• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Loosing Battle Of Punjabi Speaking - Need Help

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
-Why is it better to be fluent in the mother tongue, anyways the kids are french now - if I'm not wrong, am I? And they will only rarely come to India, if at all they come.

-We don't talk in gurmukhi script, we just talk. Talking in punjabi and learning gurmukhi are totally different tasks. Do you think we used to speak this punjabi,when gurujis were alive, which we speak now. It had a totally different dimension.

We live in society.when we meet our cousins,relatives then we have to talk to them in our mother tongue or we feel alienated.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
You must be one of the first Punjabis I've heard to discourage Punjabi speaking like this - are you sure you're SIkh? You are right that the language was different in Gurujis times, but if you look at Bhai Gurdas's vars you can still see much of the vocabulary is still the same. Panjabi has and will expand, it should be encouraged in the diaspora. You know the old saying, "to kill a people, kill their language first." Lately research has also found that being bilingual in diverse languages can positively effect intelligence and memory.

-Why is it better to be fluent in the mother tongue, anyways the kids are french now - if I'm not wrong, am I? And they will only rarely come to India, if at all they come.

-We don't talk in gurmukhi script, we just talk. Talking in punjabi and learning gurmukhi are totally different tasks. Do you think we used to speak this punjabi,when gurujis were alive, which we speak now. It had a totally different dimension.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Basic working knowledege of Punjabi,Hindi,sanskrit,Farsi ( Persion ) Helps in Understanding Gurmukhi for sure .So we shouldnt loose a chance to learn one of them at our own Home .

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
Language is a medium to communicate your thoughts. What language was there to speak when god created this universe, but then human race invented millions of languages. Punjabi is one of those languages.
We are called punjabis just because we speak Punjabi right, a factor that makes us think that we are different from people who don't speak Punjabi. But has creation really made us different. We are closing ourselves in the name of Punjabi.

As our Punjabi language has so called grown and has taken the present shape and mould that it has, no guy e,g, a hindi speaking guy can understand what bhaiji is saying from Guru Granth sahib even though most of the words in GGS are very very close to Hindi or Other languages like Sanskrit, Farsi, Hindi, Brij etc. That is because the pronunciation has gone so different from other languages in just 300 years.

Then why worry about such form of languages which are just limiting us. Why not to be open then and take in all kind of pronunciations from different languages to make some big global language so that others can take advantage from what Guru has to offer and we could take advantage from wht they have to offer.

And this is actually happening, thanks to internet and technology.
Day is not far when Punjabi will just be a part of totality, a total language which will take care of all the languages including Punjabi. Everything is going to die and Punjabi too, but that will not be the end it will be a new beginning.
Bhul chuk maaf

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
What you say seems ok and may become reality if god will so

But it say nothing about topic disscused above

In short yes children should learn the language related to their heritage in this case it s punjabi

we cnt wait for the universal language to emerge and then do something so have to do what we have now

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
The children here are teaching us something, and we are trying to teach them back instead of leaarning . What an irony !

jssands

SPNer
Jun 10, 2007
Please just read the following..............

For the first time in a hundred years the White House marked a Sikh event to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh holy book.
At the invitation of the White House, 90 Sikhs from around the United States gathered at the White House where high-level officials of the Bush administration greeted the Sikhs with special comments and dialogue.
The programme, which began at 3:15 pm, started with a Sikh prayer and Shabad Kirtan (rendering of hymns).
According to Rajwant Singh, National Chairman of the Sikh Council on Religion and Education, Sep 1 marks the 400th anniversary of the compilation of the Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh scriptures and its installation at the Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib), located in Amritsar, India, in 1604.
The scriptures are the guiding principle for the followers of Sikhism founded by Guru Nanak.
Said Singh: "The Sikh community in the United States is extremely pleased
with President Bush's invitation on this auspicious occasion. Sikhs have
been in America for over 100 years and this definitely sends a strong signal
that this White House recognizes the Sikh presence in the US."
He said the "Sikhs are highly gratified at this unique honour given to their community."
Sikh contributions to American political developments, to the American economy and to American culture have been recognized in official circles.

ANYONE STILL THINKS "PUNJABI/GURMUKHI" SHALL PERISH.........400 SAAL TAUN ZYAADA TIME BEEET GYA HAI...........WHITE HOUSE RECOGNITION.......CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF ANY OTHER LANGUAGE OR SCRIPTURE OR HOLY BOOK HAS ACHIEVED ANYTHING??????

PUNJABI/GURMUKHI AMAR HAI AMAR RAHEGI

PUNJAABIAN DI KHAASIYAT ASAL PURE PUNJABI HI JAANDE NE

MA-BOLI NAAL JUDE' RAHOJI WAHEGURU BHALAA KAREGA

Has anybody heard a FRENCH national speak OTHER language even in his own country. They are TRUE lovers of their mother tounge.

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
How does Sikh scripture being read in white house an achievement. Is white house higher than GGS ji.

If bush would have read it that would have been an achievement... Akbar came to the Guru not otherwise. Rest you are intelligent enough.

Quote:PUNJAABIAN DI KHAASIYAT ASAL PURE PUNJABI HI JAANDE NE
What kind of ego and hatred is that... very subtle but still a hatred. Is it cos of Punjabi language?
French may be speaking only french, but what is so great in that ! Guruji himself spoke so many languages. What was guru Gobind singh's ma boli ?

Learn Gurmukhi who is stopping, but it should targeted to learn what Guru is sayin not to go on an ego trip...
Punjab was created in india on the basis of Punjabi language. Now these children might have to come to Punjab to learn Gurmukhi. Had Punjab not been created these children could have come to any part of India to learn Gurmukhi. It's time to ponder. Let these children be free from your hatred and accept all the languages as your own.

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
Where did I say it is wrong to learn Punjabi and speak it. Please mention a point where I said that.

I said why only Punjabi, learn Sanskrit, Farsi, English French etc. with equal vigor. Why force something on chilren, let them be the free souls.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Where did I say it is wrong to learn Punjabi and speak it. Please mention a point where I said that.

I said why only Punjabi, learn Sanskrit, Farsi, English French etc. with equal vigor. Why force something on chilren, let them be the free souls.

Well in your first post you said that punjabi is increasingly becoming a language to swear.
Also the children are in the age group of 9-13 so at this age parents do force things on children and there is nothing wrong forcing children to speak mother tongue.

Now as prabjyot ji is very religious so if her children also become's religious then going to
gurdwara associating with other sikh sangat will become routine for them.Now as most of the sikhs are punjabi's so obviously they will try to speak punjabi with them.At that time it become's very embarrissing for them to say that they can't speak punjabi.

Aug 13, 2004
US
T Gill ji,
Thank you for your comments. I think I understand what you are pointing to. No, punjabi is not forced upon these children as this post speaks for itself. I am finding ways to encourage children to 'use' punjabi more in order to grasp the essence of Gurbani. What could be better way to use punjabi more than to speak it in their home and with their parents and siblings? Gurbani used language of all kinds but one script i.e. Gurmukhi. Most used language is Punjabi in one or the other dialect. We are lucky to have multiple dialects within our family...me being Malvai and husband's family has Amritsar background, our close relatives from Delhi. It is true that parenting does not come as 'on-fits-all' so the things that work for me, may not work for other moms and their children....but I would like to share my experience if any one would like to try with their children. Our children spoke punjabi before they began KG, went to punjabi schools off and on...learnt a bit of Punjabi. I spent last two months with them..reading, writing and speaking punjabi. With Guru's mehar, older two ages 11,13 are taking Guru's hukum daily with negligible mistakes. For me learning Gurmukhi was not only to be able to read from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, but also to understand the essesence of shabad Guru. Before we get to computer to read the meanings of the Guru's Hukum, all of them somewhat understand what Guru ji's is saying. It is because they do understand those Punjabi words that are commonly used in Gurbani...but we all read meanings on-line. I am really fortunate to learn from these children and through these children.

Guru Ang Sang!
Guru Raakha!

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
How do you translate this phrase to Punjabi ?

If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.

Aug 13, 2004
US
How do you translate this phrase to Punjabi ?

If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.

Begum ji, I don't know who you asked the question....but as per a Sikh's life, the purpose of this life is to do 'Simran'...remember and love the ONE Waheguru. Each and everyone is part of that Almighty Waheguru, it is love of Waheguru ji that helps soul to merge back with that supreme soul (Param+Aatma)...that is the purpose of life. All other relations in life are his creation, if they are there, love them, enjoy His creation and do all that is required of you to make this life worth living...if they are not there; yet a Sikh is never alone. A sikh always rememers 'Guru mere sang sada hai naale' and a Sikh is never an orphan as he/she recites 'Tum maat pita hum baarik tere'. So the 'faith' never makes him/her lonely. Gurbani also says 'Je tu mera hoe rahen sabh jag tera hoe'

Guru raakha!

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Wow, I'm stunned. Thanks alot, Prabjyot Ji, for your soothing words. If a Guru's student has such beautiful knowledge, then I bow humbly before that Great Guru. Wah Ji Wah. You made my day. Khush Khabri.
Here is a Guldasta of Raags for you : Sajana sant aavoh mere
Raags : Guldasta (Malkauns, Bageshri, Multani, Hameer, Sorath, Jaijawanti, Durga, Bahar, Basant)

English Translation :
Click here > saajnaa sant aa-o mayrai

Aug 13, 2004
US
Thank you Begum ji :) I love Gurmeet Singh Shaant ji's kirtan & had it downloaded, just clicked to listen once again. Thanks again for being so kind.

desilegend

SPNer
Feb 9, 2008
Ireland
Idea!
Why don't you send your kids to Miri Piri Academy in Amritsar?
Miri Piri Academy
I heard that this very helpful academy. They help to keep heritage alive and help children to become leaders. I don't know the age of your kids but you might just read about it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM