• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Najib Surprises Sikhs At Vasakhi Celebration

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Najib, who visited the Gurdwara Sahib Tatt Khalsa Diwan in Chow Kit, here, for the first time, made his intentions known only late Monday evening.

“I gave late notice as I did not want any pomp and pageantry. I did not want the red carpet, bunga mangga or kompang.

“I wanted to meet you in a natural way and take part in the daily activities so I can better understand the aspirations and hopes of the Sikh community and all communities.

“I want to show very clearly that this Government stands for all communities, races and religions,” he said in a short speech to those present at the gurdwara.

The crowd cheered when he greeted them by saying, “Sastrikal and Happy Vasakhi Day.”

Najib mingled with members of the community and joined them for breakfast, after taking off his jacket to be more informal.

He even went to the kitchen to meet with the ladies who were preparing food, and even tried his hand at flipping over chappatis.

Najib also met with blood donors at a corner of the hall.

Community members, excited to meet the new Prime Minister, lined up to shake his hand and take photographs.

In his speech, Najib expressed his appreciation and recognition of the Sikh community’s contribution to the country’s development through the years.

He also called on all Malaysians to help one another regardless of race or community, to foster greater unity.

Also present were Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon and Federal Territories Minister Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin.

The gurdwara’s deputy president, Rejinder Singh, said they were honoured by Najib’s visit.

Attachments

• n_04najib.jpg
    n_04najib.jpg
    110.9 KB · Reads: 211

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM