• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Mona And Sehajdhari

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
does anyone not calling me a non sikh make me a non sikh ?

does anyone calling a muslim, a non muslim make him one ?

it does not

simple thought will easily distinguish that real religion is a personal matter of a person and is inside...

:)
this is what is say to all who set definitions of who is a sikh and who isn't:

you may call me a non sikh, a kaffir anything you like....

but i know and i will remain a sikh indeed "in deed" :)

badmash

SPNer
Jan 25, 2007
I find identifying who is and not a sikh a laughable idea. Whoever says they are sikh, they are. As for Jats and casts, excerpt from Khuswant Singh's History of the Sikhs, Volume 1, page 15.

"The Jat's spirit of freeom and equality refused to submit to Brahmanical Hinduism and in its turn drew the censure of the privileged Brahmins of the Gangetic plains who prnounced that "no Aryan should stay in the Punjab for even two days" because the Punjabis refused to obey the priests. The upper caste Hindu's denigration of the Jat did not in the least lower the Jat in his own eyes nor elevate the Brahmin or the Kshatriya in the Jat's estimation. On the contrary, he assumed a somewhat condescending attitude towards the Brahmin, whom he considered little better than a soothsayer or a beggar, or the Kshatriya, who disdained earning an honest living and was proud of being a mercenary. The Jat was born the worker and the warrior. He tilled his land with his sword girded round his waist. He fourght more battles for the defeence of his homestead than the Kshatriya, for unlike the martial Kshatriya the Jat seldom feld from his village when the invaders came. And if the Jat was maltreated or if his women were molested by the conqueror on his way to Hindustan, he settled his score by looting the invaders' caravans on their return journey and freeing the women he was taking back. The Punjabi Jat developed an attitude of indifference to worldly possessions and an instinct for gambling with his life against the odds. At the same time he became conscious of his role in the defence of Hindustan. His band of patriotism was at once hostile towards the foreginer and benign, even contemptuous, towards his own countrymen whose fate depended so much on his courage and fortitude.":thumbup: :wink: :wah:

badmash

SPNer
Jan 25, 2007
Keep on laughing. Have you done more for sikhism? I do not care if Khuswant Singh is a womanizing, corrupt lout. I still admire him for his scholarship and contributions. The quote stands on its own. As for laughing, keep laughing and watch the sikh quom decline. Who will have the last laugh, some dude doing sukhmani sahib all alone by himself? It is still tragic. Point again being --- the commonalities should be stressed. Any philana with and IQ sufficient to post can disagree. And again, what is the point of rhetoricism in this topic. No one is actually right, it is all PERSPECTIVE and THE WAY YOU LOOK AT IT.

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
I find identifying who is and not a sikh a laughable idea. Whoever says they are sikh, they are. As for Jats and casts, excerpt from Khuswant Singh's History of the Sikhs, Volume 1, page 15.

"The Jat's spirit of freeom and equality refused to submit to Brahmanical Hinduism and in its turn drew the censure of the privileged Brahmins of the Gangetic plains who prnounced that "no Aryan should stay in the Punjab for even two days" because the Punjabis refused to obey the priests. The upper caste Hindu's denigration of the Jat did not in the least lower the Jat in his own eyes nor elevate the Brahmin or the Kshatriya in the Jat's estimation. On the contrary, he assumed a somewhat condescending attitude towards the Brahmin, whom he considered little better than a soothsayer or a beggar, or the Kshatriya, who disdained earning an honest living and was proud of being a mercenary. The Jat was born the worker and the warrior. He tilled his land with his sword girded round his waist. He fourght more battles for the defeence of his homestead than the Kshatriya, for unlike the martial Kshatriya the Jat seldom feld from his village when the invaders came. And if the Jat was maltreated or if his women were molested by the conqueror on his way to Hindustan, he settled his score by looting the invaders' caravans on their return journey and freeing the women he was taking back. The Punjabi Jat developed an attitude of indifference to worldly possessions and an instinct for gambling with his life against the odds. At the same time he became conscious of his role in the defence of Hindustan. His band of patriotism was at once hostile towards the foreginer and benign, even contemptuous, towards his own countrymen whose fate depended so much on his courage and fortitude.":thumbup: :wink: :wah:

NICE! Thanks for posting this quote. :up:

muneet

SPNer
Aug 22, 2005
India, Port Blair
Sikhi has evolved over the ten Gurus. Final uniform and rehat was given after the display by us all, of cowardice in Chandni Chowk during the assassination of Guru Teg Bahadur. Final touches - from chidis to Baaj transformation occured in 1699 when sikhs were exhorted to take amrit- only five out of thousands were guru ka sikh then- what you all talk now!!
We all must take a holistic view- beyond a stage everyone is at a different level of his /her religion. Yes the Panth is one but each panthi is not at same level of intellect/ spirituality.
Religion is but a primer to help us all on the path to finding the Mysterious One. Like the Saturn rocket discards its boosters and gantry once it has sufficient power and momentum towards its goal- after a certain stage of looking inwards what is the need to judge and evaluate others ?

Jan 30, 2005
This discussion has taken place before but in case you have forgotten one who follows hukam of Guru Sahib is a Sikh. By merely calling myself a Sikh and not following rehat (amrit vela, nitnem etc) I will not be one and neither will anyone else. Rehat defines a Sikh not your manmat.

Veeru

SPNer
Jun 27, 2004
This discussion has taken place before but in case you have forgotten one who follows hukam of Guru Sahib is a Sikh. By merely calling myself a Sikh and not following rehat (amrit vela, nitnem etc) I will not be one and neither will anyone else. Rehat defines a Sikh not your manmat.

A Sikh is the one who seeks the ultimate Truth. It has been discussed before that so-called Rehat Maryada is man-made and is not word of God, unlike Guru Granth Sahib. Therefore, you will never be able to realize Truth following the man-made Rehat Maryada, thus you fail to be a Sikh.

Jan 30, 2005
Provide reference from Gurbani to back up your definition. I have already provided quotes from Gurbani to prove my point. Rehat had existed long before 1925 which can be found in Vaars and Bhai Nand Singh Ji's work which are approved by Guru Sahib. There are other sources but I rather not go into that. "Guru Bin Mukat Na Hoyee".

Nov 29, 2006
Yes very true , Guru Bina Mukat Na hoyee
Provide reference from Gurbani to back up your definition. I have already provided quotes from Gurbani to prove my point. Rehat had existed long before 1925 which can be found in Vaars and Bhai Nand Singh Ji's work which are approved by Guru Sahib. There are other sources but I rather not go into that. "Guru Bin Mukat Na Hoyee".

Veeru

SPNer
Jun 27, 2004

This has to be goal of every religion, to seek the ultimate truth. Don't you seek the ultimate truth? The bottom line is that none of the so-called Rehat Maryadas were written by any of the gurus. Therefore following man-made Rehat Maryadas, you can not say that you are following guru or with guru.

"Guru Bin Mukat Na Hoyee".

Except when God helps someone Himself as he did to Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Did Guru Nanak Dev Ji have any guru?

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
your comparison of a sikh and president of USA is utterly laughable...i really found it hard to control myself ...apologies for being rude ...hahaha

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM