• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Onions!

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
ONIONS !
I HAD NEVER HEARD THIS

removed personal email address

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu... Many of the farmers and their families had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser. She said that several years ago, many of her employees were coming down with the flu, and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

I do know that I contacted pneumonia, and, needless to say, I was very ill... I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put it into an empty jar, and place the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs...sure enough it happened just like that...the onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note. Lots of times when we have stomach problems we don't know what to blame. Maybe it's the onions that are to blame. Onions absorb bacteria is the reason they are so good at preventing us from getting colds and flu and is the very reason we shouldn't eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open.

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of mayonnaise. Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

Ed, who was our tour guide, is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made mayo is completely safe.

"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the summer picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table, and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that, when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the ONIONS, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.

He explained onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.

It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!). Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.

Please remember it is dangerous to cut an onion and try to use it to cook the next day, it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates toxic bacteria which may cause adverse stomach infections because of excess bile secretions and even food poisoning.

Sarbat-da-bhala

Removed blog link

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Onions !

Forum members, the information reported in the first half of this article is an ancient superstition originating in what were Celtic speaking countries. It is a myth and possibly dangerous information. in Wales, UK...yes there is the belief that placing onions around the house will absorb all the evil and negativity. In the countryside, the older and the more traditional people do/will set plates of onions about the house to ward off negativity and evil. The second part of the article stating that onions are dangerous or poisonous if left over has no scientific basis. Anything that is not properly washed, stored or refrigerated can make you sick, not just onions.

Let me add, that if the superstition is believed elsewhere in the world that does not make it safe information because of cultural consensus.

We do not have a forum rule that leads to deleting this kind of information. We even have threads on Big Foot... I just ask that you read this information with caution.

Last edited:

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA

Awhile back i read a hukamnama issued by banda singh bhaudur asking sikhs not to eat onions. Can't seem to find the reference at the moment. Anyone else know about this. What could be the reason.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Two reactions. Many of the hukamnamas attributed to this or that Singh ji of old are fake.

Avoidance of onions, and garlic, are consistent with Jain beliefs. However, the matter of evil spirits does not enter into it. Other root vegetables avoided by Jains, who are most rigorous in diet, include potatoes and beets too! The foods are "tamasic." The purpose is to counteract lethargy and dark emotions. The thinking comes from ancient philosophy in which bodily humours or constitution is affected positively by certain foods and negatively by others. Foods stored overnight are also considered tamasic. Now you have me wondering were the idea for this thread comes from.

Think about it...... hmmmmmm. Bhai Banda Singh Bhadur ji came to Sikhi after being a Brhamin. Guru Nanak discouraged stringent food habits. Why would Bhai Banda Singh ji issue such a hukamnama, especially when his Sikhs were starving?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Ok - easy enough to find

The command of Siri Sache Sahib [Banda] to the entire Khalsa (sarabat khálsá) of Jaunpur. The Guru watches over you. Repeat 'Guru' [and so] redeem your birth [into the world]. You are the Khalsa of Akal Purakh. In accordance with this command don the five weapons and present yourselves before me. Observe the Rahit of the Khalsa. So not consume cannabis, tobacco, opium, poppy-head, alcohol or [any other] intoxicant, nor should you eat meat, fish, or onions. Do not steal and avoid illicit relations. We have brought in the Satiyug! Let love dwell amongst you. My command is that you maintain the Khalsa's Rahit. The Guru's will help you to do so. Dated Poh 12 of the first year.

Ganda Singh (ed.) Hukam-náme, Patiala: Punjabi University, 1967

Often the book by Ganda Singh, Compilation of Hukamnamas, is taken as the "gospel" truth. What is left out is that Professor Ganda Singh simply gathered together all the hukamnamas, but he did not do any kind of historical evaluation of them. The book is valuable because the documents are now available for historians to research.

Note: As his martyrdom approached many rumors and false documents were circulated in order to discredit Bhai Bhanda Singh in the eyes of his friends and followers. Tread with caution. This article at SPN reviews the false allegations against him http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/hard-talk/14962-banda-singh-bahadar-bandai-tat-khalsa.html#post51155

Last edited:

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA

Two reactions. Many of the hukamnamas attributed to this or that Singh ji of old are fake.

Avoidance of onions, and garlic, are consistent with Jain beliefs. However, the matter of evil spirits does not enter into it. Other root vegetables avoided by Jains, who are most rigorous in diet, include potatoes and beets too! The foods are "tamasic." The purpose is to counteract lethargy and dark emotions. The thinking comes from ancient philosophy in which bodily humours or constitution is affected positively by certain foods and negatively by others. Foods stored overnight are also considered tamasic. Now you have me wondering were the idea for this thread comes from.

Think about it...... hmmmmmm. Bhai Banda Singh Bhadur ji came to Sikhi after being a Brhamin. Guru Nanak discouraged stringent food habits. Why would Bhai Banda Singh ji issue such a hukamnama, especially when his Sikhs were starving?

He was a Brhamin before sikhi, true. Don't know why he would issue that hukamnama. Only conclusion one comes to is probably its fake like you said.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

In the villages of Punjab, it is a common thing to eat a roti or two just with the raw onions. Raw onions are the staple ' Salad' in Punjab because lettuce does not exist.

I had a Brahmin teacher in India when I was in 9th grade and he was very keen in leaving India. He was quite fair in colour and the letters he wrote to the different companies in Europe, he always mentioned that he did not eat onions and garlic and that was the reason he looked white. I have no idea where he got that from.

There is/was one Sikh member of this forum who admitted to me that at his home nothing was cooked with onions,garlic and ginger.

There was also a myth that if one put raw onions under one's under arms, one would catch fever. I tried that to no avail in order to skip school. Then I started using the thermometer's tip touching the lit bulb on my table lamp which worked but many times the bulb was so hot that it melted the glass and spread the mercury all over rendering the thermometer useless. Grand dad being a doctor, luckily we had a good supply of them at home. We also used to play with the mercury floating on our hands like some liquid silver .

I eat tons of raw onions and we always keep the unused ones in the ziplock bags in the fridge.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Two comments

1. I guess to avoid keeping out leftovers in the fridge overnight we should give them to the lower class to eat or something. Or is it the other way around? I don't know anymore lol!!

2. The other week at Gurdwara Sahib the langar was really mild (which is good for me because anything chilli makes my nose run hehe) and I made a joke to my husband when I got home that the spiciest part of langar was the raw onion in the salad hehehehe.

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Don't really know why admin removed writer's email & Source of the article.

Kindly send him a request to join SPN so that he can answer all queries.

Thanks

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Ok - easy enough to find

Often the book by Ganda Singh, Compilation of Hukamnamas, is taken as the "gospel" truth. What is left out is that Professor Ganda Singh simply gathered together all the hukamnamas, but he did not do any kind of historical evaluation of them. The book is valuable because the documents are now available for historians to research.

Note: As his martyrdom approached many rumors and false documents were circulated in order to discredit Bhai Bhanda Singh in the eyes of his friends and followers. Tread with caution. This article at SPN reviews the false allegations against him http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/hard-talk/14962-banda-singh-bahadar-bandai-tat-khalsa.html#post51155

Maybe Ganda Singh mentioned not eating onions due to a conflict of interest lol lol lol

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Hang on.............. I'm a bit confused here !
Is this person 'Mr Ganda Singh' a serious real person or are we joking on here talking about onions, since indian word for onion= gandah !:grinningsingh::interestedmunda::grinningsingh:

I'm sorry if I've been really slow just catching on but I do get left behind sometimes. !

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM