• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Naam And Sacha Naam/Nao

Oct 21, 2009
India
Both Naam and Sacha Naam appear in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I am quoting a Paudi that appears on Ang 312 that contains Sacha/sach Nao etc.

ਪਉੜੀ ॥
Pauree:

ਸਚੁ ਸੁਤਿਆ ਜਿਨੀ ਅਰਾਧਿਆ ਜਾ ਉਠੇ ਤਾ ਸਚੁ ਚਵੇ ॥
Those who dwell upon the True Lord while asleep, utter the True Name when they are awake.

ਸੇ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਜਾਣੀਅਹਿ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਚੁ ਰਵੇ ॥
How rare in the world are those Gurmukhs who dwell upon the True Lord.

ਹਉ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਤਿਨ ਕਉ ਜਿ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਸਚੁ ਲਵੇ ॥ हउ बलिहारी तिन कउ जि अनदिनु सचु लवे ॥ Ha▫o I am a sacrifice to those who chant the True Name, night and day.

ਜਿਨ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਸਚਾ ਭਾਵਦਾ ਸੇ ਸਚੀ ਦਰਗਹ ਗਵੇ ॥The True Lord is pleasing to their minds and bodies; they go to the Court of the True Lord.

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਬੋਲੈ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਚੁ ਸਚਾ ਸਦਾ ਨਵੇ ॥੨੧॥ ||21||
Servant Nanak chants the True Name; truly, the True Lord is forever brand new. ||21|
|
[/SIZE]

There are other Angs where it appears again. The following appears at Ang 349.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=0&k=0&fb=0&Param=349

Aasaa, First Mehl:
ਆਖਾ ਜੀਵਾ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਉ ॥
Chanting the Name, I live; forgetting it, I die.

ਆਖਣਿ ਅਉਖਾ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥
It is so difficult to chant the True Name.

ਸਾਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੈ ਭੂਖ ॥ .
If someone feels hunger for the True Name,

ਤਿਤੁ ਭੂਖੈ ਖਾਇ ਚਲੀਅਹਿ ਦੂਖ ॥੧॥ ||1||
then that hunger shall consume his pains. ||1||

ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਮੇਰੀ ਮਾਇ ॥
So how could I ever forget Him, O my Mother?

ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਾਚੈ ਨਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
True is the Master, and True is His Name. ||1||Pause|

One may refer to the above shabad by following the above link.

1. I could not find the difference between the two. Kindly explain the difference between the two.

2. Further, what is meant by that it is difficult to recite the Sacha Nao as per above Shabad.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Good post !
Got me thinking ..........

I am not too sure if there is a difference between the actual terms but there is a slightly different message in both of these shabads from what I can acknowledge at first glance and contemplation.

Firstly, you question-
....Further, what is meant by that it is difficult to recite the Sacha Nao as per above shabad

My impression is that the ''difficulty' is such, because one needs to have the thirst and hunger for the true name.

<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਆਖਣਿ ਅਉਖਾ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ
Ākẖaṇ a▫ukẖā sācẖā nā▫o.
It is so difficult to chant the True Name.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਸਾਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੈ ਭੂਖ
Sācẖe nām kī lāgai bẖūkẖ.
If someone feels hunger for the True Name,

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਤਿਤੁ ਭੂਖੈ ਖਾਇ ਚਲੀਅਹਿ ਦੂਖ ॥੧॥
Ŧiṯ bẖūkẖai kẖā▫e cẖalī▫ahi ḏūkẖ. ||1||
then that hunger shall consume his pains. ||1||

From the line that follows the quote for 'difficult', is the tuk about the hunger.
Therefore, one has to feel the hunger and longing for the lord to chant the true name and to be really wanting to experience the God-connection.

The first shabad,-
ਸਚੁ ਸੁਤਿਆ ਜਿਨੀ ਅਰਾਧਿਆ ਜਾ ਉਠੇ ਤਾ ਸਚੁ ਚਵੇ ॥
Those who dwell upon the True Lord while asleep, utter the True Name when they are awake.

ਸੇ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਜਾਣੀਅਹਿ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਚੁ ਰਵੇ ॥
How rare in the world are those Gurmukhs who dwell upon the True Lord.
ਹਉ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਤਿਨ ਕਉ ਜਿ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਸਚੁ ਲਵੇ ॥ हउ बलिहारी तिन कउ जि अनदिनु सचु लवे ॥ Ha▫o I am a sacrifice to those who chant the True Name, night and day.
ਜਿਨ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਸਚਾ ਭਾਵਦਾ ਸੇ ਸਚੀ ਦਰਗਹ ਗਵੇ ॥The True Lord is pleasing to their minds and bodies; they go to the Court of the True Lord.
ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਬੋਲੈ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਚੁ ਸਚਾ ਸਦਾ ਨਵੇ ॥੨੧॥ ||21||
Servant Nanak chants the True Name; truly, the True Lord is forever brand new.

Here, it is saying the one who utters the name whilst asleep is doing so because of the uttering in the DAY. In this case the HUNGER is also there BOTH DAY and NIGHT.
Whilst asleep, it is our subconscious that manifests in the form of dreams and thought.
When one is CONSCIOUSLY uttering the naam WITH thirst and Hunger, then the One also ends up uttering whilst asleep via the SUBCONSCIOUS.

The last tuk mentions that the true name of the Lord is Forever BRAND NEW !!
Day and night can be used as metaphors for time like, young years-older years..dark-light...etc
But it doesn't matter what metaphor of time you want to use because even literally, it is saying that because the uttering happens BOTH day and night, then the night never gets old even when it's day. OR the day never gets old even when it's night.

We all say last night or the other night, the other day....when talking about something in the past or something that is Now OLD news.
BUT, if the uttering happens BOTH day and night such that no duality is ever sensed at sunrise/sunset, then the Name of the Lord uttered will ALWAYS remain Brand NEW!. It never becomes OLD news !

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM