• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn And Let Flow

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Learn And Let Flow
We Don't Need To Suffer

The idea that we have to suffer or live in poverty in order to be spiritual is an old one and can be found in the belief systems of many philosophies. Most of us carry this idea around subconsciously, and we may be holding ourselves back from financial or emotional well-being, believing that this is what we must do in order to be virtuous, spiritually awake, or feel less guilty for the suffering of others.

While it's true that there can be a spiritual purpose to experiencing a lack of material well-being, it is rarely intended to be a permanent or lifelong experience. What we are meant to find when material or emotional resources are in short supply is that there is more to our lives than the physical realm. Intense relationships and material abundance can distract us from the subtler realm of the spirit, so a time of deficiency can be spiritually awakening. However, once we recognize the realm of spirit, and remember to hold it at the center of our lives, there is no reason to dwell in poverty or emotional isolation. In fact, once our connection to spirit is fully intact, we feel so compelled to share our abundance that lack becomes a thing of the past.

If you find that you are experiencing suffering in some area of your physical life, perhaps your spirit is asking you to look deeper in your search for what you want. For example, if you want money so that you can experience the feeling of security but money keeps eluding you, your spirit may be asking you to understand that security is not to be found through money. Security comes from an unshakable connection to your soul. Once you make that connection, money will probably flow more easily into your life. If relationships elude you, your spirit may be calling you to recognize that the love you seek is not to be found in another person. And yet, ironically, once you find the love, your true love may very well appear. If you feel stuck in suffering to live a spiritual life, try to spend some time writing about it. The root of the problem will appear and it may not be what you expected. Remember, the Universe wants you to be happy.

http://www.dailyom.com/articles/2006/4858.html

El D

SPNer
Sep 6, 2006
well done soul jyot. I think you actually almost hit the nail on the head!. Although their is no actual major link to the amassing of material wealth and the amassing of spirituality of a loftiness it is well known fact that those born with wealth are always looking for that which they are missing. whether they dabble in drugs or alcohol or other such things on their path they cannot and will not become enlightened. the true path to spiritual enlightenment can only be acheived when the heart is opened to the one-ness of God. in practical times this is mostly acheived in times of hardship or serious cases of self contemplation.
You say that it can be acheived by simply writing about it. I say SubhaanAllah, you are absolutely CORRECT. That is the beginning of the journey and a very good start to it i might add. once on the path and actually realising the path is there is when your heart can begin to open up. ultimately when you have truly become spiritual in all aspects can you turn and face the world as it is today. then even if you do become a billion heir it makes no difference to you except for your immediate environment.
Saints of days gone by actually gave up all their wealth in order to walk the path. some were actually kings (i.e king of Afghanistan 11th century) some were princes, some were robbers, some were drunkards ( i assume you get the picture) Guru Nanak walked the path, i ask you of him did he become materially richer at any stage?. No. Did he suffer hardship?. Maybe. If he had the chance to change?. Hardly.
we can but hope that the lives of those great personalities rub off on us and serve as the examples in life as they had aimed to do so. researching into their past actually works wonders on a determined heart, mind and soul.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: