• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General On A Scale Of Most Severe, Which Vice Affects You The Most?

On a scale of dominating ones, which vices affect you the most and Explain Why? You can make multipl

• Total voters

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry Veer ji I think it as follows,

We are all thieves in the garden of plenty, that is creation. We judge ourselves and we never recognize the dangers of being both "judge and jury". We pat our ego and we pat others back on how good they are. A thief patting another thief. Wonderful!

How much thievery is in consonance with creation? That is more fundamental question in my mind. This all goes back to balance of needs versus deeds.

Humbly submitted.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambersariaji,

Allow me to explain,if we stick with plato's analogy, with the chariot representing reason, the white horse representing truth, contentment, compassion, humility and love, and the black horse, and the black horse representing the thieves, then this is the way in which the thieves can be used to transport reason from one our present location to our destination.

From a personal point of view, it is lust that brought me to this forum, and it was lust, that eventually changed me from atheism to sikhism over the course of this year.

My wife became ill and was signed off from work with stress, I suppose 25 years in nursing is enough to stress anyone out, anyway, the medication completely affected our intimacy, which at that point was a huge part of my life, and left a massive void which I struggled to fill, in the end I filled it with knowledge and understanding, and a belief in the Creator. being an extreme person, I ended up going round and round in circles, as at the time I felt I was either wolf or man, so the white horse was either doing all the work, or the black horse was doing all the work, Sikhi enabled me to use wisdom for the black horse, the fetishes which I was blessed with can make me extremely happy, and they are completely harmless, (its no more than an item of clothing), but now I use them as a carrot, I dangle them in front of the black horse, and I am its master, I can go at full pelt and the black horse is under my reign, not dragging me behind it, all that power and energy is harnessed and is useful if directed at the right things,

I talked to wife this morning about this thread, she maintained that her biggest one was rage, and the medication meant that the black horse was so doped out of its head, that it was actually sitting in the chariot fast asleep, while the white horse did all the work, my wife sleeps a lot, so that explains that!

In my humble view Ambersariaji, the thieves are there to be ruthlessly exploited for their pulling power, strength, endurance and stupidity in being manipulated, hope that makes some sense

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
So, they all cooperate with each other?
Inderjeet Kaur ji if I may add to Tejwant Singh ji's above post, the creator is one, the creation is one, we are one, each one of us is one. Separation into parts, dissections into qualities, etc., is a human concept. It is used by humans to understand but at no time can it change the oneness that we are.

There are absolute switches in our head that give us total and permanent control over our parts and shut of this or shut off that. We can learn to always better manage ourselves but still as one that we are.

Sat Sri Akal.

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
For me I would say it is definetly Moh (attachment). In spiritual terms we must aim to be as free from all attachments, no matter whether the object of our attachment is good in itself, because if we attach ourselves to anything but God alone then we are wandering from our true home in God, in exile from him and we will never find satisfaction in the world of things; nor will we ever achieve that supreme state of spiritual poverty where, attached to nothing, we come to possess everything since God is in all and through all and possessing Him alone, we possess everything but not as our own in a selfish, singular sense but in common with everyone else. Moh is at the root of all my problems.

When we are attached to anything but God we become a slave of the thing to which we are attached. We crave it, we desire it, we possess it as uniquely our own and this only serves to feed the ego.

By being being attached to nothing and by recognising nothing as uniquely your own possession but rather as something loaned to you by the Creator that will pass too your children or others when you die then you come to possess all things since you view everything from what the gurus call, "the Single of Equality" - nothing appears alien to you, everything in creation is yours and equally belongs to everyone else. And so through this poverty of spirit you paradoxically come to possess all things by letting go of any unique attachment to anything. And so you come to be like God, who is equally in all, through all and sustains all without grasping or possessing anything for Himself but rather gifting everything selflessly for the benefit of all his creatures.

Thus Saint Francis dropped his egoistic "Me" in view of a higher being and let go of his attachment to any of his possessions, and in this way he came to possess everything in creation, every single object and creature became his "Brother" or "Sister" because he was now like God, having everything without having anything.

Everyone becomes your brother or sister. You have no enemies, because God shines over all and within all and so do you. There needs become your needs.

In all our attachments it is ourselves we are attached to. Unless you have given yourself up, you have given up nothing.

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, Jesus said, than for the rich to enter the kingdom of God. We should interpret that to mean ‘people attached to their riches’, because there are a few rich people who are very generous in spreading their riches around although the Bible calls blessed and worthy of praise the rich people who do, like Saint Paula. Only our essential being can go through the eye of the needle; no attachments will get through. We can take nothing with us when we die, none of our possessions, only the naked beauty or ugliness of our soul which is dependent on how true to ourselves, to the Image of God within us, we have been in our lives.

"...The soul that is attached to anything however much good there may be in it, will not arrive at the liberty of divine union. For whether it be a strong wire or a slender and delicate thread that holds the bird, it matters not. Until the cord is broken the bird cannot fly..."

- Saint John of the Cross (1542 – 1591), Catholic mystic and Doctor of the Church

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
SPN ??? The way I MUST GO...to SPN daily..several times..is much worse than any of the FIVE....this is the SIXTH "VICE" for me and its the worst..ha ha (Anyway my better half thinks so....while I am still wondering if its Vice or not..ha ha..shes SURE its a VICE second to Manchester United Games..so that would be the SEVENTH VICE i have acquired..ha ha )

sid

SPNer
Jun 9, 2012
india
most of the time i am affected by attachment only and rest are very very less inbuilt in me by creator,and the reason behind attachment was emotions towards my family,friends.
but it never bothered anyone,and as some of the boys have tendency that they love their dear ones but do not have nature and habit to show their love,same with me.
i am trying to implement these a few techniques to over come these vice for last 2-3 years

kam(lust)-by giving true respect to girls not based on gender but based on equality our co-existence ,i am not trying to understand them physically i am trying to understand them by their humble,nonviolent,lovable,soul.And really now its not a problem with me.
krodh(rage)-i am working on the roots of rage,i am trying to find our difference between when its wrong and when its right,i am finding is tending towards peace if yes then rage is ok,difference between ego and self respect,what is more important its me or peace.

lobh(greed),ahankar(ego)-i dont have ego and greed

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
I believe the basic issue, as I see it, is in consuming our energy in a balanced and sensible manner based on Gurmat – i.e. to channel the energy to bring out the positive attributes within us.

This is only possible with Guru’s grace as the Fifth Nanak kindly points out for our benefit:

ਵਾਤ ਵਜਨਿ ਟੰਮਕ ਭੇਰੀਆਮਲ ਲਥੇ ਲੈਦੇ ਫੇਰੀਆਨਿਹਤੇ ਪੰਜਿ ਜੁਆਨ ਮੈ ਗੁਰ ਥਾਪੀ ਦਿਤੀ ਕੰਡਿ ਜੀਉ੧੮॥ (Guru Arjan Dev - Ang.74)
vaat vajan tamak bhayree-aa. nihatay panj ju-aan mai gur thaapee ditee kand jee-o. ||18||

The orchestra (comprising of various instruments, organs, drums etc) plays on, on the world stage (the world activity around us). The wrestlers, in the competition, are gathered going through their preparation, exercises, rituals (i.e. the population engrossed in the play of Maya – action and interaction). With my Guru’s hand on my back (blessings, grace), I have unarmed and floored (knocked out, captured, condtrained, brought under control) the five wrestlers (thieves).

Below is a table summarising the direction, attack (action) and the positive outcome as I understand per my limited wisdom.

TABLE: TRANSFORMING ENERGY

(1) NEGATIVE ENERGY (2) ACTION: CULTIVATE/DO (3) POSITIVE OUTCOME
Lust (kaam)…….. Meditation/contemplation (Naam-ras)……… Bliss (anand)
Rage (krodh)…………. Tolerance (dheeraj)…………….. Mercy, kindness (daya)
Lobh (greed)….. Contentment (santokh, sabar)….. Virtuous life style (adarshik jeevan)
Moh (attachment)……. knowledge, wisdom (Gyan)……. Detachment from worldly illusions (maya)
Ahankar (ego)………...Service, charity……… (seva) Humility (nimrata)

Apologies for the untidy presentation, but don’t know how to transmit the table – it all goes wrong.

The dominance of the five negative traits (thieves) varies at different stages of our lives and is also dependenton our spiritual progression – haumein i.e. ego (egotism – I, I am, my, mine etc.) is the major stumbling block in accepting His Hukam (Bhaanaa).

Humbly

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

justosh

SPNer
Jun 2, 2008
London
As a growing teen i can see all these influences are around me, i find it hard since my parents dont know about the philosophy of Sikhism, so they mix hindu and sikh, i tend to stay away because it is contradicting. so my only support is Waheguru and The Gurbani.........

the most Strong one would be is Kaam, i personally dont have it towards anyone but the influence is the strongest, and has often made me think to pursue it.

But then that moment even if it is 1 second, where all the Dukh (pain) becomes Sukh (peace) is what i pray for, the love of gurbani and Waheguru is my goal now.

lets hope its in his hukam(will)

:)

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I think we all have ALL them as near equal.
Most people kid and fool themselves when they firmly believe they have conquered and eradicated one!!...In reality they don't realise that it's their own EGO telling them this, so when 1 of the 5 you think may be dissapearing, the 5th one -EGO- is usually on the incline and getting more powerful!!!!!!!

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I say Attachment because I think it's attachment that causes the rest! lust (attachment to physical pleasure), greed (attachment to material things), rage (usually caused by attachment to lust or greed, jealousy), ego (attachment to the physical you - which is separate instead of letting go and being part of the ONE).

Dr.Alta

SPNer
Apr 16, 2018
I think we all have ALL them as near equal.
Here, here! but just because they exist in equal quantities inside us doesn't mean. that they exert equal control over us
Most people kid and fool themselves when they firmly believe they have conquered and eradicated one!!...
AS a recovered sex addict I know first hand that when you have conquered one of the thieves doesn't mean that you've eliminated them from yourself. it means that you control it instead of letting it control you

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM