• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

New To Sikhism

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I did it!!! I went to Gurdwara!!!!! It was AMAZING! I did understand some of what was being said since I have been reading translations alongside the Punjabi and Gurmuki script, and they have a projector with the translations that follows anyway. I closed my eyes in parts and literally got lost in the experience!

When I bowed to Guru Granth Sahib, it was an awesome feeling... I got shivers! (I had been worried about how to do that - and everything ....needlessly... I was over thinking everything really)

And at Langar afterward, I managed to not wear any of my food! :)

I'm so proud of myself for taking this step! Sikhs really are very welcoming and friendly! They announced to everyone that I was there, that it was my first time and a little bit about how I found them. And I was told that I am welcome to return at any time, and that they hope I come back!

and p.s. - nobody said anything about my kara :)

singhitwithme - don't be worried... just go! You will be so happy you did! I know I am! And I am going back next Sunday!

Thank you everyone who gave me advice!

Ishna - my scarf turned out to pretty much be a chunni. It was as long and as wide as one. I just didn't have a suit that matched it (but with beiges, tans and pinks in it, it wasn't hard to match with a tan tunic top and khakis) I didn't have any trouble keeping it on, and besides that I noticed every Sikh woman in there adjusting theirs at some point during the service anyway!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I did it!!! I went to Gurdwara!!!!! It was AMAZING! I did understand some of what was being said since I have been reading translations alongside the Punjabi and Gurmuki script, and they have a projector with the translations that follows anyway. I closed my eyes in parts and literally got lost in the experience!

When I bowed to Guru Granth Sahib, it was an awesome feeling... I got shivers! (I had been worried about how to do that - and everything ....needlessly... I was over thinking everything really)

And at Langar afterward, I managed to not wear any of my food! :)

I'm so proud of myself for taking this step! Sikhs really are very welcoming and friendly! They announced to everyone that I was there, that it was my first time and a little bit about how I found them. And I was told that I am welcome to return at any time, and that they hope I come back!

and p.s. - nobody said anything about my kara :)

singhitwithme - don't be worried... just go! You will be so happy you did! I know I am! And I am going back next Sunday!

Thank you everyone who gave me advice!

Ishna - my scarf turned out to pretty much be a chunni. It was as long and as wide as one. I just didn't have a suit that matched it (but with beiges, tans and pinks in it, it wasn't hard to match with a tan tunic top and khakis) I didn't have any trouble keeping it on, and besides that I noticed every Sikh woman in there adjusting theirs at some point during the service anyway!

As cynical as I am, even I melted a bit reading that.....

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
Really happy for you Akashaji :D Glad it went well!

It's normal to be anxious about things like this. :) Just glad you got on alright in the end

don't be worried... just go! You will be so happy you did! I know I am! And I am going back next Sunday!
Sounds like you had a really good time! I can't wait until I get a chance to visit Gurudawara :( Unfortunately I live quite a distance away, but hopefully I'm organizing a trip up soon

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
The whole experience really was uplifting and magical! Even though I didn't understand every word that was being spoken (I did recognize some like the Ardas because I had been reading the translations alongside the Punjabi / Gurmukhi) But even though some I did not recognize, I just closed my eyes and literally I was taken somewhere else... somewhere deep within. I am sure they noticed that I was sitting there at times, eyes closed, and smiling... I hope that wasn't too weird of me LOL

I already knew that Sikhism was where I belong based on my beliefs (and knowledge from some deeply personal spiritual experiences I have had) It's the only religion / philosophy where I don't have to modify my own beliefs at all... everything just fits. After going to Gurdwara, I know for sure now!

And for those who have not gone yet... please don't be a chicken like I was. It's really nothing to be scared about! I feel kind of silly now after the fact! I'm so glad that I did not chicken out! It really helped though to have a white Amritdhari locally. He and his punjabi born wife were the ones who brought me there today, and she took me under her wing and explained everything to me for which I am very thankful!

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
I already knew that Sikhism was where I belong based on my beliefs (and knowledge from some deeply personal spiritual experiences I have had) It's the only religion / philosophy where I don't have to modify my own beliefs at all... everything just fits. After going to Gurdwara, I know for sure now!
I think it's only safe to choose a path based on our own beliefs if we've thought long and hard, scrutinized, examined and reflected on our beliefs from every angle first. This is why I'm very apprehensive about committing myself to any path. It's great that you find Sikhi works for you - I believe Sikhi is a good way for everyone, but of course some people aren't ready to see that.

The most important thing I think is to question, question, think, then question again. Don't stop asking questions :) It's important to find the path that supports your beliefs, but if you run into something that challenges your beliefs, remember you will have to question the either path or your beliefs. Don't abandon either on a whim.

Anyways, sorry for the rant!

Once again really happy for you and proud of you for going, you sound really happy with the path you're taking so by all means pursue it whole-heartedly :)

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Akasha Ji,

Here's a new thread which will interest you. Click on this : #2

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
I think it's only safe to choose a path based on our own beliefs if we've thought long and hard, scrutinized, examined and reflected on our beliefs from every angle first. This is why I'm very apprehensive about committing myself to any path. It's great that you find Sikhi works for you - I believe Sikhi is a good way for everyone, but of course some people aren't ready to see that.

The most important thing I think is to question, question, think, then question again. Don't stop asking questions :) It's important to find the path that supports your beliefs, but if you run into something that challenges your beliefs, remember you will have to question the either path or your beliefs. Don't abandon either on a whim.

Anyways, sorry for the rant!

Once again really happy for you and proud of you for going, you sound really happy with the path you're taking so by all means pursue it whole-heartedly :)
Any religion is nothing both the discipline of how you live your life & the path that takes you to the devine power/the main source 'Waheguru'. And till now & forever Sikhism will remain an unchallenged path that unites humans with the Almighty ... :blueturban:

Am happy to be born in a Sikh family & even happier for those who chose the right path & made their birth successful on this journey (life).

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh ...

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Am happy to be born in a Sikh family & even happier for those who chose the right path & made their birth successful on this journey (life).

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh ...

Actually it's kind of eerie how when I think back, Sikhism has been popping up in my life many times over long before I decided to actually become Sikh. SO I think Waheguru has been sending me messages to get me on this path for much of my life really!! It just took me this long to listen!

When I was in my teens, I had some weird experiences... out of body experiences (aka Astral Projections) they happened on their own. I didn't do any occult practices or meditation to make them happen. (these experiences are a bit difficult to talk about for fear of non belief by others or ridicule, so pls note) I always thought of them as gifts from God though but things I learned when researching Astral Projection pretty much killed any belief I had (if I even had any at all) in my birth religion (Catholicism, which shuns anything it considers Occult - read between the lines - it actually shuns anything that encourages people to explore their true spirituality and direct relationship with God). Things like knowledge of the Akashic Records, the Astral Plane etc. ... So here was something I KNEW from experience, but could not fit to any specific religion I knew of. When I researched what was happening to me, Sikhism came up (references to Akashic Ethers etc). So I really started reading about Sikhism more than 20 years ago now! I think this was the first cue Waheguru was sending me...

Then when I was 21 I joined the Navy. In one of my first foreign ports I was shopping and came upon one of those Cd displays where you can push the button and listen to samples of music. What I heard was amazing... and I bought the Cd. I didn't understand the lyrics at first, and didn't know it until several months later, but what I was listening to was literally the Mool Mantra put to music by Singh Kaur. (even though the music is 3HO based, the content of the song - the words - is what matters I think... and even though its not traditional punjabi music, you'd be surprised how well celtic harp works with it!! 3HO might have strayed off the path of True Sikhism, but they do have some good contributions like music etc. - just wish they'd dump the kundalini BS) So there was another cue Waheguru was sending me... music I could listen to and really let go and meditate. I didn't even know I was meditating on the Mool Mantra! I still listen to Singh Kaur's music btw... she has a beautiful voice!

Then in my late 20's I met a guy online (ya I know...) locally. He was a Sikh and a doctor. Though he was also a jerk (different story) and a bad example of a Sikh since he drank, got caught drunk driving, lost his medical license, etc... it got my interest in Sikhism piqued yet again so I started reading more.... Third cue from Waheguru!

So even though I only recently decided to contact the local Gurdwara... I feel that I have been steered by Waheguru on this path pretty much my whole life, through subtle (or maybe not so subtle when you look at them) cues.

I think those born into Sikhism are so lucky... you learn everything growing up. I have to learn everything now as an adult at 36 years but had I listened to my heart, and to Waheguru in my teens when I was given such a beautiful gift as knowing (not believing but actually KNOWING) we are spiritual beings much beyond this physical shell... I would have been on this path a lot sooner!

Better late than never I guess... :happykudi:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think those born into Sikhism are so lucky... you learn everything growing up. I have to learn everything now as an adult at 36 years but had I listened to my heart, and to Waheguru in my teens when I was given such a beautiful gift as knowing (not believing but actually KNOWING) we are spiritual beings much beyond this physical shell... I would have been on this path a lot sooner!

No, being born into Sikhi, we are not lucky. We are just careless and complacent. It is all about when you start fighting free of the Maya (or this physical worldly illusion). It is not about how sooner you join, but how fierce you are in your devotion from now on! All the best.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
No, being born into Sikhi, we are not lucky. We are just careless and complacent. It is all about when you start fighting free of the Maya (or this physical worldly illusion). It is not about how sooner you join, but how fierce you are in your devotion from now on! All the best.

I knew of the illusion of this reality when I had my first experience with astral projection in my teens. So that truth has always been part of my core being... Reading about quantum physics and how reality dissolves the deeper you look into subatomic levels, and that the base of all the Universe is frequency (vibration) just made it all that more clear to me.

If people want viable proof of the illusion/ Maya of this world, read up on Quantum physics, the measurement problem, experiments like the double slit experiment, and cymatics. The evidence will astound you! Science already shows that this world is an illusion...

And I AM fierce in my beliefs... :) I think I was always a Sikh but just did not know it!

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I am aware that quantum physics now accepts that the whole universe is consciousness. This is in line with sikhism beliefs and can help one understand varying concepts of naam.

It is very real whilst at the same time being an illusion. What I mean by this is that it is not like an illusion as described in 'Matrix' but more of what physically happens is all for real but these physical changes don't affect or change our souls.

I don't know too much about astral projection but am aware that it may happen at times when we may be partially awake and asleep. Much research still needs to be estabilished on this phenomena, but it is interesting.

The quantum physics that I have come across didn't surprise me but just gave me more reassurance about sikhism and associated beliefs.
I must warn you that there are some sikhs who refuse to view it from this angle and refuse to believe the consciousness theories.

In my view, a theory is a theory, you don't have to blindly believe it but you can study it and see if it helps make sense of other concepts and theories. If you don't try and pay attention to the theory then you won't ever understand such concepts!!

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Bani says variously that the world is true and the world is false.

Physically, it is real:

Ang 6

<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਸੋਈ ਸੋਈ ਸਦਾ ਸਚੁ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਚੀ ਨਾਈ

सोई सोई सदा सचु साहिबु साचा साची नाई ॥

So▫ī so▫ī saḏā sacẖ sāhib sācẖā sācẖī nā▫ī.

That True Lord is True, Forever True, and True is His Name.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਹੈ ਭੀ ਹੋਸੀ ਜਾਇ ਜਾਸੀ ਰਚਨਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਰਚਾਈ

है भी होसी जाइ न जासी रचना जिनि रचाई ॥

Hai bẖī hosī jā▫e na jāsī racẖnā jin racẖā▫ī.

He is, and shall always be. He shall not depart, even when this Universe which He has created departs.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਰੰਗੀ ਰੰਗੀ ਭਾਤੀ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਜਿਨਸੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਉਪਾਈ

रंगी रंगी भाती करि करि जिनसी माइआ जिनि उपाई ॥

Rangī rangī bẖāṯī kar kar jinsī mā▫i▫ā jin upā▫ī.

He created the world, with its various colors, species of beings, and the variety of Maya.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਕੀਤਾ ਆਪਣਾ ਜਿਵ ਤਿਸ ਦੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ

करि करि वेखै कीता आपणा जिव तिस दी वडिआई ॥

Kar kar vekẖai kīṯā āpṇā jiv ṯis ḏī vadi▫ā▫ī.

Having created the creation, He watches over it Himself, by His Greatness.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And again on Ang 7:

<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰੁ

करि करि वेखै सिरजणहारु ॥

Kar kar vekẖai sirjaṇhār.

Having created the creation, the Creator Lord watches over it.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੇ ਕੀ ਸਾਚੀ ਕਾਰ

नानक सचे की साची कार ॥

Nānak sacẖe kī sācẖī kār.

O Nanak, True is the Creation of the True Lord.
What is false is our perception and our human-created ideas, rationals, etc. It's like, the view out of the window is real, but the window frame and the glass (Maya) is false. The aim is to realise there is no glass. But humans are good at creation separation between the World and God via haumai.

Over-complication is Maya. Humans with their stickly little fingers thinking they're bigger than Big.

What exactly do others think when they say this world is an illusion?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Example of the world being false:

Ang 1427

<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਮਮਤਾ ਤਜੈ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ

जो प्रानी ममता तजै लोभ मोह अहंकार ॥

Jo parānī mamṯā ṯajai lobẖ moh ahaʼnkār.

That mortal who renounces possessiveness, greed, emotional attachment and egotism -

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਆਪਨ ਤਰੈ ਅਉਰਨ ਲੇਤ ਉਧਾਰ ॥੨੨॥

कहु नानक आपन तरै अउरन लेत उधार ॥२२॥

Kaho Nānak āpan ṯarai a▫uran leṯ uḏẖār. ||22||

says Nanak, he himself is saved, and he saves many others as well. ||22||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਿਉ ਸੁਪਨਾ ਅਰੁ ਪੇਖਨਾ ਐਸੇ ਜਗ ਕਉ ਜਾਨਿ

जिउ सुपना अरु पेखना ऐसे जग कउ जानि ॥

Ji▫o supnā ar pekẖnā aise jag ka▫o jān.

Like a dream and a show, so is this world, you must know.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਇਨ ਮੈ ਕਛੁ ਸਾਚੋ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੨੩॥

इन मै कछु साचो नही नानक बिनु भगवान ॥२३॥

In mai kacẖẖ sācẖo nahī Nānak bin bẖagvān. ||23||

None of this is true, O Nanak, without God. ||23||

One of my favourite parts of the whole Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji are the Shaloks by Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji... for the new people, these Shaloks start on Ang 1426 (after the 22nd verse down the page) and concludes on Ang 1429 at verse 52. *swoons*

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Oops, I re-read some of the posts and realised I've made an assumption - the discussion is about 'illusion of reality' which might be interpreted differently than 'illusion of the world' which is kinda where my thoughts were at. Sorry!

mariposazul

SPNer
Mar 9, 2011
Sat Sri Akal Akasha ji,

Reading through the virtual sangat's post, I conquer with them :) You sound that you are doing a fine job and it is AWESOME that the Sangat is willing to show you the ropes. Just go and enjoy the Guru's presence.

It took me at least 3 years to finally 'take the plunge' to fully say 'okay this is what I want, this is my true path', so don't see it in numbers or time, see it day by day experience to understand deeper and experience the Jot of Wahe Guru ji. Because even after one takes Amrit and one 'feels' Sikh, you still have more to learn and grow, that's the nature of it all and there lies the beauty.

I wear dastar, and it gives me an entire different experience than just a chuni or just a tischel style wrap, but like mentioned before, it's your journey and the Guru has a timing for each of us when it is right. The main reason for dastar, whether Singh or Kaur is two main reasons 1. to be identified as a Sikh visually when you are out in public and 2. it does keep your hair neat and tidy, but the fundamental part is the first reason, for me that is the driving force why I chose as a Kaur to wear a dastar.

Chardi Kala and keep us posted.

Inderjot Kaur

:whatzpointkudi:

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
Actually it's kind of eerie how when I think back, Sikhism has been popping up in my life many times over long before I decided to actually become Sikh. SO I think Waheguru has been sending me messages to get me on this path for much of my life really!! It just took me this long to listen!

When I was in my teens, I had some weird experiences... out of body experiences (aka Astral Projections) they happened on their own. I didn't do any occult practices or meditation to make them happen. (these experiences are a bit difficult to talk about for fear of non belief by others or ridicule, so pls note) I always thought of them as gifts from God though but things I learned when researching Astral Projection pretty much killed any belief I had (if I even had any at all) in my birth religion (Catholicism, which shuns anything it considers Occult - read between the lines - it actually shuns anything that encourages people to explore their true spirituality and direct relationship with God). Things like knowledge of the Akashic Records, the Astral Plane etc. ... So here was something I KNEW from experience, but could not fit to any specific religion I knew of. When I researched what was happening to me, Sikhism came up (references to Akashic Ethers etc). So I really started reading about Sikhism more than 20 years ago now! I think this was the first cue Waheguru was sending me...

Then when I was 21 I joined the Navy. In one of my first foreign ports I was shopping and came upon one of those Cd displays where you can push the button and listen to samples of music. What I heard was amazing... and I bought the Cd. I didn't understand the lyrics at first, and didn't know it until several months later, but what I was listening to was literally the Mool Mantra put to music by Singh Kaur. (even though the music is 3HO based, the content of the song - the words - is what matters I think... and even though its not traditional punjabi music, you'd be surprised how well celtic harp works with it!! 3HO might have strayed off the path of True Sikhism, but they do have some good contributions like music etc. - just wish they'd dump the kundalini BS) So there was another cue Waheguru was sending me... music I could listen to and really let go and meditate. I didn't even know I was meditating on the Mool Mantra! I still listen to Singh Kaur's music btw... she has a beautiful voice!

Then in my late 20's I met a guy online (ya I know...) locally. He was a Sikh and a doctor. Though he was also a jerk (different story) and a bad example of a Sikh since he drank, got caught drunk driving, lost his medical license, etc... it got my interest in Sikhism piqued yet again so I started reading more.... Third cue from Waheguru!

So even though I only recently decided to contact the local Gurdwara... I feel that I have been steered by Waheguru on this path pretty much my whole life, through subtle (or maybe not so subtle when you look at them) cues.

Better late than never I guess... :happykudi:

Dear Akasha Ji

There's a famous saying "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves" but exceptions do exist :) & Waheguru held your hand right from your teenage to answer your questions. Interestingly, am myself a Sikh, born in a Sikh family but was very careless on doing Nitnem & visiting Gurudwaras inspite of my parents strict instructions to me. I being a practical natured person want things to be proved before i follow anything & my interest in Sikhism sharpened with my interest to know more about the universe, the planets, stars, various worlds etc. & when i tried searching it in our Granths i started getting answers from Waheguru.

So what i mean to say is that you just lay your questions infront of Gurbani & Guruji is so kind to answer it always !

Further in punjabi there's a famous phrase "Divve Thalle Nera" that means - there's always shadowy darkness beneath diyas (candles) & when you just make an effort & come out of that shadow you experience the immense power of light that would let your sight reach distant places.... such is the power of divine power. You just have to make a small effort to come out of the dark shadow.

Gurfateh !!

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Akasha Ji,

There have been members of Eckankar, a western spiritual org, who have converted into Sikhism here in Malaysia. When I heard their story - in summary this is what they said - they traced the origin of Eckankar teachings to Sikhism. OBE or Soul Travel - a widely used term in ECKankar, was performed by Guru Nanak as told in the Sao Sakhi.

The main reason why they quested to find the origins of the ECK teachings was because they wanted to trace the predecessor of Paul Twitchell. There was a dispute when Harold Klemp overthrew Darwin Gross and it shattered their core beliefs.This led them in the lap of Sikhism and they are Sikhs now together with their families.

Video of Singh Kaur with Celtic Harp. Lyrics are : Ardas Bhaee, Ram Das Guru, Ram Das Guru, Ram Das Guru, Sachee Sahee
Singh Kaur Crimson Vol. 6, Ardas - YouTube

Last edited:

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Astroboy, I have heard of Eckankar... and that they are likened to a cult. When I was researching what was happening to me in my teens I inevitably came across this group. What happened to me naturally, these people were trying to make happen on their own through practice. That in itself is not bad, but Eckankar is membership based, requiring money, and threats if you leave. And a good majority of the material was plagiarized from Sikhism and Rhadsoami / Sant Mat.

Here is another Sing Kaur song... the one that I bought the cd for so many years ago now! When I read the translation of the words in English, that was the pivotal moment when I knew I had to actually pursue Sikhism... The Mool Mantra. Its almost funny to think that for literally years I listened to this song to meditate / relax and I had no idea just how special this mantra was, not consciously anyway.

Singh Kaur ~ Mool Mantra - YouTube

edit: I just looked up references to Guru Nanak and Astral Travel and I literally got shivers! My experiences really were a gift from God! The first time it happened I was only 8 years old... though I didn't know what it was or how to even describe it. IN my teens is when I started to explore what it was... My experiences (I now believe) are truly what drove me to Sikhism from the beginning. (as a side note, it has no happened in quite awhile... :( )

Last edited:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Akasha Ji,

Many experience based episodes brought me back into the real path of Sikhism myself. Sikhism isn't really understood - rather those born into Sikhism, like me, take things for granted and don't really grasp the reality. Rather, we want to fit Sikhism into our own viewpoints picking up those aspects which agree with our standards and discarding those which seem to be a stumbling block to pursue our worldly goals.

Dreams were the first kind of experiences. Apart from that, as a kid, I used to get goose-pimples listening to kirtan. Death of my father brought me into a real soul searching journey. I have opened a thread here called Journey of the Soul - Part 1 and Part 2 and other members have poured in valuable info with references from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

SPN is really a good forum to learn Sikhi from.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM