• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meditation

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
3.Meditation
Simran: The Path of Awakening our True Self
Dr. S. S. Sodhi*

* 22 Woodbank Tr. Halifax, NS Canada.B3 M3 K4
The writer of the article taught at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

-kindly Google out-

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I think, quiet time, meditation, solatary time, reflection time, whatever people want to call it, i.e. an invetory of ones deeds and actions and asking Waheguru to help you against the 5 thieves for that day is benficial.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Meditation: Call of the Divine
Gajindar Singh*

* 2983, Sector 61, Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar. 160 062. (Punjab).

-kindly Google out-

Last edited:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Sikh 80 ji

These are good articles but for ordinary people it is hard to do all that. For the beginners like me, analyzing our deeds in context of Hukamnama we take every day( and Gurbani we recite every day). I think it will be better to improve ourselves this way in stead of trying meditation in the beginning. Just sharing my views in context of meditation.

Apr 4, 2007
Sikh 80 ji

These are good articles but for ordinary people it is hard to do all that. For the beginners like me, analyzing our deeds in context of Hukamnama we take every day( and Gurbani we recite every day). I think it will be better to improve ourselves this way in stead of trying meditation in the beginning. Just sharing my views in context of meditation.

in my limited understanding, meditation is a core component of sikh life. it seems to me that "leaving it for later" would not be in harmony with Guru sahib's teachings.

sorry if i've misunderstood something.

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥
Sirīrāg mehlā 3.
Siree Raag, Third Mehl:

ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥
Sukẖ sāgar har nām hai gurmukẖ pā*i*ā jā*ė.
The Name of the Lord is the Ocean of Peace; the Gurmukhs obtain it.

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਸਹਜੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥
An*ḏin nām ḏẖi*ā*ī*ai sehjė nām samā*ė.
Meditating on the Naam, night and day, they are easily and intuitively absorbed in the Naam.

ਅੰਦਰੁ ਰਚੈ ਹਰਿ ਸਚ ਸਿਉ ਰਸਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਇ ॥੧॥
Anḏar racẖai har sacẖ si*o rasnā har guṇ gā*ė. ||1||
Their inner beings are immersed in the True Lord; they sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||1||

ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ਜਗੁ ਦੁਖੀਆ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ॥
Bẖā*ī rė jag ḏukẖī*ā ḏūjai bẖā*ė.
O Siblings of Destiny, the world is in misery, engrossed in the love of duality.

ਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਸੁਖੁ ਲਹਹਿ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Gur sarṇā*ī sukẖ laheh an*ḏin nām ḏẖi*ā*ė. ||1|| rahā*o.
In the Sanctuary of the Guru, peace is found, meditating on the Naam night and day. ||1||Pause||

ਸਾਚੇ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਲਾਗਈ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਇ ॥
Sācẖė mail na lāg*ī man nirmal har ḏẖi*ā*ė.
The truthful ones are not stained by filth. Meditating on the Lord, their minds remain pure.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਪਛਾਣੀਐ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥
Gurmukẖ sabaḏ pacẖẖāṇī*ai har amriṯ nām samā*ė.
The Gurmukhs realize the Word of the Shabad; they are immersed in the Ambrosial Nectar of the Lord's Name.

ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡੁ ਬਲਾਇਆ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਅੰਧੇਰਾ ਜਾਇ ॥੨॥
Gur gi*ān parcẖand balā*i*ā agi*ān anḏẖėrā jā*ė. ||2||
The Guru has lit the brilliant light of spiritual wisdom, and the darkness of ignorance has been dispelled. ||2||

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮੈਲੇ ਮਲੁ ਭਰੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ॥
Manmukẖ mailė mal bẖarė ha*umai ṯarisnā vikār.
The self-willed manmukhs are polluted. They are filled with the pollution of egotism, wickedness and desire.

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮਹਿ ਹੋਇ ਖੁਆਰੁ ॥
Bin sabḏai mail na uṯrai mar jameh ho*ė kẖu*ār.
Without the Shabad, this pollution is not washed off; through the cycle of death and rebirth, they waste away in misery.

ਧਾਤੁਰ ਬਾਜੀ ਪਲਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਨਾ ਉਰਵਾਰੁ ਨ ਪਾਰੁ ॥੩॥
Ḏẖāṯur bājī palacẖ rahė nā urvār na pār. ||3||
Engrossed in this transitory drama, they are not at home in either this world or the next. ||3||

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਪ ਤਪ ਸੰਜਮੀ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਨਾਮਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥
Gurmukẖ jap ṯap sanjmī har kai nām pi*ār.
For the Gurmukh, the love of the Name of the Lord is chanting, deep meditation and self-discipline.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਦਾ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਏਕੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ॥
Gurmukẖ saḏā ḏẖi*ā*ī*ai ėk nām karṯār.
The Gurmukh meditates forever on the Name of the One Creator Lord.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਸਭਨਾ ਜੀਆ ਕਾ ਆਧਾਰੁ ॥੪॥੭॥੪੦॥
Nānak nām ḏẖi*ā*ī*ai sabẖnā jī*ā kā āḏẖār. ||4||7||40||
O Nanak, meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the Support of all beings. ||4||7||40||

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Jasleen_kaur ji

You have totally taken my comments in a wrong way There are some people who sit alone then meditate, how they do it is beyond my understanding because mind needs to be stilled. If we dont start working on our minds as per guidance from Gurbani, mind will keep wandering. I pointed out about the beginning. The preparation to be worthy of Him is a must as stated about the different realms in Jap Ji. It is also called a systematic character development. By the way, during Satguru Nanak, there were yogis practicing meditation(tap), Guru ji questioned it and told them that without unconditional love and faith there would be no liberation. Guru ji also said" While doing meditations and other hardships, you never get out of ego"
I was just pointing out that in the beginning, the preparation of heart for His love is a must. Going over different techniques of meditation will not help. People teach meditation even without mentioning name of God at all.
What you are trying to say with this Guru shabad is not clear because Gurgani doesnt advocate these kinds of special tapas(meditations). When I get time I shall support this statement with Shabad. Thanks for pointing out, because it has given me a chance to give detail of what I said in a few words.

Apr 4, 2007
Jasleen_kaur ji

You have totally taken my comments in a wrong way There are some people who sit alone then meditate, how they do it is beyond my understanding because mind needs to be stilled. If we dont start working on our minds as per guidance from Gurbani, mind will keep wandering. I pointed out about the beginning. The preparation to be worthy of Him is a must as stated about the different realms in Jap Ji. It is also called a systematic character development. By the way, during Satguru Nanak, there were yogis practicing meditation(tap), Guru ji questioned it and told them that without unconditional love and faith there would be no liberation. Guru ji also said" While doing meditations and other hardships, you never get out of ego"
I was just pointing out that in the beginning, the preparation of heart for His love is a must. Going over different techniques of meditation will not help. People teach meditation even without mentioning name of God at all.
What you are trying to say with this Guru shabad is not clear because Gurgani doesnt advocate these kinds of special tapas(meditations). When I get time I shall support this statement with Shabad. Thanks for pointing out, because it has given me a chance to give detail of what I said in a few words.

PK ji

i'm sorry to be unclear. (veerji? bhenji?)

i'm not trying to say anything with Guru's Shabad... Guru sahib is. :) i was simply trying to show that meditation is a necessity in the life of a gursikh.

yes, Guru sahib tells us that meditation WITHOUT love for God is useless. but that's not the topic of discussion, is it? i assumed that since this is a sikh forum, a topic on meditation would be meditation from a sikh point of view. i apologize if i misunderstood.

you yourself have stated in other topics that there are no stages of development in sikhi, so i do not understand how one would not be ready to engage in meditation on naam from the very beginning. how does your theory of "preparation" and "systematic character development" fit in with there being no stages of development in sikhi? i apologize if you find my questions stupid, i'm new at this and have difficulty understanding what appear to my simple mind to be contradictions.

fateh!

(btw, what is your name, if you don't mind? i would feel more comfortable having discussions with people if i could address them by name. sorry if this makes you uncomfortable)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
PK ji

i'm sorry to be unclear. (veerji? bhenji?)

you yourself have stated in other topics that there are no stages of development in sikhi, so i do not understand how one would not be ready to engage in meditation on naam from the very beginning. how does your theory of "preparation" and "systematic character development" fit in with there being no stages of development in sikhi? i apologize if you find my questions stupid, i'm new at this and have difficulty understanding what appear to my simple mind to be contradictions.

fateh!

(btw, what is your name, if you don't mind? i would feel more comfortable having discussions with people if i could address them by name. sorry if this makes you uncomfortable)

Jasleen _ Kaur ji
Guru Fateh
Sorry I am late in responding to your questions
You can call me G N Singh if you wish !

Let me answer your question regarding my comment about levels of Sikhi.
I strongly feel that there are no levels for understanding Gurbani. Why? Because, as I have encountered some people with long experience in understanding Gurbani, sadly I have found their minds totally closed and they are glued to what they strongly believe in. Speaking about such people, there is no level to understand Gurbani. At whatever level they start, they
just stick there, if any one try to share a new idea, they will draw their swords to defend what they believe in. If they note some other one is convinced with the new idea, they dont forgive him/her either. Growth is stopped totally. It will not be odd to say here another thing also, even though as I have stated above there is no level of understanding Gurbani; there are levels of Sikhi as Satguru ji has beautifully expressed in Jap Ji Sahib. In Japji Sahib in Stanza 34, Satguru ji states about the purpose of life. Here the realm of dharma is discussed,it is followed by realm of knowledge where one widens once approach towards the world with the help of knowledge achieved through Guru guidance. Efforts are put to develop character systematically. Karm khand starts. After winning over all five primal forces with the Guru guidance and by obeying His Ordinance. Levels of Sikhi become very clear. Realizing the purpose of life, following Guru Guidance, seeker starts battling with in to over come ego, anger, lust, greed. Earlier, Guru ji teaches about falling in love with God. Even for that, negative forces make us battle with them. I hope I have answered your questions.
Last not least, I have found your questions very interesting.

Apr 4, 2007
Jasleen _ Kaur ji
Guru Fateh
Sorry I am late in responding to your questions
You can call me G N Singh if you wish !

Let me answer your question regarding my comment about levels of Sikhi.
I strongly feel that there are no levels for understanding Gurbani. Why? Because, as I have encountered some people with long experience in understanding Gurbani, sadly I have found their minds totally closed and they are glued to what they strongly believe in. Speaking about such people, there is no level to understand Gurbani. At whatever level they start, they
just stick there, if any one try to share a new idea, they will draw their swords to defend what they believe in. If they note some other one is convinced with the new idea, they dont forgive him/her either. Growth is stopped totally.

so because you have met people who's understanding of Gurbani has not grown with time, you do not believe that OTHER people's understanding CAN grow?

i'm sorry. i study and pray every day that my understanding WILL grow. i can only hope your theory is wrong. i'm sorry to say that, i don't mean in in a personal way. but i think it's in all of our best interest to be able to grow in our understanding of Gurbani, even if you know some people who do not.

fateh!

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[SGGS 305]
Whoever calls himself a Sikh of the True Master,
He must get up early in the morning and meditate,
Let him make an effort to wake up early at day-break.
In the same sabd, Guru also avers:

From dawn he sings divine hymns of the Guru,
And meditates while sitting or standing, (In all postures).
Whosoever recites my Lord with every breath,
Such a God-centric person is blessed by the Master.

[SGGS 35]
If one were to consider the time and mood,
How would one select a particular time to meditate?

[SGGS 35]

If one were to forget Him even for a moment,
What sort of meditation would that be?
The Guru then advises the pilgrim of divinity:

[SGGS: 35]​
O my mind, concentrate on God’s name,
True adoration is that,
When the True Lord dwells in the mind!

The true Gursikh, in the final stage, perceives himself as a part of the cosmos, without his own small ego or worldly worries bothering him, verily the true purport of Vairag:
[SGGS : 1422]
Those God-centrists who are imbued with the Beloved’s love,
Nanak, they are merged in the true love day and night,
God-centrists have true love whereby they attain to the True Lord,

They remain in a state of constant bliss,
O Nanak, they remain in pure beatitude.

Last edited:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
so because you have met people who's understanding of Gurbani has not grown with time, you do not believe that OTHER people's understanding CAN grow?

i'm sorry. i study and pray every day that my understanding WILL grow. i can only hope your theory is wrong. i'm sorry to say that, i don't mean in in a personal way. but i think it's in all of our best interest to be able to grow in our understanding of Gurbani, even if you know some people who do not.

fateh!

jasleen_kaur ji

As in the beginning I wrote that it was my view( about level of understanding Gurbani ) and it doesnt mean I am right or you are wrong. I just expressed my views with example. You disagree, so it be, it doesnt bother me. I would not call you wrong regardless of my stand in this context.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Meditation..... Contd [Last Part]

There is a story of a nun who was very fond of apples but wished to get rid of this fascination. She would keep the apple near her pillow and tried to keep her mind away from its aroma. She became a nervous wreck as it became too much to either ignore it or eat it and find peace. It is nothing more than the classic hath-yoga behaviour. It leads to a sense of rage, frustration and longing which further results in aggressive relapse in any person. Guru Nanak was against such practices.

It is affirmed that all names by which God is remembered are sacred, and may be freely employed, as desired and convenient for the Sikh, without any hesitation or reservation about it being either of classical Sanskrit, Arabic or of any other religious usage, so far that these satisfy the disciple. More than one hundred names have been used in the Guru Granth Sahib, which are repeated and sung with relish by the Sikhs.

But the state of ecstasy of Wah-e-Guru remains unmatched for a Sikh in enchantment and love with God, where nothing is abhorrent and all enchants!

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hope you like this as much as I do. I had to share it with you.

From Bandginama by Raghbir Singh

Through repetition of God’s Name, we begin to be moulded in His pattern and we begin, to assimilate His virtues. The story goes that a certain Man told a Mahatma of his yearning to find God. The Mahatma advised him to repeat God’s Name. The man rejoined, “When I resort to
Nam, my mind wanders.” The Mahatma asked, “What do you hold in dearest affection?”

He replied,“My milch-buffalo is my dearest possession.”

From Guru Arjan Dev

The Mahatma said,“In seclusion, visualize your milch-buffalo”

The man did what he was told he closed the doors of his room and concentrated his mind on the buffalo. The man’s wife complained to the Mahatma that her husband had shut himself up in his room for days together and showed no signs of emerging from it. The Mahatma went to the man’s house and asked him to come out of his room. He replied, “How can I come out? I am a she-buffalo, my horns are long, and they will not allow me to come out of the room.”

The Mahatma said, “You are right. Now cease to think of the she-buffalo,

think of your real self, and by so doing, you will begin to think of yourself as
a man.”

A few days later, the man went to see the Mahatma. The Mahatma patted him on the back, and said that mental concentration was full of potentialities,“ Just as you turned into a she-buffalo and back again into yourself, similarly, if you so desire, you can transform yourself into an angel, and from an angel into God.”

The value of Nam transcends that of charity, meditation and austerities.
He who meditates on God’s name
realizes all his objectives.

pun dan jap tap jete sabli upari namu
Hai Hari rasna jo japai tis puran kam

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Respected aad ji,

Thanks for a nice post.I missed it due to connectivity problems that I am bogged down with. Yes., I do appreciate the message that has gone through this parable. Kindly post one or two of this kind as I have not any background on this.

Regards

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
God made man in his own image. He put his divine spark in man, which is called "The Soul". The soul enters bodily forms according to individual's actions. The wall of ego separates the soul from God.
According to the teachings of Sikh Guru's in their writings, man is a focal point in the universe, he is the apex of creation, the final stage. Human life is the starting point for God-realization. Just as the body is sustained by food and drink, in the same way the soul is nourished by virtue and devotion. When the soul progresses with the performance of good deeds and the remembrance of the Name, it becomes more worthy of a merger to divinity. This leads to the cycle of birth and death. Metempsychosis can only be ended through meditation or the acquisition of divine grace.

Quoted from

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurmat-vichaar/18405-goal-of-human-life-2.html

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM