• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learning From My Neighbors: A Sikh's Interfaith Journey

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
While growing up as a kid in northern India in the early 1980s, I fondly remember one of my best friends in high school, Sher Ali Khan. He was a devout Muslim.

While in 9th grade, Sher Ali called me over to his home for the Islamic festival of Eid. The food at the table was overflowing and beautifully decorated. But a dilemma faced me soon. All the meat on the table was halal -- a special religious technique of preparation of meat in the Islamic faith that I as a Sikh was forbidden to eat, due to the Sikh Rehat Maryada (Principles of Sikh Living). So I chose to stay a silent vegetarian that day partaking only of vegetables and sweets.

A couple of months later, he was over at our home for dinner and we had cooked meat without any religious preparation. Since the meat was not halal, Sher Ali became a vegetarian for that meal.

At that time I thought that our religions were getting in the way of our friendship. But as I reflect on it now, it seems that we were learning how to negotiate our religious differences.

In 1989, I came to the United States to pursue my Ph.D. degree at The Ohio State University. I was at least an ocean and a continent away from my parents and family.

The first question I asked myself was, "Do I even want to continue being religious?" After significant introspection, the answer became clear: yes, I wanted to be religious. But this was followed by another question: "What religious tradition should I be a part of?"

I remember approaching a local member of the Catholic clergy asking for his advice on what religious path to consider pursuing. His response surprised me. He asked me to look deeply into the faith I had grown up in and asked me to come back to him after giving my faith one more chance.

As you may have guessed by now, I never went back to that priest. But I am indebted to him for his advice. Here was someone from another religious tradition that helped me to grow in my own religious tradition. His advice on spirituality transcended the boundaries of religion.

Today, as I reflect on my friendship with my Muslim high school friend and the Catholic spiritual adviser, it is clear to me that the many diverse religions of the world are complimentary to each other and not in competition with each other. These are values upon which the Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions is built upon.

Mutual respect and understanding across religious boundaries is a fundamental need of humanity today. The interfaith and inter-religious movements are at a critical juncture. How do we expand the circle of those engaged in this work, and how do we deepen the engagement of those already involved? These are the issues that the Parliament helps to address so we can make this world a safer and more just place for our children and grandchildren.

This article was first published by the Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-tarunjit-singh-butalia/interfaith-journey-reflections_b_872653.html

Attachments

• taranjit_singh_bhutalia.jpg
    taranjit_singh_bhutalia.jpg
    22 KB · Reads: 248

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM