• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Humanism Life Of Pi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Could be no replies because few have seen the film. I am posting the 20th Century Fox trailer here. The short clip will bring tears to your eyes, and start you on the way to getting the point. This starts out a frightening journey in the real/physical world of film and turns into a mystical journey to find meaning in life and then ends with a message that knits together the physical world and the spiritual one.

Life Of Pi - Official Trailer - YouTube

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
There are many interesting things explored in the movie:
  • A child's interest in all religions
  • Leaving a place
  • Staying true to your beliefs in strange places
  • Near death experience
  • Making friends
  • Surviving
  • Understanding nature and God
  • Religion (carnivorous island)
  • Reincarnation
  • What is truth?

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
I hate such movies coz they all show 'all religions are one' things...politically correct but hardly to the point. There is generally no room for genuine criticisms of religious viewpoints. 'Oh My God!', a hindi movie was quite good in this regard in its first half before decaying into another God-worshipping dictation. 'Life of Pi' is just not another 'Avatar' as they show in the promos....
I would watch 'Skyfall' instead (more so because I luv 007 movies...).

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Funny aristotle ji

Usually I too dislike the message ... all religions are alike, preach the same thing, worship the same god. I relish the differences. But I did not see the movie in those terms. More of a case of "Now what do I do? " on the big stage.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

Aristotle ji

It wasn't really "all religions are one" (though I would see nothing wrong with that since they all come from the same Source). It was interesting watching Pi explore various religions as a child. It kept that childlike wonder in it.

I'm not going to say much in detail until I know everyone interested in the movie has seen it. Don't want to spoil it. I know it was not what I expected at all. And it was also much better because it wasn't the "usual" approach to all the topics the movie dealt with.

Nam Jiwan :interestedkudi:

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
I hate such movies coz they all show 'all religions are one' things...politically correct but hardly to the point. There is generally no room for genuine criticisms of religious viewpoints. 'Oh My God!', a hindi movie was quite good in this regard in its first half before decaying into another God-worshipping dictation.
I fully agree with this. Oh My God could have gone to higher level in second half but they got scared of doing it i guess because there were such DIRECT statements in first half. But it still gave much better message than Life of Pi where you have to make your own interpretation and focus.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

Ballym ji

But it still gave much better message than Life of Pi where you have to make your own interpretation and focus.

I like it when I'm free and responsible to search and arrive at my own conclusions. I tend to love movies that cause me to contemplate.

Nam Jiwan :interestedkudi:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM