• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Opinion OT: My Family's Home Has Burnt Down

Jul 14, 2011
Hello All,
I recently received news that our house has indeed burnt down in the massive fires around Bastrop, TX. Everyone in my family got out safe with only the cloths on their back. I am concerned for my family but am away at college. All of our families history... our photo albums, family videos, items from our ancestors... gone. I am trying to stay strong, but it is hard. I am keeping myself busy finding ways to get my parents clothing, toiletries, etc.

I would would appreciate quotes from the Guru to uplift my spirit. Thanks.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Re: OT: My Families Home has Burnt Down

TSS, you and your family have my sincere condolences. I can't imagine how it must feel for your family right now. I'm very glad to hear they are all safe and well. Buildings and belongings can be replaced, memories live on in your minds (more reason for your family to recount them together now), but people are more important than any of that.

I had a look around for some Gurbani for you and thought this was nice (it is a mixture of tuks from different parts of SGGS):

Gurbani | MERA MUJH MEIN KICHH NAHEEN | Read Bhagat Kabir's Shabad along with Bhai Gopal Singh Ji - YouTube

Here are the words:

kabeer maeraa mujh mehi kish nehee jo kish hai so thaeraa |
Kabeer, nothing is mine within myself. Whatever there is, is Yours, O Lord.

thaeraa thujh ko soupathae kiaa laagai maeraa |203|
If I surrender to You what is already Yours, what does it cost me? ||203||

mai naahee prabh sabh kish thaeraa |
I am nothing, God; everything is Yours.

eeghai niragun ooghai saragun kael karath bich suaamee maeraa |1| rehaao |
In this world, You are the absolute, formless Lord; in the world hereafter, You are the related Lord of form. You play it both ways, O my Lord and Master. ||1||Pause||

thoon jeevan thoon praan adhaaraa |
You are my Life, the very Support of my breath of life.

thujh hee paekh paekh man saadhaaraa |1|
Gazing upon You, beholding You, my mind is soothed and comforted. ||1||

thoon saajan thoon preetham maeraa |
You are my Friend, You are my Beloved.

chithehi n bisarehi kaahoo baeraa |1| rehaao |
I shall never forget You. ||1||Pause||

ho kish naahee sabh kish thaeraa |
I am nothing; everything is Yours.

outh poth naanak sang basaeraa |4|5|11|
Through and through, You abide with Nanak. ||4||5||11||

Although this is probably not "kosher" Gurbani (being a mix of tuks) it still conveys a nice sentiment.

Again, you have my sympathies TSS.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

My dear brother,

This story is one of so many that make me feel helpless to do anything except give comfort if I can. It is brave of you to share your story, and even braver to look into a future that seems difficult right now. Emotional and spiritual comfort is all I can give...and there are many silent members here who are offering prayers for you and your loved ones.

It could be that Sikhi will be the place and way that you and your family step into that future stronger than before. I, we, keep you in ardaas now and for days coming. Please do keep us informed.

Stay strong and trust that you will be supported in only the right way by the Sat. This is not easy. No more cliches from me. You have my love and blessings.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada

SSA sikhstudent ji,

From your writing, I get a glimpse of you already connected with Him. Despite of all the happenings, you are already going strong. Not only yourself, but you are very much able to inject vibrations of strength in your own family. This could be possible only with Guru da Aasra, which you are already with.

I love reciting 'Ja tu mere wall hai ta kya muhchhanda...' as it takes me to a different plane altogether.

Guru ang sang ji

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Dear "texassikhstudent" Ji:

SAT SIRI AKAL

Sorry to hear about your predicament. You & your family are in my prayers!
May Waheguru Ji give you all the courage & peace of mind to face & cope with this situation!

With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji,

Harbhajan S. Sangha

Naam Japat Dukh Jaye :

Naam Japat Dukh Jaye - Ishmeet Singh, Star Voice of India - YouTube

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Veer texassikhstudent Ji may you and your family have the blessings of health, happiness and prosperity in the future.

At times like this one needs to,

• Count the blessings big and small
  • Share so that you may hear from others as each one has a big and small events in our lives that are hard to understand
    • Sorrow divided is sorrow diminished
  • One can always live without somethings but things have little meaning without life
    • Try to look after your and family's health
May you be blessed with a positive and enjoyable future.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
texassikhstudentji,

I cannot offer you bani or any direction for prayer, but I feel I must offer you heartfelt congratulations that all your family managed to escape in one piece and with no injury, the rest of your loss is maya and inconvenience, sometimes the pendulum of time smashes into us with awful consequences, you and your family must be very blessed to have escaped with all lives intact, I hope everything pans out ok for you all,

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM