• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Let There Be Light By I J Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Let There Be Light

by I.J. SINGH

December 7th, 2009
The news these days is of Professor Darshan Singh, a well known scholar of gurbani, who was summoned to The Akal Takht on some issues related to the Dasam Granth.

That is not at all on my mind today, but related matters are.

Darshan Singh is hardly the first person to have been so summoned on some alleged infraction or another. Not so long ago, it was Gurbaksh Singh Kala Afghana, and some years before him, Professors Pashaura Singh and Piar Singh, and in the early 20<sup>th</sup> century, it was Gurmukh Singh and Teja Singh Bhassaur who faced questioning of their respective beliefs or practices. A few notables - Surjeet Singh Barnala, Giani Zail Singh and Buta Singh - were summoned in recent memory for causes that are best described as political.

There are certain others Sikhs who, too, have achieved this dubious honour. But for a religion that is 500 years old, the number of believers who seemingly fell afoul of the Sikh Code of Conduct and were summoned to explain and justify their conduct are mercifully few when compared to the numbers who have faced pastoral wrath in many other religions - say Catholicism, as one such example.

That borders on a way of looking for validation of Sikh behaviour, so let's drop that.

There appear to be many procedural failures that one can question in the case of Professor Darshan Singh.

The latest, dating from just a few days ago, highlights a lesson that should not be ignored and would be child's play to fix.

On Saturday, December 5, 2009, The Akal Takht found Darshan Singh guilty of the charges against him. But the trial never really happened!

According to The Akal Takht, Darshan Singh had been summoned but he did not appear on the stipulated date of the trial. In a sense then, he was sentenced in absentia on the charges. I know that sometimes in legal proceedings this is the only option when the accused flees the jurisdiction of the court.

Prof. Darshan Singh claims that he was present at the stipulated venue, The Akal Takht, at the scheduled date and time, and the press as well as the sangat was witness to that. He avers that he waited an hour or so and then left.

It seems the Jathedars wanted him to appear for a trial in camera - that is, behind closed doors, with no press or members of the public present; effectively, a secret trial! - while he wanted an open trial so that the world wide Sikh community could watch the legal proceedings against him.

["In camera" is a legal term used for closed trials in situations where, for example, national security is at risk. The term, a Latin phrase, has nothing to do with cameras.]

A press release from the Jathedars confirms that their hearings are now routinely held in camera as of the past nearly ten years. Prior to that date all hearings were public - in an open setting. That is, open to the public, open to the press.

This makes we wonder.

Why on earth would one move towards secret hearings and trials? Why was the open policy changed to secret trials ten years ago?

I cannot comment on the judicial system in India but I present to you the judicial thinking and practices in the United States.

I know that not so long ago the courts in this country routinely barred TV or still cameras or any kind of live coverage. The right of press coverage and open trials is only recently won and stems from the First and the Sixth amendments. The First specifies that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech. The Sixth guarantees the accused a speedy and public trial by an impartial jury of peers.

Sometimes the two can be in conflict, for example when publicity about a particularly heinous crime might make it difficult to get an impartial jury.

Then the right to a fair trial outweighs the right of the press to free speech.
Perhaps the trial of Bruno Hauptmann for kidnapping the Lindbergh baby almost a century ago was the first open well publicized trial. But the clear trend today is towards open trials. The Appeals Court allowed cameras in the court in 1996. The Supreme Court still balks at such openness - but is nevertheless open to the public and the press.

In this matter of openness, the American system is generally no different from the Canadian system, which is no different from the British ... which is the very system that gave birth to the India's system of jurisprudence.

The Sikh view of an egalitarian progressive society, too, demands a transparent system of justice with fair rules of evidence where people have a stake and a voice. This is integral to due process in judicial proceedings. And due process is integral to being fair and just.

Surely some retrogressive steps are also seen sometimes. I point to the fate of an uncertain number - perhaps hundreds - of detainees that have spent a number of years in detention in places like Guantanamo without any hope of trials. And in that matter, the push and pull of secret trials vis a vis transparency and due process according to law dominate our attention.

We all also know the few show trials of a few of the accused of the 1984 killings of Sikhs that are an insult to justice and fair play.

Notwithstanding such blips in progress, it seems to me that the world is slowly but surely moving towards a more open system of justice where the citizens understand how the legal system functions. It makes for better and more informed citizenry.

Why then is the Akal Takht moving regressively? What state secrets are we talking about that would worry the good people at Akal Takht? What has Sikhi got to hide?

Dirty laundry is best cleansed in sunlight.
Let there be light.

Attachments

• let_there_be_light.jpg
    let_there_be_light.jpg
    4.7 KB · Reads: 203

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Re: Let There Be Light (from SikhChic)

1.Does anyone know the origin of Tankhiya and when and how did it start?

2. Who was the first one in Sikhi to get this punishment?

3.Where does it say in SGGS about this or is it copied from the Catholic " confession"?

4. What authourity do the 5 Pyaras possess, based on what Gurmat ideals?

5. What if one or more out of 5 have done the same or the similar thing and have not told anyone?

6. Who is making sure that 5 Pyaras are capable of giving punishment because taking Khandei de pahul is not suffice?

7. What happens if the decision to punish is taken out of sheer ego ( anti Gurmat ideal) rather than based on Gurmat ideals?

8. Who is the ultimate authourity?

9. Doesn't the meaning of Sant Sipahi- The Peace Warrior indicate that the person carries a lantern- a torch in one hand so that nothing is left in the dark?

Yes, Inder ji, "Let there be light".

Just thinking aloud!

Tejwant Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

4. What authourity do the 5 Pyaras possess, based on what Gurmat ideals?

Tejwant ji

If I am not wrong Guru gobind singh ji passed Gurgaddi to khalsa Panth for taking timely decisions.O/W who will take timely decision for sikhs? Without Panth there will be no Guru granth sahib

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
By the way, Did Prof. darshan Singh question that dasam Granth is totally bad? I could not hear such things in THE video. I got the real message that we should be cautious and beware of passing off the granth, though it is ....good...., as equal to your GURU.

21khalsa13

HRH
SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
on earth
Let there be light!!<?"urn:
P><P class=MsoNormal style=
Thus says Nanak: O my mind, you are the embodiment or the True Image of the Divine Light - recognize your Origin

The problem is not one of hypocrisy but of levels of understanding. There are so many contradictions in our understanding of Sikhi that a new person such as myself looking into taking the ultimate step (amrit) so bombarded with so many half truths and social control mechanisms that getting to the truth is a long way away. The people who are perpetrated these half truths are either so brain washed by these dogma or have some other agenda.
- You are only asking these asking because you doubt
to go to the guru you have to have faith – no questions asked.
- You ask the typical things that everyone asks before they can commit
- Understanding comes with guru’s kirpa – we don’t know anything
- Believe first then your understand will come.

But believe in what? What is it exactly that we are giving our heads for? Surely, not for a gurudwara committee, traditional vested interests or propagation of the ‘kaum’. I thought we gave ourselves for righteousness. But I don’t see many ‘sikhs’ fighting for freedom, peace or people around the world who are suffering. At this moment in time there are over 4 billion around the world who live below the poverty line. Where is akaal ke fauj? Women and children are being murdered, raped and slaughtered and so many people being tortured - where is akaal ke fauj? Where is our khalsa? If we see a dodgy portrayl of a sikh on TV or bollywood there is uproar. That passion should not be for defending ourselves but defending those that can’t defend themselves. Our guru, god doesn’t need defending.
Unfortunately the level of understanding of lay Sikhs is relatively low. When I talk to my committed ‘sikh’ friends they assure me that in the guru granth sahib is science and wisdom that answers questions that modern science still can’t explain. Seeing that, modern science explains so much, what is it exactly that puts ‘sikhi’ on a higher level ( if at all) than the achievements of western civilisation? I mean most ‘sikhs’ prefer the freedom of speech and democracy than the current ‘sikh’ versions of politics. If we question authority or understanding then automatically the general concensus is that you are going against the guru. When I asked learned Sikhs about this they say – you have to ignore them. So I commit to Sikhi, go to gurdwara and ask for guidance then get persecuted for asking then I ignore them. Surely that is not the correct way of things.
My question is simple what makes Sikhi higher (if it is) than the rest. So I can choose my path from a point of enlightment and choice, rather than – if you don’t take amrit the guru will be angry and you will go to hell. That is not the Sikhi I see. So I will keep on searching until I find it.
So many questions arise to a novice and so little in response.
- Did guru gobind singh jee advocate eating meat or not – not so I can eat meat or not – but huge implications in spiritrual understanding if we can or can’t. Ie kabir talks about the soul being immortal and when you stab an animal the soul is freed and returns to the cycle of birth and death – so who have you killed. This understanding is massively different to people who won’t eat meat because they don’t want to kill an animal or let meat touch there plate in fear it may pollute them.
- If guru granth sahib is our guru then how come our rehat maryada isn’t consistent with it – ie rehat maryada talks about only marrying amrit tari Sikhs – hence straight away shows hierarchy and not equality of all people
- If the purpose of anand karag is ‘ek jot’ between two souls then how come gurus had anand karag not for this purpose.
- If god is everywhere. Always why do why only show reverence to the guru in the gurdwara hall and not treat all people as god essence and divine.
- Why when the whole guru granth sahib (expect japji sahib) is written in raag, why isn’t ALL kirtaan in raag – there must be some very important reason for this, else why would the gurus put the raag infront of the message he wants us to hear.
- Why when men and women are equal - are we separated in sangat
- why in the days of the gurus was it pangat then sangat, and now sangat then pangat
- why after 9 generations of gurus did guru gobind singh jee still feel he needed to cut people heads off after he was appalled at the level of cowardice amongst Sikhs. So why were the previous 9 gurus ignored by the Sikhs
- why, when the ‘dasam granth’ so blatantly arranged after the times of guru gobind singh jee are we still arguing if it is genuine or not? I think it is simple if it was a dasam granth as some people are saying – surely guru gobind singh je would have arranged it thus.
- Why when god will give you everything you ask for – do people not believe and look so unhappy in the sangat. You would expect people to be estatic joyfull if they where sitting in the presence of a guru who was going to forfill all their minds desires. Not like death warmed up.
- Why are the janam sakhis are different to each other. So many different versions of the same stories with differing messages? And why are they so similar to sufi teaching stories and old vedic myths.
- Why in the ardas do we say – har tahi hoi sammai guru gobind singh and in reality not accept that guru gobind singh jee is everywhere?
- Why are there so many different sects with so many different maryada’s and so many different amirt sanchar ceremonies – which do I follow – more importantly which one is correct?
- And most importantly to me, why when the first line of guru grath sahib is ek ongkar satnam ie. The sat naam is the ek – ong – the one vibration of ong is the true name and the doer of everything (kar), and the whole of the guru granth sahib’s emphasis is on naam jaap, then why do we jaap ‘waheguru’ (which isn’t in the guru grath sahib) and not ‘ong’?
- Why when vichaar is such an important factor in Sikhi yet we can’t go to the gurudwara and do free vichaar? Ask our questions freely without being told off, ridiculed or patronised.
Everything seems upside down – but we are not allowed to question it – just blindly accept. No!!
These questions weren’t meant to offend but a genuine search for the truth. The unfortunate thing is the answers and understandings are not offered within the sikh committee I am exposed to ( I can already hear the people saying – that is your kismet and when the guru shows you his kirpa then all answers will be revealed) that maybe the case but then why are these answer being discussed in forums and groups of people outside of Sikhi - or by people who haven’t heard of Sikhi, what exactly is it that makes Sikhi so special. If we can’t answer simple questions then how are we better than our paths, and if we can’t answer the questions of the youth – how are we going to stop them going to other people who are offering advice and taking their questions seriously?
The essence of today’s situation is this - What is the guru trying to show us that others aren’t seeing? What makes Sikhi so special?
The Divine Light is within everyone; You are that Light. Yours is that Light which shines within everyone. By the Gurmat, this Divine Light is revealed.
It defiantly has something to do with light and recognises our true essence which is divine. Not sometime in the future, or after living a lifetime of religious life. You, we are that essence, now. we can’t change that ie stop being that divine light. What is important is what we do it. How does our light brighten the world?
One who sees that Light within each & every heart understands the Essence of the Guru’s Teachings
Many spiritual paths, involve understanding the true nature of light, hence the true nature of ourselves. Jesus says ‘ light your light shine before man’ and the Muslims call it noor, Chi or Ki in the oriental traditions and the hindus rather to it as the dharmic bull carrying the world on his shoulders. The idea is to to nurture it and become at one with it. Jot se jot, let your light merge with the supreme light. ‘ this is the true purpose of your life, all other work is pointless’, and it is in this lifetime that we achieve this gift of understanding our true spiritual identity as of divine essence. The guru granth sahib says it is in this lifetime that this blessing is available to us. We don’t need to waiting till the afterlife or beyond to earn our right it is available to us in the here and now. Life, god, spontaneous fulfilment of all our wishes, all present in the present moment – varatman. Not in the future or an experience in the past. Varatman. The past is a ghost of memories recorded badly based on the filters of our personal minds and the future is our wishes, desires and projections that have yet to come into frutitaion. The magic, the power , god is present in the here and now hazaara hazoor. God is present here and now, inside us, around us, and ready with blessings beyond our wildest dreams. A true parent ready to fill the child’s life with love, joy, and all the comforts of the world. Does our code of conduct and understanding reflect this reality? As we understanding our true essence and in what context the guru granth sahib was written, the decisions of the panth will naturally reflect the higher levels of understandings.
Modern science would agree that light is the source of life on this planet (at the very least). When the sun dies out life on earth will be no more. Light has a very important part in our existence.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thomas Edison the inventor of many great things that created the world we live in now, one of them being the lightbulb, said "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." His prediction proved to be correct. Look at the great inventions of the 20<SUP>th</SUP> century. Cars, planes, internet, organ transplants, space travel, too many to mention. I can’t even imagine living in a time when these basics weren’t around. The richest man a couple hundred years ago couldn’t have enjoyed any of these things we take for granted now. We have a creative power inside us that can draw out from ourselves the ideas and imagination that can create these amazing things. It is important to recognise the impact man has had in the past couple of hundred thousand years in the context of the hundreds of millions of years in the life of earth.
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." Napoleon Hill
Why? Because "The mind moves in the direction of our currently dominant thoughts." Earl Nightingale. Thoughts are creative karmic tools that direct the energy and give life to your ideas. It is the energy, the light the jot, that fuels and creates all the things we think about. "You and your world are composed of your thoughts. The wise man controls his thoughts." Buddha. Guru nanak dev jee says in the japji sahib – aapi vij appe kaah! The same as jesus – you reap, what you sow. Once we recognising our creative power and the source of all existence that gives life to them all we naturally causes thoughts and direct our minds to make better decisions in thought, deed and intention. We recognising we are creating the world we are experiencing now and when we understand that we will create a better more holistic experience.
What if it was life was like a TV projector – the lamp at the back (jot) the film in the middle ( our thoughts, actions and karam) and the screen at the front which shows the picture (the maya). The jot is which is our true indentity, yet we see the maya – the picture as reality. We can change the picture we see, experience by changing the things we think about and the actions we take – aapi vij appe kaa, the purpose of our existence is to become jot and let our jot merge with the supreme jot so we let out thought drop, our actions stop, maya drops, our picture of life drops and only the reality is left – jot which is vibratating at satnaam – ong. The primal vibration which is acknowledged in all the great religions and sciences – christainity – amen, judiasm – amen, islam – amin, Hinduism – aum, Buddhism – hum, the big bang, the special thing about Sikhi is the how? How do you get beyond the maya, the karam and merge with jot in this lifetime.... with full mindfulness, pure heart, focus all your attention on god, vibrate at the primal frequency, simple!!!
How does all the rules, regulations help with this goal – when our gurus clearly state that this is our sole purpose in life. our focus on growing the ‘kaum’ or protecting out traditions should not go ahead of our true purpose which is recognising our divinity and merging with god. All our rehat marayada’s should be aligned to help all people _ universally get to the goal of merging with god rather than upholding false traditions. And the akaal ke fauj – the khalsa should be the highest goal not the first step. The first step is merging with god, that anyone at any time in the world can do and once we have merged then we can do seva and serve the world – how can a hungry man feed the world – how can a blind man show you the way. Lets get it the right way around – put the horse infront of the cart. Let there be light!!
The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own. --Benjamin Disraeli

Last edited by a moderator:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Tejwant ji

If I am not wrong Guru gobind singh ji passed Gurgaddi to khalsa Panth for taking timely decisions.O/W who will take timely decision for sikhs? Without Panth there will be no Guru granth sahib

Kanwardeep ji,

Guru Fateh.

I agree with you but all those decisions by the Khalsa Panth which was started by Guru Nanak,have to be based on the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib ji, our only Guru. If decisions are not based on that but on Me-ism, then Khalsa Panth is being anti our only Guru- the SGGS, hence anti Sikhi.

LOL... There you go again with your meaningless slogan which is an insult to SGGS, our only Guru.

Let me give you another slogan," If there is no Guru Granth Sahib ji, then there is no Khalsa Panth, no Sikhi." Period.

Thanks to Ik Ong Kaar and our visionary Gurus, we have Guru Granth Sahib ji, our only Guru, our only benchmark for decision taking and making in Sikhi, no matter who the said authourity is.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Let me give you another slogan," If there is no Guru Granth Sahib ji, then there is no Khalsa Panth, no Sikhi." Period.

I agree with you with you that Without Guru granth Sahib There is no sikhi.But Guru granth sahib is written in poetry and there are different interpretations of it so which interpretation is right which is wrong.I am sure You used to read posts of Sahil makkar and
some others on SPN who used quotes from Guru granth sahib to prove that Living Guru is essential.Similarly many baba's Guru's even the Hindu one use Quotes From Guru granth sahib to prove their points.

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Let there be light!!<?"urn:
P><P class=MsoNormal style=

At this moment in time there are over 4 billion around the world who live below the poverty line. Where is akaal ke fauj? Women and children are being murdered, raped and slaughtered and so many people being tortured - where is akaal ke fauj? Where is our khalsa? If we see a dodgy portrayl of a sikh on TV or bollywood there is uproar. That passion should not be for defending ourselves but defending those that can’t defend themselves. Our guru, god doesn’t need defending.
General concensus is that you are going against the guru. When I asked learned Sikhs about this they say – you have to ignore them.
My question is simple what makes Sikhi higher (if it is) than the rest. So I can choose my path from a point of enlightment and choice, rather than – if you don’t take amrit the guru will be angry and you will go to hell. That is not the Sikhi I see. So I will keep on searching until I find it.

If guru granth sahib is our guru then how come our rehat maryada isn’t consistent with it – ie rehat maryada talks about only marrying amrit tari Sikhs – hence straight away shows hierarchy and not equality of all people

- If god is everywhere. Always why do why only show reverence to the guru in the gurdwara hall and not treat all people as god essence and divine.

- Why when men and women are equal - are we separated in sangat

- So why were the previous 9 gurus ignored by the Sikhs
- why, when the ‘dasam granth’ so blatantly arranged after the times of guru gobind singh jee are we still arguing if it is genuine or not? I think it is simple if it was a dasam granth as some people are saying – surely guru gobind singh je would have arranged it thus.

- And most importantly to me, why when the first line of guru grath sahib is ek ongkar satnam ie. The sat naam is the ek – ong – the one vibration of ong is the true name and the doer of everything (kar), and the whole of the guru granth sahib’s emphasis is on naam jaap, then why do we jaap ‘waheguru’ (which isn’t in the guru grath sahib) and not ‘ong’?
- Why when vichaar is such an important factor in Sikhi yet we can’t go to the gurudwara and do free vichaar? Ask our questions freely without being told off, ridiculed or patronised.

and if we can’t answer the questions of the youth – how are we going to stop them going to other people who are offering advice and taking their questions seriously?

it is available to us in the here and now. Life, god, spontaneous fulfilment of all our wishes, all present in the present moment – varatman. the special thing about Sikhi is the how? How do you get beyond the maya, the karam and merge with jot in this lifetime.... with full mindfulness, pure heart, focus all your attention on god, vibrate at the primal frequency, simple!!!

Well written! I just quoted some portion to re-emphasize.
Just to add some points... We sit separately in Gurudwara to avoid natural distraction. If one can conquer that , it is good but it is not easy, so men and women sit separately. Equality is visible in Langar where focus is not a primary requirement.
Khalsa Fauj is busy protecting their Sants, SGPC, Money, Pradhaangi ........ It is surprising that the Gurudwaras are still rich enough to be attractive for these people. Last paragraph above is worth following to get true bliss and relaxing yourself.
Waaheguru is just another symbol to do jaap...found convenient... there should not be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: