• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kirpan During Air Travel

Dec 27, 2004
Hertfordshire England
Dear John,

Sikhi arrived when forcible conversions were on, and there was little freedom of religion.

Sikh Gurus raised the voice against the social injustices in various forms. Finally, Guru Gobind Singh brought Khalsa forward with a msg like - when all peaceful means fail, it is ok to raise a sword. First importance is ALWAYS to peace, but when all means to bring brain back to head fail, it is ok to do the needful.

I tried my best, may be other members could explain better.

Thanks for asking.

Regards, Arvind.

Thanks Arvind I understand a little better.
Now I know Sikh do not believe like Muslim that they must convert infidel by word or sword, so for me having Sikh with Knife is no problem.

However with all the problems we now have and the very real fear that someone with a knife who went mad could bring down a plane, is it not possible for dear Sikh friends to put their knife in the hold?
Why would this compromise Sikh faith?:wink:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
dear coopes the problem is that some sects of sikhism is aggressively promoting that 5ks should not be separated from the body for even a single minute which i disagree.you are right some fake guys could hijack plane pretending to be a sikh.those sects should understand this.

Dec 27, 2004
Hertfordshire England
dear coopes the problem is that some sects of sikhism is aggressively promoting that 5ks should not be separated from the body for even a single minute which i disagree.you are right some fake guys could hijack plane pretending to be a sikh.those sects should understand this.

Do you think that this could ever be resolved so that Sikh does not feel that they have compromised their beliefs and the rest of us don’t have to worry whether the person who just boarded the plane is true Sikh and not some deranged terrorist who is pretending to be Sikh?
Also what if Sikh was overpowered by deranged lunatic and that lunatic got hold of Kirpan and proceeded to jihad on fellow passengers?
I have every sympathy with Sikh’s but feel that this is a non negotiable law.

Plane + Kirpan = danger

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Do you think that this could ever be resolved so that Sikh does not feel that they have compromised their beliefs and the rest of us don’t have to worry whether the person who just boarded the plane is true Sikh and not some deranged terrorist who is pretending to be Sikh?
Also what if Sikh was overpowered by deranged lunatic and that lunatic got hold of Kirpan and proceeded to jihad on fellow passengers?
I have every sympathy with Sikh’s but feel that this is a non negotiable law.

Plane + Kirpan = danger

dear coopes

what do you mean by resolved?majority of sikhs are non amritdhari they don't even wear kirpan.akal
takhat the highest body of sikhs has never said anything that sikhs should not remove kirpan.as i earlier said some sects are aggressively promoting
this so if you want that they should be satisfied then
i don't think it is possible.i agree with you that this is non negotiable law.those orthodox sikhs should understand this or they should not travel by air.
i don't want any tragedy to happen involing a sikh
or a fake.

Dec 27, 2004
Hertfordshire England
dear coopes

what do you mean by resolved?majority of sikhs are non amritdhari they don't even wear kirpan.akal
takhat the highest body of sikhs has never said anything that sikhs should not remove kirpan.as i earlier said some sects are aggressively promoting
this so if you want that they should be satisfied then
i don't think it is possible.i agree with you that this is non negotiable law.those orthodox sikhs should understand this or they should not travel by air.
i don't want any tragedy to happen involing a sikh
or a fake.

O, sorry. I thought Kirpan was becoming an issue with Sikh’s. We had at Manchester airport an issue with a Sikh and Kirpan earlier this year.:{-:)

Regards

John c

BaljeetSingh

SPNer
Jun 24, 2005
USA
Dear John - I live in USA and recently made a presentation about Sikhs to local Police Cheif. The police cheif was very cooperative and asked me similar question about removing kirpan from a Sikh's person when searching a (Sikh) suspect stopped on a highway for any reason. I did not have a simple yes or no answer to that question without provoking an angry response from one section of Sikhs.

I travel by air with USA on a weekly basis and have decided to travel without a kirpan. I feel like I have left a portion of myself at home. The reason being that we as Sikhs pray in our daily prayers..."Jaha Jaha Khalsa Taha Taha Racchaiya Rihayat" meaning...wherever there is Khalsa, there is protection to weak. A Sikh is duty bound to help. A Sikh can be identified in a crowd of hundreds with his turban. So, I am not sure if there is a need to help, will I be able to protect (without my kirpaan).

As regards it is a non-negotiable law....Well....laws are changed every day in all countries. The term is called Constitution Amendment. What we as Sikhs need to do is lobby the law makers and come up with a reasonable solution to this "issue" and amend the law as necessary. What that reasonable solution is something I do not have a clear answer (yet).

Regards

jasbirsingh

SPNer
May 26, 2005
bhilai-india
guru fateh every body,read the discussion ..
dont laugh but i m serious,
today v need our own air lines AIR-KHALSA to stop making fun of commitment s made before guru roop panj pyares.v need some l n mittals.& few bill gates in our community.. b,cos without good money & power nothing is possible.
guru fateh

manjeet007

SPNer
Oct 16, 2006
cuttack, orissa
hi,
i really appreciate ur feeling towards the shri saheb

personnally i feel there is no problem keeping the shri saheb away for some time, it is ur feeling, ur attachment towards the shri saheb that matters unless u abides the teachings of the akal purakh it's all right

Jul 10, 2006
guru fateh every body,read the discussion ..
dont laugh but i m serious,
today v need our own air lines AIR-KHALSA to stop making fun of commitment s made before guru roop panj pyares.v need some l n mittals.& few bill gates in our community.. b,cos without good money & power nothing is possible.
guru fateh

You are correct. Lets all do sincere Ardaas for this.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Das uses smaller version of Kirpan on air.In UK, India,Russia and UAE,it is fine.

Das has worked with the securty agency.As per law in India,we can have Kirpan on all domestic flights but shoulkd be less then 6' and blade not more the 2.5'.And some time this law could be suspended after 9/11 and in past Pro Khalistan guys did highjacked Indian plane with Kirpans.

But at present planes are such that,that they can be highjacked but soon,we will have a sort of plane taking half hour from London to newYork and to open the {censored}pit,it may take 45 mintutes.

Only way that could be left would be crash the plane due to de comprression as that plane will be not in air but more in 'space' or outer ost fringe of atomsphere.

So we can have knife proof windows in which first iron grill needs to be broken before glass can be broken.Or in emergeny an iron grill can cover glaass.

We some time have to think like a terrorist before we actuly make way to conter them.

So some one can take our guise and can highjack if large Kirpan is there.

But if we have locks of speacial types provided by air authorities,then can surrong our Kirpan during flights and can be opened after flight is over.Therre could be some practialce problems in that but we can over come that.Sky Marshalls can be trained to over come knife attacks also.

Lastly,it is fact that to be Singh,we have to get baptised.And after that we have to have Kirpan or Kirpa Pan or Hand of mercy by Akal.

But as we are told to use Kirpan to protect and not to kill,but someone not among us but posing like us can create problems.But this situation will change one day.

Even after wearing small Kirpan during air trevel,das use to go to Gurudwara,to seek pardoning for adjusting to present circumstances,not our fult nor the fault of authorities but due to evil Jehadis.

adeep646

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
Sachkand
WjiK WjiF
The Sri Guru Granth Sahib does not say anything about the "amrit" (sweet water) that people drink from 5 impure persons and call themselves cleansed amrit dahri's. The 5 Pyare were Sants who gave the Satguru everything. and Ona 5 Sach de Darshan Karai ate Sach vich Samagge.you should first become a Sant before you become Sant-Sipahi. The Sukhmani Sahib describes who is a true Sant. Those that have been blessed to know the Akath Katha and to spread this knowledge. The Guru Granth SAhib JI describes, explains the road to MILAP. you must wash the mind, by washing the body you do not become pure.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM