• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Lakh Khushiyan Patshaiyan | ਲਖ ਖੁਸੀਆ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੀਆ ਜੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
This month we’re celebrating the 10th anniversary of SPN. Most of us are familiar with the shabad “Lakh Khushiyan Patshaian” which is frequently sung at happy occasions. It is probably the most requested shabad of all! I thought it would be good to use this occasion to explore this shabad together and figure out what the true message is and what it means for us in our daily life.

jump_for_joy.jpg

I thought I would try a different technique this week and the shabad will be spread across 2 weeks. In order to encourage conversation I’ll only post my interpretation next week. I’m providing the shabad in full with a translation of each word. The words discussed by Prof Sahib Singh are presented with his meanings. The other words are presented from my Panjabi knowledge (which is limited) so corrections very welcome! Where there are multiple meanings, I will try and provide them all.

Please put the words together and come up with your own understanding for sharing. Please share so we can all learn together…

This shabad can be found on Ang 44. It is written in Sree Raag by Guru Arjun Ji.

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
सिरीरागु महला ५ ॥
Sirīrāg mėhlā 5.
Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਭੇ ਥੋਕ ਪਰਾਪਤੇ ਜੇ ਆਵੈ ਇਕੁ ਹਥਿ ॥
सभे थोक परापते जे आवै इकु हथि ॥
Sabẖe thok parāpaṯe je āvai ik hath.
All things are received if the One is obtained.

ਜਨਮੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਸਫਲੁ ਹੈ ਜੇ ਸਚਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਥਿ ॥
जनमु पदारथु सफलु है जे सचा सबदु कथि ॥
Janam paḏārath safal hai je sacẖā sabaḏ kath.
The precious gift of this human life becomes fruitful when one chants the True Word of the Shabad.

ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਰਾਪਤੇ ਜਿਸੁ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਹੋਵੈ ਮਥਿ ॥੧॥
गुर ते महलु परापते जिसु लिखिआ होवै मथि ॥१॥
Gur ṯe mahal parāpaṯe jis likẖi▫ā hovai math. ||1||
One who has such destiny written on his forehead enters the Mansion of the Lord's Presence, through the Guru. ||1||

ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਏਕਸ ਸਿਉ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥
मेरे मन एकस सिउ चितु लाइ ॥
Mere man ekas si▫o cẖiṯ lā▫e.
O my mind, focus your consciousness on the One.

ਏਕਸ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਭ ਧੰਧੁ ਹੈ ਸਭ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਮਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
एकस बिनु सभ धंधु है सभ मिथिआ मोहु माइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ėkas bin sabẖ ḏẖanḏẖ hai sabẖ mithi▫ā moh mā▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Without the One, all entanglements are worthless; emotional attachment to Maya is totally false. ||1||Pause||

ਲਖ ਖੁਸੀਆ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੀਆ ਜੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ ॥
लख खुसीआ पातिसाहीआ जे सतिगुरु नदरि करेइ ॥
Lakẖ kẖusī▫ā pāṯisāhī▫ā je saṯgur naḏar kare▫i.
Hundreds of thousands of princely pleasures are enjoyed, if the True Guru bestows His Glance of Grace.

ਨਿਮਖ ਏਕ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਇ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
निमख एक हरि नामु देइ मेरा मनु तनु सीतलु होइ ॥
Nimakẖ ek har nām ḏe▫e merā man ṯan sīṯal ho▫e.
If He bestows the Name of the Lord, for even a moment, my mind and body are cooled and soothed.

ਜਿਸ ਕਉ ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਚਰਨ ਗਹੇ ॥੨॥
जिस कउ पूरबि लिखिआ तिनि सतिगुर चरन गहे ॥२॥
Jis ka▫o pūrab likẖi▫ā ṯin saṯgur cẖaran gahe. ||2||
Those who have such pre-ordained destiny hold tight to the Feet of the True Guru. ||2||

ਸਫਲ ਮੂਰਤੁ ਸਫਲਾ ਘੜੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਸਚੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥
सफल मूरतु सफला घड़ी जितु सचे नालि पिआरु ॥
Safal mūraṯ saflā gẖaṛī jiṯ sacẖe nāl pi▫ār.
Fruitful is that moment, and fruitful is that time, when one is in love with the True Lord.

ਦੂਖੁ ਸੰਤਾਪੁ ਨ ਲਗਈ ਜਿਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੁ ॥
दूखु संतापु न लगई जिसु हरि का नामु अधारु ॥
Ḏūkẖ sanṯāp na lag▫ī jis har kā nām aḏẖār.
Suffering and sorrow do not touch those who have the Support of the Name of the Lord.

ਬਾਹ ਪਕੜਿ ਗੁਰਿ ਕਾਢਿਆ ਸੋਈ ਉਤਰਿਆ ਪਾਰਿ ॥੩॥
बाह पकड़ि गुरि काढिआ सोई उतरिआ पारि ॥३॥
Bāh pakaṛ gur kādẖi▫ā so▫ī uṯri▫ā pār. ||3||
Grasping him by the arm, the Guru lifts them up and out, and carries them across to the other side. ||3||

ਥਾਨੁ ਸੁਹਾਵਾ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਥੈ ਸੰਤ ਸਭਾ ॥
थानु सुहावा पवितु है जिथै संत सभा ॥
Thān suhāvā paviṯ hai jithai sanṯ sabẖā.
Embellished and immaculate is that place where the Saints gather together.

ਢੋਈ ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਨੋ ਮਿਲੈ ਜਿਨਿ ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਲਭਾ ॥
ढोई तिस ही नो मिलै जिनि पूरा गुरू लभा ॥
Dẖo▫ī ṯis hī no milai jin pūrā gurū labẖā.
He alone finds shelter, who has met the Perfect Guru.

ਨਾਨਕ ਬਧਾ ਘਰੁ ਤਹਾਂ ਜਿਥੈ ਮਿਰਤੁ ਨ ਜਨਮੁ ਜਰਾ ॥੪॥੬॥੭੬॥
नानक बधा घरु तहां जिथै मिरतु न जनमु जरा ॥४॥६॥७६॥
Nānak baḏẖā gẖar ṯahāʼn jithai miraṯ na janam jarā. ||4||6||76||
Nanak builds his house upon that site where there is no death, no birth, and no old age. ||4||6||76||

:tablakudi::mundaviolin:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Brilliant strategy. I know that some members will like it in the extreme and try their hand an "interpretation" and then understand why that is so essential.

The word is important. The idea is important. This significance of the words and ideas is important. So we now have a chance to bridge from word to idea, and map the message onto word and idea. That is what language is about.

Thanks so much :kaurkhalsaflagred:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Excellent idea sisji, I find the english translations make you lazy and your interpretation tends to go the same way as the written translation, this makes us all a bit more pro active at finding the hidden jewels that are so easy to miss, it will take longer to post but certainly a lot more worthwhile, I particularly like the jumping frog in the picture!

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Excellent idea sisji, I find the english translations make you lazy and your interpretation tends to go the same way as the written translation, this makes us all a bit more pro active at finding the hidden jewels that are so easy to miss, it will take longer to post but certainly a lot more worthwhile, I particularly like the jumping frog in the picture!

Thanks Veerji, the inspiration to try this method came to me from something you said to me! It's always interesting to look at each line then also look at the shabad as a whole. I am looking forward to reading the sangat's understanding :interestedsingh:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

I wish I had kept my mouth shut now, its very tempting to goto Srigranth.org and get the quick english translation, but I have been racking my brain for 20 mins just getting past the first line. I have rang my mother, whose take was if you put your faith in the almighty then you will get what you wish, or words to that effect, I cannot buy this, the spirit of the SGGS seems against this, lauding connection over personal wants or wishes, also if I may be so bold sisji, and my Punjabis probably on a par with Ishnasisji's, but although hath ave does mean to obtain, the line is ave ek hath, ave means to come, ek is one, hath is hand, the hand of God? which backs up my mothers translation, so help needed from someone wiser before I move on, HELP! I am not and have never been a scholar!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
thok can also mean thing, rather than material objects, according to the online dictionary,

so everything is attainable according to the hand of God?

ok, so tying that in with my own life experience,

everything that could be attainable is attainable if one lives in Ek Onkars grace

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

What if we stick with sacha being the truth?

this becomes, your one and only life will only reach its full potential if you truly understand the essence of Ek Onkar?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Connection is only obtainable by the grace of Ek Onkar?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

without the connection everything is difficult, all that remains is the greed of material wealth, which is illusory?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
ਸਭੇ ਥੋਕ ਪਰਾਪਤੇ ਜੇ ਆਵੈ ਇਕੁ ਹਥਿ ॥Sabhae Thhok Paraapathae Jae Aavai Eik Hathh ||
ਸਭੇ = All
ਥੋਕ = material objects
ਪਰਾਪਤੇ = attain
ਜੇ = if
ਹਥਿ ਆਵੈ = to obtain
ਇਕੁ = 1
I wish I had kept my mouth shut now, its very tempting to goto Srigranth.org and get the quick english translation, but I have been racking my brain for 20 mins just getting past the first line. I have rang my mother, whose take was if you put your faith in the almighty then you will get what you wish, or words to that effect, I cannot buy this, the spirit of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji seems against this, lauding connection over personal wants or wishes, also if I may be so bold sisji, and my Punjabis probably on a par with Ishnasisji's, but although hath ave does mean to obtain, the line is ave ek hath, ave means to come, ek is one, hath is hand, the hand of God? which backs up my mothers translation, so help needed from someone wiser before I move on, HELP! I am not and have never been a scholar!

thok can also mean thing, rather than material objects, according to the online dictionary,
so everything is attainable according to the hand of God?
ok, so tying that in with my own life experience,
everything that could be attainable is attainable if one lives in Ek Onkars grace

Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

You have made me very gleeful with your great efforts.

Allow me my 2 cent worth.

This Shabad is full of a play on words.

Thok in Punjabi actually means wholesale(in bulk). Something at a wholesale price, a bargain.

ਸਭੇ ਥੋਕ ਪਰਾਪਤੇ ਜੇ ਆਵੈ ਇਕੁ ਹਥਿ ॥Sabhae Thhok Paraapathae Jae Aavai Eik Hathh ||

To put it bluntly, if one has the right connection-Ik Ong Kaar-at Petticoat Lane on Sunday, then one can get the loot of Naam for a song.

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thank you so much findingmyway ji! This is very exciting!

Attempt is in purple. Haven't done this before and took great liberties, some lines are pure guesswork, so please forgive any misrepresentations. In fact it might be best to delete the post. I don't want to give others the wrong ideas.

PS. Gee this is challenging.

---

This shabad can be found on Ang 44. It is written in Sree Raag by Guru Arjun Ji.

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

If you obtain the One you obtain everything.

This precious human life is successful if you understand the Guru's true instruction (message/shabad).

Connection to Ik Onkar is obtained by whoever has that kind of disposition.

Oh my mind, keep focused!

ਰਹਾਉ = stop here, contemplate and reflect on the shabad so far, especially the last 2 lines as this is the key for the whole shabad

Nothing is ever enough for one who is greedy for material wealth, even thought it's all just an illusion. [I really struggled with this one]

ਲਖ ਖੁਸੀਆ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੀਆ ਜੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ ॥

All happiness is granted if blessed by Ik Onkar.

ਨਿਮਖ ਏਕ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਇ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਹੋਇ ॥

In a split second the (recognition of) one reality gives my mind and body peace.

ਜਿਸ ਕਉ ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਚਰਨ ਗਹੇ ॥੨॥

The person whose actions have been in consonance will take hold of Ik Onkar's feet.

ਸਫਲ ਮੂਰਤੁ ਸਫਲਾ ਘੜੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਸਚੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥

Time spent in love with the Truth is time well spent.

ਦੂਖੁ ਸੰਤਾਪੁ ਨ ਲਗਈ ਜਿਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੁ ॥

The person who has reality as their support doesn't feel sorrow or torment.

ਬਾਹ ਪਕੜਿ ਗੁਰਿ ਕਾਢਿਆ ਸੋਈ ਉਤਰਿਆ ਪਾਰਿ ॥੩॥

(It's like) The Guru takes their arm, removes their sorry and torment, and guides them through (life).

ਥਾਨੁ ਸੁਹਾਵਾ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਥੈ ਸੰਤ ਸਭਾ ॥

It's a beautiful place where the true sangat is.

ਢੋਈ ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਨੋ ਮਿਲੈ ਜਿਨਿ ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਲਭਾ ॥

They help the person find Ik Onkar.

ਨਾਨਕ ਬਧਾ ਘਰੁ ਤਹਾਂ ਜਿਥੈ ਮਿਰਤੁ ਨ ਜਨਮੁ ਜਰਾ ॥੪॥੬॥੭੬॥

Nanak created a solid foundation (of Gurbani) upon which we avoid spiritual death and our soul lives on.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I think not having the outdated translations and relying on our own experiences and interpretations is brilliant, fantastic thread ! loved your post Ish

Thanks brother. The attempt is merely a child's stick-figure crayon drawing made possible by findingmyway's effort. It misses all the subtlety of playing on words that Tejwant ji pointed out, and as you've discovered single words can be deep with meaning.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Maerae Man Eaekas Sio Chith Laae ||

The rahao line gives the real message of this shabad.

I think that Gyaniji mentioned how some shabads are misused and taken away from their truer meanings and i believe this is one of them.

I don't want to spoil the mood or take it away from the kushian aspects in any way, but i feel it important to see the shabad for what it really is and not just for raagis that enjoy the pleasures of sangat donations when they start playing this 'hit' !!!!
Because we know at an akhand path or wedding to mark some joyous occasion when the raagis play this, the whole sangat gets up to make the offerings of 'vadiyaan' !! and this shabad has become a 'hit' as such due to the ppublic demand for this reason of vadiyaaan.

Looking at the important rahao tuk as above.

Maerae Man Eaekas Sio Chith Laae,

My mind, be in Love and focus your consciousness (chit) with the ONE GOD, The Almighty.
Everything other than the ONE True lord is just false, all Maya,material attainments and desires will be of no use and are all false.

Paying attention to this then we can realise that the famous line

''Lakh Khuseeaa Paathisaaheeaa Jae Sathigur Nadhar Karaee'' has a slightly different approach and is not about God bestowing his grace or nadar to ones that have this destined for them !!!

Because- if we think about it and i've thought about it alot, -is that God just doesn't sit there and offer his nadar and glance to the privileged via some pot luck or divine lottery pick does he????
Then HOW exactly does one get this ??

I believe that the nadar or blessing is ALWAYS there, it's just our lack of effort towards him that stops us experiencing this.
Just like a teacher is there for the whole classroom but it's upto the individual students to make the effort to learn what is being taught and become experts on the topic.

In the same way, God's blessings are there for ALL of us, but it's up to us to make the effort and take an approach to experience them.

I firmly believe that if we take ONE step towards him with effort, then he blesses us by taking another TEN or more towards us.

It's all about our OWN self efforts to unite with the ONE that can give us the blessings of khushian.

The shabad gives the impression of mahal(mansions) and material wealth gains as well as the blessings of his nadar may being granted to some for whom it is pre destined and written.-ALL this is incorrect and goes away from the meaning of the rahao tuk but it sounds good to be talking about mansions and the lucky ones with blessings at times of celebration and khushian.

To further add to the Rahao line, i would say that ''oh my mind focus this chit on the ONE true Lord who is ALWAYS there to bless us- only if we make the move to accept his blessings via some effort.''

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I am not sure brother, should we then worship the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji? or should we read it?

we should READ...LISTEN...FOLLOW...and ADAPT the teachings in our DAILY MOMENTS....each SECOND....in other words put to use...practical use..the TOOLS we are provided in the SGGS to CHANGE our daily lives...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: