• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Mind Your Language. Haha

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Okay, I am really confused.

I want to be able to understand Sri Guru Granth Sahib... which language do I learn? Apparently not Punjabi. I'm so confused.

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Ish.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Punjabi language is written in Gurmukhi script.

But then, today's punjabi has deviated from Punjabi 500 years ago. Why not, just look at some Punjabi to English dictionary, if that serves your purpose.

Regards.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Ishna

Apparently not Punjabi

You might be correct in saying so , but still the script of Gurur Garanth sahib is in Punjabi ( Gurmukhi Script )

Language of GUru Grath sahib Includes Punjabi ( upto 800 years old version ) F{censored}e ( Persion ) Sanskrit and also someother languages related to parts of UP and Bihar State in India .

So it is not very simple to say which language but learning Punjabi script would be good start .and then you can read translations as well in English

Thanks

Jatinder Singh

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
I think Guru Granth contains words from 26 different languages. Its best if you can read punjabi, that doesn't mean you will fully understand Guru Granth saheb- for that Gurmukhi to present day punjabi translation is required. All this is available in SIKHNET - Sikh Religion - Sikhism Information.

Guru Granth is unique its written in poetic form, just like a song, a poem from one language can't be translated to another only the meaning or what they are on about can be captued, the same rule applies. So if you really wanna admire what is written then learn punjabi. its worth it. if you can't then plenty of translation are available on that site and translation of daily hukumnamas etc.

DragonKhanda

SPNer
Mar 17, 2006
Chicago
I dont suppose there is link somewhere here to expand your knowledge of punjabi?
Any online dictionaries?

Oops sorry -- I upped my PC so I can see the links. ;)
Thanks for the link!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM