• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Arts/Society Marrying Cousins

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip ji

"Tis true. So when cousins themselves come from a sub-population that is diverse to begin with, cousin marriage is not so big a threat to offspring. In groups where there are centuries of inter-marriage then there is more risk.

Actually genetic counseling has gone a long way to resolve some of these problems. For example, among Eastern European jews -- even without cousin marriage -- certain birth defects tend to have a high chance of occurring. Genetic counseling has reduced the incidence of problems like Tay-Sachs syndrome.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip ji

"Tis true. So when cousins themselves come from a sub-population that is diverse to begin with, cousin marriage is not so big a threat to offspring. In groups where there are centuries of inter-marriage then there is more risk.

Actually genetic counseling has gone a long way to resolve some of these problems. For example, among Eastern European jews -- even without cousin marriage -- certain birth defects tend to have a high chance of occurring. Genetic counseling has reduced the incidence of problems like Tay-Sachs syndrome.

One of the reasons I read somewhere why the average Punjabi was taller than the average Indian was the mixture of many races of people. Diet has something to do with this, but from what I have been told, where you have two gene pools that haven't met, their off spring tend to be stronger, faster, more intelligent etc.

Any truth to this?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip ji,

That I can't tell you. With time I can look it up. Don't be surprised if a heretofore silent forum member who is a doctor or scientist responds with some factual information.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<While in Other arrange marriage's
Truck Load of lies are involved from both sides. >>

huge generalization :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
He was actually completely wrong Randip ji

Biological diversity is essential for maintenance of small and large ecosystems. By narrowing the genetic pool, the opportunities for species to adapt to new and radical environmental changes draws to nil. Species die out and the environment frequently degenerates. An example, the introduction of snakes to Hawaii led to wholesale extermination of many species of birds, and then to extermination of other life forms that were co-dependent in their habitat.

Kuldeep 001

SPNer
Mar 23, 2018
In Hindu khatri /Arora community same gotra marriage, first cousin marriage consider taboo. If you even think about it, you can thrown out of family and lose all respect. If have been with thousands of Hindu khatris /Arora i didnt even hear about it, they are totally against same gotra and first cousin marriage. I dindt know about sikh khatri, but i think its uncommon in thier norms also. Hindu khatri are significant population and consider cousin marriage a sin or taboo specially mehta community of khatris.

Kuldeep 001

SPNer
Mar 23, 2018
I know about the marriage of cousins in arora sikh family where boy got married to the daughter of his real bhua- sister of his father. they used to meet every year when teens. The idea never occured to them. it was the grandmother- dadi of boy & nani of girl who suggested this marriage.
it has been going very strong for 40 years. they have wonderful children.
From my knowledge of veterinary science i know that inbreeding in chickens have produced fantastic results. may be it should not be carried down the track for genetic abnormalities as it happens in parsies but i have seen fantastic parsi families and they dont care about genetic fear. they love life & their families. As the times are chaning we must change with times. Change means move. movement causes life. if u dont move u die. Every thing is changing.Man accepts every other change of new technology but is foolish not to accept new thoughts of spirtuality.all religions think what has been written is ultimate truth. May God give us the wisdom to listen to our feelings which contain the truth & not our minds which contain the opeinions of others.
If this happens, sikh arora community running name of hindu arora community as well as hindu khatri community, i heard about some sikh do this because uneducation or low population but that have rare cases 10 in million. Hindu khatri people are totally against it. Please dont do this and dont ruin community name. Khatri community is totally against this. 2-4 people ruin all community name, please dont do this.

Last edited:

Kuldeep 001

SPNer
Mar 23, 2018
Mehta community of khatris people same gotra and cousin marriage is negligible or non existence. In arora community 99 percent of people consider cousin marriage is sin. Both are upward community and educated also, in today world i dindt consider they even think about it. Some uneducated people of arora community nearby independence do it because of povery and limited population. That are rear cases 10 in millions.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: