• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meditate - How, What, Where And When?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Gurfateh to all

Throughout the bani, it repeatedly tells us to meditate,meditate on the true lord.

Often wonder if i'm doing it correctly in the right way. I know that it is not simply repeating paath or bani in parrot fashion whilst my mind maybe elsewhere. But, I have to focus my mind by completely emptying it and blanking from all thoughts and just retaining the true naam- this is easier said than done.

Does anyone know the best way? I'm not asking for a quick fix/ one step solution, I know it takes effort and time.
Does the way we breathe,sit or conduct ourselves as described in yoga practices affect the real joyful experience we are meant to attain with the supreme God?
How do we know if we are doing it correctly?

How do I eliminate every single thought going through my mind-when naturally our God given minds and brains process hundreds of thoughts per minute. I know complete detachment from the surroundings is only experienced once the daily thoughts are eradicated.

I would appreciate advice and references that are in guidlines with sikhism, as I know there are many available but most go off on tangents into pure yoga practices of some sort.

Waheguru

Luckysingh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Re: Meditate-How,what,where and when?

Ahhh Luckysinghji

I could post a link to some articles, but I am not sure you would read it lol

Not all Sikhs are big on meditation, I for one, do not meditate, the meditation master here is dear Bhagat Singhji who will no doubt once he reads your post reply to your request.

I find meditating wastes time I could be spending either doing sewa, or understanding Bani, but that is my opinion only, and like reincarnation, one in which I am a minority :)

Aug 28, 2010
Re: Meditate-How,what,where and when?

First it is important to know who is true LORD.According to Gurbanee the true LORD is NAAMu onlly.So from Gurbanee one should try to know this True LORD.
Once you get to know true LORD then request this True LORD to guide you about what you want to know.I am sure this True LORD would give answers to ll offyour questions.

I belive any answers given by any persons are views subject to so many ifs and buts.But the answers by true LORD are beyond any doubts.

So get to know your TRUE LORD from Gurbanee.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Batman

SPNer
Jan 26, 2012
California
Meditation is much more than simple repetition.

While there are considerations to be taken into account physically, much more important is your mind. Meditation begins with focusing the mind on a single object. Often this can be achieved for certain other religions by concentrating on the image of Buddha or Christ, etc. With Muslims and Sikhs alike, the single object can be a feeling; often, the chosen feeling will be cosmic or theistic harmony.

Concentrate on your love for God in a Wahe Guru sort of way. Whatever helps free the rest of your mind to meditate is fine. Begin exploring the spaces not used in your concentration.

Of course, breathing should be taken into account. Posture that is comfortable is what is proper. There are no specific poses you should assume. Often people (esp. Yogis) will become steeped in the physical. You spend too much time straining muscles and worrying with your body that you cannot tap into your mind.

There is no God button. You must look hard inside yourself if you want to find your inner peace. Connecting with this often extends a hand toward Naam.

In short, it is all about mental exploration and relaxation.

God is ever present. Just focus on opening your mind enough to see him.

There are no rules. Just explore.

For some, quiet is best. For some, music is preferred.

One of the best places I find is in a hot shower. Just sit down and let the water wash over you. Close your eyes and begin to feel.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
The Dark Knight nailed it.

Meditation is simply slowing down the mind and embodying yourself. Through the senses you come to the present moment, and through that you come to the experience of life. ou become a body rather than a floating mind with body as only a transport mechanism. Most people live in their heads (compulsively thinking, obsessively analyzing past and future) which is not only detrimental to health but impedes proper seva, simran, reading, understanding and development of virtues. Meditation not only improves health through stress reduction and peace but there is always a chance that you will realize your True Self on the way which will transform your life. It promotes creativity, productivity and positive emotions in general.

Sikh terms:
Simran is all about increased awareness through attachment with transcendental reality, God. By constant repetition of the word, constantly remind yourself and connect with that reality. Do simran as often as you can until it runs 24/7. Then you will not meditate in life but live in meditation.

Samadhi is the merging of subject (I) and object (what I perceive) and realizing they were never separate in the first place.

Does the way we breathe,sit or conduct ourselves as described in yoga practices affect the real joyful experience we are meant to attain with the supreme God?
Moving your body and engaging it in meditation helps! I find with yoga you can stretch and strengthen your body while engaging your mind on the sensations that arise in your body. This will not affect your experience of God however. You can sit still everytime or you can move your body or the combination of two.

How do we know if we are doing it correctly?
There's really no way to do it wrong. Meditation is the return to simply being. We are so used to doing and doing, running after the next thing. When you stop and simply be who you are and sit there in silence, then you can be said to be practicing meditation. But in essence meditation is being and thus there is no right way to be. Being is as it is right now, as you sit there and feel your butt on the chair, feet on the ground, notice the sensations in your feet and hands, notice your breath, notice all the sounds.
There's no way to do that wrong.

How do I eliminate every single thought going through my mind-when naturally our God given minds and brains process hundreds of thoughts per minute. I know complete detachment from the surroundings is only experienced once the daily thoughts are eradicated.
The best way is to not make this into a goal. Focus on the practice and journey not where you are going to end up.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Bani is just words as in prayers, if you want to meditate, do what the yogis do.

Meditation is a Hindu thing.. I think you are confused with jaap and meditation. I mean, you can't meditate and read bani at the same time xD

Gurfateh

I am sorry, but I'm wise enough to NOT be confused, I know what I'm searching for!!
Meditation does NOT belong to anyone- you can't claim it to be a hindu thing.

I posted my request and have recieved some terrific information from the other SPN colleagues.
Please DO NOT insult my intelligence by telling me that i'm barking up the wrong tree!!!!!!!

I sincerely thank Soul_jyot, Bhagatsingh, Harry and not forgetting the dark night- Batman-- for giving me their useful, well worthy replies so far.

AND more importantly- BANI is NOT, I repeat NOT just words as in prayers.
IF you don't get this, then I'm very sorry for you- I can't even try to explain!!!!!!
PLEASE DO NOT SAY SUCH THINGS ON THIS FORUM.

Waheguru
Lucky Singh

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
BhagatSinghji

I think the complete post says it all, I'm sure I don't misinterpret it.

Bhul chuk marf if I do.
3 things, -1st -that I'm confused wtih what i'm looking for, Jaap or meditation.
2nd- meditation belongs to hindus
and 3rdly - Bani is just a few words.

Waheguru

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I'm sorry but I don't wish to dissect the post and explain my perception in detail.
I'm trying very hard with the meditation. I know, maybe I shouldn't try to hard.

I really know that I have the opportunity to learn this at this stage in my life given my circumstances.
I'm more than 100% positive that I won't by any means regret this new journey.

Normally I am very very calm and forgiving.
Learning is never wrong, and that is what i'm trying to do with meditation- not be told that it is NOT for me or I may be looking for the wrong thing.

I am sure I'm looking for the correct thing, it's just the steps to get there, that I need guidance and maybe help with.
Being POSITIVE is what gives me more strength to pusue these steps on concentrating on 'nothingness' except the name of the lord. Being dragged down with negativity is the last thing I need.
I'm sure you understand, as you are many many steps ahead in what i'm trying to attain.
I'm sure you must remember how your mindset was when you first began to embark on this journey.

Waheguru
Lucky Singh

Aug 28, 2010
Gurfateh

I am sorry, but I'm wise enough to NOT be confused, I know what I'm searching for!!
Meditation does NOT belong to anyone- you can't claim it to be a hindu thing.

I posted my request and have recieved some terrific information from the other SPN colleagues.
Please DO NOT insult my intelligence by telling me that i'm barking up the wrong tree!!!!!!!

I sincerely thank Soul_jyot, Bhagatsingh, Harry and not forgetting the dark night- Batman-- for giving me their useful, well worthy replies so far.

AND more importantly- BANI is NOT, I repeat NOT just words as in prayers.
IF you don't get this, then I'm very sorry for you- I can't even try to explain!!!!!!
PLEASE DO NOT SAY SUCH THINGS ON THIS FORUM.

Waheguru
Lucky Singh

LICKY SINGH Ji,
I appreciate your concern on the remarks given by some fellow SPN who might be ignorant about the character of Gurbanee. If someone does not know how this the only GRANTH in the world is revered as GuRoo,it is his problem.There may be many more like this.
You can overlook such remarks and go ahead with your interaction.This is my personal feeling.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Bani is just words as in prayers, if you want to meditate, do what the yogis do.

Meditation is a Hindu thing.. I think you are confused with jaap and meditation. I mean, you can't meditate and read bani at the same time xD

I am with Kamalaji on this one, When one meditates on Bani for the sole purpose of inward reflection, then they are simply words, you may as well meditate using the words of a pop song.

I am Sikh, I do not meditate, and I do see it is a Hindu thing

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm sorry but I don't wish to dissect the post and explain my perception in detail.
I'm trying very hard with the meditation. I know, maybe I shouldn't try to hard.

I really know that I have the opportunity to learn this at this stage in my life given my circumstances.
I'm more than 100% positive that I won't by any means regret this new journey.

Normally I am very very calm and forgiving.
Learning is never wrong, and that is what i'm trying to do with meditation- not be told that it is NOT for me or I may be looking for the wrong thing.

I am sure I'm looking for the correct thing, it's just the steps to get there, that I need guidance and maybe help with.
Being POSITIVE is what gives me more strength to pusue these steps on concentrating on 'nothingness' except the name of the lord. Being dragged down with negativity is the last thing I need.
I'm sure you understand, as you are many many steps ahead in what i'm trying to attain.
I'm sure you must remember how your mindset was when you first began to embark on this journey.

Waheguru
Lucky Singh

Luckyji,

This journey has many paths, meditation is only one, and for me, is not one I choose to follow, as you are at the start of your journey, embrace everything and see what works for you, there has been some excellent advice here on meditation, and my dear Veer Bhagatsinghji is a shining example of what state can be attained through meditation, I have always respected his calmness and ability to see all angles, however, it is not prayer, and it is not learning, it is an exploration of the self , and although the Hindus are best known for it, it is not of course exclusive to Hinduism

Aug 28, 2010
HARRY HALLAR Ji,
There is a great difference in the words of Pop song and Gurbanee words.These two can not or should not be equated.
Gurbanee words are the words from Perfect GuRu thru "TAKSAL" of true words.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I would just like to explain briefly my position

Firstly, I am a 3rd generation anglo-indian, as my father infact, was born in the UK like me. Most of us in the west have parents that were originally from India.

You could say, I am a generation ahead and represent most of your childrens future in terms of generations.
What i'm trying to say in a nutshell is that my upbringing was very isolated. My father stayed in line with his faith as respect to his parents but did not expect me to carry the surname or faith with pride.( he would often say to my mother that I'll come home with a gori, and that they will have to accept)
He was very intouch with the world and in all honesty didn't expect me to be following the path of sikhi given my surroundings and influences.
This was due to my upbringing, I was the only indian kid upto the age of 16 in school and you bet I experienced plenty of racism and predjudice along the way.

Christianity was a huge part of my life at school. At a young age I was aware of God, was taught and told stories about sikhism at home, but learned about Jesus and the bible at school.
The teachings at school were very good and were very lovingly convincing at that age and I knew no different about seperate religions.

I grew up confused and unsure where I belong although I strongly believed in one God.
I chose to NOT follow any path, but felt confident that I could attain God without a religion. To me religion just seemed like a path to help get to a destination, I felt I could make my own journey. People would call me an atheist, as I followed no faith, I had to agree.

I won't get into much detail but I am here today because of Bani.
Lots of people find their faith, but to me it was more like Bani found me (via kirtan and books) and through this channel I found my way into Sikhism.
One of the first shabads I came across was 'Bani guru, guru hai bani'. It was such a shabad that pulled me strongly into learning more.
Ever since I have been learning and have experienced many many acts of God.

I just wanted to emphasise that Bani is of great significance to a no good guy like me, it is the ultimate true 'pavithar' word that pulls me strongly.
With the help of bani, I realise how much I need the religion and the Guru.
What I find really amazing is how much of it just makes a lot of simple sense for someone like me who is learning punjabi all the while.

Waheguru
LuckySingh

Batman

SPNer
Jan 26, 2012
California
I am Sikh, I do not meditate, and I do see it is a Hindu thing

Meditation belongs to no one. It is acceptable for anybody who wishes to explore their own mind and give themselves greater perspective on things beyond.

Now, meditation in the conventional sense may not be an explicit practice of whatever one chooses to follow; however, that does not mean the practice is invaluable. All people of all faiths can find benefit from it.

If you don't want to, that's fine. But don't say it's only for __________.
animatedkhanda1

Aug 28, 2010
Meditation belongs to no one. It is acceptable for anybody who wishes to explore their own mind and give themselves greater perspective on things beyond.​

Now, meditation in the conventional sense may not be an explicit practice of whatever one chooses to follow; however, that does not mean the practice is invaluable. All people of all faiths can find benefit from it.​

If you don't want to, that's fine. But don't say it's only for __________.​

animatedkhanda1​

BATMAN Ji,What my understanding on meditation according to Gurbanee is that one is required to focus ones "Munn/(Mind) on some specific figure or image .This FIGURE/IMAGE is refered in Gurbanee as AKAL MOORATi.
There is no need of specific POSTURE for meditation as dictated by some so called SAINTS and BABAS. This is important to understand.
Prakash.S.Bagga

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM