• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

UK London 2012: Sikhs Allowed To Carry Daggers At Olympics

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
A lot of misunderstaning on a national newspaper site...I would appreciate anyone to join in the debate as I alone cant help the right of the Kirpan.

Some comments that I am faced with

"Sikhs should not be allowed to carry daggers,and if they do not like it,get back to their own country"

"The Sikhs are just a privileged minority who will not be arrested if they take advantage of this PC softness"

"I presume the Taliban will be well represented. No doubt with backpacks allowed. What about Cameron's promise of an immediate custodial sentence for carrying a knife?"

"And thanks awfully for WW 1 and 2 old chap, but that is utterly irrelevant to this issue"

"If the Sikh can carry his kirpan, I guess that the Ghurka will now carry his kukri ! And all other strangers that reside here will carry their begging bowls !"

I would ask any of you,..especially British Sikhs to help and answer back !!!

The Kirpan is not understood...PLEASE contact the telegraph and make comments as to the righteouness of the Kirpan.

Thank you

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...khs-allowed-to-carry-daggers-at-Olympics.html

By Josie Ensor
Security will be tight at all Games venues, with Britain prepared to deploy surface-to-air missiles to protect London during the event, Philip Hammond, the Defence Secretary, said shortly after the Government rejected reports of US security fears.

However, Sikhs will be allowed to take in a sheathed kirpan as long as it is worn beneath their clothing and if they can prove that they are adhering to four other articles of faith.

The concession of allowing Sikhs to carry a blade measuring up to 6in into Olympic venues is likely to cause concern. Such blades are normally banned from schools in Britain and are not allowed to be carried on to planes unless they are blunt and shorter than 2.4in.

In a bid to make the event the most religion-friendly Games staged, a record 193 chaplains from a multitude of faiths are being recruited, according to The Sunday Times.

The International Olympic Committee normally insists that Games facilities are laid on for Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists.

However, London 2012 will also cater for Zoroastrians, Jains and followers of the Baha'i faith.

"We want to make sure the Games are accessible to everyone. The kirpan will be presented at security but it will not be unsheathed," a London 2012 spokeswoman said.

"The policy has been set by our security team, who have liaised with stakeholders, and is part of our multi-faith approach."

The Sikh faith is the fourth biggest religion in Britain, at 0.6 per cent, according to the 2001 census.

Security has been a key concern for all Games hosts and organisers ever since the 1972 Olympics in Munich where nine kidnapped Israeli athletes and four of their captors from the Palestinian Black September group, as well as a German policeman, were killed in a gun battle.

Attachments

• Kirpan_1573875c.jpg
    Kirpan_1573875c.jpg
    35.8 KB · Reads: 272
Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Re: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/8902202/London-2012-Sikhs-allowed-to-carry-daggers-at-Olympics.html

Lionsinghji,

I thought the article itself fair, it is a crazy world out there, but they have made a concession for those that wear a Kirpan as part of the 5 K's.

My father wears a 1 inch Kirpan embedded in his Kanga, so it would not affect him..

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
Re: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/8902202/London-2012-Sikhs-allowed-to-carry-daggers-at-Olympics.html

ant the comments ? which is what I was mentioning ?:noticekudi:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA

Yes, I care. I am an Amritdhari Sikh who, of course, carries a kirpan 24/7. I avoid situations where I wouldn't be permitted to carry it. I have arranged my life so that I seldom, if ever, fly.

I believe that while the kirpan has the spiritual use (piri) of reminding us to fight injustice, it also has the temporal use (miri) of affording us self-protection. Hence, my everyday kirpan is sharp and has a short but useful 3" blade. I also have a longer, stronger one that I carry if I think I am headed into a dangerous situation. I believe that Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj wants his children to be armed and ready for whatever challenges life may present, physical as well as spiritual. Of course, some Sikhs do not have the training and self control to be safely carry a sharp kirpan; this is mandated only for the Khalsa. Others may carry it, of course, but it is optional. :swordfight-kudiyan:

Yers, Lionsingh ji, this Kaur/Sikh cares.

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010

Thank you for your honest reply. "I also have a longer, stronger one that I carry if I think I am headed into a dangerous situation " and I dont ever want you to make you feel in a dangerous situation but hope you would be by side lady.

Its a general presumpsumption that the kirpan is a "dangerous weopon" only and that people like my late grandfather would have used it in say a sporting tournament. By the time he got to it, he would have had another great-grandson winkingmunda....

The media use the word like "dagger" ...a killing object....and often it is compared to the Gurka "khukuri" which is a purely offensive weapon and really puts Rambo to shame.

For many the Kirpan is as you say "piri" and as a weapon, I could use several pens to cause more damage..as did the 7/11 evil scum.

I wonder how many of the posters have really seen a kirpan, especially the smaller ones and cremonial ones that most sikhs carry ? Compare that to a pen-knife ? But the media needs to be educated and thus the point of my thread. At least in the UK they have accepted the facts not the hysteria. Not always...but it is a good start.

However that is not always the case as the following article explains

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/62331-sikh-cricket-fan-denied-entry-in-lords/

Amritdhari Sikh refused entry in to Lords cricket stadium,London - YouTube

swordfight ................. you and me then in a fight with your big kirpan :angryyoungkaur:

:mundabhangra: motherlylove: coolmunda: Respect your pride and faith.

yours humbly ...... glad you are my side sister. japposatnamwaheguru:

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM