• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Opinion Nelson Mandela Turns 95

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Today is Nelson Mandela's 95th birthday, a milestone that many of us feared he would never reach. It is a privilege and a blessing to share the planet with such a man. I could put hundreds of links about him, but instead, I'll limit myself to one quote of his from the Larry King Show.

I was called a terrorist yesterday, but when I came out of jail, many people embraced me, including my enemies, and that is what I normally tell other people who say those who are struggling for liberation in their country are terrorists. I tell them that I was also a terrorist yesterday, but, today, I am admired by the very people who said I was one.

He has a special meaning to me because, of all the Causes I have espoused over the years, the very first was anti-Apartheid. A 10 year old girl came across a reference to something in a novel about South Africa that outraged her and, with her Dad's encouragement, decided to do something about it. Many years later, that little girl, well into middle age, watched Nelson Mandela walk out of prison, a free man, at last. She couldn't really see it through the tears in her eyes, tears that are there again, just recalling it.

The last line on the picture is from Simon & Garfunkle's great song, The Boxer.

Attachments

• nelson mandela birthday2.png
    nelson mandela birthday2.png
    115.9 KB · Reads: 228

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM