• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism Nitnem Gutka - Gurmukhi W/ English Translation

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Hi all - this is more of a request.

What nitnem gutka do you use?

Pics of the nitnem gutka, or a link where i can see and possibly make a purchase of the same copy you have would be nice.

I want to compare the Nitnem Gutka's so i can see which one I like best.

Preferablly something close to how this site translates the SGGS here:

Siri Guru Granth Sahib -Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration.

However, there is always the second choice of selecting the banis by hand and computer printing them - but that would make them way to large for a nitnem gutka.

thank you all

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sherab ji

Actually you have hit on a pet peeve of mine. The NitNem I use is probably the most commonly used for English speakers, Sacred Nitnem by Harbans Singh Doabia. It has some real drawbacks. The print is very small. The translation is odd in places. On the good side, it has excellent background information, additional resources, and informative footnotes and end-notes. I believe Harbans ji has a corner on the market.

When I do NitNem I use hardcopy printouts from a website, print and translation are much better.

Since you should be chanting in the Gurmukhi, either one works for jap. But the larger fonts on the web version mkes that the the one I use for recitation. I use Sacred Nitnem when I am trying to understand the verses.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Sherab ji

Actually you have hit on a pet peeve of mine. The NitNem I use is probably the most commonly used for English speakers, Sacred Nitnem by Harbans Singh Doabia. It has some real drawbacks. The print is very small. The translation is odd in places. On the good side, it has excellent background information, additional resources, and informative footnotes and end-notes. I believe Harbans ji has a corner on the market.

When I do NitNem I use hardcopy printouts from a website, print and translation are much better.

Since you should be chanting in the Gurmukhi, either one works for jap. But the larger fonts on the web version mkes that the the one I use for recitation. I use Sacred Nitnem when I am trying to understand the verses.
Hello again Aad ji.

Maybe i should put some money into gathering together a PDF that can be created (gurmukhi with several english translations, maybe 2 or 3) in one Nitnem.

Have gurmukhi on one side, and then one bold English, and one italicized english - and on the opposite page with gurmukhi, also include pronunciation.

I will work on this later when i have more time,

In the meanwhile, it would help if you wanted to, is gather together online translations of the Guru Granth Sahib so i can get to to work on selecting some translations, that i think are best, along with a few others.

all are open to help.

Wahe guru ji ka khalsa, wahe guru ji ki fateh.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Serab ji

OK, I think. It may take a couple of days because of the time factor.
Thats fine.

I will keep looking :)

The translation I use is:

Siri Guru Granth Sahib -Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration.

If we can get a few people to agree that these pronunciations are correct, and the Gurmukhi is also correct and fine, we then can work on the english translation issues, and once that is done, compile it all into a .PDF file, and get it ready for printing - there are some companies that publish books and binds them from .PDF - however, i think a soft cover book would be fine.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Update:

Hey all.

I have Anand Sahib ready to be put into later PDF form, and am working on Japji Sahib.

The Nitnem Gutka I plan to make available here will include:

Japji
Jaap
Sawayya
Anand
For the morning. and evening:
Sodar Rehras
Benti Chaupai
Sohila

This will include the Gurmukhi, pronounciation, and english translation.

Also included will be an added-on section at the end containing Ardas (gurmukhi, with english - and pronounciation, if I can have someone do it, or find it.), along with a color photo of each of the Gurus.

Also, If someone wants, they can also do any cover art.
The Gutka will also include a table of contents.

Feel free top put any input here, suggestions, and so on.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Here is the unfinished sample of the Gutka:

All the prayers are there, the table of contents need some work, I need to know whether including Lavaan is a good idea, and, what needs to be improved.
Send all comments, and fixations to:

Gavriel_Melech@hotmail.com

Or you can reply here, whatever floats your boat. =)

Gutka download:
RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting
Really Nice effort!!
Congrats !!

Dear Friend I hope you are aware that such compilations are already available in PDF format

Even Full guru Granth Sahib Is there in PDF in such format

I will post linksYoucan check them out

Download link for PDF Gutka

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/translations/Nitnem%20by%20Dr.%20Kulwant%20Singh,%20with%20Punjabi%20&%20Eng%20transla%20&%20PT.pdf

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/translations/Nitnem%20in%20Gurmukhi%20with%20Transliteration%20&%20English%20Translation%20(Uni).pdf

For other Similar Files CAn be found here . Even Files for PDA

Files with English Translation & Phonetic Transliteration of Sri Guru Granth Sahib

About Vrious TranslationaTwo very popular one ( english)

http://www.srigranth.org/

Two English

1)Sant Singh Khalsa
2)Bhai Manmohan Singh and

Three (Punjabi )
1) Bhai Manmohan Singh
2) Prof Sahib Singh
3) Fareed Kot Teeka

are available on one site only
Check here

You can Choose the translation by selecting it in the upper Right corner of the Page (pinted by Circle and arrow in Pic Attached)

here I have marked it Screen Shot

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Friends

In case you already Knew about these files

Just ignore the message above and forgive me loading you with Uneccesary information

Thanks

Jatinder Singh

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Dear Friends

In case you already Knew about these files

Just ignore the message above and forgive me loading you with Uneccesary information

Thanks

Jatinder Singh
Wow...

that makes my 3 full days of work utterly useless.

This sucks. :eek:

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Wow...

that makes my 3 full days of work utterly useless.

This sucks.
eek.gif

No
Absolutely it was the best time utilisation

It kind of help you to hook into and relate to the Gurbani in more depth so it is good Start

Apr 4, 2007
does your gurdwara have a small shop? many do.

also the best sources for books are

Singhbrothers - Publisher, BookSeller, Exporter, Quality Printer
www.saucha-sauda.ca

they'll have many different gutkas, english, gurmukhi, roman, hindu, whatever you like. :) i've recently started using one that's just roman and gurmukhi, with no english translation, just for daily recitation as it's small and easy to handle, and i really like it. i purchased it at a local Gurdwara.

i think your project is pretty cool, but one thing you should keep in mind is that if you're printing out the gurbani you still have to treat the printed pages with respect, handle them with clean hands, with your head covered and keep them covered while not in use.

and when you're done with the printout (they tear or get old and worn) you should burn them rather than throwing it away.

LittlePrem

SPNer
May 1, 2013
New York, N.Y
does your gurdwara have a small shop? many do.

also the best sources for books are

Singhbrothers - Publisher, BookSeller, Exporter, Quality Printer
www.saucha-sauda.ca

they'll have many different gutkas, english, gurmukhi, roman, hindu, whatever you like. :) i've recently started using one that's just roman and gurmukhi, with no english translation, just for daily recitation as it's small and easy to handle, and i really like it. i purchased it at a local Gurdwara.

i think your project is pretty cool, but one thing you should keep in mind is that if you're printing out the gurbani you still have to treat the printed pages with respect, handle them with clean hands, with your head covered and keep them covered while not in use.
and when you're done with the printout (they tear or get old and worn) you should burn them rather than throwing it away.
-

Yes, exactly what I'm looking for. I can't seem to find just romanized/gurmukhi version here (NY). I've been worried about printing out, so I appreciate the clarity.

Thank you for the info, much appreciated:happykudi:

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
LittlePrem ji

Dya Singh (Australia) has produced a 2 CD set of nitnem banis (very muscial) which come with a gutka with Gurmukhi, Roman transliteration and English translation. The gutka comes wrapped in a little velvet rumaal. :)

If you want to see a picture of inside let me know and I'll post it here.

My only comment is that the transliteration for Jaap and Sawayya is different to the rest of the gutka and has period marks (i.e. .'s) all over the place.

You can buy it online - search for Dya Singh and look for 'Nitnam' at his store.

LittlePrem

SPNer
May 1, 2013
New York, N.Y
Thank you for the suggestion, Ishna Ji!! I found a romanized collection of Nitnem, the size of an average paperback book to use at home, but I will still need a small gutka of JapJi Sahib for traveling at some point. Thanks again!

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I'm glad you found what you were looking for bhenji.

The set by Dya Singh is a thick CD case with the gutka in the rumaal inside that. Keeps the gutka safe and sound inside the hard plastic case and I've found that to be very convenient for travelling, if somewhat a little chunky.

Oct 7, 2010
Really Nice effort!!
Congrats !!

Dear Friend I hope you are aware that such compilations are already available in PDF format

Even Full guru Granth Sahib Is there in PDF in such format

I will post linksYoucan check them out

Download link for PDF Gutka

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/transla...nt Singh, with Punjabi & Eng transla & PT.pdf

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/translations/Nitnem%20in%20Gurmukhi%20with%20Transliteration%20&%20English%20Translation%20(Uni).pdf

For other Similar Files CAn be found here . Even Files for PDA

Files with English Translation & Phonetic Transliteration of Sri Guru Granth Sahib

About Vrious TranslationaTwo very popular one ( english)

Two English

1)Sant Singh Khalsa
2)Bhai Manmohan Singh and

Three (Punjabi )
1) Bhai Manmohan Singh
2) Prof Sahib Singh
3) Fareed Kot Teeka

are available on one site only
Check here

You can Choose the translation by selecting it in the upper Right corner of the Page (pinted by Circle and arrow in Pic Attached)

here I have marked it Screen Shot
Unfortunately I am unable to find any of these files in 2022. If anyone can enlighten me I would be very grateful!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: