• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Mona And Sehajdhari

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
I personally believe that many people that think of themselves as Sikh, keep their hair, go to the gurdwara, and walk around with a kirpan, yet don't follow the true sikh path and do the actualy things the guru told us to do aren't even true Sikhs. A sikh is a person who has taken Amrit, vowed to follow the Gursikh path, and lived by the guru's teachings only. No one else is a true Sikh.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I am confused about these people. Do Sikhs classify these people as Sikhs or not? What do people here think about them?

----------------------------------------

dear jatt

just like there are different types of muslims,hindu,s there are different types of sikhs.orthodox sikhs beleive that a person should atleast keep hair for being a sikh.while there are liberal sikhs who accept sehajdhari's as sikhs
so there are different point of view regarding mona/sehajdhari sikhs.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Muslims christians, hindus...of all religions ONLY SIKHISM is Named after the FOLLOWERS..and NOT the Founders/Prophets etc.
1. For Formality a SIKH as defined in the SRM or Code of conduct is One who beleives in the ten Gurus, the SGGS, Guru Gobind Singh jis Amrit of Khanda Batta..AND DOES NOT beleive in any other religion/prophet etc.
So these are stages....To begin with One MUST RELINQUISH ones beleif in any other religion...than begin to walk along the Path of Gurmatt begun by Guru nanak ji and ending with SGGS...and after this one is expected to chhak Khandey batte dee Pahul and be initiated into the KHALSA..apex of Sikhi.

2. Important:..One who has NOT chhak Amrit/Pahul..is NOT a PATIT. A PATIT is ONE who has Chhak Pahul and then BROKE it by committing one or more of the Four Bajjar Kurehits. So any mona is not automatically a Patit. A Patit may have long hair, kirpan, etc BUT slept with someone not his wife/husband..then he/she is a PATIT..or he may have smoked Tobacco, taken drugs..or eaten Hallal meat...he/she is a PATIT inspite of having all the panj kakars !!! I have seen many "amritdharees" going around calling all monas as patits... WRONG MOVE.

Gyani jarnail Singh

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
I personally believe that many people that think of themselves as Sikh, keep their hair, go to the gurdwara, and walk around with a kirpan, yet don't follow the true sikh path and do the actualy things the guru told us to do aren't even true Sikhs. A sikh is a person who has taken Amrit, vowed to follow the Gursikh path, and lived by the guru's teachings only. No one else is a true Sikh.

The argument isn't about who is a "true" Sikh. The issue is about if Mona and Sehajdhari have the rights to call themselves as Sikhs or not. Besides, using your definition, there isn't many Sikhs in this world at all. But again, there are hardly any people in this world who follow their religion perfectly.

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
dear jatt

just like there are different types of muslims,hindu,s there are different types of sikhs.orthodox sikhs beleive that a person should atleast keep hair for being a sikh.while there are liberal sikhs who accept sehajdhari's as sikhs
so there are different point of view regarding mona/sehajdhari sikhs.

Oh I see...

I guess this conflict will never be solved.

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Muslims christians, hindus...of all religions ONLY SIKHISM is Named after the FOLLOWERS..and NOT the Founders/Prophets etc.
1. For Formality a SIKH as defined in the SRM or Code of conduct is One who beleives in the ten Gurus, the SGGS, Guru Gobind Singh jis Amrit of Khanda Batta..AND DOES NOT beleive in any other religion/prophet etc.
So these are stages....To begin with One MUST RELINQUISH ones beleif in any other religion...than begin to walk along the Path of Gurmatt begun by Guru nanak ji and ending with SGGS...and after this one is expected to chhak Khandey batte dee Pahul and be initiated into the KHALSA..apex of Sikhi.

2. Important:..One who has NOT chhak Amrit/Pahul..is NOT a PATIT. A PATIT is ONE who has Chhak Pahul and then BROKE it by committing one or more of the Four Bajjar Kurehits. So any mona is not automatically a Patit. A Patit may have long hair, kirpan, etc BUT slept with someone not his wife/husband..then he/she is a PATIT..or he may have smoked Tobacco, taken drugs..or eaten Hallal meat...he/she is a PATIT inspite of having all the panj kakars !!! I have seen many "amritdharees" going around calling all monas as patits... WRONG MOVE.

Gyani jarnail Singh

Thanks for your input.

But keep in mind that not all Sikhs follow the SGPC Rehat Maryada. Every jatha have their own rehat maryada.

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Oh yeah, I like to point out that I am not only asking if Mona and Sehajdhari can call themselves Sikhs spiritually, but I am also asking if they can call themselves Sikhs politically and socially as well.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Oh yeah, I like to point out that I am not only asking if Mona and Sehajdhari can call themselves Sikhs spiritually, but I am also asking if they can call themselves Sikhs politically and socially as well.

politically and socially there is no restriction on mona/sehajdhari's being called as sikhs.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<Muslims christians, hindus...of all religions ONLY SIKHISM is Named after the FOLLOWERS..and NOT the Founders/Prophets etc.>>

correction Gyani ji

hinduism has nothing to do with any prophets....

Muslims - religion known as Islam is also not named after Muhammed

christianity.. yes

buddhism - yes

:)

<<politically and socially there is no restriction on mona/sehajdhari's being called as sikhs.>>

KDS ji, i differ on this point, Non Khalsa (wouldn't call them Monas/Sehajdharis - it is being used by many to signify different thought stream from Khalsa) are not allowed to lead SIKH gatherings.... or vote in SGPC elections, or even stand for elections...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
amarsanghera ji

in the census of sikh population any person who calls himself as sikh
is counted as sikh irrespective of whether he keeps hair or not so how could you say that politically sehajdharis cannot call themselves.as far as religious gatherings are concerned only those people are allowed to lead gatherings
which are acceptable and for many orthodox sikhs sehajdhari's are not acceptable

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
hinduism is not even a religion....so many KROR devtas,,sects..gods goddesses,no two hindus are the same...new devtas and devis created as we go along..latest is Jayalalitha the tamil film actress who has aMandir dedicated to her.
Islam may not be named after Mohammed ( the name mohammedanism never took off) but it isnt named after MUSLIMS either..so that leaves ONLY SIKHISM.....others i left out are Bahaism, Zoroastriansim..Taoism.Confucionism...Shintoism..all anmed after founders..

Thanks for input
Gyani jarnail Singh

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I am confused about these people. Do Sikhs classify these people as Sikhs or not? What do people here think about them?

I think of Sehajhdhari's as those people that are like graduates ....those with a degree.....they have knowledge of Sikh teaching.....some very deep knowledge. I think of Amritdhari's as Post Graduates.....those with Masters Degree's........and have Mastered themselves in this particular field..........both striving to reach Doctorates (Gurmukh).

All are Sikh.

Alas however, this picture can be complecated by the fact that some people can Graduate from duff Universities.........alas there are many Sant/Jatha movements that represent these duff movements. Also some have got through by cheating their way.

Thats the way I understand it anyway.

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
I think of Sehajhdhari's as those people that are like graduates ....those with a degree.....they have knowledge of Sikh teaching.....some very deep knowledge. I think of Amritdhari's as Post Graduates.....those with Masters Degree's........and have Mastered themselves in this particular field..........both striving to reach Doctorates (Gurmukh).

All are Sikh.

Alas however, this picture can be complecated by the fact that some people can Graduate from duff Universities.........alas there are many Sant/Jatha movements that represent these duff movements. Also some have got through by cheating their way.

Thats the way I understand it anyway.

Yeah, I have noticed that. I personally don't like these jathas because they just make Sikhi more complicated to the average person. Some of their beliefs kind of goes against the basic Sikh beliefs.

Dec 2, 2006
<Muslims christians, hindus...of all religions ONLY SIKHISM is Named after the FOLLOWERS..and NOT the Founders/Prophets etc.>>

correction Gyani ji

hinduism has nothing to do with any prophets....

Muslims - religion known as Islam is also not named after Muhammed

christianity.. yes

buddhism - yes

:)

<<politically and socially there is no restriction on mona/sehajdhari's being called as sikhs.>>

KDS ji, i differ on this point, Non Khalsa (wouldn't call them Monas/Sehajdharis - it is being used by many to signify different thought stream from Khalsa) are not allowed to lead SIKH gatherings.... or vote in SGPC elections, or even stand for elections...
yeah i support this guy too... there is discrimination shown... cuz one is not considered a sikh widout being physically complete to be called a sikh. so, differences are shown to him or her...

sikh78910

SPNer
Oct 10, 2006
Mona and Sehajdhari I am confused about these people. Do Sikhs classify these people as Sikhs or not? What do people here think about them?
they are definitly classified as sikhs. I dont believe that people who consume alcohol or take drugs should be considered sikhs though, hair should not even be an issue as it is not one of the five sins, cutting hair is a personal choice which will affect u in terms of salvation inevitably, as u are meant to grow it, for Spiritual reasons of course, retention of energy and better ability to meditate etc. however people these days keepit for all the wrong reasons which lead to ego and pride, two of the five sins. and then there is still the issue that manyyy moneh are far more spiritually advanced than many amritdaris so it is only really the outer appearance that leads them to be unfairly judged.......I myself have kept hair but i never discriminate against sikhs without kept hair as it is their choice and they will have to deal with it whatever it may be, if anything at all!

Jan 30, 2005
A Sikh follows rehat of Guru Sahib which is to take Amrit, get naam, do Amrit vela and stay away from bajjar kurehats. Rehat also includes keeping hair. Hence in Sikhi, keeping hair is not optional but a requirement. Those who don't follow rehat are not Sikhs.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: