• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Misrepresentation Of Gurbani And The Sikh Religion By Vested Interests

Harinaam

SPNer
May 8, 2009
We rae fortunate that the "Shabd" in original form to which GURU connected to all the SIKHS is still can be seen read and ecited in original form therefore I do not agree to the writer's view other than the fact that those who attach too much credence to so called sikh scholars for their interpretations and misguided views intead of of NIRMOL GURBANI" get into the trap of Bipran Ki Reet. Sikhi is very simple no discussions Katha or stories just stick to Shabd Naam Simran and if mind is not able to come into control try Kirtan of shudh Baan straight from SGGS.

I do not give any credence to any Kathakaraks or so called naulvis of Sikhism who by wearing Bana assume some kind of superiorism and claim to Thekedaar of the Skhism. Reject them all Guru Nanak gave all Sikhs a freedom and responsibility to attain the ultimate goal of lefe by self practicing not by preaching self practice o others.

I wish those who preach shut themselves and practice so that they without uttering aword to othes can be seen an exaple of being a Sikh by their good deeds as Guru Nanak says.

"aap na kare avar updeshe, aavey jaavey janmey mare"

Just recite bani i original form or translate the Bani in its original form do not attach your own concoted interpretations or examples Leave that part to the reader or listener to learn in Sahaj way in his own mind as his own Haumein washes down and simran elevates his intellect to connect to the ONE why you wish others to understand Gurbani the way you understand you can be wrong too. Gurbani Vichar is not a matter of debating Gurbani with others and trying to prove that my understanding superior to others. Guru has given Shabd for all intellects and any Shabd which triggers and switch on the light is the Shabd for you some may only recite Waheguru and are complete with that some do hundreds of Akhand Paths are not near to 1st class students. One word is enough to know HIm stop preaching start Reciting Simran that is the ultimate other is just kind of EGO building.

May Waheguru give us all understanding to understand what Guru Nanak sayeth.
Harnaam

asdhillon

SPNer
May 21, 2009
Amritsar
Prof Devinder Singh Chahal, PhD, of Canada, the proponent of his Nanakian concept of Sikh Philosophy and the author of the book Understanding Sikhism, has the following to say:

Introduction
Guru Nanak (1469-1539) laid the foundation of Sikhi (Sikhism) during the 15th century, the Period of Renaissance (between 14th and 17th century) when the scientists were challenging some of the concepts of the Church in Europe. During this period Guru Nanak was busy in challenging the ancient mythology and rituals in which the peoples of South Asia were shackled for centuries. I am proud to claim that it was Guru Nanak who promulgated a scientific and logical philosophy during the 15th century for the world to create a sense of morality to establish peace on this earth. The irony is that after five centuries if we examine the effect of teachings of Guru Nanak on humanity in general and on the Sikhs in particular, it will not be difficult to come to the conclusion that what the Sikhs are doing today is exactly contrary to the Nanakian Philosophy .

Causes
It happened so because of the absence of preaching of Gurbani and Sikhism in their real perspective by the so-called custodians of Sikhism after the end of era of the Sikh Gurus in 1708. After the time of Banda Bahadur majority of the Sikhs were living in the forests and during this period preaching of Gurbani and Sikhism, and control of the Sikh institutions fell into the hands of the Biprans (Who work against the Nanakian Philosophy). This situation continued to be in the same state even during the reign of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and thereafter. During the Singh Sabha Movement some attempts were made to interpret Gurbani and represent Sikhism in their real perspective by some dedicated Sikh scholars. Soon this movement was taken over by the Sikh scholars who were heavily burdened with the ancient philosophy, mythology and Bipreet (Ritualism or practices which are contrary to the Nanakian Philosophy). During this period the use of discriminating intellect (Babaek Budhi) to find the truth was discouraged and was declared as sin by the Biprans. It is still happening so during the Age of Science...

If an enlightened person like Dr. Chahal can get confused what can you expect from the ordinary Sikhs. Marx had aptly said that religion is the opiate of the masses which is exploited by the rulers to achieve their ends. Like all other religions, Sikhism too has been exploited by the power and pelf hungry rulers and clerics by according meanings and interpretations to gurbani as had suited them. In the 'Introduction', Chahal gives full credit to the propagation of a very modern, cosmopolitan and enlightened Sikhism to Guru Nanak only. He has named his understanding of Sikhism as 'Nanakian Philosophy', yet, as can be sensed from 'Causes' above, and as I know personally, he too toes the 'Akali' version of radical Sikhism fast progressing towards Talibanisation. None before has misrepresented and twisted Sikh Philosophy and Practices as has been done by the Akali politicians and their paid Sikh clergy ever since Master Tara Singh for the sake of power and pelf. They have been interpreting gurbani and Sikh history to ensure that their hold on Sikh institutions, incomes and properties remain unchallanged.

In my next post, I shall give my reasons too. For unavoidable reasons, I have to close now.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
asdhillon ji

Your comments above truly fascinate me and also speak to an area of understanding where my knowledge is weak. So I wonder if you would just say a little more about 2 comments. Would you elaborate?

1. he (Chahal) too toes the 'Akali' version of radical Sikhism fast progressing towards Talibanisation. What is meant by the Akali version of radical Sikhism. What do you believe Dr. Chahal means by Akali Sikhism? Is he referring to the politics of Akali Dal? What makes it radical? Why is it progressing toward Talibanization?

2. None before has misrepresented and twisted Sikh Philosophy and Practices as has been done by the Akali politicians and their paid Sikh clergy ever since Master Tara Singh for the sake of power and pelf. Would you say a little more about how Sikhi has been twisted by the politicians and their paid Sikh clergy.

Thank you so much.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: