• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Number Of Moques Increase By 74% In USA After 2000!

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
While protests against new mosques in New York, Tennessee and California made headlines, the overall number of mosques quietly rose from 1,209 in 2000 to 2,106 in 2010. And most of their leaders say American society is not hostile to Islam, according to a comprehensive census of U.S. mosques and survey of imams, mosque presidents and board members released Wednesday."This is a very healthy community," said lead researcher and study author Ihsan Bagby, an associate professor of Islamic studies at the University of Kentucky.They're also very engaged: The study finds "98% of mosque leaders say Muslims should be involved in American institutions and 91% agree that Muslims should be involved in politics."
The study — The American Mosque 2011 — was sponsored by the Hartford Institute for Religion Research (Hartford Seminary), the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies, as well as the nation's largest Islamic civic and religious groups, including the Islamic Society of North America and the Council on American-Islamic Relations.Muslims feared being "marginalized, demonized and isolated" after 9/11, said Safaa Zarzour, secretary general of the Islamic Society. But the new study shows they have "kept their eyes on the prize — becoming part of mainstream America."

Major findings include:

•States with the most mosques are New York (257), California (246) and Texas (166).

•Most mosques are in cities, but 28% were in suburban sites in 2010, up from 16% in 2000.

Mosques are ethnically diverse. The major participants are South Asians, Arabs and African Americans, with growing numbers of new immigrants including Somalis, West Africans and Iraqis.

•Most mosque leaders (87%) say "radicalism and extremism" are not increasing among Muslim youth, "in their own experience." They say the greater challenge is "attracting and keeping them close to the mosque."
All religious groups should be worried about losing their youth, said David Roozen, who directs the Hartford Institute, which overseas an every-decade look at the growth and health of U.S. religious congregations, Faith Communities Today.

* The average Friday prayer attendance was 353 compared to 292 in 2000.

Islam will continue to grow, he said, and the old summation of American religion -- Protestant, Catholic, Jew — may soon be revised. But it won't be Protestant, Catholic Muslim, Roozen said.
"The fastest growing group of all is those with no religion," Roozen said.
Although the study does not claim to say how many Muslims are in the USA, Bagby estimates there are 2.6 million "mosque participants" — people who have attended prayers for Eid (a major holy day) or Friday prayers or were considered participants by the mosque leader survey.
Bagby says he reached the number by taking mosque attendance reported by the leadership and multiplying the average number of attendees by the number of mosques.Bagby's report concludes, "If there are 2.6 million Muslims who pray the Eid prayer, then the total Muslim population should be closer to estimates (by Bagby) of up to 7 million."
No other survey projects even 3 million Muslims in the USA.
For example, a 2010 survey on global Muslim population by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life found there were 2.6 million Muslims, including adults and children, in the country. And a 2011 survey by the same research group found 2.75 million Muslims, including 1.8 million adults.
Bagby disputes other studies, saying they underestimate because they are based on random phone interviews and many Muslims, particularly immigrants, will not discuss their religion with a stranger on the phone.
However, the Pew research, which included phone interviews in four languages, also synthesized data from the Census Bureau and immigration authorities. Pew used country-of-birth information with data from surveys on the percentage of people from each country, or group of countries, who belong to various faiths.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-02-29/islamic-worship-growth-us/53298792/1

----------------------------------------------

Interesting times we live in. For the first time in last 1400 years , Islam is crossing the Atlantic Ocean and establishing itself in the "New world", too. American Muslim community is a role model for all the Muslim communities throughout the Western world.

Moderate , intelligent , prosperous , law-abiding , hardworking , happy and upright = American Muslims

imgres

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
I assume these figures of increasing population are due to increased immigration and higher than average birth rates.

Immigration - Yes

Birth rates - No

Conversion - Insignificant

American Muslim population is very embedded in the mainstream American society, so the higher birth rates is not on the cards. Immigration plays the most significant part in the increase of number of mosques all around the country. Regarding conversions , some 20,000 to 30,000 Americans convert to Islam every year number is not really huge. This does not shape the overall out-look of American Muslims , a community that is relatively very new to this land but has adapt to the American values quite well.

From the article :

* The conversion rate per mosque has remained steady over the past two decades. In 2011, the average number of converts per mosque was 15.3. In 2000 the average was 16.3 converts per mosque.

As I see it , Islam has great future in the West..Inshallah!

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Immigration - Yes

Birth rates - No

From the article :

* The conversion rate per mosque has remained steady over the past two decades. In 2011, the average number of converts per mosque was 15.3. In 2000 the average was 16.3 converts per mosque.

QUOTE]

Islam is the fastest growing religion no doubt.
However, Auzer ji the significance of the birth rates is quite high, I know you disgreed above. I'm pretty sure that the TFR (Total fertility rate) is the highest among Muslim females. So the birth rate would be consequently higher-highest.
I have not checked the stats recently, but it was the highest for some time a while back. You could check on wikipedia or similar.

As for the increase in growth, which is a rate, we must remember to look at Total population figures.
What I mean is, that if total population of muslims is a low number, then only a smaller increase in numbers is required compared to if it were a high population number. ie 1 out of 10 will be higher rate than 1 out 20.

Again, I'm not sure what actual figures are, but you could check on wiki.
I believe that christianity especially in North America would still be extremely high. Let me know if I'm wrong.
So in effect if Christians are double in numbers to Islam, then they would need a double increase in number growth than Islam to get the SAME growth rate.

I've mentioned the above as I find plenty of information in the press can sometimes be misleading as it doesn't give the full picture.

Auzer ji, correct me if I'm wrong by all means, we are all learning.

Many thanks
Lucky Singh

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
Immigration - Yes

Birth rates - No

From the article :

QUOTE]

Islam is the fastest growing religion no doubt.
However, Auzer ji the significance of the birth rates is quite high, I know you disgreed above. I'm pretty sure that the TFR (Total fertility rate) is the highest among Muslim females. So the birth rate would be consequently higher-highest.
I have not checked the stats recently, but it was the highest for some time a while back. You could check on wikipedia or similar.

Well overall the Muslim birth rates are higher but I was talking about American Muslim community. In America , Muslim birth rates are pretty similar to the general population. Hispanics have the highest birth rate here. Globally , Muslims do have higher TFR as compared to the "non-Muslims". Most of the Muslim population in the world is young and they'll be producing kids in coming years ... By 2030 , Islam would stand at 2.2 billion strong! followers. After 2030 , birth rates among Muslims would drop down significantly. (See PEW forum complete report on this).

As for the increase in growth, which is a rate, we must remember to look at Total population figures.
What I mean is, that if total population of muslims is a low number, then only a smaller increase in numbers is required compared to if it were a high population number. ie 1 out of 10 will be higher rate than 1 out 20.

Agree.

Again, I'm not sure what actual figures are, but you could check on wiki.
I believe that christianity especially in North America would still be extremely high. Let me know if I'm wrong.
So in effect if Christians are double in numbers to Islam, then they would need a double increase in number growth than Islam to get the SAME growth rate.

There is absolutely NO doubt about that. Christianity would remain the largest religion in Americas (North/South). I never stated that Islam will somehow replace Christianity here. Overall , Western world is secular and will remain so.

I've mentioned the above as I find plenty of information in the press can sometimes be misleading as it doesn't give the full picture.

Auzer ji, correct me if I'm wrong by all means, we are all learning.

Many thanks
Lucky Singh

We all are learning here sir 0:)

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
May be Auzer ji can elaborate or correct me but I believe that Mosques are Oil Money driven out of Saudi Arabia with Saudis's sponsoring 75% cost of such projects. Eventually controlling their operation and type of religious education, dissemination, etc., cariied out which will be Sunni.

Well overall the Muslim birth rates are higher but I was talking about American Muslim community. In America , Muslim birth rates are pretty similar to the general population. Hispanics have the highest birth rate here. Globally , Muslims do have higher TFR as compared to the "non-Muslims". Most of the Muslim population in the world is young and they'll be producing kids in coming years ... By 2030 , Islam would stand at 2.2 billion strong! followers.

USA

Adult population, total

Adult population;
Responded
216,367 94.80%;
Total Christian
173,402 76.00%
Total non-Christian religions
8,796 3.90%
Jewish
2,680 1.20%
Eastern Religions
1,961 0.90%
Buddhist
1,189 0.50%
Muslim
1,349 0.60%
New Religious Movements & Others
2,804 1.20%
None/ No religion, total
34,169 15.00%
Agnostic+Atheist
3,606 1.60% Did Not Know/ Refused to reply 11,815 5.20%

These are 2008 estimated

Facts:

• Greater than 75% Christian denomination or 3 in 4
  • More Jews than Muslims
  • More Atheists than Muslims
  • More people of Eastern Religions other than Islam, Buddhism (e.g. Sikhs, Hindus, etc.); and this number more than Muslims

Regards

Last edited:

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
May be Auzer ji can elaborate or correct me but I believe that Mosques are Oil Money driven out of Saudi Arabia with Saudis's sponsoring 75% cost of such projects. Eventually controlling their operation and type of religious education, dissemination, etc., cariied out which will be Sunni.

Ambar ji
Well conspiracy theories of haters are as ridiculous as they themselves are. There isn't any concrete evidence that Saudi Arabia is putting funds in building mosques across the Atlantic. Probably some Saudi organizations fund few mosques but so do Malaysian , American-Muslim organizations etc etc..nothing big here. We don't know anything regarding moques but we do know one thing for sure that Saudis fund Fox News and Fox News is very "pro-Muslim" as we all know lol .

By the way , 90% + of global Muslim population is sunni...so I don't know why would Saudi fund mosques to spread Sunnism when its already the largest denomination? Probably you wanted to write "Extremist Wahhabi" and not "Sunni" ...

Please enjoy the following Song and it is not religious just nice tune talking about revealing secrets,
Asha - Parde Mein Rehne Do - Shikar [1968] - YouTube

Regards
I didn't get the purpose of your posting this funny information from 2008 :/ What purpose does it serve to the thread?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Auzer thanks for your post. I believe couple of things I wanted to highlight were the excessive news visibilty to Muslims in spite of smaller numbers in USA. The visibility generally being negative.
Ambar ji
Well conspiracy theories of haters are as ridiculous as they themselves are. There isn't any concrete evidence that Saudi Arabia is putting funds in building mosques across the Atlantic. Probably some Saudi organizations fund few mosques but so do Malaysian , American-Muslim organizations etc etc..nothing big here.
This could be hearsay and someone Muslim identified that 75% funding for buildings is Saudi. As I said it was hearsay but I was amazed and wondered how our Sikh organizations has not achieved this level of cohesion and hierarchy. If it is false info, I apologize.

We don't know anything regarding mosques but we do know one thing for sure that Saudis fund Fox News and Fox News is very "pro-Muslim" as we all know lol .
It is fair for you to get back at me with perversity or biting comment, that lightens up discussions. I have been guilty of such many times.

By the way , 90% + of global Muslim population is sunni...so I don't know why would Saudi fund mosques to spread Sunnism when its already the largest denomination? Probably you wanted to write "Extremist Wahhabi" and not "Sunni" ...

Again I could be wrong and my assumption from outside looking in would be that Saudis are very protective of Sunna as custodians and protectors of the same.

I didn't get the purpose of your posting this funny information from 2008 :/ What purpose does it serve to the thread?
Information was more related to putting context around rates of growth, etc. Smaller communities in early phases have phenomenal percentage growth numbers and some times it appears skewed presentation of actual percentages that matter for information and understanding purposes. I learnt something from those stats. I never thought that there were more Jews than Muslims in USA. I recognize they are very well organized but I was surprised by actual numbers.
The video I posted just as I think of certain songs I like myself for various aspects. When I was posting I though may be some one will be offended but I posted anyway. I like music so if you have some that you lke you may want to post in the appropriate section too.

Regards.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: