• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Musical Instruments

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Can anybody tell me the name of that air pumped keyboard used in the Sikh musical gatherings? I've played accordion all my life in Irish and Cajun bands and that thing is almost the same instrument!

Gotta get one -- now. :up:

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Thank you! I think I'm going to get one and start playing. But I don't know if I could sing the hymns in English... would that be acceptable?

I just ordered a beautiful CD called Grace. I think this lady is an American Sikh... can't remember her name now. Are you familiar with her music?

*any musicians in the room?

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Thank you! I think I'm going to get one and start playing. But I don't know if I could sing the hymns in English... would that be acceptable?

I just ordered a beautiful CD called Grace. I think this lady is an American Sikh... can't remember her name now. Are you familiar with her music?

*any musicians in the room?
Snatam Kaur, Yes i am familair with her. She has a beautiful voice.

Singing them in english is fine. (I'd love to hear recordings someday!)

Just so you are aware, some of the words she sings can also be found in hinduism, just so that you know - she is not 100% Sikh, and all practices kundalini yoga.

Some people take this negatively, so in case you hear some fuss (you probably won;t though) that's what it's all about. I say to not worry about it, and enjoy the kirtan (music) ! :up:

You can also find books and videos on playing kirtan... Such a book/series would be:

learnkirtan.com

The effectiveness of the program was shown by the creator of the book teaching 5-7 year old kids how topl;ay harmonium and sing in raags, practically effortlessly. I do not have this book, but from the looks of it, it appears to be very good - That and it has a book, audio CD, AND a video for you to use. Not only can you read about what your supposed to be doing, you can SEE IT, and then also just hear it by an Audio CD whnever you wanna practice, without putting in a video CD!

For me, as a guitar player - Something like this would have me hooked, for ANY instrument.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Listening to these chants and this music gives me the most profound feeling of deja vous I think I've ever had. I have no idea what the words are but I sure do know what they mean.
I can't even explain what it's like to be born and raised in fundamentalist Christianity and to be longing so deeply to find a deeper connection with God and then to find Sikhism. It's something like a person feels when they've had nothing but losers in their life and then late in their years they meet someone who is everything they had ever dreamed of but had given up hope of ever finding. It's like I'm a little bit afraid to turn the next page because I know it will be more evidence that it's what I've been missing. I've started wondering what I could have done with my life if I had of found Sikhism when I was younger.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM