YouTube - Naan Bread Recipe by Manjula, Indian Vegetarian Gourmet
- 2 cups of All Purpose flour (Plain flour or maida)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons yogurt (curd or dahi)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon of clear butter or ghee to butter the Naan
- 1/4 cup All Purpose flour for rolling
- Dissolve active dry yeast in lukewarm water and let it sit for 10 minutes or until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Add sugar, salt and baking soda to the flour and mix well.
- Add the oil and yogurt mix, this will become crumbly dough.
- Add the water/yeast mixture and make into soft dough.Note: after dough rise will become little softer.
- Knead until the dough is smooth. Cover the dough and keep in a warm place for 3-4 hours. The dough should almost be double in volume.
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees with pizza stone for at least thirty minutes so stone is hot. Using a pizza stone will help to give naan close to same kind of heat as clay tandoor.
- Next turn the oven to high broil.
- Knead the dough for about two to three minutes and divide the dough into six equal parts.
- Take each piece of dough, one at a time, and roll into 8-inch oval shape. Dust lightly with dry flour to help with the rolling.
- Before putting the Naan in oven, lightly wet your hands and take the rolled Naan, and flipp them between your palms and place onto your baking/pizza stone into the oven.
- You can place about 2 Naan on the baking/pizza stone at a time. The Naan will take about 2 to 3 minutes to cook, depending upon your oven. After the Naan is baked(Naan should be golden brown color on top).
- Take naan out of the oven and brush lightly with clear butter or ghee.
- wait 2 to 3 minutes before baking the next batch of naan. It gives oven the chance to get heated again to max.
- Serve Naan with Daal, Chola, Palak Paneer or any vegetable. Enjoy!
Last edited by a moderator: