• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Khanda Tattoo Placement Question

37solider

SPNer
Sep 3, 2012
I have a khanda tattooed on my thigh, above the knee. I recently saw a video on youtube where a guy got some khandas tattooed on his knee's and people said it was disrespectful because it touches the ground. It made me think about my tattoo... I like that people cannot see my tattoo, it is personal, and since it is above the knee it will not touch the ground. I was just wondering if it would be perceived as disrespectful? I know some do not like tattoos so I don't mean tattoos in general but just the location of it is what i am asking. I also have a khanda and ik onkar right on my chest, covering one whole side so it is not just on my thigh.

Just wanted some input on this... I mean if it is considered disrespectful I could cover the tattoo up but it really is a beautiful piece and wouldn't it be even more disrespectful to cover it up completely?

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I have a khanda tattooed on my thigh, above the knee. I recently saw a video on youtube where a guy got some khandas tattooed on his knee's and people said it was disrespectful because it touches the ground. It made me think about my tattoo... I like that people cannot see my tattoo, it is personal, and since it is above the knee it will not touch the ground. I was just wondering if it would be perceived as disrespectful? I know some do not like tattoos so I don't mean tattoos in general but just the location of it is what i am asking. I also have a khanda and ik onkar right on my chest, covering one whole side so it is not just on my thigh.

Just wanted some input on this... I mean if it is considered disrespectful I could cover the tattoo up but it really is a beautiful piece and wouldn't it be even more disrespectful to cover it up completely?

Dear Jios..
DISRESPECT is IN the MIND...as Gurbani teaches us...so rest assured.
The Khanda "touching the ground..our MATHA touches the ground...our FEET touch the Ground all their LIFE...BUT IF those FEET LEAD US TOWARDS THE GURU..they are More blessed than the MATHA/HEAD/BRAIN that forces the feet to the PUB...( its not a paradox...the feet are in the Gurdwara..but the MIND/Mann/Matha is in the PUB !! it happens...)...
Blessings

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
Makes me wonder, when the modern khanda was evolving with soldiers in the British and Patiala forces, did the soldiers have tattoos and/or badges in different places?

If a soldiers was injured or killed, his khanda symbol would land on the ground, with dirt and blood etc?

Also this khanda symbol would have been mainly worn by soldiers first before it became used by civilians, of which AKJ (Then known as Bhai Randhir Singh da jatha) were probably one of the civilian pioneers in uptake of this symbol.

GodIsTruth

SPNer
Aug 30, 2012
Hi 37Soldier Ji,

The Creator knows the intention behind your tattoo is pure and that you do not wish to disrespect the Khanda, this is truly all that is important really.

Even the feet themselves have been gifted to us by God, and I am sure that any creation of God is divine, whether or not it touches the ground.

Blessed be.

37solder01

SPNer
Sep 6, 2012
Hi,

Sorry for the late response. I could not access my account that i made for some reason, i entered my password but it said it was wrong, i reset it and the password emailed to me did not work also. I had to make a new account.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Someone asked why I have ik onkar and khanda tattooed... well the khanda was the first tattoo i ever got. I was young, lost, and i needed something to identify with, something to belong to, naturally i turned to religion. I value and appreciate god in my daily life, I have lots of tattoos, some meaningful, others not so much, out of everything i could get tattooed i felt as though religion is important, it makes me feel good and i feel as though it pays tribute to where i come from. I never got it so other people could see or to impress anyone. My tattoos are almost never visible and I just get them for myself. I was just concerned when i saw the video on youtube where some guy got the khandas on his knees and people were very upset.. it just got me to thinking. The guy in the video was also acting stupid and talking about getting drunk right after, that probably angered some also. Anyhow i just did not want to bring disrespect upon the khanda, I got it with good intentions and actually got it out of respect for the religion so i think that says a lot. I just wanted some input from you guys, thanks again i do appreciate it.

bscheema

SPNer
Jan 4, 2010
well almost every one in this world LOST somewhere , me too, nd to find something and get attached to it is human nature . i just want to say ki Sikh should wear actual ornaments given by God ,proposed by Guru's like hair. having beard and turban which are visible though ll make a lot of difference ...try it ....

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: