• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Loosing Our Way? Perhaps?

Niku 38

SPNer
Aug 6, 2006
As we move through time, no doubt that as individual we must move with the times, and as religions go, so must sikhism. I have to admit that sikhism is well placed for the present & future , but this does mean we need to retain cultural and religious values as idividuals , this means certain small sacrifices, depending on the way you look at life.

Firstly, the cutting of hair: I am against sikhs cutting their hair, it really does hurt, considering that modern sikh lads are cutting their hair for vanity or as they say "an easier life" . Have they forgotten the huge sacrificies our sikh Gurus's and warriors have made in the past. Even sikhs fighting in two world wars have maintained their long uncut hair, and here we are in the 21st century, saying we do not have time to tie a dastar, yet we can go to clubs and have a good night out.WE need emotional content in our lives and remember what hardship the khalsa went through to preserve their indentity. I find this almost a betrayal to our history and feel quite strongly about this.

Secondly we have the western atitude of the modern sikh youth. Girls/Boys believe in getting drunk and having one night stands. The term "having a night out" has taken a different meaning in with the youth of today. The marriage with different races, girls knocking back the drinks. Where is it all leading to.? If you speak to our youth, the common reply is they want to enjoy life before they settle down. How can a society of drinking & sex possibly be enjoyment and set you up for a life that can sometimes be harsh and may offer bad experiences to come. Is it any wonder that they are quick to shout "divorce" so quickly. It because their expectation are too high, and when life gets serious, they can't keep up. And its at this time you need the teachings of sikhi, and your cultural strength to see you through. Even women in the 40-50 with married adults still believe in a good time, what example does this attitude to life show to our up and coming future sikhi race? We are becoming real coconuts in some respects and forgeting that we are Sikhs, and lets not forget it.

Thirdly there is the naiming of children, why, oh why do we need english or hindu names. Arent the sikhs names enough, or is it just to be "different". Lets face it .Your name, the way you look, makes you and idividual amongst millions.Sikhs are recognised by name, and appreance so easy and is prevelant only in the sikhi religion. For example . you can spot a sikhs amongst millions with his /her identity , just has Guru Gobind Singh Ji said when he created the khalsa. And here we are throwing it all away in the name of???

Last but not least , there are certain hindu rituals that sikhs practice , why? There is rakhi for example, which is debateable, then there is not eating on certain days, also Karva Chaud, when the wives fast for their husbands! And finally, amazing there are so many young sikhs who thought Diwali was our new year, they had no idea that we celebrate Diwali because Sikhs celebrate Bandi Chhorh Divas to mark the return of the Sixth Guru, Guru Hargobind Ji, who was freed from imprisonment and also managed to release 52 Hindu Kings (political prisoners) at the same time from the famous fort of Gwalior by Emperor Jahangir in October, 1619. It amazing how little our youngs sikhs now about their own history, its very sad.

There are ways to enjoy yourself, but everything should done within reason and we should not loose ourselves in the to the excesses of life. I am not saying go and be an amritari sikh, but use your common sense, have philosophical look your self and approach life logically, but above all never forget the 100000's of sikhs who martyred them selves so we could still exist at this time, now.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I agree on your points, but what is the difference between a Sikh and a Hindu name? Both are acceptable eg Guru's had Hindu names too eg Arjun, Gobind, Amar etc. I don't get this trend of English names, because that's all they seem to be , is a trend...........people name their kids in the England according to what the Popstar is called....how many Whitneys in the 40's do we know. I saw one poor girl named "Gatney" (what does that mean?) and another called "Sarah Bling"....yes a Sikh family, I kid you not.

No thought into the meaning of the name.

Niku 38

SPNer
Aug 6, 2006
Randip, thank you for your comments but unfortunately i feel there is a difference between sikh and hindu names, and there has been for many years, in order to keep this fine line of differenece we need to uphold this tradition, because if we start using hindu names in bulk, then the cutural, then the tradition, and finally the religion is in danger of merging in to hindusim, thats why its so very important that we remain sikhs, in every form.

wahe_guru_Ji

SPNer
Sep 28, 2009
Wahe Guru Ji

with all respect you have raised the all the right points. i know people are not following..but what happen in the past.. is something is not done by the youth.. He was a well educated and a religious guy [i met him in the Gurudwara, this happened outside of the Gurudwara..]... he was asking for caste, because he wants, so the can marry his daughter to someone in the same caste.

The movement he asked me.. he lost all the respect... i dont know why but Yes.. i dont call him anymore
I am not sure.. if any of you have experienced it (caste discrimination in the Gurudwaras)

What happen in Vienna.. Something done by the youth...

then who is a true follower of Sikhism... a guy who cuts his hair / beard.. But still visit Gurudwara.. and believe in almighty God .. or the one who believes in God.. but discriminate people on the basis of caste..

Sorry je agar main kissi de koi sentiments nu hurt kita hai ta

Gurvinder Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Waheguru ji,

Guru Fateh.

Interesting perspective to say the least.

You write:

then who is a true follower of Sikhism... a guy who cuts his hair / beard.. But still visit Gurudwara.. and believe in almighty God .. or the one who believes in God.. but discriminate people on the basis of caste..

I have a couple of questions about your questions.

1. What does the person who cuts his hair/beard go to Gurdwara for? What is his ultimate objective?

2. Regarding the second one, your statement seems self contradictory. If the second one believes in God then what kind of belief does he have or what kind of "God" does he believe in if he still practices Apartheid?

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Tejwant Singh ji

Forgive my intrusion. I try not to intrude but it doesn't always happen. ::cool:: Somehow from reading your questions it seemed that my interpretation of WaheGuru's remarks are different from yours. My understanding was that he was concerned about the importance of caste among Sikhs attending his gurdwara.

Do I misunderstand your questions? Or, did I get the post wrong? :confused::confused::confused:
Your feedback would clear up my confusion. Thanks.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant Singh ji

Forgive my intrusion. I try not to intrude but it doesn't always happen. ::cool:: Somehow from reading your questions it seemed that my interpretation of WaheGuru's remarks are different from yours. My understanding was that he was concerned about the importance of caste among Sikhs attending his gurdwara.

Do I misunderstand your questions? Or, did I get the post wrong? :confused::confused::confused:
Your feedback would clear up my confusion. Thanks.

Narayanjot ji,

Guru Fateh.

I am sorry to say but I must admit that I have no idea what is in Gurvinder Singh ji's mind. His questions or thinking made me ask him what he really meant. Hence, my questioning to him, because we have no idea about the person who cuts his hair or beard believes in caste system too or not but my point is that what this person's ultimate objective of going to Gurdwara is and the same goes for the one who believes in God, keeps hair but practices Apartheid, what his real believes are ?

I hope, I have made myself clear.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
My understanding is as follows:
1. A person goes to Gurudwara to listen to Gurbani, its interpretation in form of Katha
2. When a person starts to understand Gurbani, he appreciates SGGS as a living Guru
3. He then starts to understands that there is God and a believer in God cannot practice apartheid.
4. A person who cuts his hair loses his identity as a Sikh but that does not prevent him from believing in God. Similarly it is not necessary that a person who keeps hair will necessarily believe in God. In fact some people who keep hair do so many wrong things and bring bad name to the Sikhs. It is better that they do not keep hair.

So, for a good Sikh, it is necessary that he should keep uncut hair. His name should contain the Surname of Singh or kaur. His/her first name should not cause concern. (In fact most of Sikhs names are common with Hindu first names). He should not use intoxicants. His living should be moderated and balanced. He should have complete faith in SGGS. If he has faith in SGGs then he will believe in God and will not practice apartheid.

I hope my rambling makes sense.

Niku 38

SPNer
Aug 6, 2006
I think harbansj24 has almost hit the nail on the head. As i said, you need to have a logical approach to being a sikh, we need to work our lives within the frame work of sikhism as prescribed by the guru granth sahib. I not saying that we should try to adhere to every letter of the gurbani, this is virtually impossible for most people. We should possess a "good & clean" heart. With the gurus blessing, this will enable us to move forward. I find that general education, especially sikh history or history in general provides much source for thought, giving us all an philosophical outlook on life.There is big world out there , read and grow your knowledge.

As for the caste issue, do not blame the religion, its the human factor. Humans will always be humans, and therefore make mistakes, they will reap what they sow. We need to educate any body who does wrong. If they do not listen, then life normally has a way to balance things out.

Please remember, there are several differenet angles to the sikhism, and to adopt them all is very dificult indeed, but as servant of god, we need to find a happy meduim, that encapsulates the appearance, cultural and religious values of sikhism. keep trying everybody, but we need to keep trying for the sake of our future and ones inner peace.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM