• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Most Influential Sikhs in History? plz add to list.

• Dr. Manmohan Singh

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Baba Deep Singh

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Banda Singh Bahadur

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Maharaja Ranjit Singh

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Prof Sahib Singh

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Bhagat Puran Singh

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Baba Budhha

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Sant Jarnail Singh

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Master Tara Singh

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Bhai Gurdas

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Bhai Mani Singh

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Sardar Baghel Singh

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Bhai Veer Singh

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Bhai Kanihiya Ji

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Shaheed Bhagat Singh

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Shaheed Udham Singh

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Re: Most Influential Sikhs in History and Why? Plz Add to List

i would like to add the name of bhai kahnia ji who saw God in every human being. He was the starter of Red cross. Sewa Panthi sect of bhai Knhia is doing a tremendous service.manas ki jat sabhe eke pahichanbo was the message of Guru Gobind singh ji who lived this message.

Thanks Mahabir Singh ji for bringing Ghaya Ji in discussion. Doubtless, he proved how great Guru Message was and lived Guru advice even through odd times. He has been inspiration for numerous Sikhs. His contribution is great. I myself wonder why he didnt come to my mind, I felt bad. Thanks a lot.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN

Dear all, the names in the poll are not all inclusive... the list will grow as we move on... as we announced this poll lead us to open a new section dedicated to Sikh heros in all streams...

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia

pk70 ji ssakal.
it is just that i am connected with sewa panthi saints & i know the valuable contribution of bhai Kanhia ji that i suggested his name. Mahant Tirath Singh ji of Guniana Mandi, tikana bhai Jagta ji did a wonerful job in persuading indian govt. to release commemorative postal stamp of Bhai Kahnaia ji.
If the whole sikh community can do what Bhai Kahnaia ji did we can coquer the world with love.
There will be no more mistaken identities. Our unique i,d will earn respect from all over the world.
problem is that we do not tell the world what sikhs did. Let us not sit on our laurel but do more than our forefathers. Our children will be proud to call themselves as a proud sikh.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

today I was able to post the second post of the series I'm hoping to put regarding the Bhagats of Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji . I have made post regarding Bhagat Bhikham Ji.

Navjeet ji

That is really wonderful! Great to have some more brains and hearts ticking in the online course.

Antonia

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN

Kudos Navjeet Singh Ji,

Dear all, please spread the word about the course in your circle... in facebook, on orkut, on ning, on friendster... on sikhi groups!!

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

pk70 ji ssakal.
it is just that i am connected with sewa panthi saints & i know the valuable contribution of bhai Kanhia ji that i suggested his name. Mahant Tirath Singh ji of Guniana Mandi, tikana bhai Jagta ji did a wonerful job in persuading indian govt. to release commemorative postal stamp of Bhai Kahnaia ji.
If the whole sikh community can do what Bhai Kahnaia ji did we can coquer the world with love.
There will be no more mistaken identities. Our unique i,d will earn respect from all over the world.
problem is that we do not tell the world what sikhs did. Let us not sit on our laurel but do more than our forefathers. Our children will be proud to call themselves as a proud sikh.

Sat Sree Akaal Mahabir Singh ji.
Wonderful views based on a fact practiced by Sree Ghanaeea ji under the supervision of our Glorious Guru. That is what now needed to be promoted by the Sikhs, Late Bhagat Puran Singh Ji did it in a big way but Guru Golak is being used for a while more for selfish purposes than on Bhagat ji 's lagenday service. I agree with you hundred percent.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

After much deliberation I have gone for the one and only Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa.

Why?

1) He represented the Sikh ideal magnificently.
2) He died a heroes death (although there is some mystery to it).
3) The way he is supposed to have carried and conducted himself.
4) He carried out his duty without question.
5) He faced and defeated and opposition which the Coalition forces of today are having trouble with (maybe USA and UK can learn something).

NavjeetSingh

SPNer
Jan 1, 2009
Chandigarh

Kudos Navjeet Singh Ji,

Dear all, please spread the word about the course in your circle... in facebook, on orkut, on ning, on friendster... on sikhi groups!!

I will definitely try to do so. I'm planning to create a pdf report of the history of Bhagats of SGGS. and put it for download. It will take time. but I'll manage to do so by the end of April and release the pdf in the first week of May.

Jun 1, 2008

After much deliberation I have gone for the one and only Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa.

Why?

1) He represented the Sikh ideal magnificently.
2) He died a heroes death (although there is some mystery to it).
3) The way he is supposed to have carried and conducted himself.
4) He carried out his duty without question.
5) He faced and defeated and opposition which the Coalition forces of today are having trouble with (maybe USA and UK can learn something).

and what about the 6th reason the fact that he was a khatri of uppal clan never mind i was the one to name him.

can i add a new name to the list Sardar Bhagat Singh Sandhu.

Kurious Kaur

SPNer
Aug 9, 2015
Considering we pride ourselves on our equality, I find it very disappointing only one Sikh woman has been mentioned so far, considering the massive sacrifices women have made and their contribution also being great. But no matter, I'll add my own:

1) Mata Khivi Ji - even written about in the SGGS, she started the institution of langar, and welcomed anyone and everyone with absolutely no exceptions into her darbar, and never complained. Something we should all be aiming for
2) Mai Bhago Ji - leading back the chali mukhte, becoming a bodyguard of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, being a massive inspiration to women everywhere, and a true sant siphai
3) Mata Gujri Ji - The wife of one guru, themother of another and the grandmother of the char sahibzaade. She was with the two younger sahbizaade before their martydom and a source of strength for them. She did everything she could to protect them and led by example.
4) Rani Sada Kaur - the mother in law of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. She fought by his side in battle, she advised on battle plans and she had strong diplomatic skills. I would say that a fair amount of the building up of the Sikh empire can be attributed to her.
5) Mata Susheel Kaur = the wife of Banda Singh Bahadur. She too fought by his side in battle, encouraged him to follow his Sikhi and be the sant sipahi he was. She was a strength to all those around her, tp her very last days, where she never gave up her faith despite having Sikhs tortured in front of her, having her baby killed in front of her and wearing a necklace of her baby's limbs.

I have named but a few of the great women of Sikhism, who have contributed so much, influenced so many and yet and credited by so few. I hope others can add to it. I apologise if I've made any mistakes.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Influence is mainly due to service rendered by Sikh persons, Service Value means sarbat da bala.

Service not self centered but for benefit of all. And which may not have benefit to them at all.

Spiritual Service

Spiritual Warriors

Shaheed Bhagat Singh
Shaheed Udham singh

Political Service
Maharaja Ranjeet Singh

Sports and Athletics
Milkha Singh

Martial Service
S Hari Singh Nalwa
SBanda Bahadur
S Nawab Kapur Singh

Administration Service

Environmental Service

Medical Service

Engineering Service

Economy and Audit Services

Dr Manmohan Singh

Research

Social Service

Bhagat Puran Singh

Education Service

Heritage and Preservation Services

Art Craft and Music

Travel and.Logistic serviced

It will help in inheritance of Sikh Culture and values.
Hope to mentioned all core services.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
Nawab Kapoor singh. Who took over the command of sikhs after banda bahadur and he led the sikhs agains Ahmad shah abdali and he is the cause of creating sikh misils and that led to creating sikh kingdom of Maharaj Ranjit singh.

Sikhilove1

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2019
Considering we pride ourselves on our equality, I find it very disappointing only one Sikh woman has been mentioned so far, considering the massive sacrifices women have made and their contribution also being great. But no matter, I'll add my own:

1) Mata Khivi Ji - even written about in the SGGS, she started the institution of langar, and welcomed anyone and everyone with absolutely no exceptions into her darbar, and never complained. Something we should all be aiming for
2) Mai Bhago Ji - leading back the chali mukhte, becoming a bodyguard of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, being a massive inspiration to women everywhere, and a true sant siphai
3) Mata Gujri Ji - The wife of one guru, themother of another and the grandmother of the char sahibzaade. She was with the two younger sahbizaade before their martydom and a source of strength for them. She did everything she could to protect them and led by example.
4) Rani Sada Kaur - the mother in law of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. She fought by his side in battle, she advised on battle plans and she had strong diplomatic skills. I would say that a fair amount of the building up of the Sikh empire can be attributed to her.
5) Mata Susheel Kaur = the wife of Banda Singh Bahadur. She too fought by his side in battle, encouraged him to follow his Sikhi and be the sant sipahi he was. She was a strength to all those around her, tp her very last days, where she never gave up her faith despite having Sikhs tortured in front of her, having her baby killed in front of her and wearing a necklace of her baby's limbs.

I have named but a few of the great women of Sikhism, who have contributed so much, influenced so many and yet and credited by so few. I hope others can add to it. I apologise if I've made any mistakes.
Haha I loved this. Very very true.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: