• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Mantra And Thought

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Mantra and Thought

A Mantra is different from a thought in the following respects.

A Thought is a vibration that comes from the lower plane of nature ... But A Mantra is a vibration that comes from the higher plane of nature.

A Thought has always a meaning ... Whereas A Mantra, although it has a meaning, it is rarely uniform. It has a force, and the meaning of the Mantra is revealed to the person who has received it through revelation, which comes at a higher level of realization.

A Thought is a reflection of turbulence in the lower nature ... But A Mantra -- when it becomes natural -- is a reflection of the psychic state.

A Thought always has a direction, a dimension, a depth. All or any of these properties must be found in a thought ... But A Mantra has nothing of the above. It is only a rhythm and always withers away automatically the moment the psychic state of awareness is active. A Mantra necessarily turns into a desire when it acquires the properties of direction, dimension and depth ... But A Mantra never becomes a desire. On the other hand it neutralises the desire formation process.

A Thought generally originates from the lower mental, lower vital or higher vital planes ... But A Mantra has no such origin and its sole purpose is to activise the psychic being. A Mantra is given by the spiritual master or may descend automatically when the seeker reaches a high state of psychic awareness.

A Thought attracts other thoughts ... But A Mantra never attracts other Mantras.

A Thought has no sound aspect. It has only the meaning aspect ... Whereas A Mantra has no meaning aspect. It has only the sound aspect.

Thoughts make us restless ... But A Mantra makes us calm.

A Thought automatically dies when it has become a desire ... But A Mantra automatically merges into the consciousness when the psychic state is established.

A Thought clouds the soul ... Whereas A Mantra awakens the soul.

A Thought comes automatically ... But A Mantra is invoked and it may come automatically only when the psychic state has become more or less permanent.

Last edited:

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Sir
Gurmat does not permit philosophy of mantra. Gurmat only recommend contemplation on sabd. Thaal vich tin vastu paeyeo - sat, santokh and beecharo. It has the amrit of naam which should be our support and urge.

Regards Sahni Mohinder

rosethorne

SPNer
Aug 13, 2005
New Delhi
WJKK
WJKF
Dear Souljyotji you have started a real topic. Thanks for the Idea.
Dear devinesanativeji and japjisaheb04ji, It is true that of Repeatation
of a Particular Thought itself Becomes Mantra. But the only thought in
which a particularly defines about God or God's related thought, willbe
a Mantra only. In world youngs are repeatedly thinking of thier love
for girls, Middleage person's repeatedly thinking of Money, Old
persons are repeatedly thinking of thier survival, That doesn't make a
repeatedly thinking, a Mantra. In Mantra, only defines the lord,or
about the true lord, willbe a Mantra. Not the every repeatedly
thaught is a Mantra. Mantra surely calms our Soul.

gauVI mhlw 5 ] fir fir mrqy jb jwnIAY dUir ] fru cUkw dyiKAw BrpUir ]
1] siqgur Apuny kau bilhwrY ] Coif n jweI srpr qwrY ]1] rhwau ] dUKu rogu sogu ibsrY jb nwmu ] sdw Anμdu jw hir gux gwmu ]2] burw Blw koeI n khIjY ] Coif mwnu hir crn ghIjY ]3] khu nwnk gur mMqRü icqwir ] suKu pwvih swcY drbwir ]4]32]101] (pMnw186)

GAUREE, FIFTH MEHL: I was scared, scared to death, when I thought that He was far away. But my fear was removed, when I saw that He is pervading everywhere. || 1 || I am a sacrifice to my True Guru. He shall not abandon me; He shall surely carry me across. || 1 || Pause || Pain, disease and sorrow come when one forgets the Naam, the Name of the Lord. Eternal bliss comes when one sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord. || 2 || Do not say that anyone is good or bad. Renounce your arrogant pride, and grasp the Feet of the Lord. || 3 || Says Nanak, remember the GurMantra; you shall find peace at the True Court. || 4 || 32 || 101 || (Page 186)

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Yes, if it is Gur mantra chanting the name of Akal Purakh all the time, then I agree with you. But if we follow the dera walas mantar or gayatri mantar (glorifying deities) or as stated above wealth, girls, then it will not help us to cross bhavjal.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
japjisahib04 said:
Sir
Gurmat does not permit philosophy of mantra. Gurmat only recommend contemplation on sabd. Thaal vich tin vastu paeyeo - sat, santokh and beecharo. It has the amrit of naam which should be our support and urge.

Regards Sahni Mohinder
What is
1. Gur Mantra
2. Beej Mantra
3. Mool Mantra

Kaho nanak gur mantra driirhraya

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Dear Arvind Ji
Gur Mantar is Waheguru to chant His Name
Beej Mantar is whole of Japjisahib to read, understand and break the veil of ignorance and sow the seed of virtues to become truthful.
Mool Mantar is to know the definition of God.
So it is only waheguru which is to to recited and chanted and not any other mantar which any derawala baba blow in the ear.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

Sep 11, 2005
japjisahib04 said:
Dear Arvind Ji
Beej Mantar is whole of Japjisahib to read, understand and break the veil of ignorance and sow the seed of virtues to become truthful.
So it is only waheguru which is to to recited and chanted and not any other mantar which any derawala baba blow in the ear.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

Very Well Said Sahni Mohinder Ji . Every Dera Walla Baba Can Fook Maaring in the Ears Of his Sangat . But Merely Fook Maaring is not a Mantra .

rosethorne

SPNer
Aug 13, 2005
New Delhi
WJKK
WJKF
Dear Arvindji said very truly. There are so many ways in Gurbani to chaant the name of the true lord.
Dear japjisaheb04ji, There is no question of chaanting any Mantra, inspite from Gurbani, is valid for Gursikhs. Whenever a Gursikh is talking about any kind of spiritulism, He surely chaanting the Name of true lord= AKAL.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
japjisahib04 said:
Dear Arvind Ji
Regards Sahni Mohinder
Veer ji,

Thanks for your reply.

Do I only find your reply contradictory?

about ur posts in this thread:
- Gurmat does not permit philosophy of mantra.
- then u explained different mantras.. implying that they do have place in Sikhi
- didnt find any mention of derawala etc in the original post...

Regards.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Dear Arvind Ji

Your point is valid. But as per my understanding gurmat does not permit philosophy of mantra, Gurmat is understanding and contemplation of Gur Shabad. That why Guru Nanak has said Gur ki murat mann mai dhayan, gur ka shabad mantar mann maan - the image of Guru (prakash of Brahm gian or SGGS) is contemplation upon the infinite Gur Sabd within mind with dhayan that one understand and get enlightened. Then it says let our mind accept Shabad of Guru as mantar ik-ong-kar. Enshrine the guru's baani in our heart. Bow in humility forever before Guru - the Akal Purakh and not inanimated elements or devi devta, thus gurbani rejects the philosophy of mantra.
Mantra philosophy is hindu philosophy. Each of 33 crore devi devta had coined one or the other sidh mantra to glory inanimated element. With the help of these mantra they use to invoke powers of those elements to do jadu tuna. Since Mantra concept was well ingrained in the followers of Guru Nanak so he used them as a metaphor.
These derawala baba's have no knowledge of gurbani thus in order to establish their prominence, take one or the sabd from gurbani and blow in the ear of ignorance and innocent followers and ask them to repeat it again and again like brahmin chant it without understanding and implementing teaching of its essence upon our life.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Gurmat is understanding and contemplation of Gur Shabad.
Wah ji Wah... this is such a meaningful sentence. Thanks veer ji.

Gur ki murat mann mai dhayan, gur ka shabad mantar mann maan
Through you, I feel so good on knowing more about this tuk, which generally people tend to misinterpret to bring 'moortees' (idols) into Sikhi.

Regarding repeated chanting, my worthless mind tells me - even soft small water drops persistently falling on a hard rock, have the ability to corrode it.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Dear Arvind Ji
You are right even soft small water drops persistently falling on a hard rock, have the ability to corrode it, but mind is much harder than rock. As Gurabni tells us, "maatti ka kya dho pai soami manas ki gat ehi".
True turthful living is very essential, but glorifying and chanting His Name is equally important. Wah is a spontenous expression of love and thanks for His endless gifts and wondrous creations. It is a way to union and ignite the jyot inside with jyot of gur sabd. Unless we practice, automatic, 'jina saas girass ni visrai" will not start.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM