• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Our Society Has Become Sick: SC On Dowry Deaths

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Our society has become sick: SC on dowry deaths

TNN, Nov 2, 2010 - THE TIMES OF INDIA

NEW DELHI: Shaken by the large number of women being killed for dowry, the Supreme Court said Indian society has become sick. "The hallmark of a healthy society is the respect it shows to women. Indian society has become a sick society. This is evident from the large number of cases coming up in this court and also in almost all courts in the country in which young women are being killed by their husbands or by their in-laws by pouring kerosene on them and setting them on fire or by hanging/strangulating them," an anguished bench of Justices Markandey Katju and Gyan Sudha Mishra said in a recent judgment.

"What is the level of civilization of a society in which a large number of women are treated in this horrendous and barbaric manner? What has our society become," asked the Bench before upholding life term for the husband and mother-in-law of a woman killed for dowry.

The bench had a point. Data compiled for 2008 by National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) showed that there were 8,172 dowry deaths in the country but only 33.4% of the cases resulted in conviction. For the same year, there were 81,344 cases of cruelty towards women by husbands and relatives and the conviction rate was even lower at 22.4%.

Advocating harsh punishment for those who murder women for dowry, the bench said crimes against women could not be classified as ordinary ones committed in a fit of anger or for property. "They disrupt the entire social fabric, hence call for harsh punishment," it said.

"Unfortunately, what is happening in our society is that out of lust for money, people are often demanding dowry and after extracting as much money as they can, they kill the woman and marry again and then again, they commit the murder of their wife for the same purpose," the Bench said, making a rather sweeping generalisation of the nature of the crime.

The bench went on to analyse causes behind this abnormal behaviour. "This is because of total commercialization of our society, and lust for money which induces people to kill their wives. The time has come when we have to stamp out this evil from society with an iron hand," it said.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Where are the saviours of the Sanatan Dharma hiding while this evil called dowry is spreading its tentacles across the Hindu Society? No action is visible from RSS or VHP to protect the Indian society from this evil.:seriousmunda:

Ac Marshall Ji

I appreciate you despite being a non sikh you are criticising organisations of your own Religion.I takes lots of guts and bravery to do this especially on another Religion's forum.But I must have to say that Other Religions are also not doing enough for preventing anything wrong in society,reason all people have got money minded ,they just want money should come if not from straight way then it should from some other ways.That is why the have also spread even to other religions like islam where there was no concept of it.

Excessive money mindedness is the root cause of all Indian problems.Now just look at Adarsh society scam,the army that was used to be considered as honest have joined band of Politicians by shown that they are also corrupt

ac_marshall

SPNer
Nov 5, 2009
Bangalore, India
Dear Kanwardeep Singhji,
I follow humanism. I don't find it possible to put myself under any existing religion as I have Catholic (Irish), Buddhist and Tamil(Vallalar cult) genes in my blood. I grew among Sikhs for a number of years during my father's defence service and befriended many of them. That's the reason I'm on this forum to know more about Sikhism. During my training days, 7 out of my 11 instructors were Sikhs.

I have been posting against pseudos in various forums. These pseudo organizations are only interested in expanding their numbers and show fake heroism in doing that but hide behind veils while a necessity arises to clean up their own communities. I have also been critical of the Catholic Organizations for mass conversions by unethical means, Buddhist Organizations for practising Hinayana and Mahayana and Tamil Organizations also for practising Casteism.

Regards:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM