YouTube- Aloo Naan (Stuffed Potato Naan Bread) by Manjula
- 2 cups of All Purpose flour (Plain flour or maida)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons yogurt (curd or dahi)
- About 3/4 cup lukewarm water use as needed
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala – optional
- 2 table spoon of oil
- 2 teaspoon of clear butter or ghee to butter the Naan
- 1/4 cup All Purpose flour for rolling
- Dissolve yeast in 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water and let it sit for 10 minutes or until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Add sugar, salt and baking soda to the flour and mix well.
- Add the oil and yogurt mix it well, this will become crumbly dough.
- Add the water/yeast mixture and add water as needed to make the dough firm. Note: After dough rises, it will become a little softer.
- Knead until the dough is smooth. Cover the dough with damp cloth and keep it in a warm place for 3-4 hours. The dough should almost double in volume.
- Boil 2 medium potatoes until they are tender.
- Once cooked, drain the water and let the potatoes cool down. Note: Do not cool the potatoes under running water. Potatoes will absorb the water and become soft.
- Next peel the skin off and mash the potatoes.
- Add green pepper, cilantro, cumin seeds, mango powder, garam masala, and salt to the mashed potatoes and mix it well.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees with pizza stone (baking stone) for about thirty minutes so stone is hot. Using a baking/pizza stone helps get Naan close to same kind of heat as a clay tandoor.
- Knead the dough for about two minutes and divide the dough into six equal parts, and divide the potato mix in six parts. Potato mix should be little smaller then dough *****.
- Roll the dough into a 3-inch circle. Place one potato ball in the center. Pull the edges of the dough to wrap the potato filling. Proceed to make all six *****.
- Let the filled ***** settle for 3 to 4 minutes before rolling them.
- Next turn the oven to high broil.
- Before putting the Naan in oven, oil your palms with oil and flip naan between your palms and place onto your baking/pizza stone into the oven.
- You can place about 2 to 3 naan on the baking/pizza stone at a time. The naan will take about 2 to 3 minutes to cook, depending upon your oven. After the naan is baked, it should become golden brown color on top.
- Take naan out of the oven and brush lightly with clear butter (ghee).
- Wait for 2 to 3 minutes before baking the next naan. It gives oven the chance to get heated again to max.
- If you are doubling the recipe yeast should instead of two teaspoon it should be 1 ½ teaspoon same thing applies with sugar.
- If pizza stone is not available use baking sheet. After naan is cooked from top turn them over to cook from other side.
Last edited by a moderator: