes constantly before us and thus these permeate our being.
Simran lightens and calms the mind
Simran exterminates the illusion of egoism and selfness.
It makes the mind at one with God.
Only Sikhism truly shows the full glory and relevance of Naam Simran as revealed by Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

Gurbani comprises the daily recitation of the prescribed portions of our daily prayers, repetition of a particular verse or verses, and participation in sangat kirtan singing. The average mind wonders and is full of dreams and fantasies. Gurbani transforms and purifies the ideas, and helps us understand the teachings of the Gurus. Thereby, we are led to remember God. Thus when we concentrate on Gurbani our baser thoughts are purified and we are then blessed with heavenly sights, which produce an ecstatic feeling.

To recite the prescribed daily prayers, to resort to a Gurdwara to listen to kirtan, or God’s praises is what devout Sikhs do. But earnest spiritual seekers must practise Naam also. The sacred Word gives us a glimpse of the kingdom of God, of Sachkhand. But though the Sacred Word gives us a vision of the peace and beauty of that realm of the spirit, it is Naam alone that can groom us to take our place in it. Those who seek to dwell in God’s realm, must seek refuge in Naam. To travel over land we require a car or train, but for an aerial journey we need an aircraft. Similarly, in life, we need the assistance of Gurbani and if we wish to soar to the realm of the spirit, we need naam. In its contact with the world, the soul cannot remain unsullied, unless it is inspired by gurbani. But if the soul wishes to fly Godward, it requires the wings of Naam. Initially one must create love for gurbani and step by step, one should start practising Naam alongside it.

In the initial stages we should recite aloud gurbani or else the mind will not be able to concentrate upon it. And as the mind becomes anchored we can read gurbani in an undertone, till eventually we can recite it mentally. This method is suggested by many mahapursh who hold the view that progress in stages helps ultimately to read gurbani in silence, which paves the way for the practise of Naam.

The prescribed daily routine of gurbani recitation should of course be gone through, but devotees should also try to progress with Guru Granth Sahib Ji with intelligent care. We cannot grasp the core of Guru Ji without two or three carefull readings from end to end. In Guru Granth Sahib Ji there is light for every spiritual stage, and if we only try, we can find usefull paths suited to our individual needs. If we study Guru Ji thus, we are guided by them at each step, as a living teacher guides our footsteps. At first one is astonished at the close inter-connection between the soul and Guru Granth Sahib Ji, which seem to answer your problems as they arise.

If we go repeating a verse, its sense becomes rooted in our mind, the mind is moulded accordingly, and when it is thus moulded, it is bound to assume the corresponding form is due course.

Many intelligent people labour under a delusion about Naam. They do not understand the scientific truth underlying it, and in a way they are justified in their scepticism, for it is impossible to realise the potency of Naam without actually practising it. How can we know the taste of something that we have never tasted? The best way to thoroughly understand the philosophy of Naam............................. is to practise it.

Another problem about Naam is that the initial stages are so difficult and puzzling that few people take to it, but we must bear in mind that diamonds are found in hard rocks, and pearls in the mouths of oysters.

As soon as the name of any object is mentioned, its form, attributes, nature and our reaction to it rush into our minds. Name a friend and you have before your minds eye his form, nature and all the memories associated with him Similarly, if we repeat God’s Name, His attributes, as conceived by us, can be visualised. Through the study of gurbani and by listening to the discourses of holy men, we form some sort of mental picture of God. As we repeat God’s Name, this picture grows clearer to us. Even if we have no mental concept of God, by repetition of His Name, His attributes are realised, and so we go on doing so, His attributes are slowly assimilated by us. It is a peculiar quality of our mind that if something impresses us profoundly, and if we aspire to be shaped in the same pattern, we are gradually moulded accordingly.

Guru Ji says “You are moulded in the form of what you adore”

The edifice of Naam has been raised on this natural trait of the mind. In the hottest weather, if we visualise snow capped mountains and we concentrate on this mental vision – cold blasts or air, people shivering – we shall in time begin to fell cold ourselves, or at any rate the intensity of the heat will diminish. Through repetition of God’s Name, we begin to be moulded in His pattern and we begin to assimilate His virtues.

Naam is essential if the mind is to remain in repose. Naam is a sort of train, aeroplane or ladder leading to God. It is the key that unlocks the gate to Heaven. Adoration begins with Naam and Naam leads to perfection. Guru Granth Sahib Ji uses the word Naam many times. Naam has been used for simran and also for the spiritual stages resulting from it. There, Naam signifies the realisation of the end as also the means adopted. Just as when we see a magnificent palace, we might remark “How great is the power of money,” similarly, the blissful condition produced by Naam is also called Naam.

Naam can be practised at any time and anywhere, but, in the initial stages it would be prudent to practise in a secluded place with a peaceful and tranquil mind. Beautiful surroundings – a river bank, the foot of a hill, a garden – are conductive to turning thoughts towards God. If such natural surroundings are not available we might resort to a special room reserved for simran. After some time we will associate the room with reverence and devotion. It is a place of pilgrimage where one can wash away the dirt of the mind and imbibe a fresh spiritual impulse. Incense, flowers and perfumes induce a spiritual urge and aura. When we have made sufficient progress in the realm of Simran, it is immaterial where we turn to God.

Amritwella period of the early morning is believed to be the best time for Naam. During these hours there is perfect silence and calm in nature and the attuned mind is in raptures in His unity effortlessly and without disturbance. This period is also called the Brahm hour or heavenly time. When we have sufficiently advanced in simran, we become accustomed to it at all hours and no rigid schedule is necessary. In the last stage, simran is life and life is simran. A break in simran, as Guru Gobind Singh Ji has said is tantamount to the agony of dwelling near the hole of a cobra.

In the initial stages we would do well to practise Naam seated. In seclusion one should squat cross legged on the floor in an erect position even if it is slightly inconvenient at first. To avoid fatigue a cushion may be used to sit upon. When practising simran we must observe the golden rule of alert concentration on God. When the spiritual seeker has mastered the preliminary steps he will find that when his mind descends from a higher spiritual plane and he is again conscious of the world around and of his physical frame, he will find it easier to control his body and mind if he is sitting upright.

When beginning the practise of simran, we should do well to think of Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s ideal personality.

In the initial stage of simran we should practise by uttering the Divine Name aloud. If this fails to result in mental concentration we might resort to the beads of the rosary. Subdued utterance of the Divine Name and listening to its sound helps us concentrate. At first the mind does wander and concentration is difficult to attain. In this tug-of-war, irrelevant thoughts are bound to occur but one need not despair, as Guru Arjun Dev Ji says “There is no escape except through Simran.” We may select any of God’s names according to our creed or faith because all names are sacred. Personally I would use the word “Waheguru” for simran and recommend it to all Sikhs. All other names, Ram, Raheem, Allay, Madho symbolise a particular attribute of God and when a spiritual seeker grows conscious both of the immanence and glory of God he would not like to call God by a name that is indicative of only one attribute. It would be like referring to the ocean as a cup or bowl, it would diminish the area of one who is meditating on the All-Pervasive.

The great poet/author of Suraj Parkash Bhai Santokh Singh and many other writers expound the meaning of the word “Waheguru.” Bhai Gurdas Ji says that Guru Nanak Dev Ji originally recited the word of “Waheguru”.

Waheguru sach manater sunia….. 1st Var of Bhai Gurdas Ji.
Waheguru gur mantar hai jap hauimai koi …. 13th Var.

In the preliminary stages many seekers of the truth, while resorting to the simran of “Waheguru” fix their mind on Guru Nanak Dev Ji or Guru Gobind Singh Ji but they have to face a great difficulty in the final stages. One may have a picture of Guru Nanak Dev Ji before your eyes while doing simran, at first this device proves useful in promoting concentration. As one progresses one may visualise the picture scintillating with sparks of light as if Guru Ji were present in the flesh, and your joy knows no bounds. Whenever you choose you get a glimpse of Guru Ji.

When the state develops further it becomes hard to contemplate God in His transcendence, while our union with Him is the climax of spiritual growth. When one now tries to concentrate on the formless one, there rises before you a picture of Guru Ji, and it is only with great effort, greater then the effort to bring a picture of the Guru in the mind, to break this habit. It is therefore essential to reflect on the Formless God from the very outset, else difficulties arise. The concentration and meditation should therefore be only on the Guru’s shahad and the seeker should dwell on His Name by process of meditation.

Second Stage.

Repetition on the Name at times leads to automatic mental simran: the lips cease to move and yet mental simran progresses. This induces mental peace and joy. As we grow spiritually mental simran will always progress unceasingly. The physical aspect of simran ends and mental repetition continues day by day. The external attractions and distractions begin to drop while mental harmony with Him begins. All the powers of the mind, which were diffused in external objects begin to be concentrated through sweet soft mental sinran. The seeker perceives a flood of mental peace through his whole body; the mind is at rest, the lips are motionless and yet mental simran continues.
Those who are regular in the recitation of gurbani especially as a mental process taste this joy now and then. But it is far more useful and methodical to get to the stage of mental simran through the repetition of Naam. Some seekers deeply preplexed in this stage – they could recite gurbani mentally, but when they begin Naam-simran they can only continue for a short period. At this stage if we accustom ourselves to the practise of Simran with our every breath it brings much joy. As we intake we mentally utter “Wah” and when we exhale we utter “Guru.” The lips do not move, this is mental simran and we practise Naam with our every breath, this is the second stage.
The Third Stage.

Mental Simran promotes concentration and the gentle sound the mental Simran creates within our being becomes more audable. The sounds of the external world are drowned in the sound of Simran within. We hear nothing but the music of Simran within. The music is pitched at such a high key that even when travelling on a train moving at high speed, for the person practising mental Simran the rattle of the wheels is inaudible.

The spiritual stage gradually continues to such an extent that we consider even the recitation of mental Simran as superfluous. Then the physical process of Simran ceases, but the mind is now in union with God. Now, both the physical and mental state of Simran ceases and the mind is perfectly at rest. This is called SAHEJ stage, whose peace and bliss defy description.

The true joy of Naam is experienced at this stage. The mind is in a state of inebriation and is full of unfathomable bliss, and the joys of the world stand no comparison to it and pale into insignificance. Sant Attar Singh Ji once said “This spiritual stage is superior to the previous stages and the very object of Simran is to attain this state of peace. Let the mind remain in the state of Sahej as long as it will stay there. When it descends take to Simran, and through simran it could regain the same ideal state of Sehaj. In the course of time, the mind will ever abide in the state of ceaseless mental peace and bliss.”

The seeker labours under another illusion. In this spiritual state he fall into a state of “Sukh Nindra” or Sleep of Ease, which the yogis call the sleep of Tandra. In this stage we live as in a sweet dreamless sleep when all thought is absent. But the devotee must beware of this sleep and remain poised in the state of Sahej. This sleep of Ease blocks the way to further spiritual progress, and labouring under a delusion, we fancy that this is the culminating stage of spiritual advancement.

In this state of Sahej the seeker perceives within himself many centres where consciousness could rest in a state of concentration and when him mind is diverted to such centres he feels unfathomable joy. As compared with this supreme bliss the pleasures of the world are nothing. The love and union of a man and woman is supposed to be delightful, but, the seeker finds in Sahej that indescribable unfathomable bliss of exhilaration and invigorating buoyancy that defies description.

There are six centres in the body where consciousness is concentrated; a little below the navel, the heart, the neck, midway between the nose and eyes and the cortex of the brain. When consciousness is concentrated in the cortex of the brain, bliss is unbounded and mind feels the intoxication of joy. The Gurus call this Dasam Duar, or the tenth gate. Impatience to reach this marvellous centre is not desirable. Only the ideal seeker can aspire to reach this centre. When one reaches this centre one derives infinite delight and are averse to returning to our normal waking condition. We enter into a Samadhi or trance like state and some pure souls can shed their mortal frame while in this stage. Those who attain this stage are not much interested in worldly affairs. Descending from this stage one feels like a stranger and perceives that humanity in general is on the wrong track. Some say that householders should not indulge too much in the excess of smadhi for it tends to create too much detachment from worldly affairs and one feels disinclined to throw one’s whole heart into normal matters.

http://www.info-sikh.com/PageNaam1.html

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Naam : Definition thereof and clarifications

Naam Jaap
Naam Japo or Naam Japna - Is the rememberance of God by repeating and focussing the mind on His name. The names given to God primarily refer to the attributes of the Almighty and His various qualities. The guideline in the Rehit Mariyada of Guru Gobind Singh demands that the Sikh engages in Naam Simran as part of his or her everyday routine.

This concept is also permeated in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib as the way in which humans can conquer ego, greed, attachment, anger and lust, together commonly called the Five Evils or Five Thieves and to bring peace and tranquillity into ones mind. The Sikhs practise both the quiet individual recitation of Naam in ones mind and this is commonly called Naam Simran while the loud and communal recitation of Naam is called Naam Jaap. However, this is not a strict definition of these phases and variations are found among the different Sikh communities.

The term Naam refers to the various names given to God as used by the Sikhs. Naam Japo refers to the meditation, vocal singing of Shabads or hymns, from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib or the chanting of the various Names of God, specially the chanting of the word Waheguru, which means Wonderful Lord. Singing of hymns with musical accompaniment is generally referred to as Kirtan.

This act of meditation, singing and chanting is a one of three main pillars of Sikhism and is the term used to refer to this very important activity in the everyday life of a Sikh – the singing, quite meditation, listening of sacred text or sacred words. Critical importance is given to meditation in the SGGS. The other two pillars are Kirat Karni and Wand kay Shako.
Guru Ji says in the SGGS: Read Text in Red
SGGS Page 189
With my hands I do His work; with my tongue I sing His Glorious Praises.
With my feet, I walk on the Path of my Lord and Master. ((1))
It is a good time, when I remember Him in meditation.
Meditating on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, I cross over the terrifying world-ocean. ((1)(Pause))
With your eyes, behold the Blessed Vision of the Saints.
Record the Immortal Lord God within your mind. ((2))
Listen to the Kirtan of His Praises, at the Feet of the Holy.
Your fears of birth and death shall depart. ((3))
Enshrine the Lotus Feet of your Lord and Master within your heart.
Thus this human life, so difficult to obtain, shall be redeemed. ((4)(51)(120))

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Re: Naam : Definition thereof and clarifications

Naam :Definition , I have extracted a definition Of Naam that I consider as most appropriate. Readers may like to share their views on this.

Naam is not mere repetition of God's name. Naam here stands for attribute/s. It is a noun.We find many such forms in Mool Mantra. Naam Simran therefore is to concentrate on attributes of Waheguru and realize his grandeur and mercy.

Source: sikhiwiki

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Part 3-VIIi

Bani and Liberation
The following lines indicate the significance of the gurbani. I am not aware of naam or when will I be blessed with the same. But I am quite sure that I can go to my Guru and have His advice as and when required. I can seek that thru. sabad guru.

I can walk down to gurudwara and participate in the sabad keertan. Gurbani has been called as the store-house of jewels. Infact it has been sated in the Gurbani that one can hear the unstuck sound current .This is the expression that is generally used wherin the 'Dasam Dwar' is deemed to be open or when the spiritual state of the Human being is at peak and one can negotiate the super-soul or the Lord.

The practicising of the bani thus leads to the Lord. Thus besides 'naam simran' the recitation of the Bani also provides a route to the liberation. I need not understand the 'word of sabad' or 'sabad' or the 'akath katha' but by constant practice and company of sabad guru I have my chances of being with HIM . Yes, I shall be blessed as and when the understanding of 'word of sabad' etc. comes to me.

kIrqnu inrmolk hIrw ] (893-19, rwmklI, mÚ 5)
The Kirtan of the Lord's Praise is a priceless diamond.

Awnµd guxI ghIrw ] (893-19, rwmklI, mÚ 5)
It is the ocean of bliss and virtue.

Anhd bwxI pUMjI ] (893-19, rwmklI, mÚ 5)
In the Word of the Guru's Bani is the wealth of the unstruck sound current.

It was the initial proposition that there has to be some alternate route to liberation. In my opinion that the bani and its recitation provides the same.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Guru Tegh Bahadur's Bani: Liberation and spritual reachings
It is generally believed that the bani of the Ninth Guru was incorporated in the Holy volume under the various musical measures at Talwandi Sabo, now called Damdama Sahib, by Guru Gobind Singh when he stayed there for some months, after the battle of Chamkaur, in 1705. But modern research has brought to light some manuscript copies of the Holy volume transcribed much before that. Sardar G.B. Singh, the author of "Puratan Biran" (old volumes) in Punjabi mentions on page 215 that he found in "Dacca Sangat" a "Bir" (volume) which was finished on Aghan Vadi 7 Samvat 1732, 17 days after the martyrdom of Guru Tegh Bahadur at Delhi. Copying must have begun much before that, most probably before the Ninth Guru left Anandpur. This volume contains all the slokas composed when the Guru was imprisoned at Delhi. It is surmised that these slokas were brought to Anandpur along with the head of the Ninth Guru and entered in the "Dacca Sangat" manuscript at the proper place. He also found some copies in which the whole bani of the Ninth Guru is given at the end after adding new blank pages to the Bir.
Professor Gurbachan Singh Talib in his book jointly written with Dr. Fauja Singh of the History Department of the Punjabi University, also gives details of a Bir no. 97 in the Reference Library of the Shiromani Gurudwara Committee, on page 119: "This bears on the Colophon the year 1739 (Bikram Era) which would work out to be 1682 of the Christian Era. This copy purports to be made at Damdama Sahib one of the Gurudwaras at Anandpur Sahib". These facts show that the hymns of the Ninth Guru were circulated among the several sangats much before 1762 AD.
The Sikhs believe that the five successors of Guru Nanak, whose Bani is included in Guru Granth Sahib further clarified and emphasized what the first Guru had taught. Professor S. Radhakrishnan in his book, "Religion and Literature", published by Hind Pocket Books (P) Ltd., Delhi-32, has summarised the teachings of Guru Nanak on several topics in a chapter entitled, "Adi Granth and the Sikh Religion". About Gurbani he says:
"The word of the Guru is the music which the Sikhs hear in their moment of ecstasy; the word of the Guru is the highest scripture. By communion with the Word we attain the vision unattainable"[1] i.e. we realise Him pervading His creation. "Guru Arjan says about the Holy Granth: The Book is the abode of God."[2] The hymns are set in music. We find in the Adi Granth a wide range of mystical emotion, intimate expression of personal realisation of God and rapturous hymns of Divine Love."
When we analyse the teachings of the Ninth Guru we shall find the same teachings, but with emphasis on different aspects suiting the circumstances he found himself.
When Guru Tegh Bahadur assumed the leadership of the Sikh faith, Emperor Aurangzeb reigned in Delhi. As we have previously seen, he had imprisoned and starved his own brothers - Dara Shukoh and Murad - and disgraced his eldest son Muazzam, who afterwards succeeded the throne as Bahadur Shah. On account of his crimes he was heartily disliked even by his own co-religionists. He then sent for his priests and asked them what he was to do to regain the sympathy of Muslims. His counsellors felt that it could be done by converting Hindus to Islam. He should send more money and other prsents to Mecca. All this being done, he was to issue proclamations throughout the empire that the hindus should embrace Islam, and that those who did should receive "jagirs", State service and all immunities granted to royal favourites.
"The experiment of conversion was first tried in Kashmir. There were two reasons for it. In the first place, the Kashmiri pundits were supposed to be educated, and it was thought that if they were converted, the inhabitants of Hindustan would readily follow their example; secondly Peshawar and Kabul, Muslim countries were near, and if the Kashmiris offered any resistance to their conversion, the mohammadans might declare a religious war and over power them. It was also believed by the emperor, without foundation to it, as it afterwards turned out, that the Kashmiris might be tempted by promises of money and government appointments, because the beggary and meanness of the inhabitants of that country was proverbial."[4]
Throughout the teachings of the Ninth Guru, therefore, love of mammon and worldly goods is strongly deprecated, so that for their sake the inhabitants of Hindustan be not tempted to change their religion. If the bulk of the hindu majority changed their religion in fear or greed, there was a great danger of the Sikh minority being persecuted and crushed.
"O Man, hold firmly to this truth in thy mind; The whole world is like a dream and like a dream will soon be no more. A man may elaborately build a wall of sand, but it will not last even for a short while. Similarly transient are pleasures of Maya (mammon) why art thou entangled in them, O ignorant man." (Sorathi 8)
( A God-illuminated person is not one who wisely talks about gnosis, but a person knowing his soul to be immortal). He does not fear anyone nor does he terrorize others. (Sloka 16) Guru Amardas proclaimed: "Man, thou art an image of light, realise thy source." The Ninth Guru emphasized this truth: "Good men, know this body to be mortal. Recognize God that dwells in it alone to be everlasting." (1 Basant)
In Gurbani terms such as "maya" and "prakriti", used in "Sankhya" and "Vedantic" literature have been employed, but their connotation is different. Sankara says maya is neither real nor unreal, it is "anirvachani" i.e. inexpressible in words. It is some power outside Brahmin and when it envelopes Brahmin, it limits Brahmin into "jiva". But in Gurbani, "Maya is a slave of the Lord, it serves those in constant communion with Him".[6] Maya functions to hide the reality. "Maya makes us forget God, creates delusion and makes man love the other."[7] Gurbani does not picture the universe as a creation of Prakriti of Maya. "The world comes into existence by His decree ("Hukam"), but Hukam cannot be described in words. By His decree jivas come into being."[8] Liberation does not come through knowledge, but by the destruction of egoism by being in tune with the Infinite. The jiva does not become brahmin when his ignorance is destroyed. "The rivers and streams fall into the ocean, but do not know its extent."[9]
In the Mul-Mantra i.e. the basic creed of Sikhism, God has been described as "Ajuni", which means that he does not take birth. He is unborn. The Gurus were opposed to the Hindu doctrine of "avtarvaad", but in their hymns you find that they used names for God which the masses used for incarnations of Vishnu, e.g. Rama and Krishna. Guru Arjan in the "Bhairon" measure condemns those who on the birthday of Sri Krishna place the idols in a cradle and sing, lullabies rocking the supposed new-born child to sleep:
"Those who sing lullabies commit a grievous sin. May that mouth burn which says the Lord enters the womb. He is neither born nor does He die; Neither comes He nor goes. The Lord of Nanak pervades everywhere." (4.1)
But in the "majh" he addresses God as 'Murari'. In "Sabad Hazare" of Guru Gobind Singh we find the same. In the 4th Sabad he calls God 'Nilkanth' (a name of Siva), Madho, Murari (the names of Krishna), but in the next sabad in "Kalyan", he says:
"Put your faith only in the Creator and not in His creation. Consider Him to be the Supreme Lord, who is from the beginning, is never born, who is unconquerable and indestructable."
All this implies that having explained to the masses that the Formless one does not come to the world they used all the names that Hindus or Muslims were using to denote the object of their worship.
Another fact that may puzzle some scholars is the use of analogies from the "Pauranic" lore. The stories of the liberation of the Courtesan, of Ajamal, the elephant, the Hunter and Draupadi, the wife of the Pandavas were current among the Hindu masses and the Gurus used these to emphasize the efficacy of the Name. Says Bhai Gurdas:
"If the nurse Putana[10] was saved, it does not mean that poisoning others is a good act. If Ajamal was saved, men should not soil their souls by committing adultry."
And to emphasize this he says:
"If someone in a fall from a date-palm tree did not break his limbs, don't you climb a date-palm tree and let yourself fall in the belief that you too would be unhurt."[11]
Analogy is an illustration, not a logical reasoning. The Gurus used these old stories to emphasize the efficacy of the Name in saving such great sinners and exhorted his listeners to enshrine the Name in their hearts to save themselves.
During the times of the Gurus it was a general custom amongst those who wanted to work for their spiritual progress to retire to the mountains, caves and forests. This practice had continued from the time of the Upanishadas. Swami Vivekanand on page 182 of his english translation of the Yoga of Patanjli, called Raj-Yoga gives the following quotation from Svetasvatra Upanishad:
"In (lonely) places, as mountain caves, where the floor is ever free of pebbles or sand, where there are no disturbing noises, from men or waterfalls, in places helpful to the mind and pleasing to the eyes, yoga is to be practiced (mind is to be joined)." 11.10
When the practice of Hatha-Yoga started then too similar directions were laid down for its practice. In Chapter II, Sloka 12 of "Hathayoga Pradipka" by Sri Atmaram Swami it has been laid down:
"The place where hatha yoga is to be practiced should have the following qualificationsThe practitioner of Hatha yoga should live above in a small "matha" or monastery, situated in a place free from rocks, water and fire, of the extent of the bow's length, in a country where begging is easy and which is ruled over by a virtuous king where there is no disturbance."
Though the social and political conditions in the country underwent great change by the invasion of the foreign hordes and their establishing themselves as the rulers of the country, the yogins went on following the old directions irrespective of the fact that the religion of the invaders who became rulers was opposed to their own. This escapist tendency was harmful for society.
Guru Nanak admonished the Siddhas on the Golden Mountain for this. Says Bhai Gurdas:
"Ths Siddhas asked Nanak how the residents of the plains below fared."
Guru Nanak replied:
"Naths, the moon of truth is invisible in the darkness of falsehood. The ignorant yogins only know how to cover their bodies with ashes everyday. The Siddhas have hidden themselves in the mountains, who will lead the masses to cross the stream of samsara?"
The Gurus, therefore, preached against this tendency. Says the Ninth Guru:
"Why go to search forests (to find Him). He who dwells in all hearts but remains ever pure, pervades thy heart also. Just as fragrance fills the rose and reflection the mirror, the Lord pervades all without a break; search Him inside thee. The Guru hath revealed this knowledge that the Oam pervades inside and outside. Saith Nanak, without knowing thyself the scum of doubt will not be removed."
All schools of Indian philosophy have laid salvation or freedom from transmigration as the goal for the individual, but they differ in the description of this final achievement. The "Nyaya" and "Vaisesika" scholars believe that the soul (atman) is an eternal and all-pervading substance. The qualities of the soul are cognition, desire, aversion, pleasure, pain etc. These cannot belong to any physical substance. So, there must be an immaterial substance called 'soul' of which they are the qualities. The soul is different and distinct from the body. The senses, the mind and the stream of consciousness."with the attainment of liberation through the knowledge of the reality, the soul becomes free from its connection with the body and has no experience of pleasure and pain or consciousness of any kind.
The "sankhya" and the "yoga" schools consider Purusa and Prakriti as two coeval entities. Rishi Patanjli points to a God, but he is not the creator of Purusas (souls) or Prakriti. The nature of the soul is pure consciousness unchanging and abiding. "The bondage of the self is affected by its identification with the 'buddhi' and egoity. And this identification is due to the reflection of the pure spirit in the buddhi and the consequent failure on the part of the spirit to distinguish itself from the former. This non-discrimination results in the identification of the two, which further leads to the identification of the pure selfwith the successive series of the evolutes. It is for this reason that the pure spirit which by its intrinsic nature is free and pure, risen above pain and sin and moral and intellectual defects, comes to feel its subjection to all these limitations.
It is, however, the prescence of pain, which sums up all the limitations and defects, that compels the spirit to think about the means of delivery from its meshes. Hence the necessity of philosophical knowledge. It is the theoretical and practical conviction that the subject as pure spirit is by its very nature free from all contamination of pain and misery that ultimately leads to its emancipation. The emancipation is achieved by the discriminative knowledge that the self is entirely different from the unaffected by the not-self. This, however, is not easy to achieve. The theoretical conviction must mature in direct realization of the truth."[11] The cessation of pain is what a saved soul gains. There is no mention of bliss which the Vedanties assert.
The "Purav Mimansa" deals with Dharma which produces prosperity like heaven. Jainism, Saharswamin and Prabhakra have not spoken of "moksa". Kumarila and Saliknatha and their followers could not ignore it, since the system would not be complete or perfect without it. Kumarila understands it as freedom from rebirth, the cause of pain and suffering. For the past "karman" should be exhausted through experience without any residue to produce a body. The seeker for liberation should not perform any prohibited action or any action for reward, since both these would generate new bondages. He should do both compulsory and conditional ("nitya" and "naimittika") the ommission of which would produce sin and suffering.[12]
What the Vedant philosophy of Samkara says on this subject has already been touched upon briefly. When through knowledge a jivatma realises truth "I am Brahm", the shackles of maya break and it regains the bliss natural to it.
But the conception of the Supreme Reality in Gurbani differs from all Six Schools of Philosophy. The God of Guru Nanak is "Karta Purakhu". Unlike the Purusha of Samkhaya, He is not a mere witness of the show that Prakriti displays. He is both efficient and material cause of the universe, unlike the God of Nyaya and Vaisesaka schools. The Gurus rejected the Karma-kand or the ritual portion of the Vedas which the Purva Mimamsa lays stress on. He is not "Tatastha" like the Brahmin of Samkara. He Himself creates, sustains and destroys the universe. All animate and inanimate substances in the world have been created by Him. So, the jivatma is to realise these facts and try to be in tune with the Infinite. By destroying its egoism it achieves the supreme object of its life.
"By singing His praises thy impurity will be removed and the poison of Haumain (egoism) spread all over will be destroyed."[13]
To the question, "What present should we offer to have a vision of His court? What words should we utter to win His love?", Guru Nanak replies in Pauri iv of Japu:
"Meditation on His name and His glory in the ambrosial hours of the morning. Our actions procure us this vesture (body), but the door of liberation is opened through His grace."
Our meditation should be so intense "That we may realize His prescence everywhere." In Pauri xx of Japu the first Guru proclaims:
"If the hands, feet, or body are covered with dust, they are cleansed by washing them with water. if clothes are made unclean, by use of soap they are washed of impurity. If the buddhi (intellect) is defined by sin, love of the Name will purify it."
In the light of these teachings we shall now analyze the hymns of the Ninth Guru.
"The person who has given up his egoism (haumai) by recognising God as the creator, shall get deliverance; be sure of this truth, O my mind." (Sloka 19)
"Consider the man, who meditates God day and night as His image. Between God and His servant there is no dissimilarity - recognize this to be true." (Sloka 29)
"Sing the praises of God, good men; You have got the priceless human birth: why waste it? Take refuge with God who purifies sinners and the support of the holy. Why forget Him, by whose rememberance the Elephant got rid of his fear." (Gauri 2.5)
But a man cannot serve God and mammon both. Hence the Guru says:
"Give up pride and attachment to mammon, and devote your heart to the worship of God. Saith Nanak, this is the way to salvation - through the teachings of the Guru find it." (Gauri 2.4)
Of the use of mere study of religious books:
Religion is a matter of experience. You have to realise the truth, which the religious scriptures point out.
"Good men, rest comes only when a man seeks and finds the asylum of Hari. The study of Vedas and Puranas should result in the rememberance of God's Name. The person whom greed, delusion, wealth, sense of possession and indulgence in sensual pleasures do not attract and for whom pleasure and pain are alike, is the image of God."
So is he who considers hell and heaven, nectar and poison and gold and copper alike.
"For whom praise and dispraise are the same, and on whom greed and attachment have no effect. Consider him only enlightened whom pain and pleasure do not entrap. Nanal; conside such a person saved." (Gauri 2.7)
For purifying the heart and getting rid of inclinations towards sin, rememberance of the Name is the only remedy. Washing the body in the water of sacred rivers may remove dirt of the body, but such bathing does not remove the foulness of the mind.
"Without the Name of Hari man is subject to sorrows; Without devotion doubt is not removed - the Guru has revealsed this secret. Bathing at sacred places and fasts are of no avail, if one does not take refuge in God. Yoga and sacrifices will bring no reward to him who neglects to praise Him. Forsaking pride and attachment to worldly pleasures, one should sing the praises of God. Says Nanak, the mortal who acts thus will be a jiwan mukta i.e. is saved whilst alive." (Bilawal 2.2)
Without devotion to God life is wasted:
"He who does not devote himself to God, has wasted his life bear this in mind. He who has not his mind under control will not get any reward from pilgrimages and fasts, this truth I proclaim. Just as a stone placed in water is not pierced by it, Regard the man who has no devotion in Him to be hard-hearted in the same way. In this Kali-age liberation is obtained through the Name, the Guru has revealed this secret. Saith Nanak, that man is great who sings the praises of the Lord." (Bilawal 2.3)
Guru Arjan has proclaimed in Sukhmani, Sloka and Pauri I of Ashatpadi ix that the entire character of him who enshrines God's Name in his heart is changed:
"He, who enshrines the Name in his heart see God pervading all beings. Every second he worships the Lord. Nanak, he becomes an Apars (untouched by Maya) and he saves all. Falsehood does not touch his tongue. His heart longs for the vision of the Impeccable. He does not cast an evil eye on the womenfolk of others. He loves the company and service of good men, He has controlled his senses and is free of the five evils. Nanak, amongst millions there is one such apars."
The Ninth Guru in measure Basant says:
"Mother, I have obtained the wealth of the God's Name. My mind is rid of running hither and thither - It has found its rest. Illusion and desire of possession have departed from my body - the pure knowledge of God has dawned. Greed and delusion do not touch me now. I have grasped firmly devotion to God. The doubt about birth and death is no more. Now that I have obtained the jewel of the Name, All desire has been removed from my mind: It is now absorbed in bliss. He alone sings the praises of Hari, on whom the ocean of Grace showers His compassion. Saith Nanak, such wealth is found rarely by some through the Guru's Word." (Basant 3.3)
For purifying the mind in order that it may contain the Name, ethical conduct is indispensable. In the very first hymn of the Gauri, Guru Tegh Bahadur has emphasized this point:
"Good men: discard pride of mind. Flee day and night lust, wrath and the company of evil men. He who regards pleasure and pain, honour and dishonour as alike. And rises above joy and sorrow - Such a one knows the Truth. He renounces praise and obloquy and seeks to achieve the state that is inexpressible. Nanak, this way is hard - Only the rare God-oriented man knows it." (Gauri 2.1)
Again:
"Do not think that the yogi knows the right way in whose mind you see avarice, attachment to wealth and worldly possessions. Rcognise him only as a yogi who engages neither in praise nor in obloquy of others and to whom gold and iron are alike, and who has risen above pleasure and sorrow. Such a man, who has stablized his restless mind that was running in all the ten directions, is to be regarded as emancipated, saith Nanak." (Dhanasari 2.3)
Liberation is attained by him:
"Who in pain is not affected by it, Who has no attachment to pleasure and is fearless, and who thinks of gold as a clod of earth. Neither does he indulge in praise nor cavalling at others. And has no greed, delusion of pride in him. He remains aloof from happiness and sorrow and cares not for honour or dishonour. He gives up all hope and desire, and has no desire. Him lust and wrath do not touch. In the heart of such a man does Brahmin abide. A man who the Master favours follows this way of life and he is absorbed in the Lord, just as water merges into water." (Sorathi 2.11)
Transcience of worldly things must be recognized by a person who seeks spiritual progress. While performing the worldly duties he must not forget his duty to God. Our relationship with wife, children, brothers, sisters, friends and companions ends with death. The Guru reminds us that even our body which accompanied us when we were born, is left behind when we depart. The Guru wants man to ponder upon these truth and not neglect his spiritual life.
"Wake up, O mind, wake up: why dost thou sleep negligently? The body that was born with thee will not accompany thee when thou shalt depart. Mother, father, progeny and other relations, to whom thou remainst attached, Will consign thy body to flames when life departs from it. Know that thy affairs with the world last only as long as thou art alive. At thy death the whole thing will pass off like a dream; so sing the praises of Hari." (Tilang 2.2)
"O mortal, remember Him night and day. Every moment thy life is passing away like water from cracked pitcher. Why dost thou not sing the praises of Hari, thou ignorant fool: Thou hast forgotten death, entangled in false covetousness. Even now if you chant the praises of Hari, nothing is lost. Saith Nanak, by devotion to Hari thou shalt attain the state of fearlessness." (Tilang 2.1)
Every creed has some external forms. "While the meaning is alive in these they are not only harmless but pregnant and life-giving. When we come to think that they possess in themselves material and magical virtues, then the purpose which they serve is to hide God from us and make us practically into aetheists."[14] At the time of the advent of Guru Nanak split-eared yogins who followed Gorakh Nath had a large following among the masses of Punjab. They admitted both Hindus and Muslims to their sect. They laid great stress on outer forms. Guru Nanak in measure Suhi, hymn 7 drew their attention to this aspect of their practice.
"Yoga does not consist in the patched coat nor in the staff and rubbing ashes on the body. Nor does yoga consist in ear-rings nor in close-cropping the hair. It does not consist in sounding the horn. The way to yoga is found when we remain in tune with the Impeccable amidst worldly temptations. Mere talk cannot turn a man into a yogi. He who considers all men equal is alone to be called a yogi."
The Ninth Guru says on this theme:
"Man, thou didst not embrace the teachings of the Guru: of what avail is the shaving of thy head or doning ochre-coloured robes; Thou has forsaken truth and adopted falsehood; thus hast thou lost the goal of life. Thou hast filled thy belly by deceitful methods and slept like a beast. The way to devotion to God thou didst not learn and didst sell thyself to mammon. Thou didst entangle thyself with sensual pleasures and forget the Jewel of the Name. Thou didst remain ignorant and didst not remember God; thy life was wasted. Saith Nanak: Lord! exercise thy own virtue of forgiveness. The mortal always errs." (Sorathi 1.10)
It has been mentioned earlier in this script that in the "Jaijwanti" measure we find only the four hymns of Guru Tegh Bahadur. In these he has emphasized the transitoriness of worldly pleasures and possessions and urges man to devote himself to the Name and thus attain the goal of life. We may in the end reproduce what is stated in these four hymns.
"Remember Rama, remember Him. It will stand thee in good stead. Forsake following the illusion and take shelter with Consider the pleasures of the world transitory; this whole paraphernalia is short-lived. Wealth of which thou art so proud will pass of like a dream; The empire of the whole world is a wall of sand. The servant of God, Nanak says, the body will perish. Moment by moment passed yesterday, Today is also passing similarly." (2.1)
"Worship, O worship God, thy life is fast passing. What shall I tell thee again and again? Thou understand not, thou ignorant man: Thy body shall melt like a hailstone before long, Give up all doubts and meditate on the Name of God. In the end this alone will accompany thee. Give up like poison the sensual pleasures, and enshrine the praise of Hari in thy heart. Nanak, the servant of God, reminds thee - Thy opportunity is slipping." (2.2)
"O man, what shall be thy lot? To the Name of God didst thou not lend thy ear in this world, and remained totally engrossed in sensual pleasures and didst not turn away thy mind from these.
Thou wast born a man, but didst not remember God even for an instant. Thou hast become a slave to gratification of lust and hast got thy feet shackled.
Nanak, the servant of God warns thee - this world is like a dream. Why dost thou not remember God, slave mammon is?" (2.3)
"Thy life is passing in vain Day and night thou dost listen to religious books yet thou dost not understand the truth, ignorant man. Death is approaching and thou hast nowhere to flee from it. Thy, body, which thou regardest as permanent shall return to dust; why dost thou not remember God, O thou who are without shame and ignorant? Nanak, the servant of God tells thee to give up pride in thy heart and devote thyself to God and thus live thy life in this world." (2.4)

NOTES & REFERENCES:
[1] Japu
[2] Sarang V.2.90
[3] Pages 140 and 149
[4] M.A. Macauliffe, "The Sikh Religion", Vol.IV
[5] Asa Chhant, Guru III, 2,7.
[6] Var Siri - Sloka 2, Guru III
[7] Anand, Pauri 19
[8] Japu 2.
[9] Majh, Chaupade 2.8 9. Japu, 23.
[10] Nurse sent by Raja Kamsa of Mathura to poison the infant Krisna.
[11] HPWE, pp. 223 and 226.
[12] Ibid, p.268.
[13] Sukhmani XIX, 7.
[14] Froude, "Short Studies", Vol.1

http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/articles/guru-tegh-bahadurs-bani-spiritual-and-ethical-teaching-gateway-to-si.html

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: